Pray to God, but keep rowing to shore. -- Russian Proverb

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Re: press or interference fit

SubjectAuthor
* press or interference fitClare Snyder
+* Re: press or interference fitSnag
|`* Re: press or interference fitClare Snyder
| `* Re: press or interference fitSnag
|  `* Re: press or interference fitJim Wilkins
|   `* Re: press or interference fitBob La Londe
|    +* Re: press or interference fitJim Wilkins
|    |+* Re: press or interference fitLeon Fisk
|    ||`- Re: press or interference fitJim Wilkins
|    |`* Re: press or interference fitBob La Londe
|    | +- Re: press or interference fitLeon Fisk
|    | `* Re: press or interference fitJim Wilkins
|    |  `- Re: press or interference fitBob La Londe
|    `- Re: press or interference fitClifford Heath
+- Re: press or interference fitJim Wilkins
`- Re: press or interference fitJim Wilkins

1
press or interference fit

<817fvhlq3a38egflsp9gkcgee1v1e11pgr@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7028&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7028

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: press or interference fit
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 12:37:45 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 17:37 UTC

I have a question for you more experienced machinist types.
I have a bicycle hub fitted with sealed cartridge ball bearings -
R8-2rs - so 1.125 nominal OD. This is mounted to a 20 inch rim.

I need to remove one bearing and press in a hub/flange for a disc
brake - and possibly in future a drive pulley. The removed bearing
will be installed in the added hub. I am using CRS for the new part.
What kind of interference fit do I need? How much bigger does my shaft
have to be than the hole? Am I best to do a dry fit or dhould I be
using a permanent shaft locker like a green LocTite?

The stub of the hub/flange going into the hole in the hub is 8 mm
(5/16 inches) - the sise of the R8 outer bearing race - and the wheel
will be run on a threaded axle with a spacer between the bearings,
with the wheel hub and the flange/hubconstrained by the axle.

For anyone interested this is to add bicycle disc brakes to my
reproduction 1919 Briggs and Stratton Flyer. The possible drive pulley
application would be a 1925 Auto Red Bug.

I am machining the parts on my Myford Super 7 lathe and will be
putting together a rotary table using my myford chuck on my benchtop
drill press to drill the flange for the 6 on 44 mm bolt pattern for
the disc rotor
I have just completed my front steering axles and am working on the
"facsimile" motorwheel using a 6:1 reduction 2.5hp (8 cubic inch)
Briggs engine. Looking for a 9 cubic inch to take it's place and also
considering making an adjustable timing gear camshaft to advance the
valve timing for more bottom end torque (since I do NOT need the full
3600RPM!!) This would involve machining the gear off one camshaft, and
machining the camshaft out of another gear then fitting the machined
recess in the back of the gear over the machined flange on the
camshaft and securing with 2 bolts through elongated holes. to enable
splitting the difference between 2 teeth - 44 teath on the cam gear is
just over 8 camshaft degrees or 16.4 crankshaft degrees per tooth and
I require 3 to 7 crankshaft degrees of advance (I estimate) - so
roughly 1/4 to 1/2 a tooth - - -

Re: press or interference fit

<tt95vd$214sl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7029&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7029

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: press or interference fit
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 20:04:30 -0600
 by: Snag - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 02:04 UTC

On 2/23/2023 11:37 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

> I have a question for you more experienced machinist types.
> I have a bicycle hub fitted with sealed cartridge ball bearings -
> R8-2rs - so 1.125 nominal OD. This is mounted to a 20 inch rim.
>
> I need to remove one bearing and press in a hub/flange for a disc
> brake - and possibly in future a drive pulley. The removed bearing
> will be installed in the added hub. I am using CRS for the new part.
> What kind of interference fit do I need? How much bigger does my shaft
> have to be than the hole? Am I best to do a dry fit or dhould I be
> using a permanent shaft locker like a green LocTite?

I'd shoot for about a .001 interference fit on the flange to hub fit
.. Depending on the thickness of the original bearing bore wall I might
make it as much as .0015 ... and dry fit . If I was using a sleeve
retaining loctite I'd probably go for about .0015+ clearance . That
stuff needs a little film thickness to work right .

> The stub of the hub/flange going into the hole in the hub is 8 mm
> (5/16 inches) - the sise of the R8 outer bearing race - and the wheel
> will be run on a threaded axle with a spacer between the bearings,
> with the wheel hub and the flange/hubconstrained by the axle.
>
> For anyone interested this is to add bicycle disc brakes to my
> reproduction 1919 Briggs and Stratton Flyer. The possible drive pulley
> application would be a 1925 Auto Red Bug.
>
> I am machining the parts on my Myford Super 7 lathe and will be
> putting together a rotary table using my myford chuck on my benchtop
> drill press to drill the flange for the 6 on 44 mm bolt pattern for
> the disc rotor

Set a compass to 22 mm to draw the circle , then step around the
circle with that setting . The chord of a 44 mm diameter circle with six
flats is ... 44 mm (well , pretty close) .

> I have just completed my front steering axles and am working on the
> "facsimile" motorwheel using a 6:1 reduction 2.5hp (8 cubic inch)
> Briggs engine. Looking for a 9 cubic inch to take it's place and also
> considering making an adjustable timing gear camshaft to advance the
> valve timing for more bottom end torque (since I do NOT need the full
> 3600RPM!!) This would involve machining the gear off one camshaft, and
> machining the camshaft out of another gear then fitting the machined
> recess in the back of the gear over the machined flange on the
> camshaft and securing with 2 bolts through elongated holes. to enable
> splitting the difference between 2 teeth - 44 teath on the cam gear is
> just over 8 camshaft degrees or 16.4 crankshaft degrees per tooth and
> I require 3 to 7 crankshaft degrees of advance (I estimate) - so
> roughly 1/4 to 1/2 a tooth - - -

If that cam gear is a straight spur gear of either 16 or 20 dp I may
be able to make you a gear so you don't have to burn a second camshaft ...
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: press or interference fit

<ttaf4g$27nri$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7030&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7030

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 08:46:01 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 13:46 UTC

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message

[...]

----------------------

If the brake rotor is bolted to the hub you have little to gain and much to
lose from an additional tight press fit. I'd make the fit light enough to
disassemble it without damage, like car alternator bearings, perhaps by
running cap screws into two opposing tapped holes in the rotor.

Almost everything I've built has had to come apart several times during
construction. That 6 jaw lathe chuck was constantly being taken apart and
scraped or stoned to reduce the excessively tight fit of the top jaws. I
disassembled prototypes of the second generation Segway so many times I
could do it in the dark, like field-stripping an army weapon.

How do you like the Myford?

Re: press or interference fit

<ttafkd$27phh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7031&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7031

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 08:54:30 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 13:54 UTC

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
Looking for a 9 cubic inch to take it's place and also
considering making an adjustable timing gear camshaft to advance the
valve timing for more bottom end torque (since I do NOT need the full
3600RPM!!) This would involve machining the gear off one camshaft, and
machining the camshaft out of another gear then fitting the machined
recess in the back of the gear over the machined flange on the
camshaft and securing with 2 bolts through elongated holes. to enable
splitting the difference between 2 teeth - 44 teath on the cam gear is
just over 8 camshaft degrees or 16.4 crankshaft degrees per tooth and
I require 3 to 7 crankshaft degrees of advance (I estimate) - so
roughly 1/4 to 1/2 a tooth - - -

--------------------

You can buy or make offset keys to shift the crank gear instead.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/194452656732

Re: press or interference fit

<lvmhvhdlddagsirvjh3s68uqennqe79ibs@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7032&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7032

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 10:47:04 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 15:47 UTC

On Thu, 23 Feb 2023 20:04:30 -0600, Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:

>On 2/23/2023 11:37 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
>>
>> I have a question for you more experienced machinist types.
>> I have a bicycle hub fitted with sealed cartridge ball bearings -
>> R8-2rs - so 1.125 nominal OD. This is mounted to a 20 inch rim.
>>
>> I need to remove one bearing and press in a hub/flange for a disc
>> brake - and possibly in future a drive pulley. The removed bearing
>> will be installed in the added hub. I am using CRS for the new part.
>> What kind of interference fit do I need? How much bigger does my shaft
>> have to be than the hole? Am I best to do a dry fit or dhould I be
>> using a permanent shaft locker like a green LocTite?
>
> I'd shoot for about a .001 interference fit on the flange to hub fit
>. Depending on the thickness of the original bearing bore wall I might
>make it as much as .0015 ... and dry fit . If I was using a sleeve
>retaining loctite I'd probably go for about .0015+ clearance . That
>stuff needs a little film thickness to work right .
>>
>> The stub of the hub/flange going into the hole in the hub is 8 mm
>> (5/16 inches) - the sise of the R8 outer bearing race - and the wheel
>> will be run on a threaded axle with a spacer between the bearings,
>> with the wheel hub and the flange/hubconstrained by the axle.
>>
>> For anyone interested this is to add bicycle disc brakes to my
>> reproduction 1919 Briggs and Stratton Flyer. The possible drive pulley
>> application would be a 1925 Auto Red Bug.
>>
>> I am machining the parts on my Myford Super 7 lathe and will be
>> putting together a rotary table using my myford chuck on my benchtop
>> drill press to drill the flange for the 6 on 44 mm bolt pattern for
>> the disc rotor
>
> Set a compass to 22 mm to draw the circle , then step around the
>circle with that setting . The chord of a 44 mm diameter circle with six
>flats is ... 44 mm (well , pretty close) .

You mean 22mm? - 6 equalateral triangles

>> I have just completed my front steering axles and am working on the
>> "facsimile" motorwheel using a 6:1 reduction 2.5hp (8 cubic inch)
>> Briggs engine. Looking for a 9 cubic inch to take it's place and also
>> considering making an adjustable timing gear camshaft to advance the
>> valve timing for more bottom end torque (since I do NOT need the full
>> 3600RPM!!) This would involve machining the gear off one camshaft, and
>> machining the camshaft out of another gear then fitting the machined
>> recess in the back of the gear over the machined flange on the
>> camshaft and securing with 2 bolts through elongated holes. to enable
>> splitting the difference between 2 teeth - 44 teath on the cam gear is
>> just over 8 camshaft degrees or 16.4 crankshaft degrees per tooth and
>> I require 3 to 7 crankshaft degrees of advance (I estimate) - so
>> roughly 1/4 to 1/2 a tooth - - -
>>

> If that cam gear is a straight spur gear of either 16 or 20 dp I may
>be able to make you a gear so you don't have to burn a second camshaft ...
Shipping the gear would likely cost as much as a second used camshaft
-- up here to Canada. - same camshaft as small old vertical shaft
briggs lawn mower engines - - back before every lawn mower had a 6 1/2
hp engine - - - - - -
They are getting a lot more scarce on the kerb these days - seeing
more Honda and Kawasaki engines showing up - OHV stuff. Used to be I
could get 5 or 6 free briggs lawn mower engines in a month - - - - and
a couple snow blower or tiller engines - for nothing or a few bucks.
Those days appear to be gone - - - and a local small engine shop
wants $30 each for used camshafts.

Re: press or interference fit

<ttc206$2fs6e$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7033&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7033

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 22:15:07 -0600
 by: Snag - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 04:15 UTC

On 2/24/2023 9:47 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2023 20:04:30 -0600, Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
>

>> Set a compass to 22 mm to draw the circle , then step around the
>> circle with that setting . The chord of a 44 mm diameter circle with six
>> flats is ... 44 mm (well , pretty close) .
>
> You mean 22mm? - 6 equalateral triangles

You're right , I don't know why I thought it was a half-circle sweep
per .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: press or interference fit

<tte9j4$2n4vq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7034&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7034

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 19:35:56 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 00:35 UTC

"Snag" wrote in message news:ttc206$2fs6e$1@dont-email.me...

On 2/24/2023 9:47 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2023 20:04:30 -0600, Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
>

>> Set a compass to 22 mm to draw the circle , then step around the
>> circle with that setting . The chord of a 44 mm diameter circle with six
>> flats is ... 44 mm (well , pretty close) .
>
> You mean 22mm? - 6 equalateral triangles

You're right , I don't know why I thought it was a half-circle sweep
per .
Snag

---------------
Despite being mathematically sophisticated in other ways, the ancient
Babylonians took Pi as 3 times the diameter, or 6 times the radius as in
stepping out the hexagon of equilateral triangles around a circle with a
compass.

The Egyptians were closer with Pi = 256/81, or (4/3)^4, but it's less
accurate than 22/7. That kills the notion that advanced space aliens helped
them.
https://www.exploratorium.edu/pi/history-of-pi

Perhaps the ancients weren't skilled (or interested) enough to accurately
lay out the scale on a ruler. Greek geometry specifically prohibits markings
on the straightedge. Surviving artifacts show that they were highly skilled
at making other things.
https://astronomy.com/news/2022/05/a-new-origin-story-for-king-tuts-meteorite-dagger

Re: press or interference fit

<tteb9m$2n84i$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7035&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7035

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 18:05:56 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 01:05 UTC

On 2/25/2023 5:35 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Snag"  wrote in message news:ttc206$2fs6e$1@dont-email.me...
>
> On 2/24/2023 9:47 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Feb 2023 20:04:30 -0600, Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
>>

>>>    Set a compass to 22 mm to draw the circle , then step around the
>>> circle with that setting . The chord of a 44 mm diameter circle with six
>>> flats is ... 44 mm (well , pretty close) .
>>
>> You mean 22mm? - 6 equalateral triangles
>
>   You're right , I don't know why I thought it was a half-circle sweep
> per .
> Snag
>
> ---------------
> Despite being mathematically sophisticated in other ways, the ancient
> Babylonians took Pi as 3 times the diameter, or 6 times the radius as in
> stepping out the hexagon of equilateral triangles around a circle with a
> compass.
>
> The Egyptians were closer with Pi = 256/81, or (4/3)^4, but it's less
> accurate than 22/7. That kills the notion that advanced space aliens
> helped them.
> https://www.exploratorium.edu/pi/history-of-pi
>
> Perhaps the ancients weren't skilled (or interested) enough to
> accurately lay out the scale on a ruler. Greek geometry specifically
> prohibits markings on the straightedge. Surviving artifacts show that
> they were highly skilled at making other things.
> https://astronomy.com/news/2022/05/a-new-origin-story-for-king-tuts-meteorite-dagger

I cheat anymore and use an arc chord calculator app on my cell phone
these days. 22mm radius & 60 degree angle. The chord length is 22mm
out to 6 decimal places anyway. Seems the rule of thumb used is pretty
darn good. I'll try to remember that one.

If you are interested:

ArcCalc V1.4
No permissions requested
No mobile data used
No ads

App data does not show an author.

I also use a triangle calculator, but it has in app ads. They are small
enough they never interfere though.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: press or interference fit

<ttfsl4$2uo2f$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7036&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7036

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:07:24 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 15:07 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:tteb9m$2n84i$1@dont-email.me...

I cheat anymore and use an arc chord calculator app on my cell phone
these days. 22mm radius & 60 degree angle. The chord length is 22mm
out to 6 decimal places anyway. Seems the rule of thumb used is pretty
darn good. I'll try to remember that one.

If you are interested:

ArcCalc V1.4
No permissions requested
No mobile data used
No ads

App data does not show an author.

I also use a triangle calculator, but it has in app ads. They are small
enough they never interfere though.

Bob La Londe

------------
My personal preference is for apps that use the larger screen on my laptop
or its 19" external monitor, and if I can't find what I want I write one for
practice as a program or spreadsheet. For example I've automated the IRS tax
forms, though I file the result from my sister's H&R Block software. For the
last several years my numbers have matched hers. I'm not mobile enough to
benefit from iPhone apps, the (old, free) phone is merely tethered to the
(old, $15) laptop for my cellular Internet.

I wrote a spreadsheet to turn half round ball joints for a hoist base from a
dumbbell. The spreadsheet gave the infeed dial setting for each step along
the length, starting at 0 with the tool touching the OD and end of the
blank. The radius and step sizes were constants that I changed between the
coarse roughing and finer finishing passes. When the steps were small enough
I filed it smooth.

I have a rotary table and a BS-0 indexer to mill smaller gears and splines
to acceptable angular accuracy. Since my 1950's Clausing mill lacks a DRO or
good safe places to install the scales I lay out larger mounting hole
patterns and bolt circles with dividers or a vernier height gauge, then
center punch and match-drill the hole locations. The holes align well enough
as long as I mark one as an index and don't rotate the parts relative to
each other, because drill bits may not center exactly on pilot holes, and
unhardened custom drill bushings wear quickly. Usually manual layout gets me
within 0.005". Rolled threads on commercial bolts aren't parallel or
concentric enough to the shank to benefit from closer tolerance anyway. When
I was building custom industrial machinery the components had to be located
and aligned on the welded frame by manual methods. As I learned the hard
way, jigging the pre-drilled parts in position doesn't overcome weld
shrinkage. For some reason my father, an accountant, had a copy of the Audel
Millwrights and Mechanics Guide which helped a lot.

Sometimes I find that the device I'm mounting wasn't drilled accurately in
the factory fixture. I had to re-machine a hydraulic pump end plate with
holes that didn't all align with the ones on the other end. I didn't
identify the problem until I had taken it apart and fussed with it too much
to return it, and it was a tempting precision machining challenge. After the
repair it's given me 20+ years of service on the log splitter. That job
taught me the limitations of my old milling machine, such as the quill free
play increasing as it extends. I used the knee feed to bore straight and
parallel.
-jsw

Re: press or interference fit

<ttftmn$2tqp5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7037&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7037

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 11:27:29 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 15:27 UTC

On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:07:24 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
>For example I've automated the IRS tax
>forms, though I file the result from my sister's H&R Block software. For the
>last several years my numbers have matched hers.

I've been using Glen's spreadsheet to check my work. A second opinion
is helpful. It's the most involved spreadsheet I've ever loaded...
Use that data to fill in the Fed's pdf forms...

https://sites.google.com/view/incometaxspreadsheet/home

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: press or interference fit

<ttg7ha$2vrcd$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7038&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7038

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 13:13:05 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 18:13 UTC

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message news:ttftmn$2tqp5$1@dont-email.me...

On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 10:07:24 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
>For example I've automated the IRS tax
>forms, though I file the result from my sister's H&R Block software. For
>the
>last several years my numbers have matched hers.

I've been using Glen's spreadsheet to check my work. A second opinion
is helpful. It's the most involved spreadsheet I've ever loaded...
Use that data to fill in the Fed's pdf forms...

https://sites.google.com/view/incometaxspreadsheet/home

Leon Fisk

------------------------------

The valuable aspect of my spreadsheet is that it incorporates and preserves
my understanding of the rules, which I read through every year to update the
spreadsheet, and then use to help plan my deductible purchases and
investment choices and improve my record-keeping. Its extra Paid and
Received sheets are also useful check lists of all the paperwork I need to
take to my sister's house, since she demands to see and highlight the
originals, and anything that may be missing or questionable like the
recently optional IRA minimum required deductions. Understanding the forms
and performing the calculations have become separate operations which are
individually less demanding and confusing.

The H&R Block program that actually computes my taxes gives no useful
feedback and doesn't relate to the IRS forms, especially the Social Security
and Qualified Dividends worksheets. I created them first and then realized I
was more than half way to doing the other, simpler forms. Most of the math
is addition, subtraction, copying to another sheet, and selecting the Min or
Max of two values, extensive rather than intensive complexity.
-jsw

Re: press or interference fit

<ttgh71$30usg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7041&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7041

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 13:59:12 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 20:59 UTC

On 2/26/2023 8:07 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> [...]
> welded frame by manual methods. As I learned the hard way, jigging the
> pre-drilled parts in position doesn't overcome weld shrinkage. For some
> reason my father, an accountant, had a copy of the Audel Millwrights and
> Mechanics Guide which helped a lot.
>
> Sometimes I find that the device I'm mounting wasn't drilled accurately
> in the factory fixture. I had to re-machine a hydraulic pump end plate
> with holes that didn't all align with the ones on the other end. I
> didn't identify the problem until I had taken it apart and fussed with
> it too much to return it, and it was a tempting precision machining
> challenge. After the repair it's given me 20+ years of service on the
> log splitter. That job taught me the limitations of my old milling
> machine, such as the quill free play increasing as it extends. I used
> the knee feed to bore straight and parallel.

I use applications on the PC all the time of course. Monthly bills and
"cash" on hand go in a spreadsheet for quick checking to see what I can
pay, payoff, and pay down. One I built up is for converting volume to
weight for a variety of common casting and injection materials. Some of
the first larger G-code files I wrote was using macros for iterative
work in Lotus 123. In college I wrote programs to help me understand
algebraic and economic equations.

In high school I wrote a program to generate random test problems for am
algebra 1 class. The instructor asked me to write something that would
generate random test questions because he had rampant cheating in the
class. After the test was administered he asked for the answer keys.
"Answers keys?" I responded innocently. "You didn't ask for answer
keys." He picked the entire stack of tests off his desk and dropped
them in the trash.

As to cell phones. I really wanted to remain a Luddite in that regard
just like you. Basic communication, and to respond to customer calls.
Unfortunately being in the communication contracting business and one of
the first (if not the first) contractors in my area to setup remote
access video over Internet I was forced kicking and screaming against my
will to embrace smart phones. In the long run it was a good thing. The
computing power in my pocket dwarfs the computing power of some of the
computers I used in high school and college like a highly intelligent
human dwarfs the intelligence of an amoeba.

At my desk top the CAD software does most of the heavy lifting for me,
and I can always use the lookup tables in the Machinery's Handbook, but
in the back shop I use my cell phone at the machine like some people
used to use their slide rule.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: press or interference fit

<ttgjfs$2vf88$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7042&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7042

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:39:18 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 21:39 UTC

On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 13:59:12 -0700
Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:

<snip>
>At my desk top the CAD software does most of the heavy lifting for me,
>and I can always use the lookup tables in the Machinery's Handbook, but
>in the back shop I use my cell phone at the machine like some people
>used to use their slide rule.

You want to really piss away some time... install Termux on your
Android smart phone. Don't use the crippled version from the playstore
either:

https://github.com/termux/termux-app

You'll have a Linux style terminal now. So you can then install wcalc:

pkg install wcalc

https://w-calc.sourceforge.net

They have a graphical display available too but having a Linux terminal
that supports a lot of software I'm already familiar with is good
enough ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: press or interference fit

<17477df6354501e6$71$1290337$9aa1cca1@news.thecubenet.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7043&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7043

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 08:44:42 +1100
 by: Clifford Heath - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 21:44 UTC

On 26/02/23 12:05, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 2/25/2023 5:35 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>> "Snag"  wrote in message news:ttc206$2fs6e$1@dont-email.me...

>>> You mean 22mm? - 6 equalateral triangles
>>
>>    You're right , I don't know why I thought it was a half-circle sweep
>> per .
>> Snag
>>
>> ---------------
>> Despite being mathematically sophisticated in other ways, the ancient
>> Babylonians took Pi as 3 times the diameter, or 6 times the radius as
>> in stepping out the hexagon of equilateral triangles around a circle
>> with a compass.
>>
>> The Egyptians were closer with Pi = 256/81, or (4/3)^4, but it's less
>> accurate than 22/7. That kills the notion that advanced space aliens
>> helped them.
>> https://www.exploratorium.edu/pi/history-of-pi
>>
>> Perhaps the ancients weren't skilled (or interested) enough to
>> accurately lay out the scale on a ruler. Greek geometry specifically
>> prohibits markings on the straightedge. Surviving artifacts show that
>> they were highly skilled at making other things.
>> https://astronomy.com/news/2022/05/a-new-origin-story-for-king-tuts-meteorite-dagger
>>

> I cheat anymore and use an arc chord calculator app on my cell phone
> these days.  22mm radius & 60 degree angle.  The chord length is 22mm
> out to 6 decimal places anyway.  Seems the rule of thumb used is pretty
> darn good.

It's not just pretty darn good, it's trigonometrically perfect.
sine(30 degrees) = 0.5, exactly.

Clifford Heath.

Re: press or interference fit

<ttgjsv$31a6v$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7044&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7044

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 16:44:06 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 21:44 UTC

---------------------
At my desk top the CAD software does most of the heavy lifting for me,
and I can always use the lookup tables in the Machinery's Handbook, but
in the back shop I use my cell phone at the machine like some people
used to use their slide rule.

Bob La Londe
------------------------

That's the difference. You are everywhere, expertly managing your
enterprise, while I'm an old retireded geezer puttering away at home. Even
at work I was stashed out of sight in the lab, like Dan Aykroyd at his
boiler room desk in Spies Like Us. At least I was beside the boiler room
instead of in it, and I had a large window to watch the black helicopters
parked outside.

Just kidding about the helicopters. They were unmarked white cargo vans
equipped to monitor radio signals.

Re: press or interference fit

<ttglgk$31etj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7045&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7045

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 15:12:35 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 22:12 UTC

On 2/26/2023 2:44 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Bob La Londe"  wrote in message news:ttgh71$30usg$1@dont-email.me...
>
> On 2/26/2023 8:07 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> At my desk top the CAD software does most of the heavy lifting for me,
> and I can always use the lookup tables in the Machinery's Handbook, but
> in the back shop I use my cell phone at the machine like some people
> used to use their slide rule.
>
> Bob La Londe
>
> That's the difference. You are everywhere, expertly managing your
> enterprise,

Expertly? Thank you. That is something I aspire to. LOL.