From: 2b338300...@example.com (Matt)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Bending metal part
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!news.nntp4.net!nntp.terraraq.uk!news1.firedrake.org!fnord.no!uucp.uio.no!border-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!feeder1-2.proxad.net!proxad.net!feeder1-1.proxad.net!193.141.40.65.MISMATCH!npeer.as286.net!npeer-ng0.as286.net!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr2.iad1.usenetexpress.com!news.newsgroupdirect.com!not-for-mail
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 14:15:03 +0000
 by: Matt - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 14:15 UTC

I am currently baffled on how to bend or even make this part. Has anyone any ideas?
https://www.polytechforum.com/img/tcx

--
For full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalworking/bending-metal-part-1557394-.htm

Re: Bending metal part

<64cbcb06-3aea-461d-a0c2-55002b689844n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6568&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6568

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 09:12:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Bending metal part
From: alarm_wi...@hotmail.com (Bob La Londe)
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 26 Oct 2022 16:12 UTC

On Wednesday, October 26, 2022 at 7:15:06 AM UTC-7, Matt wrote:
> I am currently baffled on how to bend or even make this part. Has anyone any ideas?
> https://www.polytechforum.com/img/tcx
>
> --
> For full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalworking/bending-metal-part-1557394-.htm
Ron covell on YouTube has some great videos on metalforming. He probably has some of the best approaches you could try for one-off shaping. His methods also show how to make forms and jigs for small production runs. There is another guy on YouTube who seems to do mostly automotive related work that has some great tips on forming sheet metal as well, but I can't remember the name of his channel. If I think of it later I'll post it.

Re: Bending metal part

<tjettu$1sht$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6573&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6573

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 14:41:17 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Thu, 27 Oct 2022 21:41 UTC

On 10/26/2022 7:15 AM, Matt wrote:
> I am currently baffled on how to bend or even make this part. Has anyone
> any ideas?
> https://www.polytechforum.com/img/tcx

Make it Kustom is the other channel I was thinking of.

www.avg.com

Re: Bending metal part

<tjf1o4$2s59i$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6575&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6575

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 18:45:49 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Thu, 27 Oct 2022 22:45 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:tjettu$1sht$1@gioia.aioe.org...

On 10/26/2022 7:15 AM, Matt wrote:
> I am currently baffled on how to bend or even make this part. Has anyone
> any ideas?
> https://www.polytechforum.com/img/tcx

Make it Kustom is the other channel I was thinking of.

----------------------

Matching the form looks like it would require a very expensive die set, or
simpler linear bending plus skilled welding to attach the ends. Matching the
function might be simpler if you can square the ends, then it's a job for a
press or finger brake.

Re: Bending metal part

<tjk64d$hs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6581&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6581

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 14:31:55 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sat, 29 Oct 2022 21:31 UTC

On 10/27/2022 3:45 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Bob La Londe"  wrote in message news:tjettu$1sht$1@gioia.aioe.org...
>
> On 10/26/2022 7:15 AM, Matt wrote:
>> I am currently baffled on how to bend or even make this part. Has
>> anyone any ideas?
>> https://www.polytechforum.com/img/tcx
>>

> Make it Kustom is the other channel I was thinking of.
>
> ----------------------
>
> Matching the form looks like it would require a very expensive die set,
> or simpler linear bending plus skilled welding to attach the ends.
> Matching the function might be simpler if you can square the ends, then
> it's a job for a press or finger brake.

I didn't really study the OPs image much, but Ron makes some pretty
decent shapes using MDF and other easy to work with material for forms.
Make It Custom often makes some free hand forms from steel.

A long long time ago when I was relatively new to this group I needed a
mounting plate to recess a photo electric emitter and sensor in a
walkway to reduce wear on the lens surfaces from casual traffic. Upon
some guidance from this group I made a punch and die free hand from A36
with a drill, jigsaw, bench grinder, and Dremel(*) tool. I would set
the die inside of an aluminum electrical cover plate, and press the
punch down with my hydraulic press aligning the parts by eye. This
created a nicely centered rectangular recess in the plate. I then
drilled a hole to snap in the emitter or sensor. It last for many years
working as pass through counters in a fairly busy port of entry. My
biggest issue was protecting the electronics. Not the lenses. People
(mostly their clothing) did brush the plates, but the wear on the lens
did not degrade them enough to be an issue. If I had left them proud on
a flat plate I am 100% certain it would have been an issue. Anyway, my
admittedly simpler punch and die were hand made with materials I had
laying around.

Any of the methods suggested may work for a one off part.

(*) That was before I learned that as machine tools go Dremel tools are
pretty terrible compared to even a cheap proper rotary hand-piece
flex-shaft tool.

www.avg.com