To understand a program you must become both the machine and the program.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: SpDs in the winter

SubjectAuthor
* SpDs in the winterTom Kunich
+* Re: SpDs in the winterRoger Merriman
|+* Re: SpDs in the winterTom Kunich
||`- Re: SpDs in the winterLou Holtman
|`* Re: SpDs in the winterWolfgang Strobl
| `- Re: SpDs in the winterTom Kunich
`* Re: SpDs in the winterLou Holtman
 `- Re: SpDs in the winterTom Kunich

1
SpDs in the winter

<b32ee83b-9ec3-4ece-8ff0-8c0472051165n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=69909&group=rec.bicycles.tech#69909

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 11:04:27 -0800 (PST)
Subject: SpDs in the winter
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:04 UTC

As you know, typical road shoes such as my Sidi's have vents in them and in this cold weather my feet get cold enough so that I have to take a much longer hot shower than I like because as old as I am my skin itches from a lot of hot water washing off the body oils.,

What I am thinking of it fitting it with MTB SpD's and wearing waterproof shoe coverings.

Has anyone had any experience with this and do they work OK in that manner? Or should I simply retain my Keo pedals and ride with the waterproof covers? As I recall, the shoe covers kept getting stuck in the Look pedals while you can step right down into the SpD's .

Re: SpDs in the winter

<tmtd8m$u2ub$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=69910&group=rec.bicycles.tech#69910

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: SpDs in the winter
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:17:42 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:nsOYE1T9Uk/yraJpXUa0l+g91fk=
 by: Roger Merriman - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:17 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
> As you know, typical road shoes such as my Sidi's have vents in them and
> in this cold weather my feet get cold enough so that I have to take a
> much longer hot shower than I like because as old as I am my skin itches
> from a lot of hot water washing off the body oils.,
>
> What I am thinking of it fitting it with MTB SpD's and wearing waterproof shoe coverings.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this and do they work OK in that
> manner? Or should I simply retain my Keo pedals and ride with the
> waterproof covers? As I recall, the shoe covers kept getting stuck in the
> Look pedals while you can step right down into the SpD's .

Road race shoes are well intended to reduce heat hence the vents, you can
mitigate with overshoes, but realistically vented shoes are always going to
be challenging once the temperature drop.

Winter boots will do it though are expensive. Or least for amount of use
most folks use them anyway.

Personally I use MTB flats which aren’t anywhere as ventilated as road
shoes and mine are 5:10 impacts so little ventilation at all, add in some
warm hiking socks and it’s toasty!

Roger Merriman

Re: SpDs in the winter

<c40e909e-798f-4dbb-89bf-0f360e67c92an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=69914&group=rec.bicycles.tech#69914

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 11:32:38 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:32 UTC

On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 11:17:45 AM UTC-8, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > As you know, typical road shoes such as my Sidi's have vents in them and
> > in this cold weather my feet get cold enough so that I have to take a
> > much longer hot shower than I like because as old as I am my skin itches
> > from a lot of hot water washing off the body oils.,
> >
> > What I am thinking of it fitting it with MTB SpD's and wearing waterproof shoe coverings.
> >
> > Has anyone had any experience with this and do they work OK in that
> > manner? Or should I simply retain my Keo pedals and ride with the
> > waterproof covers? As I recall, the shoe covers kept getting stuck in the
> > Look pedals while you can step right down into the SpD's .
> >
> Road race shoes are well intended to reduce heat hence the vents, you can
> mitigate with overshoes, but realistically vented shoes are always going to
> be challenging once the temperature drop.
>
> Winter boots will do it though are expensive. Or least for amount of use
> most folks use them anyway.
>
> Personally I use MTB flats which aren’t anywhere as ventilated as road
> shoes and mine are 5:10 impacts so little ventilation at all, add in some
> warm hiking socks and it’s toasty!
>
> Roger Merriman
Besides being expensive, winter boots are waterproof and hold the heat in to the point where you have to clean them out several times a season to keep from getting fungus infections. The shoe covers are mostly just windproof which is enough with off-road shoes.

Re: SpDs in the winter

<2ff3a40a-a3cd-4a5e-8828-fb4f7da0b164n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=69917&group=rec.bicycles.tech#69917

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 11:55:49 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:55 UTC

On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 8:04:29 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
> As you know, typical road shoes such as my Sidi's have vents in them and in this cold weather my feet get cold enough so that I have to take a much longer hot shower than I like because as old as I am my skin itches from a lot of hot water washing off the body oils.,
>
> What I am thinking of it fitting it with MTB SpD's and wearing waterproof shoe coverings.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this and do they work OK in that manner? Or should I simply retain my Keo pedals and ride with the waterproof covers? As I recall, the shoe covers kept getting stuck in the Look pedals while you can step right down into the SpD's .

Winter shoes are the best purchase I have done for winter riding (Spd or Look/Shimano). Order one size larger to give your toes wiggle room. Maybe not as efficient but warm feet is what counts. Not cheap but worth every euro. It should not be a problem with your investments doing so well, as you told us.

Lou

Re: SpDs in the winter

<dd5a8b8b-ae21-49aa-934d-d44c6a3830b9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=69918&group=rec.bicycles.tech#69918

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 11:58:21 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:58 UTC

On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 8:32:40 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 11:17:45 AM UTC-8, Roger Merriman wrote:
> > Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > As you know, typical road shoes such as my Sidi's have vents in them and
> > > in this cold weather my feet get cold enough so that I have to take a
> > > much longer hot shower than I like because as old as I am my skin itches
> > > from a lot of hot water washing off the body oils.,
> > >
> > > What I am thinking of it fitting it with MTB SpD's and wearing waterproof shoe coverings.
> > >
> > > Has anyone had any experience with this and do they work OK in that
> > > manner? Or should I simply retain my Keo pedals and ride with the
> > > waterproof covers? As I recall, the shoe covers kept getting stuck in the
> > > Look pedals while you can step right down into the SpD's .
> > >
> > Road race shoes are well intended to reduce heat hence the vents, you can
> > mitigate with overshoes, but realistically vented shoes are always going to
> > be challenging once the temperature drop.
> >
> > Winter boots will do it though are expensive. Or least for amount of use
> > most folks use them anyway.
> >
> > Personally I use MTB flats which aren’t anywhere as ventilated as road
> > shoes and mine are 5:10 impacts so little ventilation at all, add in some
> > warm hiking socks and it’s toasty!
> >
> > Roger Merriman
> Besides being expensive, winter boots are waterproof and hold the heat in to the point where you have to clean them out several times a season to keep from getting fungus infections. The shoe covers are mostly just windproof which is enough with off-road shoes.

Here is where GoreTex shines. Shoe covers are a pia.

Lou

Re: SpDs in the winter

<e067a8e4-68b5-4a58-954d-3921a54684b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=69921&group=rec.bicycles.tech#69921

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 12:51:02 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 20:51 UTC

On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 11:55:52 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 8:04:29 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > As you know, typical road shoes such as my Sidi's have vents in them and in this cold weather my feet get cold enough so that I have to take a much longer hot shower than I like because as old as I am my skin itches from a lot of hot water washing off the body oils.,
> >
> > What I am thinking of it fitting it with MTB SpD's and wearing waterproof shoe coverings.
> >
> > Has anyone had any experience with this and do they work OK in that manner? Or should I simply retain my Keo pedals and ride with the waterproof covers? As I recall, the shoe covers kept getting stuck in the Look pedals while you can step right down into the SpD's .
> Winter shoes are the best purchase I have done for winter riding (Spd or Look/Shimano). Order one size larger to give your toes wiggle room. Maybe not as efficient but warm feet is what counts. Not cheap but worth every euro. It should not be a problem with your investments doing so well, as you told us.
>
> Lou
I have some Pearl Izumi CX shoes but I ordered some shoe covers to keep the wind off.

Re: SpDs in the winter

<ch26phl4bce53mkjv1n6nmae79lea06hl0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=69956&group=rec.bicycles.tech#69956

From: new...@mystrobl.de (Wolfgang Strobl)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 11:28:17 +0100
 by: Wolfgang Strobl - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 10:28 UTC

Am Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:17:42 -0000 (UTC) schrieb Roger Merriman
<roger@sarlet.com>:

>Road race shoes are well intended to reduce heat hence the vents, you can
>mitigate with overshoes, but realistically vented shoes are always going to
>be challenging once the temperature drop.

>Winter boots will do it though are expensive. Or least for amount of use
>most folks use them anyway.

Right. But for a family with two kids in school, both working but
without a car, a pair of Gaerne Polar didn't feel that expensive, for
getting me to work all year, safely. I bought these in Winter 1998, the
photo was taken January, 2007. I still have that pair.

<https://www.mystrobl.de/Plone/radfahren/technik/komponenten/winterausruestung/IMG_1272.jpeg>

A pair similar to these (Gaerne G.ICE-STORM All Terrain) is currently
sold for around € 200 here in Germany.

I should mention that I only use SPD pedals on road bikes as well.

--
Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen

Re: SpDs in the winter

<e149fcfe-5360-43ee-b694-356c073ac703n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70001&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70001

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 10:54:24 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 18:54 UTC

I tried using those here but they are too extreme for our conditions and https://www.ebay.com/itm/174511425796?var=473710103231 are plenty good enough and only $19.