From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Fiddling with the bike
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 04:55:10 -0500
 by: Catrike Rider - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 09:55 UTC

Riding is only one thing I enjoy doing with my bicycles. Working on
them is the other thing. My wife and I call it "bike fiddle time,"
since I'll sometimes say, "I'm going to go out and fiddle around with
the bike." There's many things to do besides cleaning and waxing. The
spokes checked and tightened, the shifting and brakes checked and
adjusted and cables lubed, the front wheel alignment checked, and the
chain always needs tending to.

A neighbor came over yesterday as I was sitting on the Catrike in my
driveway. "Using it for a lounge chair?" he asked. Actually, I
explained, I was truing up my handlebars with a tape measure. Both of
my handlebars consist of four tubes, each of which has to match the
angle of it's mirror image twin on the other headset. I'd decided that
I wanted to move the Garmin computer to the left side and the mp3
player to the right, and to use different attachment tubes for both of
them.

Each of the handlebars has two additional short tubes attached, one
for the devices above, and another for the shift levers. All of that
required disassembling most of the handlebar structures and putting
them back together. I'm an obsessive perfectionist when it comes to my
bike setup, my seating, BB, shifting, chain, brakes, handlebars,
shoes, etc. I carry allen wrenches that I can access without having to
get up off the bike so I can "adjust" when I'm out riding.

Perfection is impossible to obtain, but seeking perfection is what
makes the world go around.

Re: Fiddling with the bike

<7c639fec-bf1e-4cb2-aaec-58f27eec54f1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70125&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70125

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 10:59:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Fiddling with the bike
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 18:59 UTC

On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 1:55:10 AM UTC-8, Catrike Rider wrote:
> Riding is only one thing I enjoy doing with my bicycles. Working on
> them is the other thing. My wife and I call it "bike fiddle time,"
> since I'll sometimes say, "I'm going to go out and fiddle around with
> the bike." There's many things to do besides cleaning and waxing. The
> spokes checked and tightened, the shifting and brakes checked and
> adjusted and cables lubed, the front wheel alignment checked, and the
> chain always needs tending to.
>
> A neighbor came over yesterday as I was sitting on the Catrike in my
> driveway. "Using it for a lounge chair?" he asked. Actually, I
> explained, I was truing up my handlebars with a tape measure. Both of
> my handlebars consist of four tubes, each of which has to match the
> angle of it's mirror image twin on the other headset. I'd decided that
> I wanted to move the Garmin computer to the left side and the mp3
> player to the right, and to use different attachment tubes for both of
> them.
>
> Each of the handlebars has two additional short tubes attached, one
> for the devices above, and another for the shift levers. All of that
> required disassembling most of the handlebar structures and putting
> them back together. I'm an obsessive perfectionist when it comes to my
> bike setup, my seating, BB, shifting, chain, brakes, handlebars,
> shoes, etc. I carry allen wrenches that I can access without having to
> get up off the bike so I can "adjust" when I'm out riding.
>
> Perfection is impossible to obtain, but seeking perfection is what
> makes the world go around.
I think you're going to drive Frank right up the wall. If you need something fixed you take it to a shop and you buy one bicycle when you're 20 years old and keep it until the day you die. So shall it be written, so shall it be done. Otherwise you're churning to find a bicycle to improve your performance. I guess my performance doesn't stand up to Krygowski's expectations. He has accomplished so much more. Even my 8 year old step daughter was a better rider than Frank ever was in his entire life. She rode coast to coast two and a half times and finished third in the Jr. Olympics in her age group. Frank uses flat pedals and thinks that only a show off uses clipless pedals.,

Re: Fiddling with the bike

<5jq9phpqgtjh3fs5eg3hvlplvf9mgjp71q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70131&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70131

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 15:28:46 -0500
 by: Catrike Rider - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 20:28 UTC

On Sat, 10 Dec 2022 10:59:29 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 1:55:10 AM UTC-8, Catrike Rider wrote:
>> Riding is only one thing I enjoy doing with my bicycles. Working on
>> them is the other thing. My wife and I call it "bike fiddle time,"
>> since I'll sometimes say, "I'm going to go out and fiddle around with
>> the bike." There's many things to do besides cleaning and waxing. The
>> spokes checked and tightened, the shifting and brakes checked and
>> adjusted and cables lubed, the front wheel alignment checked, and the
>> chain always needs tending to.
>>
>> A neighbor came over yesterday as I was sitting on the Catrike in my
>> driveway. "Using it for a lounge chair?" he asked. Actually, I
>> explained, I was truing up my handlebars with a tape measure. Both of
>> my handlebars consist of four tubes, each of which has to match the
>> angle of it's mirror image twin on the other headset. I'd decided that
>> I wanted to move the Garmin computer to the left side and the mp3
>> player to the right, and to use different attachment tubes for both of
>> them.
>>
>> Each of the handlebars has two additional short tubes attached, one
>> for the devices above, and another for the shift levers. All of that
>> required disassembling most of the handlebar structures and putting
>> them back together. I'm an obsessive perfectionist when it comes to my
>> bike setup, my seating, BB, shifting, chain, brakes, handlebars,
>> shoes, etc. I carry allen wrenches that I can access without having to
>> get up off the bike so I can "adjust" when I'm out riding.
>>
>> Perfection is impossible to obtain, but seeking perfection is what
>> makes the world go around.
>I think you're going to drive Frank right up the wall. If you need something fixed you take it to a shop and you buy one bicycle when you're 20 years old and keep it until the day you die. So shall it be written, so shall it be done. Otherwise you're churning to find a bicycle to improve your performance. I guess my performance doesn't stand up to Krygowski's expectations. He has accomplished so much more. Even my 8 year old step daughter was a better rider than Frank ever was in his entire life. She rode coast to coast two and a half times and finished third in the Jr. Olympics in her age group. Frank uses flat pedals and thinks that only a show off uses clipless pedals.,

My Catrike hasn't seen the inside of a bike shop since the day I
bought it in 2009, about 36,000 miles ago...

Re: Fiddling with the bike

<bf93ced6-0943-4002-8c3d-7981495eb3b3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70133&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70133

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 12:34:50 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 20:34 UTC

On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 12:28:43 PM UTC-8, Catrike Rider wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Dec 2022 10:59:29 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
> <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 1:55:10 AM UTC-8, Catrike Rider wrote:
> >> Riding is only one thing I enjoy doing with my bicycles. Working on
> >> them is the other thing. My wife and I call it "bike fiddle time,"
> >> since I'll sometimes say, "I'm going to go out and fiddle around with
> >> the bike." There's many things to do besides cleaning and waxing. The
> >> spokes checked and tightened, the shifting and brakes checked and
> >> adjusted and cables lubed, the front wheel alignment checked, and the
> >> chain always needs tending to.
> >>
> >> A neighbor came over yesterday as I was sitting on the Catrike in my
> >> driveway. "Using it for a lounge chair?" he asked. Actually, I
> >> explained, I was truing up my handlebars with a tape measure. Both of
> >> my handlebars consist of four tubes, each of which has to match the
> >> angle of it's mirror image twin on the other headset. I'd decided that
> >> I wanted to move the Garmin computer to the left side and the mp3
> >> player to the right, and to use different attachment tubes for both of
> >> them.
> >>
> >> Each of the handlebars has two additional short tubes attached, one
> >> for the devices above, and another for the shift levers. All of that
> >> required disassembling most of the handlebar structures and putting
> >> them back together. I'm an obsessive perfectionist when it comes to my
> >> bike setup, my seating, BB, shifting, chain, brakes, handlebars,
> >> shoes, etc. I carry allen wrenches that I can access without having to
> >> get up off the bike so I can "adjust" when I'm out riding.
> >>
> >> Perfection is impossible to obtain, but seeking perfection is what
> >> makes the world go around.
> >I think you're going to drive Frank right up the wall. If you need something fixed you take it to a shop and you buy one bicycle when you're 20 years old and keep it until the day you die. So shall it be written, so shall it be done. Otherwise you're churning to find a bicycle to improve your performance. I guess my performance doesn't stand up to Krygowski's expectations. He has accomplished so much more. Even my 8 year old step daughter was a better rider than Frank ever was in his entire life. She rode coast to coast two and a half times and finished third in the Jr. Olympics in her age group. Frank uses flat pedals and thinks that only a show off uses clipless pedals.,
> My Catrike hasn't seen the inside of a bike shop since the day I
> bought it in 2009, about 36,000 miles ago...

Frank bought his bike for life in 1965

Re: Fiddling with the bike

<tn2s91$1njp7$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70137&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70137

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 16:04:33 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 21:04 UTC

On 12/10/2022 1:59 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> I think you're going to drive Frank right up the wall. If you need something fixed you take it to a shop and you buy one bicycle when you're 20 years old and keep it until the day you die. So shall it be written, so shall it be done. Otherwise you're churning to find a bicycle to improve your performance.

:-) Tom, you seem to be pretending that guy buys a new tricycle every
few months, like you've done with your bicycles for the past five years.

I very much doubt that he's following your Kleenex philosophy: "This
bike's been used, I need to get another."

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Fiddling with the bike

<7nv9phdg5eus6vb6camkemubvfl9qlmu6m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70143&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70143

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 16:52:59 -0500
 by: Catrike Rider - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 21:52 UTC

On Sat, 10 Dec 2022 16:04:33 -0500, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 12/10/2022 1:59 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>
>> I think you're going to drive Frank right up the wall. If you need something fixed you take it to a shop and you buy one bicycle when you're 20 years old and keep it until the day you die. So shall it be written, so shall it be done. Otherwise you're churning to find a bicycle to improve your performance.
>
>:-) Tom, you seem to be pretending that guy buys a new tricycle every
>few months, like you've done with your bicycles for the past five years.
>
>I very much doubt that he's following your Kleenex philosophy: "This
>bike's been used, I need to get another."

Achieving perfection is impossible, but the quest for perfection is
what makes the world go round.

Re: Fiddling with the bike

<e8dbb180-3f11-4d9a-8073-fd7d2ef8ec1dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70157&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70157

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 16:17:16 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 00:17 UTC

On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 1:52:56 PM UTC-8, Catrike Rider wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Dec 2022 16:04:33 -0500, Frank Krygowski
> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >On 12/10/2022 1:59 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> >>
> >> I think you're going to drive Frank right up the wall. If you need something fixed you take it to a shop and you buy one bicycle when you're 20 years old and keep it until the day you die. So shall it be written, so shall it be done. Otherwise you're churning to find a bicycle to improve your performance.
> >
> >:-) Tom, you seem to be pretending that guy buys a new tricycle every
> >few months, like you've done with your bicycles for the past five years.
> >
> >I very much doubt that he's following your Kleenex philosophy: "This
> >bike's been used, I need to get another."
> Achieving perfection is impossible, but the quest for perfection is
> what makes the world go round.

It certainly offends Frank that I have money to do whatever I wish to do.. From the way he is so offended you'd think that he is facing eminent homelessness. Gee, I would feel so terrible with him out on the street. He might have to mow some black guy's lawn in order to eat.