CCI Power 6/40: one board, a megabyte of cache, and an attitude...

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Fondriest

SubjectAuthor
* FondriestTom Kunich
`* Re: FondriestAndre Jute
 +- Re: FondriestAndre Jute
 `* Re: FondriestCatrike Rider
  `* Re: FondriestAndre Jute
   `- Re: FondriestTony Mike

1
Fondriest

<759496fa-055e-459c-8cd3-dac0c692bc10n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=69527&group=rec.bicycles.tech#69527

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 09:14:18 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Fondriest
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 17:14 UTC

Within two weeks I should be getting my Fondriest from Italy. I intend to remove the Record group from the Basso and install it on the Fondriest. Looking at it I think that I have all the bits and pieces I need except possibly some small bit around the headset which I have on order already and are due in the next week.

The Basso is a very good frameset but it simply doesn't fit me correct and so feels like it doesn't steer well. It will eventually sell because it is a racing team bike made from the Oria or Dediaccia tubing that the pro teams started using in the late 90's. But how long it takes to sell in a marketplace with massive inflation remains to be seen. My Aliverti and Tommasini Fire are sport bikes. The Aliverti handles as close to perfect as possible and the Tommasini Fire is very close to the weight of a carbon fiber bicycle in its size (60 cm). I'm afraid that I've been overeating and put on a couple of lbs in the last 30 days and like all of the years before I will have to work that off come spring.

So I will have some very hard days on the Moraga ride and then suddenly I'm riding normally again. But I don't know if my figure will change back at 78. I developed a pot gut and although my weight was the normal 175-180 that didn't change.

The Fondriest ought to be interesting since it looks like a larger bike than the 60 cm it is. But the Time Krylon fork I am going to install has all of the proper measurements so that the geometry should be as designed by Fondriest.

I get the idea that I am slowing down on the descents but then I notice that doesn't seem to be the case with well paved roads. So my slowness on the descents is probably just the condition of the lousy roads in California now. Next late spring I will probably do our annual Capitola ride again so that I can smack Liebermann around if he is in the vicinity.

Re: Fondriest

<5be53faf-ce14-4575-95fb-bd68374f4650n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=69607&group=rec.bicycles.tech#69607

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 02:20:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Fondriest
From: fiult...@yahoo.com (Andre Jute)
 by: Andre Jute - Tue, 6 Dec 2022 10:20 UTC

On Monday, December 5, 2022 at 5:14:20 PM UTC, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Within two weeks I should be getting my Fondriest from Italy. I intend to remove the Record group from the Basso and install it on the Fondriest. Looking at it I think that I have all the bits and pieces I need except possibly some small bit around the headset which I have on order already and are due in the next week.
>
> The Basso is a very good frameset but it simply doesn't fit me correct and so feels like it doesn't steer well. It will eventually sell because it is a racing team bike made from the Oria or Dediaccia tubing that the pro teams started using in the late 90's. But how long it takes to sell in a marketplace with massive inflation remains to be seen. My Aliverti and Tommasini Fire are sport bikes. The Aliverti handles as close to perfect as possible and the Tommasini Fire is very close to the weight of a carbon fiber bicycle in its size (60 cm). I'm afraid that I've been overeating and put on a couple of lbs in the last 30 days and like all of the years before I will have to work that off come spring.
>
> So I will have some very hard days on the Moraga ride and then suddenly I'm riding normally again. But I don't know if my figure will change back at 78. I developed a pot gut and although my weight was the normal 175-180 that didn't change.
>
> The Fondriest ought to be interesting since it looks like a larger bike than the 60 cm it is. But the Time Krylon fork I am going to install has all of the proper measurements so that the geometry should be as designed by Fondriest.
>
> I get the idea that I am slowing down on the descents but then I notice that doesn't seem to be the case with well paved roads. So my slowness on the descents is probably just the condition of the lousy roads in California now. Next late spring I will probably do our annual Capitola ride again so that I can smack Liebermann around if he is in the vicinity.

Back before I learned how easy it is to fit a bike to the rider, I was devastated to learn that I'm sensitive to as little as a millimetre of change. I should have known this from being fitted for racing cars, but there the seat is made to fit you, and to whatever part of the controls is not adjustable, and the job is done by an ergonomics expert so smoothly, you never think to ask all the questions you should. It's absolutely amazing, in retrospect now that I know that roughly 99 percent of the world isn't as competent as the people I took for granted in my innocent roof, what those guys could do with just a seat, especially in endurance racing where two or more drivers will share the car and there is no time at the changeover to fine-tune pedals or the steering column or the height of the gear lever.

But once I learned how easy it is to adjust a bike's fit to you, especially if you couldn't care less if the bike appeals in its proportions to the roadie concept of a "proper bike", I would prefer a smaller bike to the larger. In fact, I rode on 26in wheels for a few years, taking the theory to the limit, but after a while the sacrifice in comfort, and thee poorer handling of the smaller wheels, negated the perceived advantages and I went back to 622mm rims and ever fatter tyres until I settled on the 60mm Big Apples, which have vastly superior roadholding and handling to their thinner, harder Schwalbe brethren.

Ironically, my Utopia Kranich, second size from the top, two meters long, a dozen or so years after I bought it, is about the "proper" size for me, taking into account the shrinking that comes with age.

I can't now remember if I sat in for one semester or two of ergonomics, but if I'd known I'd be a cyclist one day, I woulda taken the full course, especially as the guy who gave it had an amusing turn of phrase. Years later, at another university, I ran into him in the staff club and told him this, and he said, "Nah, ergonomics, for people with brains, is a natural function. You can busk it, my old son." Yeah. But it costs time and wasted money to busk it! On the other hand, everyone needs a hobby.

Andre Jute
We live and learn.

Re: Fondriest

<7f35a485-e4cf-480f-83a8-dbfd65399899n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=69609&group=rec.bicycles.tech#69609

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 02:24:53 -0800 (PST)
From: fiult...@yahoo.com (Andre Jute)
 by: Andre Jute - Tue, 6 Dec 2022 10:24 UTC

On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 10:20:15 AM UTC, Andre Jute wrote:
> [...]
> >
> Ironically, my Utopia Kranich, second size from the top, two meters long, a dozen or so years after I bought it, is about the "proper" size for me, taking into account the shrinking that comes with age.
> >
> I can't now remember if I sat in for one semester or two of ergonomics, but if I'd known I'd be a cyclist one day, I woulda taken the full course, especially as the guy who gave it had an amusing turn of phrase. Years later, at another university, I ran into him in the staff club and told him this, and he said, "Nah, ergonomics, for people with brains, is a natural function. You can busk it, my old son." Yeah. But it costs time and wasted money to busk it! On the other hand, everyone needs a hobby.

PS I'm definitely slowing down on the descents, by conscious decision limiting myself to 50kph rather than just going as fast as the bike will carry me. Broken hips will probably kill me as my forms of exercise are the bike and the treadmill.

Re: Fondriest

<m17uoh1po2su8j728r4884ppa53boveubb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=69612&group=rec.bicycles.tech#69612

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2022 06:11:32 -0500
 by: Catrike Rider - Tue, 6 Dec 2022 11:11 UTC

On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 02:20:13 -0800 (PST), Andre Jute
<fiultra1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>Ironically, my Utopia Kranich, second size from the top, two meters long, a dozen or so years after I bought it, is about the "proper" size for me, taking into account the shrinking that comes with age.
>>
>I can't now remember if I sat in for one semester or two of ergonomics, but if I'd known I'd be a cyclist one day, I woulda taken the full course, especially as the guy who gave it had an amusing turn of phrase. Years later, at another university, I ran into him in the staff club and told him this, and he said, "Nah, ergonomics, for people with brains, is a natural function. You can busk it, my old son." Yeah. But it costs time and wasted money to busk it! On the other hand, everyone needs a hobby.

Indeed, minute changes in any part of my Catrike's configuration
introduce a sense of "something_is_wrong." Last summer, my doctor
said I should do something about the sun damaged skin on my forearms
and the backs of my hands.

The forearm "gauntlets" were easy, but the gloves crated a problem. I
hadn't worn biking gloves since I'd given up two-wheelers, but I
reluctantly bought some.

The problem began when the thickness of the glove caused my hands to
interact with my top mounted mirror mounts and pushed my little finger
off the end of the grips. The solution was to lower the grips by a
half inch. The tube my grips are attached to lean forward bit, so
lowering the grips also moved back toward my a tiny bit.

I ride with my hands and arms shoulder high and stretched forward so
as to keep my shoulders from slouching, and now, my shoulders
slouched. I then had to move the entire handlebar rig forward. Each of
my modified handlebar rigs consists of three individual tubes which
attach the original tube coming back from the headsets.

My shoulders and neck resumed their preferred position, but now my
forearms came into contact with my shift levers, and moving them
interferred with my computer mount on the right side and my MP3 mount
on the left, niether of which has yet been resolved to my satifaction,
but I have plans.

The search for perfection is never ending....

Re: Fondriest

<71d5e15f-94d9-498a-b92e-ff46c6f8d421n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70373&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70373

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 17:01:35 -0800 (PST)
From: fiult...@yahoo.com (Andre Jute)
 by: Andre Jute - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 01:01 UTC

On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 11:11:34 AM UTC, Catrike Rider wrote:
> [...]
> off the end of the grips. The solution was to lower the grips by a
> half inch. The tube my grips are attached to lean forward bit, so
> lowering the grips also moved back toward my a tiny bit.
>
> I ride with my hands and arms shoulder high and stretched forward so
> as to keep my shoulders from slouching, and now, my shoulders
> slouched. I then had to move the entire handlebar rig forward. Each of
> my modified handlebar rigs consists of three individual tubes which
> attach the original tube coming back from the headsets.
>
> My shoulders and neck resumed their preferred position, but now my
> forearms came into contact with my shift levers, and moving them
> interferred with my computer mount on the right side and my MP3 mount
> on the left, niether of which has yet been resolved to my satifaction,
> but I have plans.
>
> The search for perfection is never ending....

I am very fair-skinned, so I have the same problems. Two years ago I had growth on my hand cut off -- nothing dangerous found and the scar is quite gone but the surgeon told me to stay out of the sun and didn't appear to believe when I said I don't leave the house without a hat and gloves or my cycling helmet, which has a visor.

If you don't like cycling gloves, get some soft leather dress gloves and cycle with them. I've done that for thirty years, and they're so much more practical than "cycling gloves".

Andre Jute
For an Irishman, malignant melanoma is a far greater threat than global warming.

Re: Fondriest

<5b58519a-8714-4a63-97ee-4fb1f1c1259fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=89589&group=rec.bicycles.tech#89589

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 14:42:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: tonnymik...@gmail.com (Tony Mike)
 by: Tony Mike - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 21:42 UTC

https://alphaspirituality.com
https://alphaspirituality.com/product/purple-mdma/
https://alphaspirituality.com/product/rybelsus-weight-loss/
https://alphaspirituality.com/product/buy-ozempic-online/