There's a whole WORLD in a mud puddle! -- Doug Clifford

tech / sci.electronics.design / Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall

SubjectAuthor
* Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried dFred Bloggs
+* Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buriJan Panteltje
|+- Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buriFred Bloggs
|`- Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuelRick C
+* Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buriJohn Walliker
|+* Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuelLasse Langwadt Christensen
||`- Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuelFred Bloggs
|`- Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuelFred Bloggs
`* Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses burijlarkin
 `* Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuelFred Bloggs
  `* Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buriJohn Larkin
   `* Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuelJohn Walliker
    `- Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuelRick C

1
Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall

<02a82094-2c8d-484d-b624-c9fa82af4031n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=69985&group=sci.electronics.design#69985

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 05:09:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 12:09 UTC

The specter of self-sustaining fission, or criticality, in the nuclear ruins has long haunted Chernobyl. When part of the Unit Four reactor’s core melted down on 26 April 1986, uranium fuel rods, their zirconium cladding, graphite control rods, and sand dumped on the core to try to extinguish the fire melted together into a lava. It flowed into the reactor hall’s basement rooms and hardened into formations called fuel-containing materials (FCMs), which are laden with about 170 tons of irradiated uranium—95% of the original fuel.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/05/nuclear-reactions-reawaken-chernobyl-reactor

Funny interview with Gorbachev recounts how in the hours after the disaster he couldn't get a straight answer from Chernobyl of the exact nature of the accident. He finally got his answer when Sweden called to complain about a horrendously radioactive cloud originating within northern Ukraine passing over their airspace.
Hundreds of thousands of Soviet military were exposed to lethal doses of radiation in the attempt to contain the radiation. For example 600 helicopter pilots who were dumping sand and lead on the smoldering fuel pile all died quite rapidly.

Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall

<segrg6$1m4t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=69999&group=sci.electronics.design#69999

From: pNaOnStP...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 14:04:48 GMT
 by: Jan Panteltje - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 14:04 UTC

On a sunny day (Thu, 5 Aug 2021 05:09:36 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote in
<02a82094-2c8d-484d-b624-c9fa82af4031n@googlegroups.com>:

>The specter of self-sustaining fission, or criticality, in the nuclear ruins
>has long haunted Chernobyl. When part of the Unit Four reactor=E2=80=99s core
>melted down on 26 April 1986, uranium fuel rods, their zirconium cladding,
>graphite control rods, and sand dumped on the core to try to extinguish
>the fire melted together into a lava. It flowed into the reactor hall=E2=80=99s
>basement rooms and hardened into formations called fuel-containing materials
>(FCMs), which are laden with about 170 tons of irradiated uranium=E2=80=9495%
>of the original fuel.
>
>https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/05/nuclear-reactions-reawaken-chernobyl-reactor

Maybe the fear of nuclear that for example caused the Germans to dismantle their nuclear power plants
after Fuckupshima happened, is as universal as the fear for covid so fear of death.

When I moved to this house my radiation meter (running 24/7) detected a rise:
http://panteltje.com/pub/background_radiation_from_one_place_to_the_other.gif
seems to be from radon in basement.

For the rest wildlife is flourishing in Chernobyl, mostly perhaps because no humans are there to kill it.

We want to build an other nuclear power plant here but that area of the country (Groningen) resists strongly,

It is not all that bad, maybe it kills some covid viruses (work for somebody to measure).
The greens and their fear of everything must be controlled or we lose the ability to really save us
when nature changes,

Like Vietnam:
https://www.stlyrics.com/songs/c/countryjoeandthefish6021/vietnamsong374192.html

Sort of expect Biden to start a war so all can be drafted to fight (for what will it be this time Taiwan?)
and after all got nuked rebuild the infrastructure

So who cares, maybe exposing to radiation will make you stronger..
'If it does not kill you it makes you stronger' sort of thing (do not know who came up with that line).
Anyways I had enough nuculear now to lose the fear for it.

Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall

<1f1464d4-35a7-4c46-9ec0-eed1ab90a3adn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70002&group=sci.electronics.design#70002

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 07:22:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: jrwalli...@gmail.com (John Walliker)
 by: John Walliker - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 14:22 UTC

On Thursday, 5 August 2021 at 13:09:40 UTC+1, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> The specter of self-sustaining fission, or criticality, in the nuclear ruins has long haunted Chernobyl. When part of the Unit Four reactor’s core melted down on 26 April 1986, uranium fuel rods, their zirconium cladding, graphite control rods, and sand dumped on the core to try to extinguish the fire melted together into a lava. It flowed into the reactor hall’s basement rooms and hardened into formations called fuel-containing materials (FCMs), which are laden with about 170 tons of irradiated uranium—95% of the original fuel.
>
> https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/05/nuclear-reactions-reawaken-chernobyl-reactor
>
> Funny interview with Gorbachev recounts how in the hours after the disaster he couldn't get a straight answer from Chernobyl of the exact nature of the accident. He finally got his answer when Sweden called to complain about a horrendously radioactive cloud originating within northern Ukraine passing over their airspace.
> Hundreds of thousands of Soviet military were exposed to lethal doses of radiation in the attempt to contain the radiation. For example 600 helicopter pilots who were dumping sand and lead on the smoldering fuel pile all died quite rapidly.

Do you have a source for the claim that 600 helicopter pilots died rapidly? It seems rather a lot.

John

Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall

<25unggp9i7qrpp3om6noc78u2pp9n7n6q7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70012&group=sci.electronics.design#70012

From: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 07:42:26 -0700
 by: jlar...@highlandsniptechnology.com - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 14:42 UTC

On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 05:09:36 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>The specter of self-sustaining fission, or criticality, in the nuclear ruins has long haunted Chernobyl. When part of the Unit Four reactor’s core melted down on 26 April 1986, uranium fuel rods, their zirconium cladding, graphite control rods, and sand dumped on the core to try to extinguish the fire melted together into a lava. It flowed into the reactor hall’s basement rooms and hardened into formations called fuel-containing materials (FCMs), which are laden with about 170 tons of irradiated uranium—95% of the original fuel.
>
>https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/05/nuclear-reactions-reawaken-chernobyl-reactor

That could be a crisis for the Chernobyl tourism industry.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall

<37c75370-1853-47f1-80f4-e69795eec8een@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70022&group=sci.electronics.design#70022

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 08:05:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel
masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 15:05 UTC

torsdag den 5. august 2021 kl. 16.22.33 UTC+2 skrev John Walliker:
> On Thursday, 5 August 2021 at 13:09:40 UTC+1, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > The specter of self-sustaining fission, or criticality, in the nuclear ruins has long haunted Chernobyl. When part of the Unit Four reactor’s core melted down on 26 April 1986, uranium fuel rods, their zirconium cladding, graphite control rods, and sand dumped on the core to try to extinguish the fire melted together into a lava. It flowed into the reactor hall’s basement rooms and hardened into formations called fuel-containing materials (FCMs), which are laden with about 170 tons of irradiated uranium—95% of the original fuel.
> >
> > https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/05/nuclear-reactions-reawaken-chernobyl-reactor
> >
> > Funny interview with Gorbachev recounts how in the hours after the disaster he couldn't get a straight answer from Chernobyl of the exact nature of the accident. He finally got his answer when Sweden called to complain about a horrendously radioactive cloud originating within northern Ukraine passing over their airspace.
> > Hundreds of thousands of Soviet military were exposed to lethal doses of radiation in the attempt to contain the radiation. For example 600 helicopter pilots who were dumping sand and lead on the smoldering fuel pile all died quite rapidly.
> Do you have a source for the claim that 600 helicopter pilots died rapidly? It seems rather a lot.

sounds like nonsense, 4 people died in helicopter crash after hitting a crane, several pilots have been interviewed many years after the accident and lived to old age
The official UN figure for short term deads (within months) from the accident is ~60
undoubtedly many more died as a result of the accident, but not until well after

Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall

<352af0ee-02d2-44ea-8197-c7a9a55bcfcdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70034&group=sci.electronics.design#70034

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 08:40:34 -0700 (PDT)
masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 15:40 UTC

On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 10:22:33 AM UTC-4, John Walliker wrote:
> On Thursday, 5 August 2021 at 13:09:40 UTC+1, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > The specter of self-sustaining fission, or criticality, in the nuclear ruins has long haunted Chernobyl. When part of the Unit Four reactor’s core melted down on 26 April 1986, uranium fuel rods, their zirconium cladding, graphite control rods, and sand dumped on the core to try to extinguish the fire melted together into a lava. It flowed into the reactor hall’s basement rooms and hardened into formations called fuel-containing materials (FCMs), which are laden with about 170 tons of irradiated uranium—95% of the original fuel.
> >
> > https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/05/nuclear-reactions-reawaken-chernobyl-reactor
> >
> > Funny interview with Gorbachev recounts how in the hours after the disaster he couldn't get a straight answer from Chernobyl of the exact nature of the accident. He finally got his answer when Sweden called to complain about a horrendously radioactive cloud originating within northern Ukraine passing over their airspace.
> > Hundreds of thousands of Soviet military were exposed to lethal doses of radiation in the attempt to contain the radiation. For example 600 helicopter pilots who were dumping sand and lead on the smoldering fuel pile all died quite rapidly.
> Do you have a source for the claim that 600 helicopter pilots died rapidly? It seems rather a lot.

This is typical:
https://www.rotorandwing.com/2016/04/26/chernobyl-anniversary-recalls-helo-pilots-bravery/
All the casualties were sent to Moscow Hospital Unit 6, which had specialized capability to treat radiation injury. Interviews with the doctors said they knew these people were dead the minute they came in the door, it was just a matter of waiting the days or weeks it took for them to die. The unit was completely overwhelmed, there was nothing they could do for any of the victims.

The earliest responders were a military firefighting unit. They had no idea of the danger. Many of them died nearly instantly at the site from just the immediate burn trauma. They also sacrificed a bunch of firemen used to drain a water flooded chamber just below the concrete floor of the reactor. The radiation levels were enough to kill in minutes.

> John

Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall

<302dffdb-f558-4a1b-bd2d-28295cad7d75n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70035&group=sci.electronics.design#70035

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 08:42:12 -0700 (PDT)
masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 15:42 UTC

On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 11:05:21 AM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk wrote:
> torsdag den 5. august 2021 kl. 16.22.33 UTC+2 skrev John Walliker:
> > On Thursday, 5 August 2021 at 13:09:40 UTC+1, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > > The specter of self-sustaining fission, or criticality, in the nuclear ruins has long haunted Chernobyl. When part of the Unit Four reactor’s core melted down on 26 April 1986, uranium fuel rods, their zirconium cladding, graphite control rods, and sand dumped on the core to try to extinguish the fire melted together into a lava. It flowed into the reactor hall’s basement rooms and hardened into formations called fuel-containing materials (FCMs), which are laden with about 170 tons of irradiated uranium—95% of the original fuel.
> > >
> > > https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/05/nuclear-reactions-reawaken-chernobyl-reactor
> > >
> > > Funny interview with Gorbachev recounts how in the hours after the disaster he couldn't get a straight answer from Chernobyl of the exact nature of the accident. He finally got his answer when Sweden called to complain about a horrendously radioactive cloud originating within northern Ukraine passing over their airspace.
> > > Hundreds of thousands of Soviet military were exposed to lethal doses of radiation in the attempt to contain the radiation. For example 600 helicopter pilots who were dumping sand and lead on the smoldering fuel pile all died quite rapidly.
> > Do you have a source for the claim that 600 helicopter pilots died rapidly? It seems rather a lot.
> >
> sounds like nonsense, 4 people died in helicopter crash after hitting a crane, several pilots have been interviewed many years after the accident and lived to old age
> The official UN figure for short term deads (within months) from the accident is ~60
> undoubtedly many more died as a result of the accident, but not until well after

Nah- they lost several hundred thousand military and emergency personnel from radiation injury. It took most of them a few years to develop their cancers and die.

Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall

<8c35458a-9f7b-447c-a462-979d8954e919n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70036&group=sci.electronics.design#70036

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 08:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 15:50 UTC

On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 10:42:50 AM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 05:09:36 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >The specter of self-sustaining fission, or criticality, in the nuclear ruins has long haunted Chernobyl. When part of the Unit Four reactor’s core melted down on 26 April 1986, uranium fuel rods, their zirconium cladding, graphite control rods, and sand dumped on the core to try to extinguish the fire melted together into a lava. It flowed into the reactor hall’s basement rooms and hardened into formations called fuel-containing materials (FCMs), which are laden with about 170 tons of irradiated uranium—95% of the original fuel.
> >
> >https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/05/nuclear-reactions-reawaken-chernobyl-reactor
> >
> That could be a crisis for the Chernobyl tourism industry.

Originally everyone thought the place would become a barren wasteland of poisoned landscape. But to everyone's surprise it turned into a verdant wildlife refuge. The place looks a million times better than when it was that artificial Soviet city Pripyat dump. Now that was barren. A bunch of dull streets lined by those Commie Block public housing nightmare, shitty little playgrounds they called parks, badly done statues of Lenin, and the ridiculous hovel they called a cultural center- it was a living hell on Earth.

> --
>
> John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
>
> The best designs are necessarily accidental.

Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall

<5d2314ee-a6c7-4c1f-9c5e-97e1ff1c71c4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70038&group=sci.electronics.design#70038

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 09:17:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 16:17 UTC

On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 10:10:26 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Thu, 5 Aug 2021 05:09:36 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote in
> <02a82094-2c8d-484d...@googlegroups.com>:
> >The specter of self-sustaining fission, or criticality, in the nuclear ruins
> >has long haunted Chernobyl. When part of the Unit Four reactor=E2=80=99s core
> >melted down on 26 April 1986, uranium fuel rods, their zirconium cladding,
> >graphite control rods, and sand dumped on the core to try to extinguish
> >the fire melted together into a lava. It flowed into the reactor hall=E2=80=99s
> >basement rooms and hardened into formations called fuel-containing materials
> >(FCMs), which are laden with about 170 tons of irradiated uranium=E2=80=9495%
> >of the original fuel.
> >
> >https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/05/nuclear-reactions-reawaken-chernobyl-reactor
> Maybe the fear of nuclear that for example caused the Germans to dismantle their nuclear power plants
> after Fuckupshima happened, is as universal as the fear for covid so fear of death.
>
> When I moved to this house my radiation meter (running 24/7) detected a rise:
> http://panteltje.com/pub/background_radiation_from_one_place_to_the_other.gif
> seems to be from radon in basement.
>
> For the rest wildlife is flourishing in Chernobyl, mostly perhaps because no humans are there to kill it.
>
> We want to build an other nuclear power plant here but that area of the country (Groningen) resists strongly,
>
> It is not all that bad, maybe it kills some covid viruses (work for somebody to measure).
> The greens and their fear of everything must be controlled or we lose the ability to really save us
> when nature changes,
>
> Like Vietnam:
> https://www.stlyrics.com/songs/c/countryjoeandthefish6021/vietnamsong374192.html
>
> Sort of expect Biden to start a war so all can be drafted to fight (for what will it be this time Taiwan?)
> and after all got nuked rebuild the infrastructure
>
> So who cares, maybe exposing to radiation will make you stronger..
> 'If it does not kill you it makes you stronger' sort of thing (do not know who came up with that line).
> Anyways I had enough nuculear now to lose the fear for it.

There are so many natural sources of radiation, a little exposure from power plant isn't even noticeable.

Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall

<v6cogg9asvjgsj9r5008paktlndk3aanmq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70050&group=sci.electronics.design#70050

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 11:43:52 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 18:43 UTC

On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 08:50:02 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 10:42:50 AM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 05:09:36 -0700 (PDT), Fred Bloggs
>> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >The specter of self-sustaining fission, or criticality, in the nuclear ruins has long haunted Chernobyl. When part of the Unit Four reactor’s core melted down on 26 April 1986, uranium fuel rods, their zirconium cladding, graphite control rods, and sand dumped on the core to try to extinguish the fire melted together into a lava. It flowed into the reactor hall’s basement rooms and hardened into formations called fuel-containing materials (FCMs), which are laden with about 170 tons of irradiated uranium—95% of the original fuel.
>> >
>> >https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/05/nuclear-reactions-reawaken-chernobyl-reactor
>> >
>> That could be a crisis for the Chernobyl tourism industry.
>
>Originally everyone thought the place would become a barren wasteland of poisoned landscape. But to everyone's surprise it turned into a verdant wildlife refuge. The place looks a million times better than when it was that artificial Soviet city Pripyat dump. Now that was barren. A bunch of dull streets lined by those Commie Block public housing nightmare, shitty little playgrounds they called parks, badly done statues of Lenin, and the ridiculous hovel they called a cultural center- it was a living hell on Earth.

Turns out there are fungi that can live on gamma rays! Nature doesn't
let any energy source to go to waste.

Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall

<6d19e802-c49d-4f11-87c0-af471c0bc628n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70057&group=sci.electronics.design#70057

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 13:10:29 -0700 (PDT)
masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall
From: jrwalli...@gmail.com (John Walliker)
 by: John Walliker - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 20:10 UTC

On Thursday, 5 August 2021 at 19:44:03 UTC+1, John Larkin wrote:

> Turns out there are fungi that can live on gamma rays! Nature doesn't
> let any energy source to go to waste.

There are bacteria that live on electrons.

John

Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall

<60d3297e-ad6d-4657-ba5d-bdd2a90db847n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70101&group=sci.electronics.design#70101

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 04:28:44 -0700 (PDT)
masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 11:28 UTC

On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 10:10:26 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Thu, 5 Aug 2021 05:09:36 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Fred Bloggs
> <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote in
> <02a82094-2c8d-484d...@googlegroups.com>:
> >The specter of self-sustaining fission, or criticality, in the nuclear ruins
> >has long haunted Chernobyl. When part of the Unit Four reactor=E2=80=99s core
> >melted down on 26 April 1986, uranium fuel rods, their zirconium cladding,
> >graphite control rods, and sand dumped on the core to try to extinguish
> >the fire melted together into a lava. It flowed into the reactor hall=E2=80=99s
> >basement rooms and hardened into formations called fuel-containing materials
> >(FCMs), which are laden with about 170 tons of irradiated uranium=E2=80=9495%
> >of the original fuel.
> >
> >https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/05/nuclear-reactions-reawaken-chernobyl-reactor
> Maybe the fear of nuclear that for example caused the Germans to dismantle their nuclear power plants
> after Fuckupshima happened, is as universal as the fear for covid so fear of death.
>
> When I moved to this house my radiation meter (running 24/7) detected a rise:
> http://panteltje.com/pub/background_radiation_from_one_place_to_the_other.gif
> seems to be from radon in basement.
>
> For the rest wildlife is flourishing in Chernobyl, mostly perhaps because no humans are there to kill it.
>
> We want to build an other nuclear power plant here but that area of the country (Groningen) resists strongly,
>
> It is not all that bad, maybe it kills some covid viruses (work for somebody to measure).
> The greens and their fear of everything must be controlled or we lose the ability to really save us
> when nature changes,
>
> Like Vietnam:
> https://www.stlyrics.com/songs/c/countryjoeandthefish6021/vietnamsong374192.html
>
> Sort of expect Biden to start a war so all can be drafted to fight (for what will it be this time Taiwan?)
> and after all got nuked rebuild the infrastructure
>
> So who cares, maybe exposing to radiation will make you stronger..
> 'If it does not kill you it makes you stronger' sort of thing (do not know who came up with that line).
> Anyways I had enough nuculear now to lose the fear for it.

I think they know the answer to that one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki

If you lose your fear of too many things, sooner or later one will kill you.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Re: Chernobyl fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall

<cf206435-13a0-4728-bdbd-6e7b90034be0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70102&group=sci.electronics.design#70102

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 04:32:50 -0700 (PDT)
masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Rick C)
 by: Rick C - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 11:32 UTC

On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 4:10:32 PM UTC-4, John Walliker wrote:
> On Thursday, 5 August 2021 at 19:44:03 UTC+1, John Larkin wrote:
>
> > Turns out there are fungi that can live on gamma rays! Nature doesn't
> > let any energy source to go to waste.
> There are bacteria that live on electrons.

The US showed there are any number of parasites that live on elections!