From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: bicycle crossing
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 12:14:57 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 16:14 UTC

Most of my bike trail rides have to cross highways and country roads.
Sometimes, motorists, attempting to be nice, will stop and wave me
across, apparently unaware of the danger of being rear-ended by
another vehicle. I am, however, aware of the danger of the rear-ender
accident pushing the "nice" driver's car into me, and I refuse to
cross.

In fact, at highway with lights and a pedestrian crossing signal, I
prefer to wait until the lights turn green and the cars have all gone
through. I don't like crossing in front of stopped cars after being
hit by one red-light running fool and almost involved in another, that
time a drunk.

Depending on the good will and/or the common sense of others is, IMHO,
foolhardy.

Re: bicycle crossing

<tha1k0$1d4pv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65118&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65118

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: bicycle crossing
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 18:41:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:eT1ZsokxyP4Uw7hP6Vto9R45EKM=
 by: Roger Merriman - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 18:41 UTC

Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:

> Most of my bike trail rides have to cross highways and country roads.
> Sometimes, motorists, attempting to be nice, will stop and wave me
> across, apparently unaware of the danger of being rear-ended by
> another vehicle. I am, however, aware of the danger of the rear-ender
> accident pushing the "nice" driver's car into me, and I refuse to
> cross.

I tend to ignore/wave folks on attempting to be nice as well london
junctions are busy so it’s rarely wise!

> In fact, at highway with lights and a pedestrian crossing signal, I
> prefer to wait until the lights turn green and the cars have all gone
> through. I don't like crossing in front of stopped cars after being
> hit by one red-light running fool and almost involved in another, that
> time a drunk.

Not really a option in london, way too much traffic to clear! Unless you
ride very early/late!

Though my old cycleway bypasses some junctions ie the cycleway goes under
the roundabout, via a underpass and the old road and though.

> Depending on the good will and/or the common sense of others is, IMHO,
> foolhardy.

Roger Merriman

Re: bicycle crossing

<6o2hjhdhs86bo56nurduunt9oj7kunuguh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65120&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65120

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 14:53:34 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 18:53 UTC

On Sat, 1 Oct 2022 18:41:05 -0000 (UTC), Roger Merriman
<roger@sarlet.com> wrote:

>Catrike Rider <soloman@drafting.not> wrote:
>>
>> Most of my bike trail rides have to cross highways and country roads.
>> Sometimes, motorists, attempting to be nice, will stop and wave me
>> across, apparently unaware of the danger of being rear-ended by
>> another vehicle. I am, however, aware of the danger of the rear-ender
>> accident pushing the "nice" driver's car into me, and I refuse to
>> cross.
>
>I tend to ignore/wave folks on attempting to be nice as well london
>junctions are busy so it’s rarely wise!
>>
>> In fact, at highway with lights and a pedestrian crossing signal, I
>> prefer to wait until the lights turn green and the cars have all gone
>> through. I don't like crossing in front of stopped cars after being
>> hit by one red-light running fool and almost involved in another, that
>> time a drunk.
>
>Not really a option in london, way too much traffic to clear! Unless you
>ride very early/late!
>
>Though my old cycleway bypasses some junctions ie the cycleway goes under
>the roundabout, via a underpass and the old road and though.
>>
>> Depending on the good will and/or the common sense of others is, IMHO,
>> foolhardy.
>>
>Roger Merriman

I've riddin in a big city years ago, but I have no reason to do that
any more. These days, the less people I see, hear, or otherwise
encounter, the more I enjoy the ride. A while back I was taking a
break at a shaded restop along the trail and a couple stopped and
tried to start a conversation. I was hooked in and gone before they
finished introducing themselves. One nice thing about the Catrike is
that you don't need to "dismount" to take a rest break.