To be is to program.

tech / sci.physics.relativity / Re: Something is rotten in the state of QED

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Something is rotten in the state of QEDRoss A. Finlayson
`* Re: Something is rotten in the state of QEDOdd Bodkin
 `* Re: Something is rotten in the state of QEDRoss A. Finlayson
  `* Re: Something is rotten in the state of QEDRoss A. Finlayson
   +* Re: Something is rotten in the state of QEDOdd Bodkin
   |`- Re: Something is rotten in the state of QEDRoss A. Finlayson
   `- Re: Something is rotten in the state of QEDColin Hare

1
Re: Something is rotten in the state of QED

<ea851d7c-9cc1-41ed-8d0b-a0830079517cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70835&group=sci.physics.relativity#70835

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 17:03:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Something is rotten in the state of QED
From: ross.fin...@gmail.com (Ross A. Finlayson)
 by: Ross A. Finlayson - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 00:03 UTC

On Friday, March 12, 2021 at 11:56:45 AM UTC-8, bodk...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> establish after the fact, once it’s agreed by all that it works to high
> precision. And it’s true that not ALL predictions of QED are good to 12
> digits. Who cares? That was never the claim. The Lamb shift calculation is
> good to six digits, but the fact is that competing models didn’t get it
> right to two. So does pointing out that twelve-digit confirmation is
> perhaps a limited statement or could even be interpreted as an
> overstatement and indication that it’s rotten sausage? No, it just means
> that gee-whiz popularizations should always be taken with a grain of salt
> and used as a springboard for deeper readings at a more precise (and
> technically demanding) level.

> >> If you read Woit — actually read him — recall his complaint that string
> >> theory makes no definitive testable predictions, and hence is not even a
> >> physics theory. This is much different than the standard model, which has
> >> made hundreds of definitive predictions validated in experiment. See the
> >> difference?
> >
> > My point, put another way, is that the difference between String theory
> > and SM, QED is a matter of degree: String Theory has not a single
> > experimental prediction confirmed to-date (and more importantly possibly
> > never will), while QCD/QED supposedly have "excellent" experimental
> > confirmation, but when examined more closely, the experimental support is
> > found to be a far cry from the standard narrative.
> Again, that depends on what you consider “standard narrative”. If you
> thought the standard narrative is that the Standard Model is bulletproof,
> without any historical reservations, without any open questions, and with
> unassailable precision that proves that it is THE answer, then that
> narrative is indeed false — but so what?
>
> There is a fundamental difference between string theory and the Standard
> Model. String theory lacks any firm predictions, aside from accessible low
> energy supersymmetric partners that have not been seen. The Standard Model
> has made scores of predictions ranging from 3-jet collider events at the
> right rate and right angular distributions, to the W/Z mass ratio, which
> have been validated to solid precision. Certainly better than any other
> candidates.
> >
> > By contrast, the experimental evidence for SR/GR, in terms of predictions
> > matching observations can be called excellent. My problem with SR/GR is
> > different. I think these theories are physically ABSURD and there is very
> > likely a physically meaningful (and very likely more complex) theory that
> > can explain these results based on a RATIONAL aether.
> >
> Fine, propose a rational aether theory that competes. Otherwise, what’s to
> be gained by complaining that it doesn’t “feel right” to you? Think back to
> Dirac’s comment about renormalization not feeling right. Does it have to?
> --
> Odd Bodkin -- maker of fine toys, tools, tables

There's an example about "1+2+3+.. =, - 1/12", you have to remember
that it's only like "i^2 = -1, roots of unity and complex analysis", that
the analysis "resulting that the expression results the value" is only
some "small negative constant in the restitutive".

Or, "re-normalization is de-re-normalization, for normalization".

Whether "g-factor" or "path integral constant: 1.000..xxx", is for
scattering and tunneling what usually would add back out the
things in curves in straight lines.

Then he ends with "Winter is coming". That's always forboding,
though usually people with four seasons under that mean
"it's not winter yet".

I don't see what the problem is, "old physics" already has
that people include QCD and QED in an at least combined theory.

Re: Something is rotten in the state of QED

<slortp$d1b$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70853&group=sci.physics.relativity#70853

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 14:00:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 14:00 UTC

Wow. Physics jabberwocky.

--
Odd Bodkin — Maker of fine toys, tools, tables

Re: Something is rotten in the state of QED

<aea4f06f-a635-4de3-96c8-73b2552a7f3bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=70965&group=sci.physics.relativity#70965

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 22:33:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: ross.fin...@gmail.com (Ross A. Finlayson)
 by: Ross A. Finlayson - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 05:33 UTC

On Monday, November 1, 2021 at 7:00:28 AM UTC-7, bodk...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> > that it's only like "i^2 = -1, roots of unity and complex analysis", that
> > the analysis "resulting that the expression results the value" is only
> > some "small negative constant in the restitutive".
> >
> > Or, "re-normalization is de-re-normalization, for normalization".
> >
> > Whether "g-factor" or "path integral constant: 1.000..xxx", is for
> > scattering and tunneling what usually would add back out the
> > things in curves in straight lines.
> >
> > Then he ends with "Winter is coming". That's always forboding,
> > though usually people with four seasons under that mean
> > "it's not winter yet".
> >
> > I don't see what the problem is, "old physics" already has
> > that people include QCD and QED in an at least combined theory.
> >
> Wow. Physics jabberwocky.
>
> --
> Odd Bodkin — Maker of fine toys, tools, tables

"Supersymmetry not dead, again."

Re: Something is rotten in the state of QED

<ab199431-aa30-4996-9d9b-7e65eb08907fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71045&group=sci.physics.relativity#71045

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 20:01:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: ross.fin...@gmail.com (Ross A. Finlayson)
 by: Ross A. Finlayson - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 03:01 UTC

On Tuesday, November 2, 2021 at 10:33:58 PM UTC-7, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:
> On Monday, November 1, 2021 at 7:00:28 AM UTC-7, bodk...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Ross A. Finlayson <ross.fi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > There's an example about "1+2+3+.. =, - 1/12", you have to remember
> > > that it's only like "i^2 = -1, roots of unity and complex analysis", that
> > > the analysis "resulting that the expression results the value" is only
> > > some "small negative constant in the restitutive".
> > >
> > > Or, "re-normalization is de-re-normalization, for normalization".
> > >
> > > Whether "g-factor" or "path integral constant: 1.000..xxx", is for
> > > scattering and tunneling what usually would add back out the
> > > things in curves in straight lines.
> > >
> > > Then he ends with "Winter is coming". That's always forboding,
> > > though usually people with four seasons under that mean
> > > "it's not winter yet".
> > >
> > > I don't see what the problem is, "old physics" already has
> > > that people include QCD and QED in an at least combined theory.
> > >
> > Wow. Physics jabberwocky.
> >
> > --
> > Odd Bodkin — Maker of fine toys, tools, tables
> "Supersymmetry not dead, again."

I figured all this out from a usual education,
then, studying mathematics, keeping it all easy
and simple in mathematics, learning the course
of development what is the concept of continuity,
mathematically, what results these great properties
of the numbers, with, mathematics I need for physics,
in infinities, that solve and work up for all the mathematics,
the continuous and discrete, basically that then notions
like renormalizable gauge components, which I just made
up but only from putting the words together, that, ...,
there is an approach from mathematics to help _derive_
the path integral constant, for the usual successful path integral
approach, that for statistics and what are numbers, this way
then with the usual models of physical laws, their closures
in what are the limits and extremes, find all their classical
apparatus, and, sit fair from what I know are the utterest
foundations of continuum mechanics. (What I writ.)

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Something is rotten in the state of QED

<sm0poe$1cf9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71059&group=sci.physics.relativity#71059

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 14:12:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 14:12 UTC

<sm0tbc$109s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71067&group=sci.physics.relativity#71067

From: Col...@Hare.ca (Colin Hare)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 15:13:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Colin Hare - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 15:13 UTC

Ross A. Finlayson wrote:

>> "Supersymmetry not dead, again."
>
> I figured all this out from a usual education,
> then, studying mathematics, keeping it all easy and simple in
> mathematics,
> learning the course of development what is the concept of continuity,
> mathematically, what results these great properties of the numbers,
> with, mathematics I need for physics,

you dont undrestand my *Divergent_Matter* (of the Moving Objects model).

Re: Something is rotten in the state of QED

<7fbae6d8-b472-41bd-be37-36927f62e7c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71256&group=sci.physics.relativity#71256

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 06:39:35 -0800 (PST)
From: ross.fin...@gmail.com (Ross A. Finlayson)
 by: Ross A. Finlayson - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 14:39 UTC