From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: More Metal Vendor Mysteries
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 15:17:28 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 22:17 UTC

As you know I'm always checking materials price, availability, and
processing time.

I was about to place an order for some steel from Midwest when I
remembered Xometry is sometimes competitive with Midwest at the single
piece price level. For multiple pieces the same Midwest is always
cheaper. Anyway, I was about to place an order for 4 72inch pieces (all
different dimensions) from Midwest and just hunker down for the long
wait when I decided to plug in the same parts at Xometry.

They were 13 dollars more expensive for the stock and 28 dollars less
expensive on shipping. Once I found where to plug in the discount code
shown on their website ( XS-12148 ) for ten percent off the material was
only $2 more expensive than Midwest.

Now here is the kicker, the advertised processing time from Xometry is
ONE (1) day. I have ordered from them maybe 8-10 times in the past, and
my experience has been their time to process and ship and order is ONE
(1) day. Often if I order earlier in the day its processed THE SAME
DAY. Its late in the day so I expect my order will be processed on
Monday.

Net total Midwest 170.59
Claimed processing time is 2-3 days.
Last actual was 7 business days - 11 calendar days.

Net total Xometry 132.36
Claimed processing time is 1 business day.
Last actual time was 1 business day.

www.avg.com