From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Burned some flux core today
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 23:25:21 -0600
 by: Snag - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 05:25 UTC

Finished the wiring changes in the shop yesterday to accommodate the
new welder . Today I used it to repair a part for the wood stove . It's
immediately apparent this machine is much more powerful than the Weldpak
100 . Even on the lowest power setting it was hard to not burn holes .
Well , that stove part is a bit eroded from many years use and it was
never very thick - it's a pivoting smoke flap at the top of the door .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Burned some flux core today

<toskni$1fo6r$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6848&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6848

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Burned some flux core today
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 11:51:29 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 18:51 UTC

On 12/31/2022 10:25 PM, Snag wrote:
>   Finished the wiring changes in the shop yesterday to accommodate the
> new welder . Today I used it to repair a part for the wood stove . It's
> immediately apparent this machine is much more powerful than the Weldpak
> 100 . Even on the lowest power setting it was hard to not burn holes .
> Well , that stove part is a bit eroded from many years use and it was
> never very thick - it's a pivoting smoke flap at the top of the door .

Good job. Always great to get a job done with the machine you have, and
there is a great deal of satisfaction to confirming your new machine is
better than your old one.

I've mentioned this many times, but I've done it many times. On thin
stock burning flux core, I've had very good luck "stacking tacks." I
need a fast welding hood to do it, but it works. Establish a visible
bead, and let go of the trigger. As the red glow almost disappears
stack another one.

Its stronger than you think. This is probably my personal best test of
time. In my 2007 Silverado (purchased used at the end of 2007) I
repaired the hole from a gooseneck hitch using pieces of pickup bed
retrieved from a hitch installation company. After 15 years there is no
signs of weld failure. The truck was used as my personal contracting
service vehicle from 2007 thru 2012, and has seen a fair amount of use
as a personal "beater" work truck until present.

I have heard that starts and stops are the place most likely to crack.
Stacking tacks is all starts and stops. The thing is it was the only
way I was able to make some of these types of repairs over the years
within my skill level and the limits of my equipment at any particular
time. In theory I could do it with the AHP Alpha-TIG201XD tig welder as
a continuous weld, but I hardly ever use the TIG, just because I always
need to get the weld done now rather than build my TIG skills.

Anyway, I've kept an eye on my "stacked tacks" welds over the years, and
so far I have not had a weld failure.

Funny part? Last year I put rails in the bed of that truck for.... a
removable gooseneck hitch plate. LOL.

I actually went with rails (bolted through to brackets below the bed) so
I could swap between a gooseneck and a 5th wheel. I did consider
cutting the hole back out and putting in an under mount gooseneck, but
ultimately I thought rails would be better. I have since used both
hitch types.

Anyway, a lot of people put down flux core, but I've found the stuff to
be the Crescent wrench of welding. Not always the best, but it gets the
job done, and sometimes it is the best, because it gets the job done. I
can weld outdoors on a breezy day. I can weld overhead. I can carry a
suitcase with fluxcore a lot easier than a suitcase with a gas bottle.
They can be used for tacking up assemblies in place to make sure of
dimension and fitment before unbolting it and dragging it to the back of
the shop for weld out. Okay, I have 75' of heavy 220V extension cord
now so I can roll the big welder out front, but for years I didn't.

The biggest thing I dislike about Flux core is its a bit dirty. Its
sooty and seems to create a few more stickier BBs.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Burned some flux core today

<tot6uu$1hoeo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6849&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6849

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 18:02:35 -0600
 by: Snag - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 00:02 UTC

On 1/1/2023 12:51 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> [...]
> ultimately I thought rails would be better.  I have since used both
> hitch types.
>
> Anyway, a lot of people put down flux core, but I've found the stuff to
> be the Crescent wrench of welding.  Not always the best, but it gets the
> job done, and sometimes it is the best, because it gets the job done.  I
> can weld outdoors on a breezy day.  I can weld overhead.  I can carry a
> suitcase with fluxcore a lot easier than a suitcase with a gas bottle.
> They can be used for tacking up assemblies in place to make sure of
> dimension and fitment before unbolting it and dragging it to the back of
> the shop for weld out.  Okay, I have 75' of heavy 220V extension cord
> now so I can roll the big welder out front, but for years I didn't.
>
> The biggest thing I dislike about Flux core is its a bit dirty.  Its
> sooty and seems to create a few more stickier BBs.

Tack-stackin' is what worked for me on that stove repair ... I've got
2 11 pound rolls of .030 ER70S6 to try out , but I probably should
complete repairs to the plumbing (failed backup heat+3 degrees below
zero+we were out of town = a fuckin' mess) before I play around with a
new toy . Only reason I got to do this repair is because every time I
opened the stove to feed it we got smoke in the house ...
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts
but you can't make him think."

Re: Burned some flux core today

<tovaha$1ru4g$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6850&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6850

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 12:15:52 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 19:15 UTC

On 1/1/2023 5:02 PM, Snag wrote:
> [...]
>> a gas bottle. They can be used for tacking up assemblies in place to
>> make sure of dimension and fitment before unbolting it and dragging it
>> to the back of the shop for weld out.  Okay, I have 75' of heavy 220V
>> extension cord now so I can roll the big welder out front, but for
>> years I didn't.
>>
>> The biggest thing I dislike about Flux core is its a bit dirty.  Its
>> sooty and seems to create a few more stickier BBs.
>>

>   Tack-stackin' is what worked for me on that stove repair ... I've got
> 2 11 pound rolls of .030 ER70S6 to try out , but I probably should
> complete repairs to the plumbing (failed backup heat+3 degrees below
> zero+we were out of town = a fuckin' mess) before I play around with a
> new toy . Only reason I got to do this repair is because every time I
> opened the stove to feed it we got smoke in the house ...

I really like running ER70S6 with C25 (75/25) when I can weld horizontal
indoors on the welding table. Once you get it dialed in and get
yourself in the zone it burns some of the prettiest welds. It welds so
nice that if you have a big weldment tacked up and ready you don't want
to stop until you hit the duty cycle of the machine. I might enjoy that
more than most because of how much longer it took me to get there.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Burned some flux core today

<tovhgp$1smtg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6851&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6851

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 15:15:04 -0600
 by: Snag - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 21:15 UTC

On 1/2/2023 1:15 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> [...]
>>>

>>    Tack-stackin' is what worked for me on that stove repair ... I've
>> got 2 11 pound rolls of .030 ER70S6 to try out , but I probably should
>> complete repairs to the plumbing (failed backup heat+3 degrees below
>> zero+we were out of town = a fuckin' mess) before I play around with a
>> new toy . Only reason I got to do this repair is because every time I
>> opened the stove to feed it we got smoke in the house ...
>
> I really like running ER70S6 with C25 (75/25) when I can weld horizontal
> indoors on the welding table.  Once you get it dialed in and get
> yourself in the zone it burns some of the prettiest welds.  It welds so
> nice that if you have a big weldment tacked up and ready you don't want
> to stop until you hit the duty cycle of the machine.  I might enjoy that
> more than most because of how much longer it took me to get there.

Got the last of the busted pipes fixed today ... now all we need is a
new toilet . Tomorrow if all goes well I'll pick up a used one from the
local recycle center . That'll give me a little breathing room for other
stuff .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts
but you can't make him think."

Re: Burned some flux core today

<tovk0r$1siue$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6852&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6852

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 14:57:47 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 21:57 UTC

On 1/2/2023 2:15 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 1/2/2023 1:15 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

>>>    Tack-stackin' is what worked for me on that stove repair ... I've
>>> got 2 11 pound rolls of .030 ER70S6 to try out , but I probably
>>> should complete repairs to the plumbing (failed backup heat+3 degrees
>>> below zero+we were out of town = a fuckin' mess) before I play around
>>> with a new toy . Only reason I got to do this repair is because every
>>> time I opened the stove to feed it we got smoke in the house ...
>>
>> I really like running ER70S6 with C25 (75/25) when I can weld
>> horizontal indoors on the welding table.  Once you get it dialed in
>> and get yourself in the zone it burns some of the prettiest welds.  It
>> welds so nice that if you have a big weldment tacked up and ready you
>> don't want to stop until you hit the duty cycle of the machine.  I
>> might enjoy that more than most because of how much longer it took me
>> to get there.
>>

>   Got the last of the busted pipes fixed today ... now all we need is a
> new toilet . Tomorrow if all goes well I'll pick up a used one from the
> local recycle center . That'll give me a little breathing room for other
> stuff .

My dad once bought all the toilets coming out of a couple old hotels
that were being converted to office suites. He had them circling the
yard inside the fence at his hardware store for years. Amazingly he
sold a lot of parts from them. He made his money back and turned a
profit, but it took a while.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff