If I have not seen so far it is because I stood in giant's footsteps.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Sunday Ride

SubjectAuthor
* Sunday RideTom Kunich
`- Re: Sunday RideCatrike Rider

1
Sunday Ride

<93d81da8-30c4-4d47-b2c5-ae0d77a52520n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66551&group=rec.bicycles.tech#66551

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 10:14:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Sunday Ride
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 17:14 UTC

I had intended to make a climbing ride today. The sun is out but it is 9 degrees colder than it was yesterday, my 78th birthday, and so I think I will instead take a mild ride down to Bay Farm Island and back - 25 miles on the circular route. I like riding my Aliverti and after trying three tubes in it I finally bought a new tube that holds air.

Tubeless tires would be more reliable for the sort of flats I've gotten recently - pinch flats - but the wheels and tires are so expensive and they are very hard to mount that I can each flat enjoy how easy it is to repair a clincher.

Re: Sunday Ride

<optalh5l5trm81k6pehk5kvjtmilvs25bd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=66555&group=rec.bicycles.tech#66555

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Sunday Ride
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 13:42:04 -0400
 by: Catrike Rider - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 17:42 UTC

On Sun, 23 Oct 2022 10:14:28 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>I had intended to make a climbing ride today. The sun is out but it is 9 degrees colder than it was yesterday, my 78th birthday, and so I think I will instead take a mild ride down to Bay Farm Island and back - 25 miles on the circular route. I like riding my Aliverti and after trying three tubes in it I finally bought a new tube that holds air.
>
>Tubeless tires would be more reliable for the sort of flats I've gotten recently - pinch flats - but the wheels and tires are so expensive and they are very hard to mount that I can each flat enjoy how easy it is to repair a clincher.

The only flat tires I've had in the last several years and several
thousand miles or so, were failures at the valve stem attachment. I
believe the last puncture flat I had was on the 7 mile bridge in the
Keys. That was in 2016, I think, although I once had a flat when I
was trying out some thin skinned Schwalbe Duranos and hadn't noticed
the tread wear and the abnormally short life. Tire carcass failure is
not a good kind of flat to have.

My usual tire is Schwalbe Marathon Originals where the green layer is
noticeable long before they'll fail and their rolling resistance is
about the same as the Duranos.