From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: coastbilt 8" outside caliper with micro adjustment screw.
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 09:14:38 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Thu, 29 Dec 2022 17:14 UTC

Fun and games with search engines. Entered
coastbilt 8" outside caliper with micro adjustment screw
add
-digital -micrometer

so of course, the first things are micrometers, digital, electronic
displays, and no way to say "nope, nope, nope, nope, not even close".

Arrgh.

Anyway I managed to break the adjustment thingie. I gather when they
said "micro adjust" they really mean "micro". Wondering if parts are
available. The Company is listed as suspended by the state of
California.

Me thinks I'd be best served by keeping an eye open at the hock shops.
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote

Re: coastbilt 8" outside caliper with micro adjustment screw.

<tokiko$bfhn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6842&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6842

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 13:27:14 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Thu, 29 Dec 2022 17:27 UTC

On Thu, 29 Dec 2022 09:14:38 -0800
pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Fun and games with search engines. Entered
> coastbilt 8" outside caliper with micro adjustment screw
>add
> -digital -micrometer
>
>so of course, the first things are micrometers, digital, electronic
>displays, and no way to say "nope, nope, nope, nope, not even close".
>
>Arrgh.
>
>Anyway I managed to break the adjustment thingie. I gather when they
>said "micro adjust" they really mean "micro". Wondering if parts are
>available. The Company is listed as suspended by the state of
>California.
>
>Me thinks I'd be best served by keeping an eye open at the hock shops.

There's one on Ebay right now for ~$27 shipped:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284836531147

and a few more using this search:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=coastbilt+outside+caliper

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: coastbilt 8" outside caliper with micro adjustment screw.

<7iasqh5ak7pfgn9bupfn3drl5ab3qp0kp9@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6844&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6844

From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 16:04:01 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Fri, 30 Dec 2022 00:04 UTC

Leon Fisk <lfiskgr@gmail.invalid> on Thu, 29 Dec 2022 13:27:14 -0400
>On Thu, 29 Dec 2022 09:14:38 -0800
>pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>Fun and games with search engines. Entered
>> coastbilt 8" outside caliper with micro adjustment screw
>>add
>> -digital -micrometer
>>
>>so of course, the first things are micrometers, digital, electronic
>>displays, and no way to say "nope, nope, nope, nope, not even close".
>>
>>Arrgh.
>>
>>Anyway I managed to break the adjustment thingie. I gather when they
>>said "micro adjust" they really mean "micro". Wondering if parts are
>>available. The Company is listed as suspended by the state of
>>California.
>>
>>Me thinks I'd be best served by keeping an eye open at the hock shops.
>
>There's one on Ebay right now for ~$27 shipped:
>
>https://www.ebay.com/itm/284836531147

Thanks.

As I said to my wife "I need this for what?" I mean 'exactly' and
'precisely?" So it is not a high priority for me.
At least for now.
--
pyotr filipivich

Re: coastbilt 8" outside caliper with micro adjustment screw.

<tolb74$eulg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6845&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6845

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 19:25:25 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Fri, 30 Dec 2022 00:25 UTC

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

As I said to my wife "I need this for what?" I mean 'exactly' and
'precisely?" So it is not a high priority for me.
At least for now.
pyotr filipivich

----------------------------
I used my large Brown & Sharpe calipers to rough a 6" backplate to fit a 5"
chuck, since it maneuvered around the toolpost more easily than the dial
calipers. For roughing a broken micro adjust wouldn't matter.

Re: coastbilt 8" outside caliper with micro adjustment screw.

<mjfuqhpkm7u20m35u3oiq8u01tdimlp72t@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6846&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6846

From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 11:40:40 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Fri, 30 Dec 2022 19:40 UTC

"Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> on Thu, 29 Dec 2022 19:25:25
>"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
>
>As I said to my wife "I need this for what?" I mean 'exactly' and
>'precisely?" So it is not a high priority for me.
>At least for now.
>pyotr filipivich
>
>I used my large Brown & Sharpe calipers to rough a 6" backplate to fit a 5"
>chuck, since it maneuvered around the toolpost more easily than the dial
>calipers. For roughing a broken micro adjust wouldn't matter.

Oh yes. checking the ones I have "this is not the broken ones!
Now, what happened to those? Does it matter?"
--
pyotr filipivich