From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Non Rellable 1 lb propane tanks
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 00:07:25 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 05:07 UTC

Just wondering if any of you guys has attempted to repurpose a coleman
propane tank - the little 1 lb critters - and have cut one open? What
thickness is the sheet metal? I need to make a replacement car tank
for an old single cyl engine - Like to make it about 2 liters which
would be roughly 11 or 12 inches long with the 3.5 inch diameter tank.

Just cut the bottoms off 2 tanks, cut the gas fittings off the top,
tig them together and tig the holes shut and add a filler neck and
fuel outlrt boss.

Just want to know how solid the tank would be - how much abuse it
would take without getting dented.

Re: Non Rellable 1 lb propane tanks

<tr33i1$27bj3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6984&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6984

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Non Rellable 1 lb propane tanks
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 07:13:02 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 12:13 UTC

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message

Just wondering if any of you guys has attempted to repurpose a coleman
propane tank - the little 1 lb critters - and have cut one open? What
thickness is the sheet metal? I need to make a replacement car tank
for an old single cyl engine - Like to make it about 2 liters which
would be roughly 11 or 12 inches long with the 3.5 inch diameter tank.

Just cut the bottoms off 2 tanks, cut the gas fittings off the top,
tig them together and tig the holes shut and add a filler neck and
fuel outlrt boss.

Just want to know how solid the tank would be - how much abuse it
would take without getting dented.

------------------------

I read that medieval combat helmets made from barbecue propane cylinders
dent easily.

https://www.elgas.com.au/blog/1969-how-much-pressure-is-in-lpg-propane-cylinders-in-what-state/
"The typical propane tank would probably only burst with propane tank max
pressure rating over 6895 kPa or 1,000 PSIG."

Old fire extinguishers are larger.

Re: Non Rellable 1 lb propane tanks

<tr34tr$27j0l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6985&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6985

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 06:37:09 -0600
 by: Snag - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 12:37 UTC

On 1/27/2023 11:07 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
> Just wondering if any of you guys has attempted to repurpose a coleman
> propane tank - the little 1 lb critters - and have cut one open? What
> thickness is the sheet metal? I need to make a replacement car tank
> for an old single cyl engine - Like to make it about 2 liters which
> would be roughly 11 or 12 inches long with the 3.5 inch diameter tank.
>
> Just cut the bottoms off 2 tanks, cut the gas fittings off the top,
> tig them together and tig the holes shut and add a filler neck and
> fuel outlrt boss.
>
> Just want to know how solid the tank would be - how much abuse it
> would take without getting dented.

Look at the lap seam in the middle , that'll tell you how thick .
I've used the short fat ones for aluminum crucibles , IIRC they are
around 18-20ga give or take . They're actually thicker than the stock
most of those small tanks are made of .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Non Rellable 1 lb propane tanks

<tr3tv0$2bu17$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=6986&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#6986

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 12:44:32 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 19:44 UTC

On 1/27/2023 10:07 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
> Just wondering if any of you guys has attempted to repurpose a coleman
> propane tank - the little 1 lb critters - and have cut one open? What
> thickness is the sheet metal? I need to make a replacement car tank
> for an old single cyl engine - Like to make it about 2 liters which
> would be roughly 11 or 12 inches long with the 3.5 inch diameter tank.
>
> Just cut the bottoms off 2 tanks, cut the gas fittings off the top,
> tig them together and tig the holes shut and add a filler neck and
> fuel outlrt boss.
>
> Just want to know how solid the tank would be - how much abuse it
> would take without getting dented.

In any case they can't be any worse than the sheet metal tanks that come
on some power tools.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff