Time sharing: The use of many people by the computer.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Motor Unicycle

SubjectAuthor
* Motor UnicycleJoy Beeson
+* Re: Motor UnicyclepH
|`* Re: Motor UnicycleTim R
| `- Re: Motor UnicycleAMuzi
+* Re: Motor UnicycleWilliam Crowell
|`* Re: Motor UnicycleRalph Barone
| `* Re: Motor UnicycleSir Ridesalot
|  +* Re: Motor UnicycleFrank Krygowski
|  |+* Re: Motor UnicyclepH
|  ||+* Re: Motor UnicycleFrank Krygowski
|  |||`- Re: Motor UnicyclepH
|  ||+* Re: Motor UnicycleAMuzi
|  |||+- Re: Motor UnicycleWilliam Crowell
|  |||`* Re: Motor UnicyclepH
|  ||| `- Re: Motor UnicycleWilliam Crowell
|  ||+* Re: Motor UnicycleTim R
|  |||`- Re: Motor UnicycleFrank Krygowski
|  ||`- Re: Motor UnicycleTom Kunich
|  |`* Re: Motor UnicycleWilliam Crowell
|  | `- Re: Motor UnicycleFrank Krygowski
|  `- Re: Motor UnicycleRalph Barone
`* Re: Motor UnicycleAMuzi
 `- Re: Motor Unicyclefunkma...@hotmail.com

1
Motor Unicycle

<jj40oh1mnmm43g87ae7gjne5ncgd165ttu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68639&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68639

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Motor Unicycle
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 19:57:14 -0500
 by: Joy Beeson - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 00:57 UTC

Wednesday, 25 November 2022

Up until today, I didn't know there was such a thing as a one-wheel
motorcycle.

Perfect day for riding, so I went to check out the gym we just joined,
explore the new Big Lots, and have a taco salad at Taco Bell. Taco
Bell no longer sells taco salad; caught off guard, I forgot that I
also like the pita taco they call "chalupa", and ordered the
double-decker tostada they call "mexican pizza"; it was quite good
with the sauerkraut I'd brought for the taco salad. It was made with
flour tortillas fried into extra-thin piecrust instead of the crunchy
corn tortillas I'd had on a previous occasion; this was much easier to
cut into bites.

On my way home, shortly after I'd abandoned the Heritage Trail at the
first ramp to Park Avenue, I saw a guy riding a motor unicycle on the
Trail, headed for a "walk your bike" zone strongly enforced by loose
gravel, dug-up pavement, and the occasional road-building machine.

How on Earth, says I to me, do you walk such a great heavy thing? I
can walk Dave's unicycle, but it's easier to pick it up and carry it.
I could see only one side of the wheel, and the setting sun was behind
it, but I'm pretty sure that carrying it in one hand was not an
option.

But shortly before I reached the Boathouse, where the Trail dives into
a parking lot and splits from the street, I saw him coming back.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: Motor Unicycle

<tlr34b$12elj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68694&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68694

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Motor Unicycle
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 18:56:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 18:56 UTC

On 2022-11-25, Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

> Wednesday, 25 November 2022
>
> Up until today, I didn't know there was such a thing as a one-wheel
> motorcycle.
>
> Perfect day for riding, so I went to check out the gym we just joined,
> explore the new Big Lots, and have a taco salad at Taco Bell. Taco
> Bell no longer sells taco salad; caught off guard, I forgot that I
> also like the pita taco they call "chalupa", and ordered the
> double-decker tostada they call "mexican pizza"; it was quite good
> with the sauerkraut I'd brought for the taco salad. It was made with
> flour tortillas fried into extra-thin piecrust instead of the crunchy
> corn tortillas I'd had on a previous occasion; this was much easier to
> cut into bites.
>
> On my way home, shortly after I'd abandoned the Heritage Trail at the
> first ramp to Park Avenue, I saw a guy riding a motor unicycle on the
> Trail, headed for a "walk your bike" zone strongly enforced by loose
> gravel, dug-up pavement, and the occasional road-building machine.
>
> How on Earth, says I to me, do you walk such a great heavy thing? I
> can walk Dave's unicycle, but it's easier to pick it up and carry it.
> I could see only one side of the wheel, and the setting sun was behind
> it, but I'm pretty sure that carrying it in one hand was not an
> option.
>
> But shortly before I reached the Boathouse, where the Trail dives into
> a parking lot and splits from the street, I saw him coming back.

Wow, around here they have a modified skate board called a "one wheel"...I
guess that's a brandname, but have never seen a motorized unicycle.
I assume it was electric?

What I always thought were neat were the unicycles that would come through
on the local bike events, you know, the century et. al. rides.
They'd normally do the shorter routes.

They were this big 36" unicycles with a Schulmpf two-speed bottom bracket.
I researched it once and seem to recall that 1:1.67 was one of the ratios
available--that would give a 60" gear for the flats....pretty cool.

pH in Aptos

Re: Motor Unicycle

<432ba42c-f6d8-4836-8510-b95a55824089n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68715&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68715

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 17:25:21 -0800 (PST)
From: timothy4...@gmail.com (Tim R)
 by: Tim R - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 01:25 UTC

On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 1:56:14 PM UTC-5, pH wrote:
> On 2022-11-25, Joy Beeson <jbe...@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > Wednesday, 25 November 2022
> >
> > Up until today, I didn't know there was such a thing as a one-wheel
> > motorcycle.
> >
> > Perfect day for riding, so I went to check out the gym we just joined,
> > explore the new Big Lots, and have a taco salad at Taco Bell. Taco
> > Bell no longer sells taco salad; caught off guard, I forgot that I
> > also like the pita taco they call "chalupa", and ordered the
> > double-decker tostada they call "mexican pizza"; it was quite good
> > with the sauerkraut I'd brought for the taco salad. It was made with
> > flour tortillas fried into extra-thin piecrust instead of the crunchy
> > corn tortillas I'd had on a previous occasion; this was much easier to
> > cut into bites.
> >
> > On my way home, shortly after I'd abandoned the Heritage Trail at the
> > first ramp to Park Avenue, I saw a guy riding a motor unicycle on the
> > Trail, headed for a "walk your bike" zone strongly enforced by loose
> > gravel, dug-up pavement, and the occasional road-building machine.
> >
> > How on Earth, says I to me, do you walk such a great heavy thing? I
> > can walk Dave's unicycle, but it's easier to pick it up and carry it.
> > I could see only one side of the wheel, and the setting sun was behind
> > it, but I'm pretty sure that carrying it in one hand was not an
> > option.
> >
> > But shortly before I reached the Boathouse, where the Trail dives into
> > a parking lot and splits from the street, I saw him coming back.
> >
> Wow, around here they have a modified skate board called a "one wheel"...I
> guess that's a brandname, but have never seen a motorized unicycle.
> I assume it was electric?
>
> What I always thought were neat were the unicycles that would come through
> on the local bike events, you know, the century et. al. rides.
> They'd normally do the shorter routes.
>
> They were this big 36" unicycles with a Schulmpf two-speed bottom bracket.
> I researched it once and seem to recall that 1:1.67 was one of the ratios
> available--that would give a 60" gear for the flats....pretty cool.
>
> pH in Aptos

What would be cool is a jousting competition with the contestants on motorized unicycles.

Re: Motor Unicycle

<tlrr4u$159nq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68717&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68717

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 19:46:07 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 01:46 UTC

On 11/25/2022 7:25 PM, Tim R wrote:
> On Friday, November 25, 2022 at 1:56:14 PM UTC-5, pH wrote:
>> On 2022-11-25, Joy Beeson <jbe...@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> Wednesday, 25 November 2022
>>>
>>> Up until today, I didn't know there was such a thing as a one-wheel
>>> motorcycle.
>>>
>>> Perfect day for riding, so I went to check out the gym we just joined,
>>> explore the new Big Lots, and have a taco salad at Taco Bell. Taco
>>> Bell no longer sells taco salad; caught off guard, I forgot that I
>>> also like the pita taco they call "chalupa", and ordered the
>>> double-decker tostada they call "mexican pizza"; it was quite good
>>> with the sauerkraut I'd brought for the taco salad. It was made with
>>> flour tortillas fried into extra-thin piecrust instead of the crunchy
>>> corn tortillas I'd had on a previous occasion; this was much easier to
>>> cut into bites.
>>>
>>> On my way home, shortly after I'd abandoned the Heritage Trail at the
>>> first ramp to Park Avenue, I saw a guy riding a motor unicycle on the
>>> Trail, headed for a "walk your bike" zone strongly enforced by loose
>>> gravel, dug-up pavement, and the occasional road-building machine.
>>>
>>> How on Earth, says I to me, do you walk such a great heavy thing? I
>>> can walk Dave's unicycle, but it's easier to pick it up and carry it.
>>> I could see only one side of the wheel, and the setting sun was behind
>>> it, but I'm pretty sure that carrying it in one hand was not an
>>> option.
>>>
>>> But shortly before I reached the Boathouse, where the Trail dives into
>>> a parking lot and splits from the street, I saw him coming back.
>>>
>> Wow, around here they have a modified skate board called a "one wheel"...I
>> guess that's a brandname, but have never seen a motorized unicycle.
>> I assume it was electric?
>>
>> What I always thought were neat were the unicycles that would come through
>> on the local bike events, you know, the century et. al. rides.
>> They'd normally do the shorter routes.
>>
>> They were this big 36" unicycles with a Schulmpf two-speed bottom bracket.
>> I researched it once and seem to recall that 1:1.67 was one of the ratios
>> available--that would give a 60" gear for the flats....pretty cool.
>>
>> pH in Aptos
>
> What would be cool is a jousting competition with the contestants on motorized unicycles.

Merely pointy lances or barbed?

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Motor Unicycle

<6ed75407-b103-4842-a079-0a65fe5f0f25n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68729&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68729

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 05:37:11 -0800 (PST)
From: retroguy...@gmail.com (William Crowell)
 by: William Crowell - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 13:37 UTC

Joy, is this a device similar to a Segway, or different?

Re: Motor Unicycle

<tltr6l$121g$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68761&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68761

From: ral...@invalid.com (Ralph Barone)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 19:59:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ralph Barone - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 19:59 UTC

William Crowell <retroguybilly@gmail.com> wrote:
> Joy, is this a device similar to a Segway, or different?

If I’m guessing correctly, what Joy is talking about is a 12”-ish wheel
with a foot sized plate on either side a couple inches off the ground, and
a battery, motor and the brains of a Segway inside. I think you’re
responsible for right-left balance, but it tries to stay under you in the
front-back plane. They also make similar machines which look like a
skateboard, but with an 8” high, 6” wide wheel in the centre. Same idea.

Re: Motor Unicycle

<99145ac6-73f1-4088-ab21-d61eb3233ad9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68764&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68764

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 12:21:35 -0800 (PST)
From: i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca (Sir Ridesalot)
 by: Sir Ridesalot - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 20:21 UTC

On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 2:59:22 p.m. UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
> William Crowell <retrog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Joy, is this a device similar to a Segway, or different?
> >
> If I’m guessing correctly, what Joy is talking about is a 12”-ish wheel
> with a foot sized plate on either side a couple inches off the ground, and
> a battery, motor and the brains of a Segway inside. I think you’re
> responsible for right-left balance, but it tries to stay under you in the
> front-back plane. They also make similar machines which look like a
> skateboard, but with an 8” high, 6” wide wheel in the centre. Same idea.

I'm surprised at how fast these things can go.
From: https://eridehero.com/best-electric-unicycles/

"How fast do electric unicycles go?

The speed of an electric unicycle is tied to its motor power. The more powerful the motor, the faster the vehicle will go.

The cheapest unicycles peak at around 10mph, but in our top picks, the slowest is still 18mph, which feels very fast. The higher-end units can go 40+ mph, but manufacturers recommend avoiding that speed for safety reasons. Before unleashing your unicycle’s full power, be aware of any laws about speed for personal electric vehicles."

I also see that they do NOT have a centre pole and saddle.

Cheers

Re: Motor Unicycle

<tlu370$1f7au$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68772&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68772

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 17:16:00 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 22:16 UTC

On 11/26/2022 3:21 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 2:59:22 p.m. UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
>> William Crowell <retrog...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Joy, is this a device similar to a Segway, or different?
>>>
>> If I’m guessing correctly, what Joy is talking about is a 12”-ish wheel
>> with a foot sized plate on either side a couple inches off the ground, and
>> a battery, motor and the brains of a Segway inside. I think you’re
>> responsible for right-left balance, but it tries to stay under you in the
>> front-back plane. They also make similar machines which look like a
>> skateboard, but with an 8” high, 6” wide wheel in the centre. Same idea.
>
> I'm surprised at how fast these things can go.
> From: https://eridehero.com/best-electric-unicycles/
>
> "How fast do electric unicycles go?
>
> The speed of an electric unicycle is tied to its motor power. The more powerful the motor, the faster the vehicle will go.
>
> The cheapest unicycles peak at around 10mph, but in our top picks, the slowest is still 18mph, which feels very fast. The higher-end units can go 40+ mph, but manufacturers recommend avoiding that speed for safety reasons. Before unleashing your unicycle’s full power, be aware of any laws about speed for personal electric vehicles."
>
> I also see that they do NOT have a centre pole and saddle.

Speaking of those: Can anyone here ride a conventional unicycle? I once
tried just a little, then gave it up after no success.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Motor Unicycle

<tlu78k$3o1$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68784&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68784

From: ral...@invalid.com (Ralph Barone)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 23:25:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ralph Barone - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 23:25 UTC

Sir Ridesalot <i_am_cycle_pathic@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 2:59:22 p.m. UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
>> William Crowell <retrog...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Joy, is this a device similar to a Segway, or different?
>>>
>> If I’m guessing correctly, what Joy is talking about is a 12”-ish wheel
>> with a foot sized plate on either side a couple inches off the ground, and
>> a battery, motor and the brains of a Segway inside. I think you’re
>> responsible for right-left balance, but it tries to stay under you in the
>> front-back plane. They also make similar machines which look like a
>> skateboard, but with an 8” high, 6” wide wheel in the centre. Same idea.
>
> I'm surprised at how fast these things can go.
> From: https://eridehero.com/best-electric-unicycles/
>
> "How fast do electric unicycles go?
>
> The speed of an electric unicycle is tied to its motor power. The more
> powerful the motor, the faster the vehicle will go.
>
> The cheapest unicycles peak at around 10mph, but in our top picks, the
> slowest is still 18mph, which feels very fast. The higher-end units can
> go 40+ mph, but manufacturers recommend avoiding that speed for safety
> reasons. Before unleashing your unicycle’s full power, be aware of any
> laws about speed for personal electric vehicles."
>
> I also see that they do NOT have a centre pole and saddle.
>
> Cheers

Given the ratio of the height of the center of gravity to the max
horizontal distance between the CG and the “front” wheel, I’d be scared to
try and stop fast on one of these.

Re: Motor Unicycle

<tlu98r$1fsf9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68791&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68791

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 23:59:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 23:59 UTC

On 2022-11-26, Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 11/26/2022 3:21 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
>>>>
>>> If I’m guessing correctly, what Joy is talking about is a 12”-ish wheel
>>> with a foot sized plate on either side a couple inches off the ground, and
>>> a battery, motor and the brains of a Segway inside. I think you’re
>>> responsible for right-left balance, but it tries to stay under you in the
>>> front-back plane. They also make similar machines which look like a
>>> skateboard, but with an 8” high, 6” wide wheel in the centre. Same idea.
>>
>> I'm surprised at how fast these things can go.
>> From: https://eridehero.com/best-electric-unicycles/
>>
>> "How fast do electric unicycles go?
>>
>> The speed of an electric unicycle is tied to its motor power. The more powerful the motor, the faster the vehicle will go.
>>
>> The cheapest unicycles peak at around 10mph, but in our top picks, the slowest is still 18mph, which feels very fast. The higher-end units can go 40+ mph, but manufacturers recommend avoiding that speed for safety reasons. Before unleashing your unicycle’s full power, be aware of any laws about speed for personal electric vehicles."
>>
>> I also see that they do NOT have a centre pole and saddle.
>
> Speaking of those: Can anyone here ride a conventional unicycle? I once
> tried just a little, then gave it up after no success.

Hi, Mr. (Dr.?) K.
(I *still* keep thinking you're in Arizona even though I believe you
informed me it's Ohio...I think.)

When I was in in college--dirt had just been invented--we had a unicycle
banging about on our floor. 72 people, 36 rooms, so we had a nice, *long*
hallway.

I got pretty good at the unicycle since we had handy walls and a long
straightaway with which to play and learn.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I think I got up to a 4 or five.
But...since I always had a wall available I was never able to master getting
on the dang thing without something to lean on somewhere. I think I had the
ability to get to that point eventually, but did not really have the desire
so just stayed at that level within the dorm.

We had one guy there who had what I can only say is the sports/physical
equivalent of "perfect pitch". Hand this guy the unicycle...he gets on sans
walls etc. and off he goes. Wow.

My Highwheel owning friend's son had a unicycle called a gazelle or
somethign like that...it was four feet tall or something like that. Seat,
bottom bracket chainring/chain down to the wheel w/ another chainring down
there.

It was something akin to getting the spacing all set up and then climbinb up
the thing like a ladder in three steps, I think. Pretty amazing.

Any high speed unicycles in your local ridership or around town?

pH in Aptos

Re: Motor Unicycle

<tlui6j$1gbo0$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68810&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68810

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 21:31:47 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 02:31 UTC

On 11/26/2022 6:59 PM, pH wrote:
> On 2022-11-26, Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> Speaking of those: Can anyone here ride a conventional unicycle? I once
>> tried just a little, then gave it up after no success.
>>

> Hi, Mr. (Dr.?) K.

Just Frank is fine.

> (I *still* keep thinking you're in Arizona even though I believe you
> informed me it's Ohio...I think.)
>
> When I was in in college--dirt had just been invented--we had a unicycle
> banging about on our floor. 72 people, 36 rooms, so we had a nice, *long*
> hallway.
>
> I got pretty good at the unicycle since we had handy walls and a long
> straightaway with which to play and learn.
>
> On a scale of 1 to 10, I think I got up to a 4 or five.
> But...since I always had a wall available I was never able to master getting
> on the dang thing without something to lean on somewhere. I think I had the
> ability to get to that point eventually, but did not really have the desire
> so just stayed at that level within the dorm.
>
> We had one guy there who had what I can only say is the sports/physical
> equivalent of "perfect pitch". Hand this guy the unicycle...he gets on sans
> walls etc. and off he goes. Wow.
>
> My Highwheel owning friend's son had a unicycle called a gazelle or
> somethign like that...it was four feet tall or something like that. Seat,
> bottom bracket chainring/chain down to the wheel w/ another chainring down
> there.
>
> It was something akin to getting the spacing all set up and then climbinb up
> the thing like a ladder in three steps, I think. Pretty amazing.

Maybe a Giraffe unicycle?
https://www.unicycle.com/club-5-deluxe-giraffe-unicycle-black/

I think those might actually be easier, although I've never tried one.
In a sense, it seems similar to an Ordinary or high-wheel antique bike.
The Ordinary's tipping motion is much slower than a standard bike,
making it far easier to balance, just like a yardstick is far easier to
balance than a 12" ruler.

> Any high speed unicycles in your local ridership or around town?

I've never seen a classic unicycle being ridden on a road or bike path
around here. I've seen only one or two of those One Wheel electric gizmos.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Motor Unicycle

<1b8288ad-baf5-4b19-89ba-a3c280daa060n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68817&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68817

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 01:15:31 -0800 (PST)
From: retroguy...@gmail.com (William Crowell)
 by: William Crowell - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 09:15 UTC

Speaking of those: Can anyone here ride a conventional unicycle? I once tried just a little, then gave it up after no success.

Yep!

Re: Motor Unicycle

<tm02jc$1msea$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68827&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68827

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 10:17:50 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 16:17 UTC

On 11/26/2022 5:59 PM, pH wrote:
> On 2022-11-26, Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> I'm surprised at how fast these things can go.
>>> From: https://eridehero.com/best-electric-unicycles/
>>>
>>> "How fast do electric unicycles go?
>>>
>>> The speed of an electric unicycle is tied to its motor power. The more powerful the motor, the faster the vehicle will go.
>>>
>>> The cheapest unicycles peak at around 10mph, but in our top picks, the slowest is still 18mph, which feels very fast. The higher-end units can go 40+ mph, but manufacturers recommend avoiding that speed for safety reasons. Before unleashing your unicycle’s full power, be aware of any laws about speed for personal electric vehicles."
>>>
>>> I also see that they do NOT have a centre pole and saddle.
>>
>> Speaking of those: Can anyone here ride a conventional unicycle? I once
>> tried just a little, then gave it up after no success.
>>

> Hi, Mr. (Dr.?) K.
> (I *still* keep thinking you're in Arizona even though I believe you
> informed me it's Ohio...I think.)
>
> When I was in in college--dirt had just been invented--we had a unicycle
> banging about on our floor. 72 people, 36 rooms, so we had a nice, *long*
> hallway.
>
> I got pretty good at the unicycle since we had handy walls and a long
> straightaway with which to play and learn.
>
> On a scale of 1 to 10, I think I got up to a 4 or five.
> But...since I always had a wall available I was never able to master getting
> on the dang thing without something to lean on somewhere. I think I had the
> ability to get to that point eventually, but did not really have the desire
> so just stayed at that level within the dorm.
>
> We had one guy there who had what I can only say is the sports/physical
> equivalent of "perfect pitch". Hand this guy the unicycle...he gets on sans
> walls etc. and off he goes. Wow.
>
> My Highwheel owning friend's son had a unicycle called a gazelle or
> somethign like that...it was four feet tall or something like that. Seat,
> bottom bracket chainring/chain down to the wheel w/ another chainring down
> there.
>
> It was something akin to getting the spacing all set up and then climbinb up
> the thing like a ladder in three steps, I think. Pretty amazing.
>
> Any high speed unicycles in your local ridership or around town?
>
> pH in Aptos

The term is 'giraffe unicycle'.

And yes in our tiny village (800 souls) there is a showoff
on one who zooms around the sidewalks at dawn with his dog.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Motor Unicycle

<206ca7f9-18f8-44b6-911a-ccd1c2ca8c25n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68832&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68832

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 08:32:02 -0800 (PST)
From: retroguy...@gmail.com (William Crowell)
 by: William Crowell - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 16:32 UTC

"The term is 'giraffe unicycle'."

As mentioned above, a giraffe cycle is somewhat easier to ride than a normal unicycle, assuming you can get onto it in the first place, but the problem arises when you fall off unexpectedly.

Imagine that you jumped out of a window that was 5 feet off the ground. Before you jumped, you would prepare yourself for it by keeping your legs springy in order to absorb the impact when you hit the ground. Well, with a giraffe cycle you don't always realize you're going to fall before you do, and it is therefore impossible to prepare for the impact. You hit the ground with your legs stiff because you weren't expecting to fall and it took you by surprise. That can really injure your spine.

Re: Motor Unicycle

<3f112c77-76de-4c0d-a498-965bc1cc5ed0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68847&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68847

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 11:10:17 -0800 (PST)
From: timothy4...@gmail.com (Tim R)
 by: Tim R - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 19:10 UTC

On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 6:59:26 PM UTC-5, pH wrote:
> When I was in in college--dirt had just been invented--we had a unicycle
> banging about on our floor. 72 people, 36 rooms, so we had a nice, *long*
> hallway.
>
> I got pretty good at the unicycle since we had handy walls and a long
> straightaway with which to play and learn.

A long time ago I found a book that had a progressive method of learning to ride a unicycle. It claimed this method would always work, and the usual approach of hanging onto something for balance almost never worked.

Alas, I don't remember the title or author. But the method required starting with the unicycle braced against a curb somehow such that one leg applied force without moving it, then you swung your other leg on. They were very detailed about always catching the seat when dismounting or falling to avoid damage to the seat.

Re: Motor Unicycle

<tm0cms$1nil7$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68848&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68848

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 14:10:20 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 19:10 UTC

On 11/27/2022 4:15 AM, William Crowell wrote:
> Speaking of those: Can anyone here ride a conventional unicycle? I once tried just a little, then gave it up after no success.
>
> Yep!

I'm impressed!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Motor Unicycle

<tm0fc5$1nil7$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68854&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68854

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 14:55:49 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 19:55 UTC

On 11/27/2022 2:10 PM, Tim R wrote:
> On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 6:59:26 PM UTC-5, pH wrote:
>> When I was in in college--dirt had just been invented--we had a unicycle
>> banging about on our floor. 72 people, 36 rooms, so we had a nice, *long*
>> hallway.
>>
>> I got pretty good at the unicycle since we had handy walls and a long
>> straightaway with which to play and learn.
>>

> A long time ago I found a book that had a progressive method of learning to ride a unicycle. It claimed this method would always work, and the usual approach of hanging onto something for balance almost never worked.
>
> Alas, I don't remember the title or author. But the method required starting with the unicycle braced against a curb somehow such that one leg applied force without moving it, then you swung your other leg on. They were very detailed about always catching the seat when dismounting or falling to avoid damage to the seat.

ISTR advice saying to start learning with a hiking pole or something
similar in each hand. But I never tried that method.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Motor Unicycle

<tm0t03$1palt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68879&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68879

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 23:48:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 23:48 UTC

On 2022-11-27, Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

<snip>>
> Maybe a Giraffe unicycle?
> https://www.unicycle.com/club-5-deluxe-giraffe-unicycle-black/

Yes! That looks like the animal.

> I think those might actually be easier, although I've never tried one.
> In a sense, it seems similar to an Ordinary or high-wheel antique bike.
> The Ordinary's tipping motion is much slower than a standard bike,
> making it far easier to balance, just like a yardstick is far easier to
> balance than a 12" ruler.

I found that to be very true when I rode the 54" highwheel--it has a very
large dipole moment, so to speak. It's as you say...how fast can you twist
a pencil back and forth (perpendicular plane to your radius/ulna) compared
to a yard/meter stick. (I'm assuming the yardstick is equally distributed
with respect to one's fist).

>> Any high speed unicycles in your local ridership or around town?
>
> I've never seen a classic unicycle being ridden on a road or bike path
> around here. I've seen only one or two of those One Wheel electric gizmos.

Yes, unicycles are pretty rare to see.

Mr. Muzi...do you have one on display in your shop or sell any lately?

pH in Aptos

ps: thank-you for the first name permission. My Germanic roots are showing.

Re: Motor Unicycle

<tm0t7n$1palt$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68880&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68880

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 23:52:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 23:52 UTC

On 2022-11-27, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
<snip>

> The term is 'giraffe unicycle'.
>
> And yes in our tiny village (800 souls) there is a showoff
> on one who zooms around the sidewalks at dawn with his dog.

Think how much *more* impressive it would be if were playing his bagpipes
(well) as well!

pH in Aptos

Re: Motor Unicycle

<bba0b1b7-d769-420a-92ca-f7f360af69f2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=68901&group=rec.bicycles.tech#68901

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 05:43:04 -0800 (PST)
From: retroguy...@gmail.com (William Crowell)
 by: William Crowell - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 13:43 UTC

On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 3:52:26 PM UTC-8, pH wrote:
> On 2022-11-27, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > The term is 'giraffe unicycle'.
> >
> > And yes in our tiny village (800 souls) there is a showoff
> > on one who zooms around the sidewalks at dawn with his dog.
> >
> Think how much *more* impressive it would be if were playing his bagpipes
> (well) as well!
>
> pH in Aptos
When I was young and living in Berkeley, I knew some guys who lived in a commune and aspired to be circus clowns. Their big thing was "pivoting" (going forward and backward repeatedly while staying in the same place) on their giraffe unicycles while juggling.

Re: Motor Unicycle

<ada37302-dd2e-4e2d-a7d6-1820757be653n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=69056&group=rec.bicycles.tech#69056

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 09:51:29 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 30 Nov 2022 17:51 UTC

On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 3:59:26 PM UTC-8, pH wrote:
> On 2022-11-26, Frank Krygowski <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> >> I'm surprised at how fast these things can go.
> >> From: https://eridehero.com/best-electric-unicycles/
> >>
> >> "How fast do electric unicycles go?
> >>
> >> The speed of an electric unicycle is tied to its motor power. The more powerful the motor, the faster the vehicle will go.
> >>
> >> The cheapest unicycles peak at around 10mph, but in our top picks, the slowest is still 18mph, which feels very fast. The higher-end units can go 40+ mph, but manufacturers recommend avoiding that speed for safety reasons. Before unleashing your unicycle’s full power, be aware of any laws about speed for personal electric vehicles."
> >>
> >> I also see that they do NOT have a centre pole and saddle.
> >
> > Speaking of those: Can anyone here ride a conventional unicycle? I once
> > tried just a little, then gave it up after no success.
> >
> Hi, Mr. (Dr.?) K.
> (I *still* keep thinking you're in Arizona even though I believe you
> informed me it's Ohio...I think.)
>
> When I was in in college--dirt had just been invented--we had a unicycle
> banging about on our floor. 72 people, 36 rooms, so we had a nice, *long*
> hallway.
>
> I got pretty good at the unicycle since we had handy walls and a long
> straightaway with which to play and learn.
>
> On a scale of 1 to 10, I think I got up to a 4 or five.
> But...since I always had a wall available I was never able to master getting
> on the dang thing without something to lean on somewhere. I think I had the
> ability to get to that point eventually, but did not really have the desire
> so just stayed at that level within the dorm.
>
> We had one guy there who had what I can only say is the sports/physical
> equivalent of "perfect pitch". Hand this guy the unicycle...he gets on sans
> walls etc. and off he goes. Wow.
>
> My Highwheel owning friend's son had a unicycle called a gazelle or
> somethign like that...it was four feet tall or something like that. Seat,
> bottom bracket chainring/chain down to the wheel w/ another chainring down
> there.
>
> It was something akin to getting the spacing all set up and then climbinb up
> the thing like a ladder in three steps, I think. Pretty amazing.
>
> Any high speed unicycles in your local ridership or around town?
>
> pH in Aptos
Frank lives in Poland, Ohio which is almost entirely white. He doesn't trust minorities.

Re: Motor Unicycle

<tmqdv9$jgah$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=69777&group=rec.bicycles.tech#69777

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2022 10:11:22 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 16:11 UTC

On 11/24/2022 6:57 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

> Wednesday, 25 November 2022
>
> Up until today, I didn't know there was such a thing as a one-wheel
> motorcycle.
>
> Perfect day for riding, so I went to check out the gym we just joined,
> explore the new Big Lots, and have a taco salad at Taco Bell. Taco
> Bell no longer sells taco salad; caught off guard, I forgot that I
> also like the pita taco they call "chalupa", and ordered the
> double-decker tostada they call "mexican pizza"; it was quite good
> with the sauerkraut I'd brought for the taco salad. It was made with
> flour tortillas fried into extra-thin piecrust instead of the crunchy
> corn tortillas I'd had on a previous occasion; this was much easier to
> cut into bites.
>
> On my way home, shortly after I'd abandoned the Heritage Trail at the
> first ramp to Park Avenue, I saw a guy riding a motor unicycle on the
> Trail, headed for a "walk your bike" zone strongly enforced by loose
> gravel, dug-up pavement, and the occasional road-building machine.
>
> How on Earth, says I to me, do you walk such a great heavy thing? I
> can walk Dave's unicycle, but it's easier to pick it up and carry it.
> I could see only one side of the wheel, and the setting sun was behind
> it, but I'm pretty sure that carrying it in one hand was not an
> option.
>
> But shortly before I reached the Boathouse, where the Trail dives into
> a parking lot and splits from the street, I saw him coming back.

Latest unicycle update:

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/recalls/2022/12/02/importer-recalls-electric-unicycles-because-batteries-can-ignite

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Motor Unicycle

<39698faf-7e01-4a9b-9e05-6b7750eccac9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=69796&group=rec.bicycles.tech#69796

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 09:56:25 -0800 (PST)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 17:56 UTC

On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 11:11:24 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
> On 11/24/2022 6:57 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
> >
> > Wednesday, 25 November 2022
> >
> > Up until today, I didn't know there was such a thing as a one-wheel
> > motorcycle.
> >
> > Perfect day for riding, so I went to check out the gym we just joined,
> > explore the new Big Lots, and have a taco salad at Taco Bell. Taco
> > Bell no longer sells taco salad; caught off guard, I forgot that I
> > also like the pita taco they call "chalupa", and ordered the
> > double-decker tostada they call "mexican pizza"; it was quite good
> > with the sauerkraut I'd brought for the taco salad. It was made with
> > flour tortillas fried into extra-thin piecrust instead of the crunchy
> > corn tortillas I'd had on a previous occasion; this was much easier to
> > cut into bites.
> >
> > On my way home, shortly after I'd abandoned the Heritage Trail at the
> > first ramp to Park Avenue, I saw a guy riding a motor unicycle on the
> > Trail, headed for a "walk your bike" zone strongly enforced by loose
> > gravel, dug-up pavement, and the occasional road-building machine.
> >
> > How on Earth, says I to me, do you walk such a great heavy thing? I
> > can walk Dave's unicycle, but it's easier to pick it up and carry it.
> > I could see only one side of the wheel, and the setting sun was behind
> > it, but I'm pretty sure that carrying it in one hand was not an
> > option.
> >
> > But shortly before I reached the Boathouse, where the Trail dives into
> > a parking lot and splits from the street, I saw him coming back.
> >
> Latest unicycle update:
>
> https://www.bicycleretailer.com/recalls/2022/12/02/importer-recalls-electric-unicycles-because-batteries-can-ignite
> --

More poorly-made Li ion batteries.