"If value corrupts then absolute value corrupts absolutely."

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Fondriest

SubjectAuthor
* FondriestTom Kunich
`* Re: FondriestAMuzi
 `* Re: FondriestTom Kunich
  `- Re: FondriestAMuzi

1
Fondriest

<c05c41da-e039-4019-ab68-ecc5dee156een@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70332&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70332

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 14:05:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Fondriest
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 22:05 UTC

Rather to my surprise the Fondriest arrived on their shortest estimate. I expect that this is because the mail works better during the holiday season with them attempting to keep back-ups to a minimum.

My Time fork is too short for that head tube.

The Frame builder that I could have had a top end fork made by has just retired. He is selling a couple of stock bikes he had on the board - Oasis - and they're on Ebay. I can't say enough about this man's workmanship.

I would like to put a metal fork into my Fondriest but there's not a lot of selection for a 1" fork and although there were a lot of 1" Time forks available just a month ago, there aren't any today. Without a fork I won't be stripping the Basso until the fork and headset problem is solved. I ordered a headset but I might have to have a custom threadless steel fork made.

The frame alone weighs 1.7 kg (3.7 lbs) and that will put the assembled weight in the 21 lb area. The tubing is Fondriest and is aero. I think that a waste of time on steel bikes but with 28 mm tires it really doesn't matter.

I still have that set of Pro-Lite wheels around. I Still haven't gotten around to fixing that dent on the front wheel braking surface but it shouldn't be difficult. I just have to get some heavy steel strips strong enough so that the vice grips can push that almost invisible dent out. But it is very plain when you're braking.

I just put a rear wheel into the vertical dropouts and there's enough room for 28 mm tires whereas they don't fit easily into the horizontal dropouts of the Moser. I put a set of 25 mm tires on the Moser and they slip right in. I suppose I should test ride the Moser tomorrow for the 25 mile climbing ride. I like the way the Moser rides and if it is as good on the 25's as on the 28's I would keep it. I need to get the aluminum and carbon fiber bikes out of here.

Re: Fondriest

<tn88v2$2aeu7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70335&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70335

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Fondriest
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 16:11:48 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 22:11 UTC

On 12/12/2022 4:05 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> Rather to my surprise the Fondriest arrived on their shortest estimate. I expect that this is because the mail works better during the holiday season with them attempting to keep back-ups to a minimum.
>
> My Time fork is too short for that head tube.
>
> The Frame builder that I could have had a top end fork made by has just retired. He is selling a couple of stock bikes he had on the board - Oasis - and they're on Ebay. I can't say enough about this man's workmanship.
>
> I would like to put a metal fork into my Fondriest but there's not a lot of selection for a 1" fork and although there were a lot of 1" Time forks available just a month ago, there aren't any today. Without a fork I won't be stripping the Basso until the fork and headset problem is solved. I ordered a headset but I might have to have a custom threadless steel fork made.
>
> The frame alone weighs 1.7 kg (3.7 lbs) and that will put the assembled weight in the 21 lb area. The tubing is Fondriest and is aero. I think that a waste of time on steel bikes but with 28 mm tires it really doesn't matter.
>
> I still have that set of Pro-Lite wheels around. I Still haven't gotten around to fixing that dent on the front wheel braking surface but it shouldn't be difficult. I just have to get some heavy steel strips strong enough so that the vice grips can push that almost invisible dent out. But it is very plain when you're braking.
>
> I just put a rear wheel into the vertical dropouts and there's enough room for 28 mm tires whereas they don't fit easily into the horizontal dropouts of the Moser. I put a set of 25 mm tires on the Moser and they slip right in. I suppose I should test ride the Moser tomorrow for the 25 mile climbing ride. I like the way the Moser rides and if it is as good on the 25's as on the 28's I would keep it. I need to get the aluminum and carbon fiber bikes out of here.

Waterford will build whatever geometry you like, USA SCM
cast crown, stainless ends $425.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Fondriest

<e9a3c093-7f15-4011-a132-12e25fdccb00n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70343&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70343

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 14:39:29 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 22:39 UTC

On Monday, December 12, 2022 at 2:11:50 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
> On 12/12/2022 4:05 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > Rather to my surprise the Fondriest arrived on their shortest estimate. I expect that this is because the mail works better during the holiday season with them attempting to keep back-ups to a minimum.
> >
> > My Time fork is too short for that head tube.
> >
> > The Frame builder that I could have had a top end fork made by has just retired. He is selling a couple of stock bikes he had on the board - Oasis - and they're on Ebay. I can't say enough about this man's workmanship.
> >
> > I would like to put a metal fork into my Fondriest but there's not a lot of selection for a 1" fork and although there were a lot of 1" Time forks available just a month ago, there aren't any today. Without a fork I won't be stripping the Basso until the fork and headset problem is solved. I ordered a headset but I might have to have a custom threadless steel fork made..
> >
> > The frame alone weighs 1.7 kg (3.7 lbs) and that will put the assembled weight in the 21 lb area. The tubing is Fondriest and is aero. I think that a waste of time on steel bikes but with 28 mm tires it really doesn't matter.
> >
> > I still have that set of Pro-Lite wheels around. I Still haven't gotten around to fixing that dent on the front wheel braking surface but it shouldn't be difficult. I just have to get some heavy steel strips strong enough so that the vice grips can push that almost invisible dent out. But it is very plain when you're braking.
> >
> > I just put a rear wheel into the vertical dropouts and there's enough room for 28 mm tires whereas they don't fit easily into the horizontal dropouts of the Moser. I put a set of 25 mm tires on the Moser and they slip right in. I suppose I should test ride the Moser tomorrow for the 25 mile climbing ride. I like the way the Moser rides and if it is as good on the 25's as on the 28's I would keep it. I need to get the aluminum and carbon fiber bikes out of here.
> >
> Waterford will build whatever geometry you like, USA SCM
> cast crown, stainless ends $425.

Thanks for the price. That is about $125 Cheaper than Tommasini.

Re: Fondriest

<tn8cq8$2aq81$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70356&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70356

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 17:17:31 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 23:17 UTC

On 12/12/2022 4:39 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Monday, December 12, 2022 at 2:11:50 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
>> On 12/12/2022 4:05 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> Rather to my surprise the Fondriest arrived on their shortest estimate. I expect that this is because the mail works better during the holiday season with them attempting to keep back-ups to a minimum.
>>>
>>> My Time fork is too short for that head tube.
>>>
>>> The Frame builder that I could have had a top end fork made by has just retired. He is selling a couple of stock bikes he had on the board - Oasis - and they're on Ebay. I can't say enough about this man's workmanship.
>>>
>>> I would like to put a metal fork into my Fondriest but there's not a lot of selection for a 1" fork and although there were a lot of 1" Time forks available just a month ago, there aren't any today. Without a fork I won't be stripping the Basso until the fork and headset problem is solved. I ordered a headset but I might have to have a custom threadless steel fork made.
>>>
>>> The frame alone weighs 1.7 kg (3.7 lbs) and that will put the assembled weight in the 21 lb area. The tubing is Fondriest and is aero. I think that a waste of time on steel bikes but with 28 mm tires it really doesn't matter.
>>>
>>> I still have that set of Pro-Lite wheels around. I Still haven't gotten around to fixing that dent on the front wheel braking surface but it shouldn't be difficult. I just have to get some heavy steel strips strong enough so that the vice grips can push that almost invisible dent out. But it is very plain when you're braking.
>>>
>>> I just put a rear wheel into the vertical dropouts and there's enough room for 28 mm tires whereas they don't fit easily into the horizontal dropouts of the Moser. I put a set of 25 mm tires on the Moser and they slip right in. I suppose I should test ride the Moser tomorrow for the 25 mile climbing ride. I like the way the Moser rides and if it is as good on the 25's as on the 28's I would keep it. I need to get the aluminum and carbon fiber bikes out of here.
>>>
>> Waterford will build whatever geometry you like, USA SCM
>> cast crown, stainless ends $425.
>
> Thanks for the price. That is about $125 Cheaper than Tommasini.

Nothing wrong with Tommasini product but we like USA
products here.