We want to create puppets that pull their own strings. -- Ann Marion

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, researchers say

SubjectAuthor
* Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as theFred Bloggs
`* Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, resjlarkin
 +* Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as theFred Bloggs
 |+* Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, resRalph Mowery
 ||`- Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, resJohn Larkin
 |+* Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, resSpehro Pefhany
 ||`* Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as theFred Bloggs
 || +- Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, resFred Bloggs
 || `* Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, resLasse Langwadt Christensen
 ||  +- Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, resJoe Gwinn
 ||  `* Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as theFred Bloggs
 ||   `* Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, resJohn Larkin
 ||    +- Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, resLasse Langwadt Christensen
 ||    `* Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as thewhit3rd
 ||     `* Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as theDon Y
 ||      `- Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as theDon Y
 |+* Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as theJohn Robertson
 ||+- Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, resJohn Robertson
 ||+* Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, resFred Bloggs
 |||`- Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as theJohn Robertson
 ||+* Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as thebitrex
 |||`- Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as theFred Bloggs
 ||`- Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, resMartin Riddle
 |+* Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as thebitrex
 ||`- Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as theFred Bloggs
 |`* Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as theClive Arthur
 | `* Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as theFred Bloggs
 |  +* Re: OT - Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990sJohn Robertson
 |  |+- Re: OT - Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as earlyFred Bloggs
 |  |`- Re: OT - Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as earlyFred Bloggs
 |  `- Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as thebitrex
 `- Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as theRick C

Pages:12
Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, researchers say

<f78bf27f-df57-438f-bf9d-9180ed7f209an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66020&group=sci.electronics.design#66020

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 07:47:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the
1990s, researchers say
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 14:47 UTC

On Saturday, June 26, 2021 at 9:38:32 AM UTC-4, Clive Arthur wrote:
> On 25/06/2021 17:23, Fred Bloggs wrote:
>
> <snipped>
> >
> > That big reinforcing shear wall disintegrated like it was made out of sand.
> >
> I wonder about the aggregate. There are cases where pyrites in the
> aggregate cause concrete to crumble and rebar to corrode. In the UK
> it's particularly prevalent in Cornwall where tin mine tailings were
> sometimes used in the aggregate on concrete block houses, they call it
> 'Mundic'.
>
> You can buy a cheap house in Cornwall if it's made from Mundic Block and
> you have cash - you won't get a mortgage. There are similar issues in
> the West of Ireland.

Good point. Aggregate and water contamination is a huge issue. The state of Connecticut is still dealing with a huge pyrrhotite contamination issue. The state set up a special agency using an insurance model to deal with paying for the time consuming and expensive repairs.
https://www.fema.gov/case-study/connecticuts-crumbling-concrete

In Florida seawater and salt contamination of concrete components a is major issue. They have gone so far as to develop a saltwater concrete which eliminates the problem. They have to use fiber reinforced rebar in this case, nothing else will do. The Ley video about the fiber rebar is total hysteria, they can do things like double the diameter of fiber rebar to get around that strain limitation and big cracks.
https://www.wlrn.org/news/2017-08-31/university-of-miami-researchers-present-the-worlds-most-interesting-concrete-and-rebar
And the sate already has several bridge, walkway and road projects using this material.
http://seacon.um-sml.com/
Salt contamination of aggregate and water used in the Champlain Towers construction most certainly could have accelerated its demise. The major inspection was due 20 years ago. This a real can of worms for the coastal cities in the state because you're looking at many billions of lost real estate value. People in Surfside area are already scared to death to remain in their seaside condos. I know some materials scientist or engineer saw this coming decades ago. But the development and profit fanatics would not be stopped..

> --
> Cheers
> Clive

Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, researchers say

<17f5a27c-3087-4a06-b354-dbea5540d1c1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66021&group=sci.electronics.design#66021

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 07:51:15 -0700 (PDT)
1990s, researchers say
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 14:51 UTC

On Saturday, June 26, 2021 at 10:31:15 AM UTC-4, bitrex wrote:
> On 6/25/2021 1:44 PM, John Robertson wrote:
> >
> > On 2021/06/25 9:23 a.m., Fred Bloggs wrote:

> >> That big reinforcing shear wall disintegrated like it was made out of
> >> sand.
> >>
> >> Several of the big contractors in the area who build these kinds of
> >> buildings are saying this looks exactly like corroded rebar failure.
> >> The original flimsy construction together with foundation settlement
> >> causes seams and cracks to open up at the intersections of the various
> >> structural planes allowing water to enter.
> >> https://www.fdot.gov/structures/innovation/frp.shtm
> >> I really doubt they used stainless steel rebar, and fiber reinforced
> >> rebar wasn't available at the time; AFAIK,
> >> Then recent research out of Northeastern University shows that because
> >> of the high CO2 levels in the air, reinforced concrete structural
> >> usable lifetime needs to be derated to 67% estimated.
> >> https://www.fastcompany.com/3037370/concrete-is-not-as-strong-of-a-building-material-as-we-thought
> >>
> >> This really goes after steel rebar.
> >> Rebar is hunky dory but it needs to be sealed up inside the concrete
> >> but good, good luck with that.
> >>
> >> The fallback excuse relying on "building codes" is a scam. Building
> >> codes at their minimums are criminally deficient, the reason being
> >> they are written by self-styled regulatory organizations controlled by
> >> the builders who fight any and everything that might add cost to the
> >> build.
> >>

> > More likely the reason the rebar corroded (if that was indeed the cause)
> > was the close proximity to the ocean. Salt is extremely corrosive to
> > unprotected steel as anyone in the northern states or Canada can attest
> > with road salting ruining bridges and overpasses...
> >
> > You really have to connect climate change to everything, don't you -
> > everything is a climate tragedy!
> >
> > I suspect the building failed due to plain old fashioned human stupidity.
> >
> > Didn't these people do a periodic engineering structural analysis -
> > sometimes called a Depreciation Report? Oh, this is Florida...perhaps
> > they don't like government interfering very much with good ol'
> > enterprising folks?
> >
> > Read this (if you can - requires a subscription):
> >
> > https://www.academia.edu/7759895/The_Maintenance_of_Residential_Towers_in_Condominium_Tenure_A_Comparative_Analysis_of_Two_Extremes_Israel_and_Florida
> >

> > Florida's condominium bylaws:
> >
> > http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0718/0718.html
> >

> > John
> It was inspected in 2018 and the company said the building was in pretty
> rough shape, which gave the owners time to find someone to pay off to
> say it was fine for the 40 year re-certification

Nah- all they noted was some superficial spalling and cracks, nothing structural, and the recommended action was cosmetic patching. The way they looked for anything serious was tapping the walls looking for voids- gimme a break. And the repirs coast they quoted were quite obviously a huge ripoff. Like $1M to strip that relatively small roof and lay down some cheap 10 year tar. All the numbers coming out of this state are ridiculous, the place is a ripoff.

Re: OT - Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, researchers say

<0bidncGmTbqJx0r9nZ2dnUU7-IPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66022&group=sci.electronics.design#66022

Subject: Re: OT - Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, researchers say
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: spa...@flippers.com (John Robertson)
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 09:47:16 -0700
 by: John Robertson - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 16:47 UTC

On 2021/06/26 7:47 a.m., Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Saturday, June 26, 2021 at 9:38:32 AM UTC-4, Clive Arthur wrote:
>> On 25/06/2021 17:23, Fred Bloggs wrote:
>>
>> <snipped>
>>>
>>> That big reinforcing shear wall disintegrated like it was made out of sand.
>>>
>> I wonder about the aggregate. There are cases where pyrites in the
>> aggregate cause concrete to crumble and rebar to corrode. In the UK
>> it's particularly prevalent in Cornwall where tin mine tailings were
>> sometimes used in the aggregate on concrete block houses, they call it
>> 'Mundic'.
>>
>> You can buy a cheap house in Cornwall if it's made from Mundic Block and
>> you have cash - you won't get a mortgage. There are similar issues in
>> the West of Ireland.
>
> Good point. Aggregate and water contamination is a huge issue. The state of Connecticut is still dealing with a huge pyrrhotite contamination issue. The state set up a special agency using an insurance model to deal with paying for the time consuming and expensive repairs.
> https://www.fema.gov/case-study/connecticuts-crumbling-concrete
>
> In Florida seawater and salt contamination of concrete components a is major issue. They have gone so far as to develop a saltwater concrete which eliminates the problem. They have to use fiber reinforced rebar in this case, nothing else will do. The Ley video about the fiber rebar is total hysteria, they can do things like double the diameter of fiber rebar to get around that strain limitation and big cracks.
> https://www.wlrn.org/news/2017-08-31/university-of-miami-researchers-present-the-worlds-most-interesting-concrete-and-rebar
> And the sate already has several bridge, walkway and road projects using this material.
> http://seacon.um-sml.com/
> Salt contamination of aggregate and water used in the Champlain Towers construction most certainly could have accelerated its demise. The major inspection was due 20 years ago. This a real can of worms for the coastal cities in the state because you're looking at many billions of lost real estate value. People in Surfside area are already scared to death to remain in their seaside condos. I know some materials scientist or engineer saw this coming decades ago. But the development and profit fanatics would not be stopped.

The strata council or homeowners may hold some responsibility. As I
said, the minutes of the past number of years would make for good
reading. If council knew, and had presented it to the owners at the AGM
and the owners voted it down or defer...

I hope the council minutes were stored off site, or filed with the state
government.

John

Re: OT - Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, researchers say

<74d6d6b4-0942-4e77-a3ba-4d999a428852n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66023&group=sci.electronics.design#66023

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 10:04:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: OT - Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early
as the 1990s, researchers say
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 17:04 UTC

On Saturday, June 26, 2021 at 12:47:28 PM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
> On 2021/06/26 7:47 a.m., Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 26, 2021 at 9:38:32 AM UTC-4, Clive Arthur wrote:
> >> On 25/06/2021 17:23, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> >>
> >> <snipped>

> >> I wonder about the aggregate. There are cases where pyrites in the
> >> aggregate cause concrete to crumble and rebar to corrode. In the UK
> >> it's particularly prevalent in Cornwall where tin mine tailings were
> >> sometimes used in the aggregate on concrete block houses, they call it
> >> 'Mundic'.
> >>
> >> You can buy a cheap house in Cornwall if it's made from Mundic Block and
> >> you have cash - you won't get a mortgage. There are similar issues in
> >> the West of Ireland.
> >
> > Good point. Aggregate and water contamination is a huge issue. The state of Connecticut is still dealing with a huge pyrrhotite contamination issue. The state set up a special agency using an insurance model to deal with paying for the time consuming and expensive repairs.
> > https://www.fema.gov/case-study/connecticuts-crumbling-concrete
> >
> > In Florida seawater and salt contamination of concrete components a is major issue. They have gone so far as to develop a saltwater concrete which eliminates the problem. They have to use fiber reinforced rebar in this case, nothing else will do. The Ley video about the fiber rebar is total hysteria, they can do things like double the diameter of fiber rebar to get around that strain limitation and big cracks.
> > https://www.wlrn.org/news/2017-08-31/university-of-miami-researchers-present-the-worlds-most-interesting-concrete-and-rebar
> > And the sate already has several bridge, walkway and road projects using this material.
> > http://seacon.um-sml.com/
> > Salt contamination of aggregate and water used in the Champlain Towers construction most certainly could have accelerated its demise. The major inspection was due 20 years ago. This a real can of worms for the coastal cities in the state because you're looking at many billions of lost real estate value. People in Surfside area are already scared to death to remain in their seaside condos. I know some materials scientist or engineer saw this coming decades ago. But the development and profit fanatics would not be stopped.
> >

> The strata council or homeowners may hold some responsibility. As I
> said, the minutes of the past number of years would make for good
> reading. If council knew, and had presented it to the owners at the AGM
> and the owners voted it down or defer...
>
> I hope the council minutes were stored off site, or filed with the state
> government.

The press is misreporting the structural issue found in an inspection. That issue was about waterproofing the deck holding the pool, all of which sat atop a garage. The pool and garage are intact and not involved in the collapse. The kind of defects that caused the collapse were hidden and not observable by usual means.
https://theconstructor.org/practical-guide/measure-reinforcement-corrosion-concrete/7712/

In the future, all buildings will be instrumented during construction so they can alert authorities to a problem. There's actually a technology that uses the cement as a battery to power the sensors. But that's way off in the future. Right now we're still in the stone ages because no one wants to pay for anything.

> John

Re: OT - Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, researchers say

<b1b1cdf5-03a8-40e7-9347-8cd6de6469a5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66024&group=sci.electronics.design#66024

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 10:14:39 -0700 (PDT)
as the 1990s, researchers say
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 17:14 UTC

On Saturday, June 26, 2021 at 12:47:28 PM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
> On 2021/06/26 7:47 a.m., Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 26, 2021 at 9:38:32 AM UTC-4, Clive Arthur wrote:
> >> On 25/06/2021 17:23, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> >>
> >> <snipped>

> >> I wonder about the aggregate. There are cases where pyrites in the
> >> aggregate cause concrete to crumble and rebar to corrode. In the UK
> >> it's particularly prevalent in Cornwall where tin mine tailings were
> >> sometimes used in the aggregate on concrete block houses, they call it
> >> 'Mundic'.
> >>
> >> You can buy a cheap house in Cornwall if it's made from Mundic Block and
> >> you have cash - you won't get a mortgage. There are similar issues in
> >> the West of Ireland.
> >
> > Good point. Aggregate and water contamination is a huge issue. The state of Connecticut is still dealing with a huge pyrrhotite contamination issue. The state set up a special agency using an insurance model to deal with paying for the time consuming and expensive repairs.
> > https://www.fema.gov/case-study/connecticuts-crumbling-concrete
> >
> > In Florida seawater and salt contamination of concrete components a is major issue. They have gone so far as to develop a saltwater concrete which eliminates the problem. They have to use fiber reinforced rebar in this case, nothing else will do. The Ley video about the fiber rebar is total hysteria, they can do things like double the diameter of fiber rebar to get around that strain limitation and big cracks.
> > https://www.wlrn.org/news/2017-08-31/university-of-miami-researchers-present-the-worlds-most-interesting-concrete-and-rebar
> > And the sate already has several bridge, walkway and road projects using this material.
> > http://seacon.um-sml.com/
> > Salt contamination of aggregate and water used in the Champlain Towers construction most certainly could have accelerated its demise. The major inspection was due 20 years ago. This a real can of worms for the coastal cities in the state because you're looking at many billions of lost real estate value. People in Surfside area are already scared to death to remain in their seaside condos. I know some materials scientist or engineer saw this coming decades ago. But the development and profit fanatics would not be stopped.
> >

> The strata council or homeowners may hold some responsibility. As I
> said, the minutes of the past number of years would make for good
> reading. If council knew, and had presented it to the owners at the AGM
> and the owners voted it down or defer...
>
> I hope the council minutes were stored off site, or filed with the state
> government.
>
> John

https://www.anthropocenemagazine.org/2021/05/74784/

Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, researchers say

<vmffdgpsblpqq2bj5f9dlje74aojiifm98@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66033&group=sci.electronics.design#66033

From: martin_...@verizon.net (Martin Riddle)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 19:59:31 -0400
 by: Martin Riddle - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 23:59 UTC

On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 10:44:17 -0700, John Robertson <spam@flippers.com>
wrote:

>On 2021/06/25 9:23 a.m., Fred Bloggs wrote:
>> On Friday, June 25, 2021 at 11:34:04 AM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

>>> Video:
>>>
>>> https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/video-shows-wing-of-surfside-condo-building-collapse-in-seconds/2479955/
>>
>> That big reinforcing shear wall disintegrated like it was made out of sand.
>>
>> Several of the big contractors in the area who build these kinds of buildings are saying this looks exactly like corroded rebar failure. The original flimsy construction together with foundation settlement causes seams and cracks to open up at the intersections of the various structural planes allowing water to enter.
>> https://www.fdot.gov/structures/innovation/frp.shtm
>> I really doubt they used stainless steel rebar, and fiber reinforced rebar wasn't available at the time; AFAIK,
>> Then recent research out of Northeastern University shows that because of the high CO2 levels in the air, reinforced concrete structural usable lifetime needs to be derated to 67% estimated.
>> https://www.fastcompany.com/3037370/concrete-is-not-as-strong-of-a-building-material-as-we-thought
>> This really goes after steel rebar.
>> Rebar is hunky dory but it needs to be sealed up inside the concrete but good, good luck with that.
>>
>> The fallback excuse relying on "building codes" is a scam. Building codes at their minimums are criminally deficient, the reason being they are written by self-styled regulatory organizations controlled by the builders who fight any and everything that might add cost to the build.
>>

>More likely the reason the rebar corroded (if that was indeed the cause)
>was the close proximity to the ocean. Salt is extremely corrosive to
>unprotected steel as anyone in the northern states or Canada can attest
>with road salting ruining bridges and overpasses...
>
>You really have to connect climate change to everything, don't you -
>everything is a climate tragedy!
>
>I suspect the building failed due to plain old fashioned human stupidity.
>
>Didn't these people do a periodic engineering structural analysis -
>sometimes called a Depreciation Report? Oh, this is Florida...perhaps
>they don't like government interfering very much with good ol'
>enterprising folks?
>
>Read this (if you can - requires a subscription):
>
>https://www.academia.edu/7759895/The_Maintenance_of_Residential_Towers_in_Condominium_Tenure_A_Comparative_Analysis_of_Two_Extremes_Israel_and_Florida
>
>Florida's condominium bylaws:
>
>http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0718/0718.html
>
>John

I wonder if the new Condo just south of the building destabilized the
ground.
The Goggle map satellite photos show the building is a recent
addition.

Cheers

Re: Collapsed Miami condo had been sinking into Earth as early as the 1990s, researchers say

<a8aCI.4140$ik1.2691@fx27.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66094&group=sci.electronics.design#66094

1990s, researchers say
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 22:05:58 -0400
 by: bitrex - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 02:05 UTC

On 6/26/2021 10:47 AM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Saturday, June 26, 2021 at 9:38:32 AM UTC-4, Clive Arthur wrote:
>> On 25/06/2021 17:23, Fred Bloggs wrote:
>>
>> <snipped>
>>>
>>> That big reinforcing shear wall disintegrated like it was made out of sand.
>>>
>> I wonder about the aggregate. There are cases where pyrites in the
>> aggregate cause concrete to crumble and rebar to corrode. In the UK
>> it's particularly prevalent in Cornwall where tin mine tailings were
>> sometimes used in the aggregate on concrete block houses, they call it
>> 'Mundic'.
>>
>> You can buy a cheap house in Cornwall if it's made from Mundic Block and
>> you have cash - you won't get a mortgage. There are similar issues in
>> the West of Ireland.
>
> Good point. Aggregate and water contamination is a huge issue. The state of Connecticut is still dealing with a huge pyrrhotite contamination issue. The state set up a special agency using an insurance model to deal with paying for the time consuming and expensive repairs.
> https://www.fema.gov/case-study/connecticuts-crumbling-concrete
>
> In Florida seawater and salt contamination of concrete components a is major issue. They have gone so far as to develop a saltwater concrete which eliminates the problem. They have to use fiber reinforced rebar in this case, nothing else will do. The Ley video about the fiber rebar is total hysteria, they can do things like double the diameter of fiber rebar to get around that strain limitation and big cracks.
> https://www.wlrn.org/news/2017-08-31/university-of-miami-researchers-present-the-worlds-most-interesting-concrete-and-rebar
> And the sate already has several bridge, walkway and road projects using this material.
> http://seacon.um-sml.com/
> Salt contamination of aggregate and water used in the Champlain Towers construction most certainly could have accelerated its demise. The major inspection was due 20 years ago. This a real can of worms for the coastal cities in the state because you're looking at many billions of lost real estate value. People in Surfside area are already scared to death to remain in their seaside condos. I know some materials scientist or engineer saw this coming decades ago. But the development and profit fanatics would not be stopped.

In some of the post-collapse photos it looks like there are rusty re-bar
stains visible on the concrete, but when the building was intact looks
like they would've been concealed by drop-ceiling of the units or
covered up by the drywall:

<https://static01.nyt.com/images/2021/06/25/us/25miami-building-collapse-briefing-morning-summary3/25miami-building-collapse-briefing-morning-summary3-videoSixteenByNine1050-v2.jpg>