All constants are variables.

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Re: America is Really Metric Under The Surface

SubjectAuthor
* America is Really Metric Under The SurfaceBob La Londe
+* Re: America is Really Metric Under The Surfacepyotr filipivich
|`* Re: America is Really Metric Under The SurfaceBob La Londe
| +- Re: America is Really Metric Under The Surfacepyotr filipivich
| `* Re: America is Really Metric Under The SurfaceCydrome Leader
|  `- Re: America is Really Metric Under The SurfaceBob La Londe
`- Re: America is Really Metric Under The Surfacebruce bowser

1
America is Really Metric Under The Surface

<tk92gj$391kv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6617&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6617

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: America is Really Metric Under The Surface
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 11:38:59 -0800
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 19:38 UTC

I admit that lots of things made in the USA are metric. The US standard
inch was officially redefined as exactly 25.4mm. The claim that America
is really metric under the surface seems reasonable until you compare
the price metric stainless rod stock to imperial stainless rod stock
from my regular vendors. Some don't even stock it. From others its at
a premium price. The price difference is so significant I am
considering dragging the follow rest out of the bottom drawer of the
lathe tool cabinet and turning down oversize imperial dimension stock.

Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

For example using McMaster-Carr regular 304 nothing special:

7/16 (11.11mm) x 72inches (6ft) long. $31.58
10mm x 36inches (3ft) long. $44.87

I have plenty of other sources that tend to be cheaper than McMaster,
but most of them do not appear to stock any metric stainless round bar.
Those that do are MORE EXPENSIVE than McMaster-Carr.

Is America REALLY metric under the surface? You decide.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: America is Really Metric Under The Surface

<40vgmhd787kd3fe459prqm7ta0cbv3egaa@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6618&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6618

From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: America is Really Metric Under The Surface
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 19:41:38 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 03:41 UTC

Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> on Sun, 6 Nov 2022 11:38:59 -0800 typed
>I admit that lots of things made in the USA are metric. The US standard
>inch was officially redefined as exactly 25.4mm. The claim that America
>is really metric under the surface seems reasonable until you compare
>the price metric stainless rod stock to imperial stainless rod stock
>from my regular vendors. Some don't even stock it. From others its at
>a premium price. The price difference is so significant I am
>considering dragging the follow rest out of the bottom drawer of the
>lathe tool cabinet and turning down oversize imperial dimension stock.
>
>Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.
>
>For example using McMaster-Carr regular 304 nothing special:
>
>7/16 (11.11mm) x 72inches (6ft) long. $31.58
>10mm x 36inches (3ft) long. $44.87
>
>I have plenty of other sources that tend to be cheaper than McMaster,
>but most of them do not appear to stock any metric stainless round bar.
>Those that do are MORE EXPENSIVE than McMaster-Carr.
>
>Is America REALLY metric under the surface? You decide.

Underneath it all, the US defines the inch in terms of the meter.

Funny detail, Johansson gauge blocks were first made in Metric,
and when he started making them in Inch sets, he compromised between
the British inch at 25.399977mm and the US 25.4000508mm with - you
guessed it - at 25.4mm. De facto at first, that became the definition
of the inch since the 1930s.

So yeah, at base, we're metric.
--
pyotr filipivich

Re: America is Really Metric Under The Surface

<tkeeeu$547$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6622&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6622

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 13:33:33 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 20:33 UTC

> Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> on Sun, 6 Nov 2022 11:38:59 -0800 typed
> in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
>> I admit that lots of things made in the USA are metric. The US standard
>> inch was officially redefined as exactly 25.4mm. The claim that America
>> is really metric under the surface seems reasonable until you compare
>> the price metric stainless rod stock to imperial stainless rod stock
>>from my regular vendors. Some don't even stock it. From others its at
>> a premium price. The price difference is so significant I am
>> considering dragging the follow rest out of the bottom drawer of the
>> lathe tool cabinet and turning down oversize imperial dimension stock.
>>
>> Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.
>>
>> For example using McMaster-Carr regular 304 nothing special:
>>
>> 7/16 (11.11mm) x 72inches (6ft) long. $31.58
>> 10mm x 36inches (3ft) long. $44.87
>>
>> I have plenty of other sources that tend to be cheaper than McMaster,
>> but most of them do not appear to stock any metric stainless round bar.
>> Those that do are MORE EXPENSIVE than McMaster-Carr.
>>
>> Is America REALLY metric under the surface? You decide.
>
> Underneath it all, the US defines the inch in terms of the meter.
>
> Funny detail, Johansson gauge blocks were first made in Metric,
> and when he started making them in Inch sets, he compromised between
> the British inch at 25.399977mm and the US 25.4000508mm with - you
> guessed it - at 25.4mm. De facto at first, that became the definition
> of the inch since the 1930s.
>
> So yeah, at base, we're metric.

In any case I emailed the customers last night and explained that the
best price I could find for stainless metric rod increased the price
their respective projects. One by about $620 US Dollars over using
similar size US inch standard sizes in every case even going with the
next larger readily available size. I have two customers right now with
similar Metric spec stainless rod applications. I received this reply
this morning, "Oh, I thought metric would be cheaper since everybody is
metric these days." Both said they would be okay with adjusting the
project to use more readily available sizes and keep their project costs
in line.

We will literally receive more metal for 25% of the cost.

I know some might suggest turning down the rod, but if I charged my shop
rate for standing in front of my lathe it would have cost even more.

www.avg.com

Re: America is Really Metric Under The Surface

<4h3mmh1im183sojnpi7f1de185uo53eqp6@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6625&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6625

From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2022 18:27:05 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 02:27 UTC

Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> on Tue, 8 Nov 2022 13:33:33 -0700 typed
>On 11/6/2022 8:41 PM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
>> Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> on Sun, 6 Nov 2022 11:38:59 -0800 typed
>> in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
>>> I admit that lots of things made in the USA are metric. The US standard
>>> inch was officially redefined as exactly 25.4mm. The claim that America
>>> is really metric under the surface seems reasonable until you compare
>>> the price metric stainless rod stock to imperial stainless rod stock
>>>from my regular vendors. Some don't even stock it. From others its at
>>> a premium price. The price difference is so significant I am
>>> considering dragging the follow rest out of the bottom drawer of the
>>> lathe tool cabinet and turning down oversize imperial dimension stock.
>>>
>>> Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.
>>>
>>> For example using McMaster-Carr regular 304 nothing special:
>>>
>>> 7/16 (11.11mm) x 72inches (6ft) long. $31.58
>>> 10mm x 36inches (3ft) long. $44.87
>>>
>>> I have plenty of other sources that tend to be cheaper than McMaster,
>>> but most of them do not appear to stock any metric stainless round bar.
>>> Those that do are MORE EXPENSIVE than McMaster-Carr.
>>>
>>> Is America REALLY metric under the surface? You decide.
>>
>> Underneath it all, the US defines the inch in terms of the meter.
>>
>> Funny detail, Johansson gauge blocks were first made in Metric,
>> and when he started making them in Inch sets, he compromised between
>> the British inch at 25.399977mm and the US 25.4000508mm with - you
>> guessed it - at 25.4mm. De facto at first, that became the definition
>> of the inch since the 1930s.
>>
>> So yeah, at base, we're metric.
>
>In any case I emailed the customers last night and explained that the
>best price I could find for stainless metric rod increased the price
>their respective projects. One by about $620 US Dollars over using
>similar size US inch standard sizes in every case even going with the
>next larger readily available size. I have two customers right now with
>similar Metric spec stainless rod applications. I received this reply
>this morning, "Oh, I thought metric would be cheaper since everybody is
>metric these days."

"everybody" - except those who are doing stuff.

I realized that the major obstacle to "going metric" is the
installed user base. Specifically, all of the machinists who are
mentally calibrated in inches, and have a couple thousand dollars in
tools which they'd have to replace. Which is in addition to what
companies have for QA etc.

> Both said they would be okay with adjusting the
>project to use more readily available sizes and keep their project costs
>in line.
>
>We will literally receive more metal for 25% of the cost.
>
>I know some might suggest turning down the rod, but if I charged my shop
>rate for standing in front of my lathe it would have cost even more.

Yep. That is another area of under appreciated cost.
--
pyotr filipivich

Re: America is Really Metric Under The Surface

<tkpi0v$nuf$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6645&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6645

From: prese...@MUNGEpanix.com (Cydrome Leader)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 01:41:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Cydrome Leader - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 01:41 UTC

Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:
> On 11/6/2022 8:41 PM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
>> Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> on Sun, 6 Nov 2022 11:38:59 -0800 typed
>> in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
>>> I admit that lots of things made in the USA are metric. The US standard
>>> inch was officially redefined as exactly 25.4mm. The claim that America
>>> is really metric under the surface seems reasonable until you compare
>>> the price metric stainless rod stock to imperial stainless rod stock
>>>from my regular vendors. Some don't even stock it. From others its at
>>> a premium price. The price difference is so significant I am
>>> considering dragging the follow rest out of the bottom drawer of the
>>> lathe tool cabinet and turning down oversize imperial dimension stock.
>>>
>>> Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.
>>>
>>> For example using McMaster-Carr regular 304 nothing special:
>>>
>>> 7/16 (11.11mm) x 72inches (6ft) long. $31.58
>>> 10mm x 36inches (3ft) long. $44.87
>>>
>>> I have plenty of other sources that tend to be cheaper than McMaster,
>>> but most of them do not appear to stock any metric stainless round bar.
>>> Those that do are MORE EXPENSIVE than McMaster-Carr.
>>>
>>> Is America REALLY metric under the surface? You decide.
>>
>> Underneath it all, the US defines the inch in terms of the meter.
>>
>> Funny detail, Johansson gauge blocks were first made in Metric,
>> and when he started making them in Inch sets, he compromised between
>> the British inch at 25.399977mm and the US 25.4000508mm with - you
>> guessed it - at 25.4mm. De facto at first, that became the definition
>> of the inch since the 1930s.
>>
>> So yeah, at base, we're metric.
>
> In any case I emailed the customers last night and explained that the
> best price I could find for stainless metric rod increased the price
> their respective projects. One by about $620 US Dollars over using
> similar size US inch standard sizes in every case even going with the
> next larger readily available size. I have two customers right now with
> similar Metric spec stainless rod applications. I received this reply
> this morning, "Oh, I thought metric would be cheaper since everybody is
> metric these days." Both said they would be okay with adjusting the

What sort of commies are you dealing with?

Re: America is Really Metric Under The Surface

<tkra55$1gfrs$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6654&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6654

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 10:39:48 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 17:39 UTC

On 11/12/2022 6:41 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
> Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:
>> On 11/6/2022 8:41 PM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
>>> Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> on Sun, 6 Nov 2022 11:38:59 -0800 typed
>>> in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

>>> Underneath it all, the US defines the inch in terms of the meter.
>>>
>>> Funny detail, Johansson gauge blocks were first made in Metric,
>>> and when he started making them in Inch sets, he compromised between
>>> the British inch at 25.399977mm and the US 25.4000508mm with - you
>>> guessed it - at 25.4mm. De facto at first, that became the definition
>>> of the inch since the 1930s.
>>>
>>> So yeah, at base, we're metric.
>>
>> In any case I emailed the customers last night and explained that the
>> best price I could find for stainless metric rod increased the price
>> their respective projects. One by about $620 US Dollars over using
>> similar size US inch standard sizes in every case even going with the
>> next larger readily available size. I have two customers right now with
>> similar Metric spec stainless rod applications. I received this reply
>> this morning, "Oh, I thought metric would be cheaper since everybody is
>> metric these days." Both said they would be okay with adjusting the
>
> What sort of commies are you dealing with?

I ship all over the world... Okay, not most of Asia so far, but from New
Zealand to Sweden and many points in between.
--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: America is Really Metric Under The Surface

<c14255b7-6b5d-4b01-9a4a-5b1538a49435n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6714&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6714

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 10:53:18 -0800 (PST)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 18:53 UTC

On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 2:39:02 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
> I admit that lots of things made in the USA are metric. The US standard
> inch was officially redefined as exactly 25.4mm. The claim that America
> is really metric under the surface seems reasonable until you compare
> the price metric stainless rod stock to imperial stainless rod stock
> from my regular vendors. Some don't even stock it. From others its at
> a premium price. The price difference is so significant I am
> considering dragging the follow rest out of the bottom drawer of the
> lathe tool cabinet and turning down oversize imperial dimension stock.
>
> Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.
>
> For example using McMaster-Carr regular 304 nothing special:
>
> 7/16 (11.11mm) x 72inches (6ft) long. $31.58
> 10mm x 36inches (3ft) long. $44.87
>
> I have plenty of other sources that tend to be cheaper than McMaster,
> but most of them do not appear to stock any metric stainless round bar.
> Those that do are MORE EXPENSIVE than McMaster-Carr.
>
> Is America REALLY metric under the surface? You decide.

If you have to fuel up or otherwise unload or load back up outside of the US, then use metric. Their country will give you no choice.