Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: from USA Today "Crack in Earth's magnetic field triggers extremely
rare pink auroras
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 09:24:36 -0800
 by: a425couple - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 17:24 UTC

directly from (be sure to see the video!)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2022/11/13/rare-pink-auroras-norway-night-sky/8315879001/

Crack in Earth's magnetic field triggers extremely rare pink auroras
witnessed in Norway
Camille Fine
USA TODAY

Want to know what the night sky looks like after a solar storm smashes
into earth and rips a hole into the planet’s magnetic field?

The combination of cosmic events led to a rare explosion of strikingly
vivid pink auroras the filled Norway's night sky. The unusual colored
light show lasted for around two minutes and was caused by a crack in
Earth's magnetic field, enabling highly energetic solar particles, known
as solar wind, to enter into the atmosphere on Nov. 3, according to
Spaceweather.com.

Greenlander tour company guide Markus Varik spotted the auroras at
around 6 p.m. while leading a tour group near Tromsø, Norway, Varik told
USA TODAY. Although the pink auroras weren’t the best he’s ever
witnessed before, the color's intensity was “super rare” and “almost
never happens,” Varik said.

Rare pink auroras temporarily filled the skies above Norway after a
crack in the Earth's magnetosphere enabled solar wind to penetrate deep
into Earth's atmosphere.
Varik said he has conducted over 1,000 tours of Norway’s auroras as a
guide for over 10 years, but these were the strongest hues of pink and
purple he’s witnessed in his entire life.

Canadian Pacific Holiday train returns:CP holiday train set to return to
eight US states for first time since 2019

Varik said that auroras are usually green, the color of oxygen atoms
being struck by energetic particles, but purple shades can occur under
“rare” conditions when electrons penetrate deep into the atmosphere and
collide with molecules of nitrogen.

Rare pink auroras temporarily filled the skies above Norway after a
crack in the Earth's magnetosphere enabled solar wind to penetrate deep
into Earth's atmosphere.
“The Northern Lights are always different, never the same. It’s like us,
people, completely unique in our own special ways,” Varik said. “When
the auoras give us a blessing to be able to experience this kind of
phenomena, it always goes very spiritual to me.”

Auroras, usually between 62 and 186 miles above Earth's surface, are
formed when streams of solar wind pass around the planet's magnetic
field and superheat gases, which then glow in the night sky.

Auroras are more common at the North and South Poles, areas with weaker
shields for cosmic radiation, according to NASA.

Camille Fine is a trending visual producer on USA TODAY's NOW team.

What's everyone talking about? Sign up for our trending newsletter for
the latest daily news

Re: from USA Today "Crack in Earth's magnetic field triggers extremely rare pink auroras

<tmdlfu$c63$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=708&group=alt.fan.heinlein#708

From: kym...@kymhorsell.com (R Kym Horsell)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein
Subject: Re: from USA Today "Crack in Earth's magnetic field triggers extremely rare pink auroras
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 19:59:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: R Kym Horsell - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 19:59 UTC

In alt.astronomy a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:
> directly from (be sure to see the video!)
> https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2022/11/13/rare-pink-auroras-norway-night-sky/8315879001/
> Crack in Earth's magnetic field triggers extremely rare pink auroras
> witnessed in Norway
> Camille Fine
> USA TODAY

Oh, wow. Thanks for posting this.