"Pull the trigger and you're garbage." -- Lady Blue

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Britain road rules

SubjectAuthor
* Britain road rulesFrank Krygowski
`* Re: Britain road rulesRoger Merriman
 +* Re: Britain road rulesJohn B.
 |`* Re: Britain road rulesRolf Mantel
 | +- Re: Britain road rulesFrank Krygowski
 | `- Re: Britain road rulesRoger Merriman
 `* Re: Britain road rulesFrank Krygowski
  `- Re: Britain road rulesRoger Merriman

1
Britain road rules

<tk0tjn$1glgt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=67370&group=rec.bicycles.tech#67370

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Britain road rules
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 13:26:15 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 17:26 UTC

Britain's Highway Code recently got some revisions.

See
https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/content/cyclist-pedestrian-safety-awareness-for-drivers/

especially "Drivers and Cyclists" and "The new rules" about halfway down.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Britain road rules

<tk1m3i$1ipg6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=67405&group=rec.bicycles.tech#67405

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Britain road rules
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 00:24:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:4xsBByCBzQPRoix85aQQAvL2mEE=
 by: Roger Merriman - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 00:24 UTC

Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Britain's Highway Code recently got some revisions.
>
> See
> https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/content/cyclist-pedestrian-safety-awareness-for-drivers/
>
> especially "Drivers and Cyclists" and "The new rules" about halfway down.

It’s rather overstated really, very little legal has changed, it’s
attempting a culture change which is quite a ask!

Roger Merriman

Re: Britain road rules

<c8o8mh5vua82kejhotrfmvflkurbft68nd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=67414&group=rec.bicycles.tech#67414

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 08:07:07 +0700
 by: John B. - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 01:07 UTC

On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 00:24:18 -0000 (UTC), Roger Merriman
<roger@sarlet.com> wrote:

>Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Britain's Highway Code recently got some revisions.
>>
>> See
>> https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/content/cyclist-pedestrian-safety-awareness-for-drivers/
>>
>> especially "Drivers and Cyclists" and "The new rules" about halfway down.
>>

>It’s rather overstated really, very little legal has changed, it’s
>attempting a culture change which is quite a ask!
>
>Roger Merriman

To be honest, I have lived in a number of countries outside the U.S.,
for the past 50 years, but in none of these countries have there been
any special laws for bicycles, they are, under the law, just another
user of the public roads and highways. And yet bicycle deaths have
never been a major factor in highway deaths.

In Thailand, where I currently live, bicycle and heavy truck deaths
are neck in neck for the lowers percent of highway deaths.

Perhaps the difference is in the treatment of highway "accidents".

Here if you hit another vehicle, a bicycle for instance, the police
will investigate and unless there is proof, usually by the testimony
of independent witnesses, that the bicycle is at fault the larger
vehicle, the auto, will be deemed to be at fault and will be liable.
If the cyclist is killed then the driver of the auto will probably be
charged with causing a death, the maximum penalty for which is 10
years in prison. If the cyclist is injured or the bike damaged then
the driver of the auto is responsible for all costs, medical
treatment, replacement or repair of the bicycle, and so on.

And, all motor vehicles must have, as a minimum, liability insurance.
In fact to get the sticker showing that you have paid the annual road
tax you must show proof of insurance for the new year.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Britain road rules

<tk1os0$1im35$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=67416&group=rec.bicycles.tech#67416

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 21:11:28 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 01:11 UTC

On 11/3/2022 8:24 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Britain's Highway Code recently got some revisions.
>>
>> See
>> https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/content/cyclist-pedestrian-safety-awareness-for-drivers/
>>
>> especially "Drivers and Cyclists" and "The new rules" about halfway down.
>>

> It’s rather overstated really, very little legal has changed, it’s
> attempting a culture change which is quite a ask!

I didn't think it was a major change, but it was nice to see the good
advice is now official. Points #1 and #2 match our state's laws very well.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Britain road rules

<tk2nkj$1o1e1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=67431&group=rec.bicycles.tech#67431

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 09:56:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:HsoiFPf1JTVCoLyoV0uUX/G/Ejs=
 by: Roger Merriman - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 09:56 UTC

Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 11/3/2022 8:24 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
>> Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>> Britain's Highway Code recently got some revisions.
>>>
>>> See
>>> https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/content/cyclist-pedestrian-safety-awareness-for-drivers/
>>>
>>> especially "Drivers and Cyclists" and "The new rules" about halfway down.
>>>

>> It’s rather overstated really, very little legal has changed, it’s
>> attempting a culture change which is quite a ask!
>
> I didn't think it was a major change, but it was nice to see the good
> advice is now official. Points #1 and #2 match our state's laws very well.

It was there before the change has been rather over stated!

Roger Merriman

Re: Britain road rules

<tk2oms$1nsrp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=67432&group=rec.bicycles.tech#67432

From: new...@hartig-mantel.de (Rolf Mantel)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 11:14:52 +0100
 by: Rolf Mantel - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 10:14 UTC

Am 04.11.2022 um 02:07 schrieb John B.:
> On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 00:24:18 -0000 (UTC), Roger Merriman
> <roger@sarlet.com> wrote:
>
>> Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>> Britain's Highway Code recently got some revisions.
>>>
>>> See
>>> https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/content/cyclist-pedestrian-safety-awareness-for-drivers/
>>>
>>> especially "Drivers and Cyclists" and "The new rules" about halfway down.
>>
>> It’s rather overstated really, very little legal has changed, it’s
>> attempting a culture change which is quite a ask!

For me as a non-Brit, I found the concept of the Highway code as a
mixture of legal requirements and recommendations quite confusing.

> To be honest, I have lived in a number of countries outside the U.S.,
> for the past 50 years, but in none of these countries have there been
> any special laws for bicycles, they are, under the law, just another
> user of the public roads and highways.

Bicycle-specific legal rules seem to have been invented in the 1930's in
Germany 'Cyclists must use dedicated cycle facilities when available'
and have spread across most of Europe.

In Europe, enabling cars to go fast on the road it appeared necessary to
get slower road users away from the road. In the US, there seem to have
been far fewer slow road users, so they introduced Jaywalking laws to
speed up cars in town (we don't have those in Europe).

Rolf

Re: Britain road rules

<tk3g96$1s4tf$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=67479&group=rec.bicycles.tech#67479

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 12:57:10 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 16:57 UTC

On 11/4/2022 6:14 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
> Am 04.11.2022 um 02:07 schrieb John B.:
>> On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 00:24:18 -0000 (UTC), Roger Merriman
>> <roger@sarlet.com> wrote:

>>> It’s rather overstated really, very little legal has changed, it’s
>>> attempting a culture change which is quite a ask!
>
> For me as a non-Brit, I found the concept of the Highway code as a
> mixture of legal requirements and recommendations quite confusing.
>
>> To be honest, I have lived in a number of countries outside the U.S.,
>> for the past 50 years, but in none of these countries have there been
>> any special laws for bicycles, they are, under the law, just another
>> user of the public roads and highways.
>
> Bicycle-specific legal rules seem to have been invented in the 1930's in
> Germany 'Cyclists must use dedicated cycle facilities when available'
> and have spread across most of Europe.
>
> In Europe, enabling cars to go fast on the road it appeared necessary to
> get slower road users away from the road.  In the US, there seem to have
> been far fewer slow road users, so they introduced Jaywalking laws to
> speed up cars in town (we don't have those in Europe).

Right. Carlton Reid's book _The Roads Were Not Built for Cars_
thoroughly explained the origin of Jaywalking laws.

There's news on that front:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/03/style/los-angeles-jaywalking-law.html

I remember when we were in Zurich, Switzerland. Friends were giving us a
little walking tour of the city as we took them to dinner. They pointed
out that recently, a "strict liability" law had taken effect. They said
it transformed the experience of walking and cycling.

And I'm as insistent of my pedestrian rights as of my cycling rights.
That includes in parking lots, where right of way rules may be unclear.
I feel the person sitting in the warm seat listening to his favorite
radio station should defer to pedestrians making their way through
perhaps unpleasant weather - or even pleasant weather. They should also
pass with great care.

Our street and a couple adjacent ones have no sidewalks. A few years
ago, my wife and I were walking down the street in winter. A school
transport van came around a bend passing far too closely to me. I phoned
our village police and described the incident and van. They promised to
have a word with the driver. The same van passed us days later, much,
much more carefully.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Britain road rules

<tk3gaj$1tcoj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=67480&group=rec.bicycles.tech#67480

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 16:57:55 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:7pQbTK0lJqE3UFPQqOLGDggt/vA=
 by: Roger Merriman - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 16:57 UTC

Rolf Mantel <news@hartig-mantel.de> wrote:
> Am 04.11.2022 um 02:07 schrieb John B.:
>> On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 00:24:18 -0000 (UTC), Roger Merriman
>> <roger@sarlet.com> wrote:

>>> It’s rather overstated really, very little legal has changed, it’s
>>> attempting a culture change which is quite a ask!
>
> For me as a non-Brit, I found the concept of the Highway code as a
> mixture of legal requirements and recommendations quite confusing.

If you look at the code it’s self, stuff which is law is in bold, and
“Must” anything else is purely advise.

>> To be honest, I have lived in a number of countries outside the U.S.,
>> for the past 50 years, but in none of these countries have there been
>> any special laws for bicycles, they are, under the law, just another
>> user of the public roads and highways.
>
> Bicycle-specific legal rules seem to have been invented in the 1930's in
> Germany 'Cyclists must use dedicated cycle facilities when available'
> and have spread across most of Europe.
>
> In Europe, enabling cars to go fast on the road it appeared necessary to
> get slower road users away from the road. In the US, there seem to have
> been far fewer slow road users, so they introduced Jaywalking laws to
> speed up cars in town (we don't have those in Europe).
>
> Rolf

Roger Merriman