"Send lawyers, guns and money..." -- Lyrics from a Warren Zevon song

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Indoor trainer vs road riding?

SubjectAuthor
* Indoor trainer vs road riding?Mark Cleary
+- Re: Indoor trainer vs road riding?Catrike Rider
+* Re: Indoor trainer vs road riding?Tom Kunich
|`* Re: Indoor trainer vs road riding?William Crowell
| `- Re: Indoor trainer vs road riding?Radey Shouman
+- Re: Indoor trainer vs road riding?Ralph Barone
`- Re: Indoor trainer vs road riding?funkma...@hotmail.com

1
Indoor trainer vs road riding?

<d492d967-0e33-41f3-aae5-1700a96419c4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70328&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70328

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 13:48:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Indoor trainer vs road riding?
From: deaconmj...@gmail.com (Mark Cleary)
 by: Mark Cleary - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 21:48 UTC

So with winter setting it riding the indoor fluid trainer more. I go outside when I can but ice and wind are the stoppers not temps so much. But frankly on the indoor trainer my heart rate runs faster for a workout. Certainly being inside and hot has the effect but I love it hot so I don't even use a big fan. Not ever having to coast cuts down on the unproductive area riding inside.

To me in my estimation if I ride hard on the indoor trainer for 30 miles I average about 19mph. It is a fluid trainer I don't have a power meter. I can ride for 90 minutes and to me that is pretty close a ride outside of say 40-45 miles. My point is that it is more efficient in terms to time and payout. What would any of you say or think? Studies seem to back this up.
Deacon Mark

Re: Indoor trainer vs road riding?

<bgafphheq9qudrr3hi2k4i55skdmdj6aju@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70346&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70346

From: solo...@drafting.not (Catrike Rider)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Indoor trainer vs road riding?
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 17:42:33 -0500
 by: Catrike Rider - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 22:42 UTC

On Mon, 12 Dec 2022 13:48:36 -0800 (PST), Mark Cleary
<deaconmjc08@gmail.com> wrote:

>So with winter setting it riding the indoor fluid trainer more. I go outside when I can but ice and wind are the stoppers not temps so much. But frankly on the indoor trainer my heart rate runs faster for a workout. Certainly being inside and hot has the effect but I love it hot so I don't even use a big fan. Not ever having to coast cuts down on the unproductive area riding inside.
>
>To me in my estimation if I ride hard on the indoor trainer for 30 miles I average about 19mph. It is a fluid trainer I don't have a power meter. I can ride for 90 minutes and to me that is pretty close a ride outside of say 40-45 miles. My point is that it is more efficient in terms to time and payout. What would any of you say or think? Studies seem to back this up.
>Deacon Mark

Given my temperment, those things should be right for me, but they
bore me to tears.... and as for getting one with a computerized
"coach," I don't even use the computer and phone "virtual assistant."
The first thing I do with a new device is to shut those things off. I
don't respond to what most people tell me to do, so I definately
reject the computerized voices.

Re: Indoor trainer vs road riding?

<806ca566-26af-4e1a-bb8f-6d0ac7b44729n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70348&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70348

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 14:47:04 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 22:47 UTC

On Monday, December 12, 2022 at 1:48:38 PM UTC-8, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
> So with winter setting it riding the indoor fluid trainer more. I go outside when I can but ice and wind are the stoppers not temps so much. But frankly on the indoor trainer my heart rate runs faster for a workout. Certainly being inside and hot has the effect but I love it hot so I don't even use a big fan. Not ever having to coast cuts down on the unproductive area riding inside.
>
> To me in my estimation if I ride hard on the indoor trainer for 30 miles I average about 19mph. It is a fluid trainer I don't have a power meter. I can ride for 90 minutes and to me that is pretty close a ride outside of say 40-45 miles. My point is that it is more efficient in terms to time and payout. What would any of you say or think? Studies seem to back this up.
> Deacon Mark

We have to be very aware of black ice here in the bay area. It must be that global warming.

Re: Indoor trainer vs road riding?

<tn97ah$12an$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70389&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70389

From: ral...@invalid.com (Ralph Barone)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 06:49:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ralph Barone - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 06:49 UTC

Mark Cleary <deaconmjc08@gmail.com> wrote:
> So with winter setting it riding the indoor fluid trainer more. I go
> outside when I can but ice and wind are the stoppers not temps so much.
> But frankly on the indoor trainer my heart rate runs faster for a
> workout. Certainly being inside and hot has the effect but I love it hot
> so I don't even use a big fan. Not ever having to coast cuts down on the
> unproductive area riding inside.
>
> To me in my estimation if I ride hard on the indoor trainer for 30 miles
> I average about 19mph. It is a fluid trainer I don't have a power meter.
> I can ride for 90 minutes and to me that is pretty close a ride outside
> of say 40-45 miles. My point is that it is more efficient in terms to
> time and payout. What would any of you say or think? Studies seem to back this up.
> Deacon Mark

Tell me what trainer you’re using and I may have an equation to convert
speed to power for it.

Re: Indoor trainer vs road riding?

<a0a16ffd-6390-4013-89e9-feeee8d4e2bfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70404&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70404

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 04:04:37 -0800 (PST)
From: retroguy...@gmail.com (William Crowell)
 by: William Crowell - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 12:04 UTC

We have to be very aware of black ice here in the bay area. It must be that global warming.
That's right; Black Ice Matters. I sure am glad that you didn't mention White Ice, Tom, because that would have been systemically racist! I agree with Catrike: indoor trainers bore me to tears, and I would rather not ride at all than ride one.

Re: Indoor trainer vs road riding?

<63350cb5-4836-48df-b870-cb7f1afe3fafn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70407&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70407

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 05:04:52 -0800 (PST)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 13:04 UTC

On Monday, December 12, 2022 at 4:48:38 PM UTC-5, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
> So with winter setting it riding the indoor fluid trainer more. I go outside when I can but ice and wind are the stoppers not temps so much. But frankly on the indoor trainer my heart rate runs faster for a workout. Certainly being inside and hot has the effect but I love it hot so I don't even use a big fan. Not ever having to coast cuts down on the unproductive area riding inside.
>
> To me in my estimation if I ride hard on the indoor trainer for 30 miles I average about 19mph. It is a fluid trainer I don't have a power meter. I can ride for 90 minutes and to me that is pretty close a ride outside of say 40-45 miles. My point is that it is more efficient in terms to time and payout. What would any of you say or think? Studies seem to back this up.
> Deacon Mark
The boredom factor aside, the power curve of a fluid trainer is predictable such that structured training can yield great results. I was using a Kinetic trainer for years before I finally caved and bought a Wahoo kicker. The power curve of the Kinetic fluid trainer is published.

https://www.kurtkinetic.com/kinetic-power-tech

The one thing you _don't_ need to worry about indoors is all the other factors that will affect your workout. Outside, the actual power depends on terrain, wind, and rider morphology. Indoors, it's simply power as measured by the machine, which is why it's easy to extrapolate the effort based simply on speed. Indoors - riding 20 MPH takes the same power regardless of whether you weigh 150 pounds or 250 pounds. Outdoors, those two riders will have very different power measurements for the same speed. Here's a handy calculator:

http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

Better "smart" trainers will factor in the rider weight and profile and adjust the power load accordingly to (try) to simulate real world conditions.

If you have a HRM, you can use it to structure work outs based on target heart zones or speed efforts while monitoring your HR against your Relative Perceived Effort (RPE). Some people rail against training with HR, but it worked for decades before power metrics became vogue, and most other endurance sports have no option _but_ to use HR.

Re: Indoor trainer vs road riding?

<87lenb17ww.fsf@mothra.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70445&group=rec.bicycles.tech#70445

From: shou...@comcast.net (Radey Shouman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 13:21:35 -0500
sha1:SLwoCvYGcOGKaDZDPizKS1/RtVI=
 by: Radey Shouman - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 18:21 UTC

Cf https://www.youtube.com/embed/efiW2K8gASM