Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

tech / sci.physics.relativity / Re: Why doesn't shape change

SubjectAuthor
* Why doesn't shape changesepp623@yahoo.com
+* Re: Why doesn't shape changePython
|`* Re: Why doesn't shape changeMaciej Wozniak
| `- Re: Why doesn't shape changeGregor Bicha
+- Re: Why doesn't shape changeDono.
`* Re: Why doesn't shape changeAl Coe
 +- Re: Why doesn't shape changeGregor Bicha
 +* Re: Why doesn't shape changesepp623@yahoo.com
 |`- Re: Why doesn't shape changeAl Coe
 `- Re: Why doesn't shape changeMaciej Wozniak

1
Why doesn't shape change

<d5b8713f-187a-4567-a124-e58c884ba4c1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71387&group=sci.physics.relativity#71387

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 08:17:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Why doesn't shape change
From: sepp...@yahoo.com (sepp623@yahoo.com)
 by: sepp623@yahoo.com - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 16:17 UTC

Let's say there are two inertial reference frames, F0 and F1 with relative velocity V=c*sqrt(3)/2 along the x axis. In frame F0, there is a large circular ring center at (0,0). The diameter of this ring is D. Per relativity, F1 observers measure the distance from top to bottom (in the y direction) to be D, and in the x direction to be D/2. Now if this ring is rotating with angular velocity V around the center as measured in F0 instead of having no rotation about the center, why do F1 observers measure that the shape of the rotating ring is identical to the shape of the non-rotating ring?
F1 observers measure that the instantaneous velocity along the top of the rotating ring is zero, and the instantaneous velocity along the bottom of the rotating ring is much greater than V. So why doesn't length contraction cause F1 observers to see a difference in the shape of a stationary ring versus the shape of a ring rotating with velocity V?
David Seppala
Bastrop TX

Re: Why doesn't shape change

<618aa1bc$0$20281$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71388&group=sci.physics.relativity#71388

Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 17:28:42 +0100
Subject: Re: Why doesn't shape change
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
From: pyt...@python.invalid (Python)
 by: Python - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 16:28 UTC

sepp623@yahoo.com wrote:
> Let's say there are two inertial reference frames, F0 and F1 with relative velocity V=c*sqrt(3)/2 along the x axis. In frame F0, there is a large circular ring center at (0,0). The diameter of this ring is D. Per relativity, F1 observers measure the distance from top to bottom (in the y direction) to be D, and in the x direction to be D/2. Now if this ring is rotating with angular velocity V around the center as measured in F0 instead of having no rotation about the center, why do F1 observers measure that the shape of the rotating ring is identical to the shape of the non-rotating ring?
> F1 observers measure that the instantaneous velocity along the top of the rotating ring is zero, and the instantaneous velocity along the bottom of the rotating ring is much greater than V. So why doesn't length contraction cause F1 observers to see a difference in the shape of a stationary ring versus the shape of a ring rotating with velocity V?
> David Seppala
> Bastrop TX

David, why are you doing this? Why are you doing this for DECADES?

Re: Why doesn't shape change

<8c450e42-9945-46d1-bfd0-90b572a3cfd0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71389&group=sci.physics.relativity#71389

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 08:36:41 -0800 (PST)
From: eggy2001...@gmail.com (Dono.)
 by: Dono. - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 16:36 UTC

On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 8:17:17 AM UTC-8, sep...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Let's say there are two inertial reference frames, F0 and F1 with relative velocity V=c*sqrt(3)/2 along the x axis. In frame F0, there is a large circular ring center at (0,0). The diameter of this ring is D. Per relativity, F1 observers measure the distance from top to bottom (in the y direction) to be D, and in the x direction to be D/2.

Correct

>Now if this ring is rotating with angular velocity V around the center as measured in F0 instead of having no rotation about the center, why do F1 observers measure that the shape of the rotating ring is identical to the shape of the non-rotating ring?

You are incorrect, the circle appears as an ellipse, rotated around the vertical axis. There is a lot of literature on the subject that explains the issue in great detail. Google "Penrose-Terrell effect". It is true that a SPHERE will appear as uncontracted and there are good reasons for that: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Penrose+Terrell+effect

> F1 observers measure that the instantaneous velocity along the top of the rotating ring is zero, and the instantaneous velocity along the bottom of the rotating ring is much greater than V. So why doesn't length contraction cause F1 observers to see a difference in the shape of a stationary ring versus the shape of a ring rotating with velocity V?

Google "Penrose-Terrell effect".

Re: Why doesn't shape change

<a5cf6c89-c443-4195-b767-327afcef6dc2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71390&group=sci.physics.relativity#71390

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 08:40:44 -0800 (PST)
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 16:40 UTC

On Tuesday, 9 November 2021 at 17:28:47 UTC+1, Python wrote:
> sep...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Let's say there are two inertial reference frames, F0 and F1 with relative velocity V=c*sqrt(3)/2 along the x axis. In frame F0, there is a large circular ring center at (0,0). The diameter of this ring is D. Per relativity, F1 observers measure the distance from top to bottom (in the y direction) to be D, and in the x direction to be D/2. Now if this ring is rotating with angular velocity V around the center as measured in F0 instead of having no rotation about the center, why do F1 observers measure that the shape of the rotating ring is identical to the shape of the non-rotating ring?
> > F1 observers measure that the instantaneous velocity along the top of the rotating ring is zero, and the instantaneous velocity along the bottom of the rotating ring is much greater than V. So why doesn't length contraction cause F1 observers to see a difference in the shape of a stationary ring versus the shape of a ring rotating with velocity V?
> > David Seppala
> > Bastrop TX
> David, why are you doing this? Why are you doing this for DECADES?

You, on the other hand - for the same decades are spitting
and barking at the people opposing your moronic ideology;
but your reason are obvious - that's what your Shit has
trained you for.

Re: Why doesn't shape change

<smeb5v$1bvv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71391&group=sci.physics.relativity#71391

From: cas...@nbv.ca (Gregor Bicha)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 17:29:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gregor Bicha - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 17:29 UTC

Maciej Wozniak wrote:

>> David, why are you doing this? Why are you doing this for DECADES?
>
> You, on the other hand - for the same decades are spitting and barking
> at the people opposing your moronic ideology; but your reason are
> obvious - that's what your Shit has trained you for.

the Poles hate the Russians with a passion but still do not mind begging
for cheap gas from them. They have no shame whatsoever.

Re: Why doesn't shape change

<b5d0b369-8047-4c7b-adb8-82029001db5dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71394&group=sci.physics.relativity#71394

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 09:53:03 -0800 (PST)
From: coeal5...@gmail.com (Al Coe)
 by: Al Coe - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 17:53 UTC

On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 8:17:17 AM UTC-8, sep...@yahoo.com wrote:
> [Usual erroneous expressions and confusions... leading to:]
> Why doesn't length contraction cause F1 observers to see a difference in the shape of
> a stationary ring versus the shape of a ring rotating with velocity V?

This is yet another standard question posed by countless clueless newbies. The answer is that the density distribution around the rim is non-uniform and is dependent on the speed of rotation of the ring. If you imagine spokes emanating from the hub to the rim, those spokes are not linear in terms of F1 if the wheel is rotating, and they yield the requisite distribution around the rim, consistent with the Lorentz transformation. This (like all your other questions) is Relativity 101. (It is not related to Terrell-Penrose optical image effects.)

Special Relativity: 844 ... Barnpole Dave: 0

Re: Why doesn't shape change

<smecs5$1g4q$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71396&group=sci.physics.relativity#71396

From: cas...@nbv.ca (Gregor Bicha)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 17:58:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gregor Bicha - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 17:58 UTC

Al Coe wrote:

> This is yet another standard question posed by countless clueless
> newbies.
> The answer is that the density distribution around the rim is
> non-uniform
> and is dependent on the speed of rotation of the ring. If you imagine
> spokes emanating from the hub to the rim, those spokes are not linear in
> terms of F1 if the wheel is rotating, and they yield the requisite
> distribution around the rim, consistent with the Lorentz transformation.
> This (like all your other questions) is Relativity 101. (It is not
> related to Terrell-Penrose optical image effects.)
>
> Special Relativity: 844 ... Barnpole Dave: 0

ohh my, relativity wouldn't care about your density distribution. It's
about the spacetime and whatever things in it.

Re: Why doesn't shape change

<97911b42-9778-4732-b3ff-f00dfc817f68n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71397&group=sci.physics.relativity#71397

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 10:04:03 -0800 (PST)
From: sepp...@yahoo.com (sepp623@yahoo.com)
 by: sepp623@yahoo.com - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 18:04 UTC

On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 11:53:05 AM UTC-6, Al Coe wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 8:17:17 AM UTC-8, sep...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > [Usual erroneous expressions and confusions... leading to:]
> > Why doesn't length contraction cause F1 observers to see a difference in the shape of
> > a stationary ring versus the shape of a ring rotating with velocity V?
> This is yet another standard question posed by countless clueless newbies.. The answer is that the density distribution around the rim is non-uniform and is dependent on the speed of rotation of the ring. If you imagine spokes emanating from the hub to the rim, those spokes are not linear in terms of F1 if the wheel is rotating, and they yield the requisite distribution around the rim, consistent with the Lorentz transformation. This (like all your other questions) is Relativity 101. (It is not related to Terrell-Penrose optical image effects.)
>
> Special Relativity: 844 ... Barnpole Dave: 0
So you agree that the rotating ring and the non-rotating ring have the identical shapes. When you say the answer is in regard to the density distribution, please describe the differences in the following. If the rotating ring has a huge, huge diameter and it is rotating at a angular velocity V as measured in F0, and a bar is made of the same material, and it is traveling in a straight line with velocity V relative to F0, with this huge, huge diameter of the ring there is an extremely small centripetal force on the ring, please explain how the density of the rotating ring differs from the density of the bar traveling in a straight line.
David Seppala
Bastrop TX

Re: Why doesn't shape change

<42a96e84-2c9b-4101-9298-c3e23fab2cdan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71398&group=sci.physics.relativity#71398

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 10:55:01 -0800 (PST)
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 18:55 UTC

On Tuesday, 9 November 2021 at 18:53:05 UTC+1, Al Coe wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 8:17:17 AM UTC-8, sep...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > [Usual erroneous expressions and confusions... leading to:]
> > Why doesn't length contraction cause F1 observers to see a difference in the shape of
> > a stationary ring versus the shape of a ring rotating with velocity V?
> This is yet another standard question posed by countless clueless newbies.. The answer is that the density distribution around the rim is non-uniform and is dependent on the speed of rotation of the ring. If you imagine spokes emanating from the hub to the rim, those spokes are not linear in terms of F1 if the wheel is rotating, and they yield the requisite distribution around the rim, consistent with the Lorentz transformation. This (like all your other questions) is Relativity 101. (It is not related to Terrell-Penrose optical image effects.)

In the meantime in the real world, however, forbidden
by your moronic religion GPS clocks keep measuring
t'=t, just like all serious clocks always did.

Re: Why doesn't shape change

<fcec5170-b8fa-4992-b7da-10f591827b3cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71402&group=sci.physics.relativity#71402

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 11:38:40 -0800 (PST)
From: coeal5...@gmail.com (Al Coe)
 by: Al Coe - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 19:38 UTC

On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 10:04:05 AM UTC-8, sep...@yahoo.com wrote:
> If the rotating ring has a huge, huge diameter and it is rotating at a angular velocity V...

The correct term for what you mean is circumferential speed. The phrase "angular velocity" refers to the quantity dtheta/dt, i.e., it is a rate of change of an angle.

> as measured in F0, and a bar is made of the same material, and it is traveling in a
> straight line with velocity V relative to F0... please explain how the density of the
> rotating ring differs from the density of the bar traveling in a straight line.

Not at all... provided the material in the ring is unstressed. Needless to say, if you construct the ring while not rotating, and then set it into rotation, the circumference and radius would shrink if not constrained. But you can contrive to have a rotating ring of essentially unstressed material, which by definition would match a co-moving bar for each segment. This was entailed by the previous answer. The density corresponds to the speed, in accord with relativistic length contraction. Again, this is all Relativity 101. Understand?