"What man has done, man can aspire to do." -- Jerry Pournelle, about space flight

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Interesting: High Stress Materials Permitted in MotoGP

SubjectAuthor
* Interesting: High Stress Materials Permitted in MotoGPAndre Jute
`* Re: Interesting: High Stress Materials Permitted in MotoGPTom Kunich
 `- Re: Interesting: High Stress Materials Permitted in MotoGPAndre Jute

1
Interesting: High Stress Materials Permitted in MotoGP

<13ae2ba2-4d8f-4901-ac4b-327586cd3d1dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=67867&group=rec.bicycles.tech#67867

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 07:14:53 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Interesting: High Stress Materials Permitted in MotoGP
From: fiult...@yahoo.com (Andre Jute)
 by: Andre Jute - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 15:14 UTC

Interesting: High Stress Materials Permitted in MotoGP -- decisions of the heavyweight Commission, already approved by the Permanent Bureau.
*****
Brake Disc Carriers – All Classes

After consultation with the suppliers the following regulation was confirmed:

Composite construction of the brake disc carrier, (including carbon fibre reinforced, glass fibre reinforced, and similar), are not permitted. The only permitted materials are magnesium and aluminium alloys.
*****
Full report here:
https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2022/11/11/gp-commission-updates-to-helmets-swingarm-spoon-more/445198
including links to the official technical and sporting regulations.

Notice that among the suppliers and a wide variety of parties from the sport sitting in on the meeting with the commission, no defence of plastic parts in a high-impact dynamic application was heard. That's the most interesting part of this for me.

Andre Jute
There are more solutions in heaven and earth, Timoshenko, than is dreamt of in thy fondest philosophy -- What Shakespeare shoulda said No. 1012.

Re: Interesting: High Stress Materials Permitted in MotoGP

<bd35fb34-de5d-45f6-8a0d-8d46a5184d0cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=67868&group=rec.bicycles.tech#67868

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 07:27:32 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 15:27 UTC

On Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 7:14:55 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
> Interesting: High Stress Materials Permitted in MotoGP -- decisions of the heavyweight Commission, already approved by the Permanent Bureau.
> *****
> Brake Disc Carriers – All Classes
>
> After consultation with the suppliers the following regulation was confirmed:
>
> Composite construction of the brake disc carrier, (including carbon fibre reinforced, glass fibre reinforced, and similar), are not permitted. The only permitted materials are magnesium and aluminium alloys.
> *****
> Full report here:
> https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2022/11/11/gp-commission-updates-to-helmets-swingarm-spoon-more/445198
> including links to the official technical and sporting regulations.
>
> Notice that among the suppliers and a wide variety of parties from the sport sitting in on the meeting with the commission, no defence of plastic parts in a high-impact dynamic application was heard. That's the most interesting part of this for me.
>
> Andre Jute
> There are more solutions in heaven and earth, Timoshenko, than is dreamt of in thy fondest philosophy -- What Shakespeare shoulda said No. 1012.
I wouldn't be in the least surprised to see disk carriers on the Pro tours using carbon fiber disk carriers despite the fact that they are already below the weight limit and need to add weight to be legal.

Re: Interesting: High Stress Materials Permitted in MotoGP

<54886c27-d976-4309-93e2-a6f8fc95415bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68170&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68170

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 16:33:22 -0800 (PST)
From: fiult...@yahoo.com (Andre Jute)
 by: Andre Jute - Thu, 17 Nov 2022 00:33 UTC

On Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 3:27:34 PM UTC, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 7:14:55 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
> > Interesting: High Stress Materials Permitted in MotoGP -- decisions of the heavyweight Commission, already approved by the Permanent Bureau.
> > *****
> > Brake Disc Carriers – All Classes
> >
> > After consultation with the suppliers the following regulation was confirmed:
> >
> > Composite construction of the brake disc carrier, (including carbon fibre reinforced, glass fibre reinforced, and similar), are not permitted. The only permitted materials are magnesium and aluminium alloys.
> > *****
> > Full report here:
> > https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2022/11/11/gp-commission-updates-to-helmets-swingarm-spoon-more/445198
> > including links to the official technical and sporting regulations.
> >
> > Notice that among the suppliers and a wide variety of parties from the sport sitting in on the meeting with the commission, no defence of plastic parts in a high-impact dynamic application was heard. That's the most interesting part of this for me.
> >
> > Andre Jute
> > There are more solutions in heaven and earth, Timoshenko, than is dreamt of in thy fondest philosophy -- What Shakespeare shoulda said No. 1012.
> I wouldn't be in the least surprised to see disk carriers on the Pro tours using carbon fiber disk carriers despite the fact that they are already below the weight limit and need to add weight to be legal.

That's probably part of an integrated strategy to move the weight as low as possible: take it away from above hub height and if as a consequence the bike is then underweight, add it back at bottom bracket height. Some minor bi-effects (minor to you and me, probably not to a racing team) would be a more advantageous centre of gravity for the bike and rider, and moving the sensitivity to sidewinds (centre of aerodynamic pressure) back would probably be welcome too, as it would add a fraction to the dynamic stability of the bike. When you get to that level, a designer is basically log-rolling, adding up a bunch of perhaps infinitesimal fractions of advantage into a larger fraction of increased performance.

Andre Jute
I bet the blazers at UCI look with envy on the iron hand with which NASCAR regulates its series.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Interesting: High Stress Materials Permitted in MotoGP