Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 10:31:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Yesterday's Ride
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 18:31 UTC

It was supposed to be sunny yesterday and it was clear and very cold when I left. While the 34 flat miles last Sunday almost killed me, I didn't seem to have any problems at all yesterday. I got to the cliff face that goes past a freeway entrance and past the Safeway on the hill. While this is very steep and you have to push really hard to stay out of the way of the traffic entering and exiting the freeway, I didn't seem to have any more than the expected trouble climbing something that steep.

On the return trip I took a small detour up a climb and then another back in the town so the total climbing was 2,400 feet and while my distance needed was 24 miles the trip was over 38.

So now I only need 360 feet to hit my climbing target and it is supposed to be clear next Tuesday so that I can do my normal 25 mile and 2400 feet of climbing ride. But we'll see.

The Garmin says that this year I've put in 137,000 feet but it counts any climbing as climbing. It is difficult around here to have a flat ride. Even on the ride along the Bay Trail, there is almost 400 feet of climbing and I don't count that even though it is pretty steep though short.

So, one way or another I have already hit both of my targets. And hopefully Tuesday will be clear.

From the top of Dublin Grade yesterday heading down into Dublin there was some pretty heavy fog and I was a bit worried about traffic approaching from the rear even though I had a Dayglow Yellow wind jacket on. Once down into the valley though it was clear at ground level. And my speed was such that approaching traffic and the fog kept their speed below mine and I could take the lane and clear the road hazards. Then proceeding down Foothill there must have been a traffic jam on the freeway and that made a traffic jam on Foothill. A lot of traffic passed me at high speed only to come to a compete stop where I passed them back. They did NOT let me over into the left turn lane where I wanted to go but at the light the left turning traffic from the cross street allowed me to turn left before they turned to block the intersection.

Do these modern cars have built in Google Maps that reroute them away from traffic jams? It is unusual for that particular area to have bumper to bumper traffic.

Something seems a little peculiar to me - there are more and more walkers and joggers. While I appreciate them facing on-coming traffic, don't you think that when there's a sidewalk there it would be preferable to use that?