From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Heavy Duty Vacuum Hose
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 18:53:35 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 01:53 UTC

Back in 2019 I mentioned it here on this group, and it had been in use a
while before that. I couldn't find when I had originally purchased it.
It finally started having failures a couple days ago. This was the
Rigid Pro Grade hose from the big box store. I seem to recall it was
around 35-40 dollars. Looks like its almost $50 to replace it now.

I use it everyday to get the bulk of chips out of machine cabinets. (No
fancy chip management in my shop sadly.) I'm actually still using it
even though its failing. Looks like all those metal chips have worn
through the inner side of the pleats in a couple places.

Given the volume of sharp metal chips that go through it everyday I
don't think that's to bad. A lot better than the hoses the vacuums come
with. I might just go buy a couple more of them.

www.avg.com

Re: Heavy Duty Vacuum Hose

<1pk9lhp8sptt05lkenv3qjormd8r0m6s7d@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6554&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6554

From: char...@xxx.net (Charlie+)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Heavy Duty Vacuum Hose
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 06:41:44 +0100
 by: Charlie+ - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 05:41 UTC

On Sat, 22 Oct 2022 18:53:35 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote
as underneath :

>Back in 2019 I mentioned it here on this group, and it had been in use a
>while before that. I couldn't find when I had originally purchased it.
>It finally started having failures a couple days ago. This was the
>Rigid Pro Grade hose from the big box store. I seem to recall it was
>around 35-40 dollars. Looks like its almost $50 to replace it now.
>
>I use it everyday to get the bulk of chips out of machine cabinets. (No
>fancy chip management in my shop sadly.) I'm actually still using it
>even though its failing. Looks like all those metal chips have worn
>through the inner side of the pleats in a couple places.
>
>Given the volume of sharp metal chips that go through it everyday I
>don't think that's to bad. A lot better than the hoses the vacuums come
>with. I might just go buy a couple more of them.

Temporary bodge mends using plastic tape and cotton string to pull into
the folds? Had a Vax hose mended like that about 15 years ago still in
use, not heavy wear out use like yours.. C+

Re: Heavy Duty Vacuum Hose

<hla5L.445190$wLZ8.402001@fx18.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6555&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6555

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: someb...@nowhere.com (ABLE1)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 08:21:31 -0400
 by: ABLE1 - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 12:21 UTC

On 10/22/2022 9:53 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> Back in 2019 I mentioned it here on this group, and it had been in use a
> while before that.  I couldn't find when I had originally purchased it.
> It finally started having failures a couple days ago.  This was the
> Rigid Pro Grade hose from the big box store.  I seem to recall it was
> around 35-40 dollars.  Looks like its almost $50 to replace it now.
>
> I use it everyday to get the bulk of chips out of machine cabinets.  (No
> fancy chip management in my shop sadly.)  I'm actually still using it
> even though its failing.  Looks like all those metal chips have worn
> through the inner side of the pleats in a couple places.
>
> Given the volume of sharp metal chips that go through it everyday I
> don't think that's to bad.  A lot better than the hoses the vacuums come
> with.  I might just go buy a couple more of them.

Bob,

Based upon your usage have you tried or considered a section of Flex
Sealtight Conduit?? I am sure it will be a bit heavier but depending on
a number of unknown factors that could be a plus or a minus.

Just a thought...................

Les

Re: Heavy Duty Vacuum Hose

<q66rlhdqnchcahp0tvh9if53uf9gba6c48@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6580&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6580

From: randy...@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 17:22:23 -0400
 by: randy...@aol.com - Sat, 29 Oct 2022 21:22 UTC

On Sun, 23 Oct 2022 08:21:31 -0400, ABLE1 <somebody@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On 10/22/2022 9:53 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> Back in 2019 I mentioned it here on this group, and it had been in use a
>> while before that.  I couldn't find when I had originally purchased it.
>> It finally started having failures a couple days ago.  This was the
>> Rigid Pro Grade hose from the big box store.  I seem to recall it was
>> around 35-40 dollars.  Looks like its almost $50 to replace it now.
>>
>> I use it everyday to get the bulk of chips out of machine cabinets.  (No
>> fancy chip management in my shop sadly.)  I'm actually still using it
>> even though its failing.  Looks like all those metal chips have worn
>> through the inner side of the pleats in a couple places.
>>
>> Given the volume of sharp metal chips that go through it everyday I
>> don't think that's to bad.  A lot better than the hoses the vacuums come
>> with.  I might just go buy a couple more of them.
>>

>Bob,
>
>Based upon your usage have you tried or considered a section of Flex
>Sealtight Conduit?? I am sure it will be a bit heavier but depending on
>a number of unknown factors that could be a plus or a minus.
>
>Just a thought...................
>
>Les

That would last forever, but I don't think sealtite has a lot of
flexability and is heavy.

For keeping plastic chips under control I just switched to wood
workers dust collection hose, much more flex than shop vac hose.
Connected to some 2-1/2" loc-line with a magnetic mount keeps the
chips on the lathe under control.

Randy

Re: Heavy Duty Vacuum Hose

<tjk6gr$3mi1e$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6582&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6582

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 14:38:34 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sat, 29 Oct 2022 21:38 UTC

On 10/29/2022 2:22 PM, randy333@aol.com wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Oct 2022 08:21:31 -0400, ABLE1 <somebody@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/22/2022 9:53 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>>> Back in 2019 I mentioned it here on this group, and it had been in use a
>>> while before that.  I couldn't find when I had originally purchased it.
>>> It finally started having failures a couple days ago.  This was the
>>> Rigid Pro Grade hose from the big box store.  I seem to recall it was
>>> around 35-40 dollars.  Looks like its almost $50 to replace it now.
>>>
>>> I use it everyday to get the bulk of chips out of machine cabinets.  (No
>>> fancy chip management in my shop sadly.)  I'm actually still using it
>>> even though its failing.  Looks like all those metal chips have worn
>>> through the inner side of the pleats in a couple places.
>>>
>>> Given the volume of sharp metal chips that go through it everyday I
>>> don't think that's to bad.  A lot better than the hoses the vacuums come
>>> with.  I might just go buy a couple more of them.
>>>

>> Bob,
>>
>> Based upon your usage have you tried or considered a section of Flex
>> Sealtight Conduit?? I am sure it will be a bit heavier but depending on
>> a number of unknown factors that could be a plus or a minus.
>>
>> Just a thought...................
>>
>> Les
>>
> That would last forever, but I don't think sealtite has a lot of
> flexability and is heavy.
>
> For keeping plastic chips under control I just switched to wood
> workers dust collection hose, much more flex than shop vac hose.
> Connected to some 2-1/2" loc-line with a magnetic mount keeps the
> chips on the lathe under control.
>
> Randy

There are a few types of liquid tight flex conduit. Solid plastic which
is quite tough, and relatively stiff, and plastic coated metal which is
a little less stiff, but the plastic is not as tough. I don't think
either would be flexible enough for a free hand used vacuum cleanup
hose, but they might work in some mechanically limited applications. I
use some of the smaller solid plastic to route air lines to the quick
change spindles on a couple of my mills. I left a relatively large loop
so it has plenty of room to move as the head goes up and down.

I noted McMaster Carr has chip resistant hose for around the same price
per foot as the pro grade box store hose. I may try some of that. They
also have some much more expensive hose of course. LOL.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Heavy Duty Vacuum Hose

<d25dbb89-f94f-42be-a98b-e1720f023c3fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6585&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6585

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 20:28:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: sierrafl...@yahoo.com (Laura Allen)
 by: Laura Allen - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 03:28 UTC

On Saturday, October 29, 2022 at 2:38:39 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 10/29/2022 2:22 PM, rand...@aol.com wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Oct 2022 08:21:31 -0400, ABLE1 <some...@nowhere.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Bob,
> >>
> >> Based upon your usage have you tried or considered a section of Flex
> >> Sealtight Conduit?? I am sure it will be a bit heavier but depending on
> >> a number of unknown factors that could be a plus or a minus.
> >>
> >> Just a thought...................
> >>
> >> Les
> >>
> > That would last forever, but I don't think sealtite has a lot of
> > flexability and is heavy.
> >
> > For keeping plastic chips under control I just switched to wood
> > workers dust collection hose, much more flex than shop vac hose.
> > Connected to some 2-1/2" loc-line with a magnetic mount keeps the
> > chips on the lathe under control.
> >
> > Randy
> There are a few types of liquid tight flex conduit. Solid plastic which
> is quite tough, and relatively stiff, and plastic coated metal which is
> a little less stiff, but the plastic is not as tough. I don't think
> either would be flexible enough for a free hand used vacuum cleanup
> hose, but they might work in some mechanically limited applications. I
> use some of the smaller solid plastic to route air lines to the quick
> change spindles on a couple of my mills. I left a relatively large loop
> so it has plenty of room to move as the head goes up and down.
>
> I noted McMaster Carr has chip resistant hose for around the same price
> per foot as the pro grade box store hose. I may try some of that. They
> also have some much more expensive hose of course. LOL.
>

> --
> Bob La Londe
> CNC Molds N Stuff
> --
> www.avg.com

Get yourself a hunk of suction hose for a water/trash pump . it's a lil stiff but not as stiff as non metallic liquid flex conduit .
animal