Bell Labs Unix -- Reach out and grep someone.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / It has lasted well

SubjectAuthor
* It has lasted wellMark Cleary
+* Re: It has lasted wellTom Kunich
|`- Re: It has lasted wellAMuzi
`* Re: It has lasted wellRoger Merriman
 `* Re: It has lasted wellJohn B.
  `- Re: It has lasted wellRoger Merriman

1
It has lasted well

<7a279438-7435-48af-b370-82678cdde5c5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71727&group=rec.bicycles.tech#71727

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 14:33:32 -0800 (PST)
Subject: It has lasted well
From: deaconmj...@gmail.com (Mark Cleary)
 by: Mark Cleary - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 22:33 UTC

The arctic cold disappeared from the midwest and the last 3 days quite nice for riding. However, a bit rainy so decided to clean my Habanero TI up and lube things again. It has Shimano 6800 and I would say the bike has at least 45,000 miles on it since March of 2017.

I have the same original shifters they smooth and do not miss any shifts. I have the same original BB and I have never done a thing to it or serviced it. I notice the cranks today on the stand with chain off spin like a top, not a hint of bearing issue. I wonder if my experience is very normal? I do clean the bike and lube it but I am not a junkie that cleans and shines it after ever ride for sure. I only periodically do a deep cleaning like today about 3 times a year.

The brakes are great I did pull them and completely clean them I don't do that too often maybe 2 times a year. The brake cables are years old not sure but look fine exposed of course. Original FD but I did upgrade the rear RD to a Shimano R8000 about 19 months ago. The 6800 was fine but I like the way the 8000-mechanism works much better.

I put a new headset in 2 years ago the original Richey WCS external cup the bearings went bad. I just put a new one about same price a just bearings, and then used Marine Grease. Been through some chains for sure and cassettes but at least old cassettes still are good. I just changed gears and decided to switch.

I hear stories of frame and component issues all the time and I am either just lucky or not hard on the bike. In any case happy new year to the group.
Deacon Mark

Re: It has lasted well

<52f5cf7e-8bbe-4af1-9170-ef06122d0a0dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71729&group=rec.bicycles.tech#71729

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 15:14:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: It has lasted well
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 23:14 UTC

On Sunday, January 1, 2023 at 2:33:34 PM UTC-8, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
> The arctic cold disappeared from the midwest and the last 3 days quite nice for riding. However, a bit rainy so decided to clean my Habanero TI up and lube things again. It has Shimano 6800 and I would say the bike has at least 45,000 miles on it since March of 2017.
>
> I have the same original shifters they smooth and do not miss any shifts. I have the same original BB and I have never done a thing to it or serviced it. I notice the cranks today on the stand with chain off spin like a top, not a hint of bearing issue. I wonder if my experience is very normal? I do clean the bike and lube it but I am not a junkie that cleans and shines it after ever ride for sure. I only periodically do a deep cleaning like today about 3 times a year.
>
> The brakes are great I did pull them and completely clean them I don't do that too often maybe 2 times a year. The brake cables are years old not sure but look fine exposed of course. Original FD but I did upgrade the rear RD to a Shimano R8000 about 19 months ago. The 6800 was fine but I like the way the 8000-mechanism works much better.
>
> I put a new headset in 2 years ago the original Richey WCS external cup the bearings went bad. I just put a new one about same price a just bearings, and then used Marine Grease. Been through some chains for sure and cassettes but at least old cassettes still are good. I just changed gears and decided to switch.
>
> I hear stories of frame and component issues all the time and I am either just lucky or not hard on the bike. In any case happy new year to the group.
> Deacon Mark

Habanero are well made bikes. The spots to keep an eye on are the bottle holders which are dissimilar metals as are the headset and bottom bracket These points can corrode though it usually isn't a problem. I think that you also have a Ritchey carbon fiber fork and you're past the date at which the resin may begin aging. I have the notion that the problem with resin is exposure to UV light so unless you spend all your summers riding during middays you might never have a problem but when you do your deep cleaning be sure and inspect for small cracks around the whole fork. Better safe than sorry.

Re: It has lasted well

<tot7a3$1hock$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71738&group=rec.bicycles.tech#71738

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2023 18:08:35 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 00:08 UTC

On 1/1/2023 5:14 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Sunday, January 1, 2023 at 2:33:34 PM UTC-8, deaco...@gmail.com wrote:
>> The arctic cold disappeared from the midwest and the last 3 days quite nice for riding. However, a bit rainy so decided to clean my Habanero TI up and lube things again. It has Shimano 6800 and I would say the bike has at least 45,000 miles on it since March of 2017.
>>
>> I have the same original shifters they smooth and do not miss any shifts. I have the same original BB and I have never done a thing to it or serviced it. I notice the cranks today on the stand with chain off spin like a top, not a hint of bearing issue. I wonder if my experience is very normal? I do clean the bike and lube it but I am not a junkie that cleans and shines it after ever ride for sure. I only periodically do a deep cleaning like today about 3 times a year.
>>
>> The brakes are great I did pull them and completely clean them I don't do that too often maybe 2 times a year. The brake cables are years old not sure but look fine exposed of course. Original FD but I did upgrade the rear RD to a Shimano R8000 about 19 months ago. The 6800 was fine but I like the way the 8000-mechanism works much better.
>>
>> I put a new headset in 2 years ago the original Richey WCS external cup the bearings went bad. I just put a new one about same price a just bearings, and then used Marine Grease. Been through some chains for sure and cassettes but at least old cassettes still are good. I just changed gears and decided to switch.
>>
>> I hear stories of frame and component issues all the time and I am either just lucky or not hard on the bike. In any case happy new year to the group.
>> Deacon Mark
>
> Habanero are well made bikes. The spots to keep an eye on are the bottle holders which are dissimilar metals as are the headset and bottom bracket These points can corrode though it usually isn't a problem. I think that you also have a Ritchey carbon fiber fork and you're past the date at which the resin may begin aging. I have the notion that the problem with resin is exposure to UV light so unless you spend all your summers riding during middays you might never have a problem but when you do your deep cleaning be sure and inspect for small cracks around the whole fork. Better safe than sorry.

Ritchey like most carbon forks I know is clear coated and
modern clears are UV block. This is basic auto coating
technology, very standard now.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: It has lasted well

<tot8kg$1ht76$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71743&group=rec.bicycles.tech#71743

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 00:31:12 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:/zzug/yO5OQcgGWis0FPeXUa6hM=
 by: Roger Merriman - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 00:31 UTC

Mark Cleary <deaconmjc08@gmail.com> wrote:
> The arctic cold disappeared from the midwest and the last 3 days quite
> nice for riding. However, a bit rainy so decided to clean my Habanero TI
> up and lube things again. It has Shimano 6800 and I would say the bike
> has at least 45,000 miles on it since March of 2017.
>
> I have the same original shifters they smooth and do not miss any shifts.
> I have the same original BB and I have never done a thing to it or
> serviced it. I notice the cranks today on the stand with chain off spin
> like a top, not a hint of bearing issue. I wonder if my experience is
> very normal? I do clean the bike and lube it but I am not a junkie that
> cleans and shines it after ever ride for sure. I only periodically do a
> deep cleaning like today about 3 times a year.
>
> The brakes are great I did pull them and completely clean them I don't do
> that too often maybe 2 times a year. The brake cables are years old not
> sure but look fine exposed of course. Original FD but I did upgrade the
> rear RD to a Shimano R8000 about 19 months ago. The 6800 was fine but I
> like the way the 8000-mechanism works much better.
>
> I put a new headset in 2 years ago the original Richey WCS external cup
> the bearings went bad. I just put a new one about same price a just
> bearings, and then used Marine Grease. Been through some chains for sure
> and cassettes but at least old cassettes still are good. I just changed
> gears and decided to switch.
>
> I hear stories of frame and component issues all the time and I am either
> just lucky or not hard on the bike. In any case happy new year to the group.
> Deacon Mark

I have gone through wheels on my gravel bike, which isn’t surprising
really! Ie cheap Original parts so no surprise really, I find the head set
and bottom bracket last for years normally certainly a good few!

Same with shifters and so on, as long as kept generally clean and used
stuff seems to last.

Most of my stuff has been upgraded for example brakes which I could pass on
down the food chain and various local charities will take working bits!

I generally replace gears and tires most other stuff last years!

Roger Merriman

Re: It has lasted well

<fea4rh1svj328eu58gn9om7r5vjjtki904@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71748&group=rec.bicycles.tech#71748

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 07:52:02 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 00:52 UTC

On Mon, 2 Jan 2023 00:31:12 -0000 (UTC), Roger Merriman
<roger@sarlet.com> wrote:

>Mark Cleary <deaconmjc08@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The arctic cold disappeared from the midwest and the last 3 days quite
>> nice for riding. However, a bit rainy so decided to clean my Habanero TI
>> up and lube things again. It has Shimano 6800 and I would say the bike
>> has at least 45,000 miles on it since March of 2017.
>>
>> I have the same original shifters they smooth and do not miss any shifts.
>> I have the same original BB and I have never done a thing to it or
>> serviced it. I notice the cranks today on the stand with chain off spin
>> like a top, not a hint of bearing issue. I wonder if my experience is
>> very normal? I do clean the bike and lube it but I am not a junkie that
>> cleans and shines it after ever ride for sure. I only periodically do a
>> deep cleaning like today about 3 times a year.
>>
>> The brakes are great I did pull them and completely clean them I don't do
>> that too often maybe 2 times a year. The brake cables are years old not
>> sure but look fine exposed of course. Original FD but I did upgrade the
>> rear RD to a Shimano R8000 about 19 months ago. The 6800 was fine but I
>> like the way the 8000-mechanism works much better.
>>
>> I put a new headset in 2 years ago the original Richey WCS external cup
>> the bearings went bad. I just put a new one about same price a just
>> bearings, and then used Marine Grease. Been through some chains for sure
>> and cassettes but at least old cassettes still are good. I just changed
>> gears and decided to switch.
>>
>> I hear stories of frame and component issues all the time and I am either
>> just lucky or not hard on the bike. In any case happy new year to the group.
>> Deacon Mark
>>

>I have gone through wheels on my gravel bike, which isn’t surprising
>really! Ie cheap Original parts so no surprise really, I find the head set
>and bottom bracket last for years normally certainly a good few!
>
>Same with shifters and so on, as long as kept generally clean and used
>stuff seems to last.
>
>Most of my stuff has been upgraded for example brakes which I could pass on
>down the food chain and various local charities will take working bits!
>
>I generally replace gears and tires most other stuff last years!
>
>Roger Merriman

Years ago I had a spoke break on an exotic set of aluminum wheels and
to get back on the road quickly I went down to my local bike shop and
bought a set of the cheapest Shimano wheels that they had. And years
later, they are still on the bike :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: It has lasted well

<toueqi$1o6b0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71793&group=rec.bicycles.tech#71793

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 11:22:58 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:0aKvPxd+RGf9HZWitnp9ryLRitI=
 by: Roger Merriman - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 11:22 UTC

John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jan 2023 00:31:12 -0000 (UTC), Roger Merriman
> <roger@sarlet.com> wrote:
>
>> Mark Cleary <deaconmjc08@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The arctic cold disappeared from the midwest and the last 3 days quite
>>> nice for riding. However, a bit rainy so decided to clean my Habanero TI
>>> up and lube things again. It has Shimano 6800 and I would say the bike
>>> has at least 45,000 miles on it since March of 2017.
>>>
>>> I have the same original shifters they smooth and do not miss any shifts.
>>> I have the same original BB and I have never done a thing to it or
>>> serviced it. I notice the cranks today on the stand with chain off spin
>>> like a top, not a hint of bearing issue. I wonder if my experience is
>>> very normal? I do clean the bike and lube it but I am not a junkie that
>>> cleans and shines it after ever ride for sure. I only periodically do a
>>> deep cleaning like today about 3 times a year.
>>>
>>> The brakes are great I did pull them and completely clean them I don't do
>>> that too often maybe 2 times a year. The brake cables are years old not
>>> sure but look fine exposed of course. Original FD but I did upgrade the
>>> rear RD to a Shimano R8000 about 19 months ago. The 6800 was fine but I
>>> like the way the 8000-mechanism works much better.
>>>
>>> I put a new headset in 2 years ago the original Richey WCS external cup
>>> the bearings went bad. I just put a new one about same price a just
>>> bearings, and then used Marine Grease. Been through some chains for sure
>>> and cassettes but at least old cassettes still are good. I just changed
>>> gears and decided to switch.
>>>
>>> I hear stories of frame and component issues all the time and I am either
>>> just lucky or not hard on the bike. In any case happy new year to the group.
>>> Deacon Mark
>>>

>> I have gone through wheels on my gravel bike, which isn’t surprising
>> really! Ie cheap Original parts so no surprise really, I find the head set
>> and bottom bracket last for years normally certainly a good few!
>>
>> Same with shifters and so on, as long as kept generally clean and used
>> stuff seems to last.
>>
>> Most of my stuff has been upgraded for example brakes which I could pass on
>> down the food chain and various local charities will take working bits!
>>
>> I generally replace gears and tires most other stuff last years!
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>
> Years ago I had a spoke break on an exotic set of aluminum wheels and
> to get back on the road quickly I went down to my local bike shop and
> bought a set of the cheapest Shimano wheels that they had. And years
> later, they are still on the bike :-)

I have cheap stuff no name stuff on the commute bike which seems fine, and
they last years and many thousands of miles.

And I’m still on the OEM wheels on the MTB, but the Gravel bike is harder
on them and hence I bought it some Hunt Gravel wheels plus moved to
tubeless.

Roger Merriman