Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: A possible solution to the halting problem
From: dpl...@coop.radagast.org (Dave Platt)
Originator: dplatt@coop.radagast.org (Dave Platt)
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 16:20:16 -0700
 by: Dave Platt - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 23:20 UTC

In article <37f719c4-7b74-46ae-ad75-7f6ccd93d3e4n@googlegroups.com>,
skybuck2000 <skybuck2000@hotmail.com> wrote:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeQX2HjkcNo
>
>After watching this video the conclusion may be the following:
>
>1. Contradictions are a problem in math.
>
>2. These contradictions seemed to be caused by "self-references".
>
>A possible solution to these problems are to:
>
>3. Detect self-references.
>
>4. Illiminate the self-references or break/solve the self-references.

Get yourself a copy of a book entitled "Gödel, Escher, Bach: an
Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas Hofstadter. It has a very
interesting exposition on this whole topic. It's a quirky
sort of work to read, but I think it's worth the effort.

The "halting problem" is just one aspect of a much larger problem
involving computability and decidability.

>H detected the real thruth by detecting itself ! HAHA.
>
>So if H can detect halt or infinity then it will no longer be tricked by any machine H+ incorporating itself H.

The "halting problem" isn't considered solved, unless the analysis
program is capable of correctly analysing _any_ working program, and
saying "yes, it halts" or "no, it does not halt".

Your solution doesn't do this. If it were implemented (and I'm not at
all sure that it is implementable) it would result in an analysis
program which has three possible outputs:

(1) "Yes, the program under consideration will halt when fed the input in question."
(2) "No, the program under consideration will not halt when fed the input in question."
(3) "I refuse to try to answer that question, because the program under consideration
looks too much like me."

Answer 3 would be considered a cop-out. You can perhaps keep the
analyzer from getting stuck in a contradiction, but this means that it
cannot give correct answers to all sets of input.

>So this reduces the halting problem/question to:
>
>Can H detect itself given any program/version of itself ! ;)

And this reduction gets you right back to where you started. Can
program H, when fed H+, be guaranteed to answer the question "Do I
appear inside H+?" correctly in any finite amount of time?

Or, phrasing it another way - is there a program "H-safe?" which can
be fed H and H+, and decide (yes or no) whether H is embedded inside
H+?

If so, what happens if you feed H-safe? a copy of H-safe? and H?

The problem of detecting self-references is a pervasive and tricky
one... it's not as easy to get rid of as your idea suggests. You just
end up moving the self-reference problem "one level up" and it comes
back.

Re: A possible solution to the halting problem

<97f3103c-52d6-470c-af53-1cfcb939d498n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85911&group=sci.electronics.design#85911

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 13:11:07 -0800 (PST)
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
 by: skybuck2000 - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 21:11 UTC

> (1) "Yes, the program under consideration will halt when fed the input in question."
> (2) "No, the program under consideration will not halt when fed the input in question."
> (3) "I refuse to try to answer that question, because the program under consideration
> looks too much like me."
>
> Answer 3 would be considered a cop-out. You can perhaps keep the
> analyzer from getting stuck in a contradiction, but this means that it
> cannot give correct answers to all sets of input.

No you're wrong.

Step 1. Split the program in detecting H and H+.

Analyze H and H+ seperately.

Alan lived during a time of war, any war arguments are valid, to counter his war arguments.

I wasn't looking for your post, but the logic equivalence post of somebody else.

Again also take time and order into account.

My first capture H, if H can prevent capture because of self-awareness, H+ cannot even be build.

Second argument against halting problem.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Re: A possible solution to the halting problem

<3fa567a5-6229-419c-a319-411137b2097bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85922&group=sci.electronics.design#85922

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 15:32:36 -0800 (PST)
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
 by: skybuck2000 - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 23:32 UTC

Let's put this argument to rest once and for all:

1. Skybuck builds Machine H.
2. Alan captures Machine H.
3. Alan builds Machine H+ around machine H.
4. Alan feeds Machine H+ into itself.
5. Skybuck's Machine H detects Machine H inside Machine H+.
6. Skybuck's Machine H detects parasite code of Machine H+.
7. Skybuck's Machine H isolates parasite code of Machine H+.
8. Skybuck's Machine H analyzes parasite code of Machine H+.
9. Skybuck's Machine H outputs result for parasite code.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Re: A possible solution to the halting problem

<sqcigb$8hh$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=85962&group=sci.electronics.design#85962

From: Decadent...@decadence.org