Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 09:55:25 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Target
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 23 Nov 2022 17:55 UTC

I am presently 150 miles short of my mileage target and 10,000 feet short of my climbing target.

Unless there is a major shift in weather, this is an easy win at this point..

I should add that after looking at a Hambini video where he stuck a viewer inside of a carbon fiber fork, that scared hell out of me since it was a well known brand that had a MASSIVE void. So I ordered a metal fork for the Tommasini. It is odd in that the fork legs are made of aluminum and the fork steerer is steel. If it messes up the steering geometry I will simply order another one and this time from Tomassini. But this one was only $65 plus another tenner for shipping.

I spent 20 minutes or so cutting it to length and installing it. I must say that I did a rather good job since the steering post was cut to almost exactly the correct length whereas the carbon fiber version was a little short so that there was too much stem above the headset which made it not quite fit correctly.

The brake with the long nut fit perfectly. The fork legs were slightly too long meaning that the brakes were very close to the top of the rim and I would have preferred them to be a bit lower.

I sent a message directly to the manufacturer of these forks giving him direct feedback. The fork legs could have been 3/32nds shorter and the steering post could have been aluminum and the lower bearing support didn't need to be so tight since most modern bikes use press-in headset bearings now. So the lower support should be nothing more than a slip fit.

But everything installed and worked correctly and I am still waiting for the return of the Super Record Rear Derailleur. I will drop by the shop today and see if he heard from Campy NA.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Target