try again

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: A Book that is Useless

SubjectAuthor
* A Book that is UselessQuadibloc
+* Re: A Book that is Uselesskellehe...@gmail.com
|`* Re: A Book that is UselessThe Therapist
| `* Re: A Book that is Uselessfred k. engels®
|  `- Re: A Book that is UselessStarDust
+- Re: A Book that is UselessStarDust
`- Re: A Book that is Uselessfred k. engels®

1
A Book that is Useless

<0f06bbdb-e2b4-46fa-8582-25daf2d5c0b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6910&group=sci.astro.amateur#6910

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 02:23:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: A Book that is Useless
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 09:23 UTC

The title of the book, available on this page,

https://archive.org/details/howtokeepclockr01warngoog

is "How to Keep the Clock Right By Observations of the Fixed
Stars with a Small Fixed Telescope and a Little Arithmetic".

Nowadays, of course, what with smartphones setting their time
over the Internet automatically, and various other contrivances
for highly accurate timekeeping being available at little expense for
those who wish to do so, it is unlikely any amateur would feel the
need to set up his very own transit circle.

And, of course, the tables in the book are rather out of date due
to the precession of the equinoxes.

But understanding how a transit circle works - and how it can
work, because the complex Equation of Time affects the Sun's
position, but *not* that of the stars - is of course useful to a
sound understanding of astronomy, as a frequent poster here
is evidence of.

John Savard

Re: A Book that is Useless

<8de8a9b2-57fa-4758-86b7-3da2f6af5977n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6911&group=sci.astro.amateur#6911

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 05:10:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: A Book that is Useless
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (kellehe...@gmail.com)
 by: kellehe...@gmail.com - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 12:10 UTC

On Tuesday, October 26, 2021 at 10:23:44 AM UTC+1, Quadibloc wrote:
> The title of the book, available on this page,
>
> https://archive.org/details/howtokeepclockr01warngoog
>
> is "How to Keep the Clock Right By Observations of the Fixed
> Stars with a Small Fixed Telescope and a Little Arithmetic".
>
> Nowadays, of course, what with smartphones setting their time
> over the Internet automatically, and various other contrivances
> for highly accurate timekeeping being available at little expense for
> those who wish to do so, it is unlikely any amateur would feel the
> need to set up his very own transit circle.
>
> And, of course, the tables in the book are rather out of date due
> to the precession of the equinoxes.
>
> But understanding how a transit circle works - and how it can
> work, because the complex Equation of Time affects the Sun's
> position, but *not* that of the stars - is of course useful to a
> sound understanding of astronomy, as a frequent poster here
> is evidence of.
>
> John Savard

You spend too much time on the science fantasy forums and therefore are too wishy washy to know the difference between checking the accuracy of a clock daily using circumpolar motion as opposed to affirming the planet turns once in 24 hours using the averaging process expressed by the Equation of Time(keeping).

Stick with what you know if that is all you can manage, but others can do better. The following statement is both crude and false, even though it was the RA/Dec framework by which Sir Isaac tried to rob solar system research of its interpretative qualities-

"... our clocks kept so good a correspondence with the Heavens that I doubt it not, but they would prove the revolutions of the Earth to be isochronical [constant]... " Flamsteed to Moore

The title of the book is fine if all it means is checking the accuracy of a watch of clock, when it overreaches and determines that RA/Dec displaces the 24 hour and Lat/Long systems then it would be bogus.

Re: A Book that is Useless

<d6fd7e7c-e30e-4b6c-9b9f-77e9896c3486n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6912&group=sci.astro.amateur#6912

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 16:03:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: csok...@gmail.com (StarDust)
 by: StarDust - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 23:03 UTC

On Tuesday, October 26, 2021 at 2:23:44 AM UTC-7, Quadibloc wrote:
> The title of the book, available on this page,
>
> https://archive.org/details/howtokeepclockr01warngoog
>
> is "How to Keep the Clock Right By Observations of the Fixed
> Stars with a Small Fixed Telescope and a Little Arithmetic".
>
> Nowadays, of course, what with smartphones setting their time
> over the Internet automatically, and various other contrivances
> for highly accurate timekeeping being available at little expense for
> those who wish to do so, it is unlikely any amateur would feel the
> need to set up his very own transit circle.
>
> And, of course, the tables in the book are rather out of date due
> to the precession of the equinoxes.
>
> But understanding how a transit circle works - and how it can
> work, because the complex Equation of Time affects the Sun's
> position, but *not* that of the stars - is of course useful to a
> sound understanding of astronomy, as a frequent poster here
> is evidence of.
>
> John Savard

My telescope use sand clock for time keeping!
Cheap, plenty of sand around too!
Bruhaha!

Re: A Book that is Useless

<slai7d$76n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6913&group=sci.astro.amateur#6913

From: therapu...@isthegame.com (The Therapist)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 23:49:01 -0400
 by: The Therapist - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 03:49 UTC

On 10/26/21 8:10 AM, kellehe...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 26, 2021 at 10:23:44 AM UTC+1, Quadibloc wrote:
>> The title of the book, available on this page,
>>
>> https://archive.org/details/howtokeepclockr01warngoog
>>
>> is "How to Keep the Clock Right By Observations of the Fixed
>> Stars with a Small Fixed Telescope and a Little Arithmetic".
>>
>> Nowadays, of course, what with smartphones setting their time
>> over the Internet automatically, and various other contrivances
>> for highly accurate timekeeping being available at little expense for
>> those who wish to do so, it is unlikely any amateur would feel the
>> need to set up his very own transit circle.
>>
>> And, of course, the tables in the book are rather out of date due
>> to the precession of the equinoxes.
>>
>> But understanding how a transit circle works - and how it can
>> work, because the complex Equation of Time affects the Sun's
>> position, but *not* that of the stars - is of course useful to a
>> sound understanding of astronomy, as a frequent poster here
>> is evidence of.
>>
>> John Savard
>

> You spend too much time on the science fantasy forums and therefore are too wishy washy to know the difference between checking the accuracy of a clock daily using circumpolar motion as opposed to affirming the planet turns once in 24 hours using the averaging process expressed by the Equation of Time(keeping).
>
> Stick with what you know if that is all you can manage, but others can do better. The following statement is both crude and false, even though it was the RA/Dec framework by which Sir Isaac tried to rob solar system research of its interpretative qualities-
>
> "... our clocks kept so good a correspondence with the Heavens that I doubt it not, but they would prove the revolutions of the Earth to be isochronical [constant]... " Flamsteed to Moore
>
> The title of the book is fine if all it means is checking the accuracy of a watch of clock, when it overreaches and determines that RA/Dec displaces the 24 hour and Lat/Long systems then it would be bogus.

You need a therapist.

Re: A Book that is Useless

<sle9sf$5pt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6919&group=sci.astro.amateur#6919

From: radi8usb...@gnmbo.com (fred k. engels®)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 06:51:08 -0700
 by: fred k. engels® - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 13:51 UTC

The guy is too busy sucking on mom's tits for that!!!!!!!
here's why he posts useless horseshit® like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M24W4r8ppv4
&
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-993ampZHQ&list=PLmx7HMepeSoXU1Az7tDHcaodz4UdsPfex&index=74

You need a therapist.

Re: A Book that is Useless

<2c1ddd44-44d3-455c-a2f9-9e21fd6b3a9bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6922&group=sci.astro.amateur#6922

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 14:09:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: csok...@gmail.com (StarDust)
 by: StarDust - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 21:09 UTC

On Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 6:51:17 AM UTC-7, fred k. engels® wrote:
> The guy is too busy sucking on mom's tits for that!!!!!!!
> here's why he posts useless horseshit® like this
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M24W4r8ppv4
> &
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-993ampZHQ&list=PLmx7HMepeSoXU1Az7tDHcaodz4UdsPfex&index=74
>

> You need a therapist.

Suck more!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyjJGrv7z3U

Re: A Book that is Useless

<slh0mk$qus$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6929&group=sci.astro.amateur#6929

From: radi8usb...@gnmbo.com (fred k. engels®)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 07:32:50 -0700
 by: fred k. engels® - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 14:32 UTC

ALL MEMBERS - PLEASE READ - IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!!!
Prime Minister Justin Blackface tweeted his condolences that those Chicoms
have just launched ANOTHER massive spy satellite into

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztP6XlprT14

So, How's that astro photography horseshit® working out for ya?