All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Ride Bike

SubjectAuthor
* Ride BikeTom Kunich
+* Re: Ride BikeFrank Krygowski
|+- Re: Ride BikeJohn B.
|`* Re: Ride BikeCatrike Rider
| `* Re: Ride BikeFrank Krygowski
|  +- Re: Ride BikeCatrike Rider
|  `* Re: Ride BikeRoger Merriman
|   +* Re: Ride Bikefunkma...@hotmail.com
|   |`* Re: Ride BikeRoger Merriman
|   | `* Re: Ride BikeFrank Krygowski
|   |  `- Re: Ride BikeRoger Merriman
|   `* Re: Ride BikeCatrike Rider
|    `* Re: Ride BikeFrank Krygowski
|     `* Re: Ride BikeCatrike Rider
|      `* Re: Ride BikeFrank Krygowski
|       `- Re: Ride BikeCatrike Rider
`* Re: Ride Bikefunkma...@hotmail.com
 `* Re: Ride BikeJohn B.
  `- Re: Ride Bikefunkma...@hotmail.com

1
Ride Bike

<d2bcd348-69b2-46e5-bc25-f1596cfb3f0dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65341&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65341

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 14:14:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Ride Bike
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 21:14 UTC

Why do you suppose that the people making all of the noise on this group doesn't ride bicycles?

It isn't as if this group is about anything other than riding bike.

"Duh, back when I was 12 I rode a bike once so that makes me an expert."

Re: Ride Bike

<thfqap$2b8k6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65352&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65352

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Ride Bike
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 19:13:28 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 23:13 UTC

On 10/3/2022 5:14 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> Why do you suppose that the people making all of the noise on this group doesn't ride bicycles?
>
> It isn't as if this group is about anything other than riding bike.
>
> "Duh, back when I was 12 I rode a bike once so that makes me an expert."

What does it take to be qualified as an expert?

We have Tom, who proclaims himself to be an expert on economics,
medicine, religion, military strategy, history, sociology, electronics,
and much more, including of course bicycling. Nobody seems to agree with
his proclamations, but he continues to make them.

And the majority of Tom's few bicycle-related posts are complaints or
pleas for help about things not working: handlebars, bottom brackets,
derailleurs, cables, navigation systems, or whatever.

Also, from what I can tell, Tom has ridden in perhaps only three states
out of 50. He's never mentioned riding in a different country. Since he
believes he already knows everything, he's never taken a cycling class.
He's never given evidence of having read a single book on cycling. He
doesn't seem to have ever had a cycling-related article published. He's
never mentioned riding at night and never mentioned riding for any
purpose but "training," all done on carbon-copy road or "racing" bikes.
And even his training claims turned out to be very suspicious, once
people located data on his rides. (10.5 mph average?)

I'll remind Tom that Sheldon Brown was considered a world-class expert
on bicycling long after he was unable to ride at all. In addition to
actually being able to _successfully_ build, assemble and maintain
bikes, Sheldon rode many styles of bikes for many purposes, including
for practical transportation. He did extensive touring by bike,
including overseas, he rode day and night, he modified bikes for
practical uses. He did far, far more than "training." (BTW, he also did
far, far more than riding back and forth on multi-use paths.)

Don't grade yourself too easily, Tom. You do not qualify as an "expert."

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Ride Bike

<ekrmjhdq5cfsb1m3qiqdoqlauta3v034sn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65354&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65354

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 06:21:52 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 23:21 UTC

On Mon, 3 Oct 2022 19:13:28 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 10/3/2022 5:14 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>> Why do you suppose that the people making all of the noise on this group doesn't ride bicycles?
>>
>> It isn't as if this group is about anything other than riding bike.
>>
>> "Duh, back when I was 12 I rode a bike once so that makes me an expert."
>
>What does it take to be qualified as an expert?
>
>We have Tom, who proclaims himself to be an expert on economics,
>medicine, religion, military strategy, history, sociology, electronics,
>and much more, including of course bicycling. Nobody seems to agree with
>his proclamations, but he continues to make them.
>
>And the majority of Tom's few bicycle-related posts are complaints or
>pleas for help about things not working: handlebars, bottom brackets,
>derailleurs, cables, navigation systems, or whatever.
>
>Also, from what I can tell, Tom has ridden in perhaps only three states
>out of 50. He's never mentioned riding in a different country. Since he
>believes he already knows everything, he's never taken a cycling class.
>He's never given evidence of having read a single book on cycling. He
>doesn't seem to have ever had a cycling-related article published. He's
>never mentioned riding at night and never mentioned riding for any
>purpose but "training," all done on carbon-copy road or "racing" bikes.
>And even his training claims turned out to be very suspicious, once
>people located data on his rides. (10.5 mph average?)
>
>I'll remind Tom that Sheldon Brown was considered a world-class expert
>on bicycling long after he was unable to ride at all. In addition to
>actually being able to _successfully_ build, assemble and maintain
>bikes, Sheldon rode many styles of bikes for many purposes, including
>for practical transportation. He did extensive touring by bike,
>including overseas, he rode day and night, he modified bikes for
>practical uses. He did far, far more than "training." (BTW, he also did
>far, far more than riding back and forth on multi-use paths.)
>
>Don't grade yourself too easily, Tom. You do not qualify as an "expert."

Tommy seems to be a rather glowing example of the Dunning-Kruger
Effect, which, in simple terms, says that dumb people are too dumb to
realize how dumb they really are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7NdrkKD8Vk
https://www.britannica.com/science/Dunning-Kruger-effect
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Ride Bike

<jsrmjhh62r42nkh910a8ftcb8djfvrbmis@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65357&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65357

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 19:36:05 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 23:36 UTC

On Mon, 3 Oct 2022 19:13:28 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 10/3/2022 5:14 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>> Why do you suppose that the people making all of the noise on this group doesn't ride bicycles?
>>
>> It isn't as if this group is about anything other than riding bike.
>>
>> "Duh, back when I was 12 I rode a bike once so that makes me an expert."
>
>What does it take to be qualified as an expert?

Why would anyone care? If and when I want advice, I'll take a look in
lots of places and assess the information I see, instead of the
advisor. Advice has got to make sense to me before I take it. Many
people calling themselves "expert" have an entirely different agenda.

Riding my bike in the middle of the road makes no sense to me so I
won't be doing it. Riding a bike for transportation makes no sense to
me so I won't be doing it.

>We have Tom, who proclaims himself to be an expert on economics,
>medicine, religion, military strategy, history, sociology, electronics,
>and much more, including of course bicycling. Nobody seems to agree with
>his proclamations, but he continues to make them.
>
>And the majority of Tom's few bicycle-related posts are complaints or
>pleas for help about things not working: handlebars, bottom brackets,
>derailleurs, cables, navigation systems, or whatever.
>
>Also, from what I can tell, Tom has ridden in perhaps only three states
>out of 50. He's never mentioned riding in a different country. Since he
>believes he already knows everything, he's never taken a cycling class.
>He's never given evidence of having read a single book on cycling. He
>doesn't seem to have ever had a cycling-related article published. He's
>never mentioned riding at night and never mentioned riding for any
>purpose but "training," all done on carbon-copy road or "racing" bikes.
>And even his training claims turned out to be very suspicious, once
>people located data on his rides. (10.5 mph average?)
>
>I'll remind Tom that Sheldon Brown was considered a world-class expert
>on bicycling long after he was unable to ride at all. In addition to
>actually being able to _successfully_ build, assemble and maintain
>bikes, Sheldon rode many styles of bikes for many purposes, including
>for practical transportation. He did extensive touring by bike,
>including overseas, he rode day and night, he modified bikes for
>practical uses. He did far, far more than "training." (BTW, he also did
>far, far more than riding back and forth on multi-use paths.)
>
>Don't grade yourself too easily, Tom. You do not qualify as an "expert."

Re: Ride Bike

<thg32l$2em4o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65360&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65360

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 21:42:43 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 01:42 UTC

On 10/3/2022 7:36 PM, Catrike Rider wrote:

> Riding my bike in the middle of the road makes no sense to me so I
> won't be doing it. Riding a bike for transportation makes no sense to
> me so I won't be doing it.

SO timid!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Ride Bike

<mirnjh1ha4cl4ue0h8odkpctib93fete8k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65367&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65367

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 04:27:42 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 08:27 UTC

On Mon, 3 Oct 2022 21:42:43 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> Riding my bike in the middle of the road makes no sense to me so I
>> won't be doing it. Riding a bike for transportation makes no sense to
>> me so I won't be doing it.
>
>SO timid!
>
>--
>- Frank Krygowski
... is so jealous...

Re: Ride Bike

<08d3bc1e-7fc0-443d-8efa-164e7d3e47a1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65368&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65368

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 02:54:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 09:54 UTC

On Monday, October 3, 2022 at 5:14:25 PM UTC-4, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Why do you suppose that the people making all of the noise on this group doesn't ride bicycles?
>
> It isn't as if this group is about anything other than riding bike.
>
> "Duh, back when I was 12 I rode a bike once so that makes me an expert."

You've never done a lot of things that you claim you're an expert in.
The things you _have_ done that you claim expertise in clearly contradicted by your inane statements.

special non-stretch campy shifter cables, anyone?
PWM cable testers, anyone?

Re: Ride Bike

<652ojhtevrq919eg16rne5gnjb50k39doi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65372&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65372

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 17:19:29 +0700
 by: John B. - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 10:19 UTC

On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 02:54:21 -0700 (PDT), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
<funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, October 3, 2022 at 5:14:25 PM UTC-4, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Why do you suppose that the people making all of the noise on this group doesn't ride bicycles?
>>
>> It isn't as if this group is about anything other than riding bike.
>>
>> "Duh, back when I was 12 I rode a bike once so that makes me an expert."
>
>You've never done a lot of things that you claim you're an expert in.
>The things you _have_ done that you claim expertise in clearly contradicted by your inane statements.
>
>special non-stretch campy shifter cables, anyone?
>PWM cable testers, anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7NdrkKD8Vk
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Ride Bike

<ef111174-b845-4843-b515-15dfa97c9571n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65374&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65374

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 03:30:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 10:30 UTC

On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 6:19:34 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 02:54:21 -0700 (PDT), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
> <funkma...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Monday, October 3, 2022 at 5:14:25 PM UTC-4, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> Why do you suppose that the people making all of the noise on this group doesn't ride bicycles?
> >>
> >> It isn't as if this group is about anything other than riding bike.
> >>
> >> "Duh, back when I was 12 I rode a bike once so that makes me an expert."
> >
> >You've never done a lot of things that you claim you're an expert in.
> >The things you _have_ done that you claim expertise in clearly contradicted by your inane statements.
> >
> >special non-stretch campy shifter cables, anyone?
> >PWM cable testers, anyone?
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7NdrkKD8Vk
> --
> Cheers,
>
> John B.

Kunich is a text book example of Dunning-Kruger, as has often been stated in this forum:

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/lfDHxt1BrdU/m/m-w5tzcCAwAJ

Then there's this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Mitty

Re: Ride Bike

<thh529$2l1jf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65379&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65379

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 11:22:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:4mB4QmH2g3y5a2fRR6BoDZa43A8=
 by: Roger Merriman - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 11:22 UTC

Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 10/3/2022 7:36 PM, Catrike Rider wrote:
>>
>> Riding my bike in the middle of the road makes no sense to me so I
>> won't be doing it. Riding a bike for transportation makes no sense to
>> me so I won't be doing it.
>
> SO timid!

Most of my annual miles are commuting, it generally makes more sense.

Yes I’m lucky in that I can link stuff together for a pleasant and mostly
green spaces route. But it’s also less hassle than the rest in general.

Roger Merriman

Re: Ride Bike

<a03ab0ce-43ad-4c70-b011-2d0dc702c243n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65380&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65380

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 04:52:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 11:52 UTC

On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 7:22:52 AM UTC-4, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Frank Krygowski <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > On 10/3/2022 7:36 PM, Catrike Rider wrote:
> >>
> >> Riding my bike in the middle of the road makes no sense to me so I
> >> won't be doing it. Riding a bike for transportation makes no sense to
> >> me so I won't be doing it.
> >
> > SO timid!
> >
> Most of my annual miles are commuting, it generally makes more sense.
>
> Yes I’m lucky in that I can link stuff together for a pleasant and mostly
> green spaces route. But it’s also less hassle than the rest in general.
>
> Roger Merriman

Most of my miles are commuting as well, but I'm still stuck with riding through some areas with heavy commuter traffic if I take the shortest route (~21 miles), I hit 22 traffic lights. I can minimize that down to 4 lights making the trip 28 miles which also gets me off commuting routes through farmland and woods. In the afternoons I'll take the long route and many times add extra to get in a couple hours at least, but when riding into work I like to keep the trip as short as possible so I usually take the heavy stoplight route, and besides, I always like the opportunity to hop into the traffic draft. My PR for the 'short' commute is 54:50. I was one of those kids that when some one would tell me to go play in traffic, I would say "cool..."

Re: Ride Bike

<3t9ojhlhj8c1g1odid92ok5hhq77afvm7n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65383&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65383

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 08:33:07 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 12:33 UTC

On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 11:22:49 -0000 (UTC), Roger Merriman
<roger@sarlet.com> wrote:

>Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 10/3/2022 7:36 PM, Catrike Rider wrote:
>>>
>>> Riding my bike in the middle of the road makes no sense to me so I
>>> won't be doing it. Riding a bike for transportation makes no sense to
>>> me so I won't be doing it.
>>
>> SO timid!
>>
>Most of my annual miles are commuting, it generally makes more sense.
>
>Yes I’m lucky in that I can link stuff together for a pleasant and mostly
>green spaces route. But it’s also less hassle than the rest in general.
>
>Roger Merriman

I'm pretty much retired, so commuting is not required. I only ride for
the fun of it.. and maybe because it's good exorcize

Re: Ride Bike

<thho2t$2mpgj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65396&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65396

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 12:47:25 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 16:47 UTC

On 10/4/2022 8:33 AM, Catrike Rider wrote:

> I'm pretty much retired, so commuting is not required. I only ride for
> the fun of it.. and maybe because it's good exorcize

Trying to get rid of your demons? :-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Ride Bike

<mepojhpp6m6ibnekc6jir5bgffciuoci25@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65399&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65399

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 12:58:03 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 16:58 UTC

On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 12:47:25 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 10/4/2022 8:33 AM, Catrike Rider wrote:
>>
>> I'm pretty much retired, so commuting is not required. I only ride for
>> the fun of it.. and maybe because it's good exorcize
>
>Trying to get rid of your demons? :-)

Well, yes, actually. My solo bike rides do that. Maybe you should give
it a try... Oh wait...

BTW, spelling flames are a sign of someone with nothing to say and too
much idle time on their hands.. Why don't you go for a bike ride? Oh
wait.

Re: Ride Bike

<thi1u0$2nq3n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65406&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65406

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 19:35:28 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:5CmgjDovxGy0Hgb2PgwzzdY+yno=
 by: Roger Merriman - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 19:35 UTC

funkma...@hotmail.com <funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 7:22:52 AM UTC-4, Roger Merriman wrote:
>> Frank Krygowski <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> SO timid!
>>>
>> Most of my annual miles are commuting, it generally makes more sense.
>>
>> Yes I’m lucky in that I can link stuff together for a pleasant and mostly
>> green spaces route. But it’s also less hassle than the rest in general.
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>
> Most of my miles are commuting as well, but I'm still stuck with riding
> through some areas with heavy commuter traffic if I take the shortest
> route (~21 miles), I hit 22 traffic lights. I can minimize that down to 4
> lights making the trip 28 miles which also gets me off commuting routes
> through farmland and woods. In the afternoons I'll take the long route
> and many times add extra to get in a couple hours at least, but when
> riding into work I like to keep the trip as short as possible so I
> usually take the heavy stoplight route, and besides, I always like the
> opportunity to hop into the traffic draft. My PR for the 'short' commute
> is 54:50. I was one of those kids that when some one would tell me to go
> play in traffic, I would say "cool..."

My direct route is just under 10 miles and 16 traffic lights as the most
direct route is via some quiet roads plus park initially, purely on road
adds another 4 or so.

Most I’ll expect to be used even if pedestrian crossing. It’s much better
with faster bikes but even so fairly tedious route.

On the two normal routes which I flip flop between the woods I’ll pass two
lights over 10 miles, the parks 9 over 12 miles though two are rarely used.

Depends a lot on the area the commute bike is a slow heavy lump if
comfortable and forgiving ie potholes and what not are simply not worrying,
but some faster roads you need to be more proactive, that if I’ve come
along on the Gravel bike which is by some margin faster.

Roger Merriman

Re: Ride Bike

<d63bc100-bb77-4a99-94ff-f97d5247d8e8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65419&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65419

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 20:11:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: frkry...@gmail.com (Frank Krygowski)
 by: Frank Krygowski - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 03:11 UTC

On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 12:58:04 PM UTC-4, Catrike Rider wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 12:47:25 -0400, Frank Krygowski
> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >On 10/4/2022 8:33 AM, Catrike Rider wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm pretty much retired, so commuting is not required. I only ride for
> >> the fun of it.. and maybe because it's good exorcize
> >
> >Trying to get rid of your demons? :-)
> Well, yes, actually. My solo bike rides do that. Maybe you should give
> it a try... Oh wait...
>
> BTW, spelling flames are a sign of someone with nothing to say ...

You considered that little quip a "flame"??

Wow. You really are delicate!

- Frank Krygowski

Re: Ride Bike

<jdfqjh5v0rhj6ilkns9bjakn43tcigm9j9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65421&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65421

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 04:20:52 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 08:20 UTC

On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 20:11:28 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 12:58:04 PM UTC-4, Catrike Rider wrote:
>> On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 12:47:25 -0400, Frank Krygowski
>> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> >Trying to get rid of your demons? :-)
>> Well, yes, actually. My solo bike rides do that. Maybe you should give
>> it a try... Oh wait...
>>
>> BTW, spelling flames are a sign of someone with nothing to say ...
>
>You considered that little quip a "flame"??
>
>Wow. You really are delicate!
>
>- Frank Krygowski

<chuckle> That's from a former "bicycle guy" who can only ride short
distances on the passenger seat of a tandem and is afraid to ride on
the extreme right of roads where most road bikers ride. Talk about
delicacy.

Re: Ride Bike

<thkeoc$319dk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65437&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65437

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 13:26:35 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 17:26 UTC

On 10/4/2022 3:35 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
> funkma...@hotmail.com <funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Most of my annual miles are commuting, it generally makes more sense.
>>>
>>> Yes I’m lucky in that I can link stuff together for a pleasant and mostly
>>> green spaces route. But it’s also less hassle than the rest in general.
>>>
>>> Roger Merriman
>>
>> Most of my miles are commuting as well, but I'm still stuck with riding
>> through some areas with heavy commuter traffic if I take the shortest
>> route (~21 miles), I hit 22 traffic lights. I can minimize that down to 4
>> lights making the trip 28 miles which also gets me off commuting routes
>> through farmland and woods. In the afternoons I'll take the long route
>> and many times add extra to get in a couple hours at least, but when
>> riding into work I like to keep the trip as short as possible so I
>> usually take the heavy stoplight route, and besides, I always like the
>> opportunity to hop into the traffic draft. My PR for the 'short' commute
>> is 54:50. I was one of those kids that when some one would tell me to go
>> play in traffic, I would say "cool..."
>>
> My direct route is just under 10 miles and 16 traffic lights as the most
> direct route is via some quiet roads plus park initially, purely on road
> adds another 4 or so.
>
> Most I’ll expect to be used even if pedestrian crossing. It’s much better
> with faster bikes but even so fairly tedious route.
>
> On the two normal routes which I flip flop between the woods I’ll pass two
> lights over 10 miles, the parks 9 over 12 miles though two are rarely used.

When I accepted a job and moved here many decades ago, one of the
criteria when buying a house was a location that aided biking to work. I
was lucky to find a place with a really nice bike route into the city
center. All but 150 feet or so were on ordinary streets, but traffic was
usually fairly light on those streets. There were only a dozen traffic
lights along the seven mile route, plus a few stop signs. Downhill most
of the way in, with a final climb of maybe 50 feet. The workout came
when riding home, which was perfect.

I rode that route consistently for several years, then began exploring
other routes inward or homeward when I had time. Eventually I probably
rode every feasible route home. Close to retirement I'd go pretty far
out of my way to ride home via the large metro park.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Ride Bike

<thkm7j$325a8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=65447&group=rec.bicycles.tech#65447

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 19:34:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:c+xkc0/ezS8V+1LkVNOW2mWaAZY=
 by: Roger Merriman - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 19:34 UTC

Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 10/4/2022 3:35 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
>> funkma...@hotmail.com <funkmasterxx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Most of my miles are commuting as well, but I'm still stuck with riding
>>> through some areas with heavy commuter traffic if I take the shortest
>>> route (~21 miles), I hit 22 traffic lights. I can minimize that down to 4
>>> lights making the trip 28 miles which also gets me off commuting routes
>>> through farmland and woods. In the afternoons I'll take the long route
>>> and many times add extra to get in a couple hours at least, but when
>>> riding into work I like to keep the trip as short as possible so I
>>> usually take the heavy stoplight route, and besides, I always like the
>>> opportunity to hop into the traffic draft. My PR for the 'short' commute
>>> is 54:50. I was one of those kids that when some one would tell me to go
>>> play in traffic, I would say "cool..."
>>>
>> My direct route is just under 10 miles and 16 traffic lights as the most
>> direct route is via some quiet roads plus park initially, purely on road
>> adds another 4 or so.
>>
>> Most I’ll expect to be used even if pedestrian crossing. It’s much better
>> with faster bikes but even so fairly tedious route.
>>
>> On the two normal routes which I flip flop between the woods I’ll pass two
>> lights over 10 miles, the parks 9 over 12 miles though two are rarely used.
>
> When I accepted a job and moved here many decades ago, one of the
> criteria when buying a house was a location that aided biking to work. I
> was lucky to find a place with a really nice bike route into the city
> center. All but 150 feet or so were on ordinary streets, but traffic was
> usually fairly light on those streets. There were only a dozen traffic
> lights along the seven mile route, plus a few stop signs. Downhill most
> of the way in, with a final climb of maybe 50 feet. The workout came
> when riding home, which was perfect.
>
> I rode that route consistently for several years, then began exploring
> other routes inward or homeward when I had time. Eventually I probably
> rode every feasible route home. Close to retirement I'd go pretty far
> out of my way to ride home via the large metro park.

My work has and potentially almost certainly will move again such is the
nature of the job.

This said I’ve commuted across one park for a getting on for 20 years by
now.

Roger Merriman

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Ride Bike