Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: lugnut...@spam.yahoo.com (Chris Jones)
Subject: Keysight
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 21:27:51 +1000
 by: Chris Jones - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 11:27 UTC

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/keysight-(lack-of)-calibration-other-services/

Re: Keysight

<b8htfgtuhr1ci2tm93l82o71bqlr92hto2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68678&group=sci.electronics.design#68678

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Keysight
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 07:23:29 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 14:23 UTC

On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 21:27:51 +1000, Chris Jones
<lugnut808@spam.yahoo.com> wrote:

>https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/keysight-(lack-of)-calibration-other-services/

Sounds like europe has too many rules.

I've heard that civilians can't buy parts in some places.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Keysight

<sdmhvu$23j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68682&group=sci.electronics.design#68682

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 15:48:29 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 14:48 UTC

On 26/07/2021 15:23, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 21:27:51 +1000, Chris Jones
> <lugnut808@spam.yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/keysight-(lack-of)-calibration-other-services/
>
> Sounds like europe has too many rules.

There is no rule that says you can't turn customers away if you want to.
RadioSpares UK used to be notorious for it in the good old days.

Unless you had your name up in lights less than 100yds from an A class
road they just would not sell to you. My friend who was an electronic
technician at a FE College could buy stuff from them at work due tot he
right signage and location (where they spent tens of pounds a month) but
not for his business at home where he was buying stuff in bulk.

These days they will sell to anyone, Farnell and Rapid always would.

It might be something about the distinction between consumer electronics
product safety liability insurance or something like that has made them
wary of selling things to consumers (or some MBA's bright idea).

> I've heard that civilians can't buy parts in some places.

You can't buy chemicals these days. Especially oxidisers.

Last time I bought some peroxide on Amazon it helpfully suggested that
people who buy this also buy acetone! An unfortunate recommendation.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Keysight

<c2ktfg9c06imb12lukgsr5nqmf5lmjvpqc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68683&group=sci.electronics.design#68683

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 08:11:52 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 15:11 UTC

On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 15:48:29 +0100, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>On 26/07/2021 15:23, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 21:27:51 +1000, Chris Jones
>> <lugnut808@spam.yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/keysight-(lack-of)-calibration-other-services/
>>
>> Sounds like europe has too many rules.
>
>There is no rule that says you can't turn customers away if you want to.
>RadioSpares UK used to be notorious for it in the good old days.
>
>Unless you had your name up in lights less than 100yds from an A class
>road they just would not sell to you. My friend who was an electronic
>technician at a FE College could buy stuff from them at work due tot he
>right signage and location (where they spent tens of pounds a month) but
>not for his business at home where he was buying stuff in bulk.
>
>These days they will sell to anyone, Farnell and Rapid always would.
>
>It might be something about the distinction between consumer electronics
>product safety liability insurance or something like that has made them
>wary of selling things to consumers (or some MBA's bright idea).
>
>> I've heard that civilians can't buy parts in some places.
>
>You can't buy chemicals these days. Especially oxidisers.
>
>Last time I bought some peroxide on Amazon it helpfully suggested that
>people who buy this also buy acetone! An unfortunate recommendation.

For a while I invented a fake company, Simple Systems Inc, to get free
magazines and samples and data books. Nobody asked for proof.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Keysight

<sdmu32$qr7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68700&group=sci.electronics.design#68700

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 11:14:55 -0700
 by: Don Y - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 18:14 UTC

On 7/26/2021 7:48 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
> There is no rule that says you can't turn customers away if you want to.
> RadioSpares UK used to be notorious for it in the good old days.

Of course! There are costs associated with customers -- ANY kind of customer.
A smart businessman wants those costs to be offset by the "business" gained.
(keeping in mind that time spent on customer A can't be spent on a more
lucrative POTENTIAL customer B)

> You can't buy chemicals these days. Especially oxidisers.
>
> Last time I bought some peroxide on Amazon it helpfully suggested that people
> who buy this also buy acetone! An unfortunate recommendation.

A client that manufactures pharmaceutical production equipment recounted
a story of an *individual* (it's relatively easy to determine if you are
a "real business" -- esp one of size!) looking to purchase a small,
hand-cycled tablet press. These would typically be used when experimenting
with formulations in the lab BEFORE releasing to production (e.g., checking
dissolution times, friability, etc.).

They tipped off the authorities and weren't surprised to discover the guy
was running an illegal drug operation.