From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: thoughts test-sample X-ray ali welds
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2022 11:59:55 +0000
 by: Richard Smith - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 11:59 UTC

Hi all

Comments?

This is for the Ali welding idea.

Is essentially an all-weld-metal testpiece, but reasonably realistic
for thermal cycle, the welding condition the welder was presented with
making the sample / test-piece, etc.

This is aiming for radiography - but backed-up by side-bends given
some inter-run lack-of-fusion might not show up on X-ray so know an
apparently good weld on X-ray is good in all regards.

Sketch / drawing...
http://weldsmith.co.uk/tech/welding/weld_imgs/221205_pltedge_allweld_sample.png
Rest seen on this page where that drawing features...
http://weldsmith.co.uk/tech/welding/weld_qual/221128_alimig/221128_ali_mig_qualctrl.html

Uses edge of a thick plate as "substrate", with couple of held-on
slightly "sticking up" plates to create groove.
One good point is to extract the all-weld-metal sample (with a bit of
remnant plate at the sides), put the welded sample in a saw and make a
simple cut. Which also "regenerates" the rest of the plate material
for immediately using on the next test.

Idea is to get a fair amount of weld per sample so can see the *median*
result from the welding strategy.
Ignore a bit of the worst; disregard a bit of the best and see what
the main story is on weld cleanness when doing it that way.
Anyone who has a "magic weave" or a "magic setting with my 'Throbatron
Supa-Doopa'" which solves everything - show us...

So yes, thoughts?

Regards,
Rich Smith

Re: thoughts test-sample X-ray ali welds

<tmrejg$mlke$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6705&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6705

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: thoughts test-sample X-ray ali welds
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 20:27:32 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 01:27 UTC

"Richard Smith" wrote in message news:lyilintoec.fsf@void.com...
http://weldsmith.co.uk/tech/welding/weld_qual/221128_alimig/221128_ali_mig_qualctrl.html

-----------------

That is a very professional and persuasive article. Could the British
procedure be a make-work trade union rule?

Re: thoughts test-sample X-ray ali welds

<lyk0322wia.fsf@void.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6707&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6707

From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 07:19:09 +0000
 by: Richard Smith - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 07:19 UTC

"Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> writes:

> "Richard Smith" wrote in message news:lyilintoec.fsf@void.com...
> http://weldsmith.co.uk/tech/welding/weld_qual/221128_alimig/221128_ali_mig_qualctrl.html
>
> -----------------
>
> That is a very professional and persuasive article. Could the British
> procedure be a make-work trade union rule?

"Trade Union rule" - no.
We have no effective Trade Unions here. They are re-emerging in areas
like health-care, railways - places with long-term tradionally
low-paid work (low pay <=> job security and sense of public service)
as the built-up distortions have seemingly finally "popped" (?).

Those in engineering and manufacturing who I talk with are "of one
mind". Describing it briefly is difficult. What's obvious as "movie
stories" in the mind is hard to briefly write.

Broadly the it's the onward chain-reaction consequences of
* no vocational training
* a system of "managers" in whom all thought is taken to be vested

15 years ago I had my first Romanian colleague and at first tea-break
he was sat there with a "1000-yard stare" of total shock. He'd never
seen conditions like this in his several years in Spain, nor in his
native Romania.
It's got worse since...

It's what happens after years and decades without being firmly
tied-up/moored to the physical Laws of the Universe.
If you will; "not supplicating to God's design".

As a scientist in the sense of by training and research, in the
oil&gas industry I sometimes counselled just on the basis of intuition
- well... "You cannot browbeat God".
That caused some quite annoyed reactions.
Oh gawd - once I overdid the "winding-up" and this poor fellow, his
face turned scarlet and - more worryingly - the blood-vessels on his
temples bulged, while he curled over his desk squealing and going
through the visualised act of strangulation.
But yes, exactly the same, couple of days later much chagrinned they
were looking at exactly what I had suggested in the first place.
So what you see is a series of very exact edicts and specifications
about how things will be, trying to coerce the physical outcome in
ways which have no connection with the reality of the Natural world.

Re: thoughts test-sample X-ray ali welds

<lyfsdq2vzr.fsf@void.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6708&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6708

From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 07:30:16 +0000
 by: Richard Smith - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 07:30 UTC

"Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> writes:

> "Richard Smith" wrote in message news:lyilintoec.fsf@void.com...
> http://weldsmith.co.uk/tech/welding/weld_qual/221128_alimig/221128_ali_mig_qualctrl.html
>
> -----------------
>
> That is a very professional and persuasive article. Could the British
> procedure be a make-work trade union rule?

Different response and a question...

I visualise "a North American Ali-GMAW recommended approach" as
embodied in the
Lincoln Foundation "The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding".

I know from work in oil&gas (very "International") that the American
"Codes" (your equivalent to our "Standards") have such a different
"flavour" and get the same job done in a very different way which is
very pragmatic and, well, for sure, if you followed these rules you
would always get a good product.

I'm particularly thinking of AWS D1.n and API Codes including notably
API1104 for cross-country pipelines.

So I would visualise that the American recommended practice for
Aluminum GMAW welds is similarly pragmatic and effective...?

You do Ali GMAW welds and they are fine and go out to solidly
reliable service - no, no other story going on here...

So - a "North American Ali-GMAW way" which works very well?

Re: thoughts test-sample X-ray ali welds

<lybkoe2uv0.fsf@void.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6709&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6709

From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 07:54:43 +0000
 by: Richard Smith - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 07:54 UTC

I approached a local college asking if they would host an
investigative project looking at this.

A Trade body to do with aluminum not welding said in-principle they
would look to support such a project perhaps by finding a
group/consortium of interested members to contribute materials etc.
Funding to source a large amount of "for information only" radiography
would be good, to sort through all this and find what's real.

I think a college would only need a good copper-and-iron "3-phase
sized" GMAW welding machine fitted with rollers, liner and
contactor-tip for Ali for the "spray-transfer" welds. While all the
"high-power Pulse" welds could be submitted by companies who insist
their welds are better. They'd be somewhat compelled to prove it...

I also had one commercial Company support the "my" / "North American"
Ali-GMAW approach. Arriving for the assignment, they stated the very
best thing "Simply; give us the best welds you know how".
I will go back to them.

I wrote that article, yet to have the "plate edge groove weld test",
thinking of Companies like that (I use the plural, but there was only
one), so that after my "pitch" they would have something persistent to
remind them of what the conversation had been.

I added the "plate edge groove weld test" because the college is very
close by and simple logistics made that the first "port-of-call".

Regards,
Rich Smith

Re: thoughts test-sample X-ray ali welds

<tmso8k$seb3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6710&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6710

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 08:18:32 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 13:18 UTC

You might like this:

https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/69497/pg69497-images.html

Admiral "Jacky" Fisher's memoir includes management advice about dealing
with obsolete and destructive attitudes as well as the radical advances in
naval technology he supported. See "Jolly and Hustle".

On the infested food of old sailing ships:
"A favourite amusement was to put a bit of this biscuit on the table and see
how soon all of it would walk away. In fact one midshipman could gamble away
his “tot” of rum with another midshipman by pitting one bit of biscuit
against another. Anyhow, whenever you took a bit of biscuit to eat it you
always tapped it edgeways on the table to let the “grown-ups” get away."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fisher,_1st_Baron_Fisher

Re: thoughts test-sample X-ray ali welds

<ly1qp9n33z.fsf@void.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6713&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6713

From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 18:48:32 +0000
 by: Richard Smith - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 18:48 UTC

"Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> writes:

> You might like this:
>
> https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/69497/pg69497-images.html
>
> Admiral "Jacky" Fisher's memoir includes management advice about
> dealing with obsolete and destructive attitudes as well as the radical
> advances in naval technology he supported. See "Jolly and Hustle".
>
> On the infested food of old sailing ships:
> "A favourite amusement was to put a bit of this biscuit on the table
> and see how soon all of it would walk away. In fact one midshipman
> could gamble away his “tot” of rum with another midshipman by pitting
> one bit of biscuit against another. Anyhow, whenever you took a bit of
> biscuit to eat it you always tapped it edgeways on the table to let
> the “grown-ups” get away."
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fisher,_1st_Baron_Fisher

Good reads - you seem quite a source of them.
Must read the 1880's "locomotive driver" one. "Treasure your
experience with 'scrappers'" etc.

Re: thoughts test-sample X-ray ali welds

<tmtsvt$vak6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6719&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6719

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 18:45:21 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 23:45 UTC

"Richard Smith" wrote in message news:ly1qp9n33z.fsf@void.com...

Good reads - you seem quite a source of them.
Must read the 1880's "locomotive driver" one. "Treasure your
experience with 'scrappers'" etc.

------------------------

Apparently stoking the fire to correctly anticipate hills without having to
blow off steam (waste fuel) on the down side was quite a trick, and
engineers were rated on their coal consumption. After 30+ years I still
can't always predict how a load of firewood will burn, and put remote
woodstove temperature monitors in the living space.

Re: thoughts test-sample X-ray ali welds

<tmttr1$vbr6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6720&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6720

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 18:00:42 -0600
 by: Snag - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 00:00 UTC

On 12/8/2022 5:45 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Richard Smith"  wrote in message news:ly1qp9n33z.fsf@void.com...
>
> Good reads - you seem quite a source of them.
> Must read the 1880's "locomotive driver" one.  "Treasure your
> experience with 'scrappers'" etc.
>
> ------------------------
>
> Apparently stoking the fire to correctly anticipate hills without having
> to blow off steam (waste fuel) on the down side was quite a trick, and
> engineers were rated on their coal consumption. After 30+ years I still
> can't always predict how a load of firewood will burn, and put remote
> woodstove temperature monitors in the living space.

I was up at 0300 this morning cracking a couple of windows open . It
didn't get as cold as predicted ... I hate to have to dump heat ,
there's a lot of work out in that pile of firewood !
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts