From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: End mill sharpening fixture
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 16:32:26 -0600
 by: Snag - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 22:32 UTC

I'm nearing completion on this project , not a lot left now . All
that's left is the nut to hold the sleeve in the bottom plate and the
one for tightening the collet , plus I still need to drill/mill the
index dimples in the collet holder .
That completes the fixture , then I need to machine a means to hold
the grinding wheel . Could go with a dedicated mandrel , could machine
washers/plates to use one of the mandrels I already have .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: End mill sharpening fixture

<tugov7$27bcu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7089&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7089

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: End mill sharpening fixture
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 21:26:52 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 02:26 UTC

"Snag" wrote in message news:tugb5g$253gi$1@dont-email.me...

I'm nearing completion on this project , not a lot left now . All
that's left is the nut to hold the sleeve in the bottom plate and the
one for tightening the collet , plus I still need to drill/mill the
index dimples in the collet holder .
That completes the fixture , then I need to machine a means to hold
the grinding wheel . Could go with a dedicated mandrel , could machine
washers/plates to use one of the mandrels I already have .
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts
but you can't make him think."

------------------------

The collet tightening nut on my commercial fixture has a hex hole for an
Allen wrench. The collet nut I made which accepts an insert to center an S&D
drill bit shank has four radial slots that fit a dog-type wrench, as that
was simpler to machine, although I have cut internal hexes by using a lathe
as a shaper. The wrench handle is a V of 3/16" welding rod with the ends
bent inward to fit holes in the OD of the wrench.

Since it's small I made it look nice to add to the samples I took to job
interviews. At lunch today I was chatting with a retired HR manager and
showed her some. She agreed that they were more convincing than anything I
could write on a resume, since they were physical proof instead of
questionable claims. Similar goodies got me into Segway.

1-1/4" is a common center hole size for surface and tool grinding wheels.

Re: End mill sharpening fixture

<tugrf5$2ai4k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7090&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7090

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 21:10:40 -0600
 by: Snag - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 03:10 UTC

On 3/10/2023 8:26 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Snag"  wrote in message news:tugb5g$253gi$1@dont-email.me...
>
>   I'm nearing completion on this project , not a lot left now . All
> that's left is the nut to hold the sleeve in the bottom plate and the
> one for tightening the collet , plus I still need to drill/mill the
> index dimples in the collet holder .
>   That completes the fixture , then I need to machine a means to hold
> the grinding wheel . Could go with a dedicated mandrel , could machine
> washers/plates to use one of the mandrels I already have .
> Snag
> "You can lead a dummy to facts
> but you can't make him think."
>
> ------------------------
>
> The collet tightening nut on my commercial fixture has a hex hole for an
> Allen wrench. The collet nut I made which accepts an insert to center an
> S&D drill bit shank has four radial slots that fit a dog-type wrench, as
> that was simpler to machine, although I have cut internal hexes by using
> a lathe as a shaper. The wrench handle is a V of 3/16" welding rod with
> the ends bent inward to fit holes in the OD of the wrench.
>
> Since it's small I made it look nice to add to the samples I took to job
> interviews. At lunch today I was chatting with a retired HR manager and
> showed her some. She agreed that they were more convincing than anything
> I could write on a resume, since they were physical proof instead of
> questionable claims. Similar goodies got me into Segway.
>
> 1-1/4" is a common center hole size for surface and tool grinding wheels.

The wheel I selected is a 6" meant for grinding carbide saw blade
teeth ... and it has the 1 1/4" hole . The most rigid mandrel I have is
the one that came with my lathe with a 1/8" slitting blade on it . I
don't think the loads are going to be all that great ... but since I've
got lots of stock and plenty of time I'll probably make a dedicated
mandrel for this task . Short and stubby and very very rigid .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts