Dijkstra probably hates me. -- Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c

tech / sci.math / Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

SubjectAuthor
* An Open Challenge to John GabrielDarius Blackcloud
+* Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielChris M. Thomasson
|`* Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielChris M. Thomasson
| `* Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielEram semper recta
|  `* Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielChris M. Thomasson
|   `* Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielEram semper recta
|    `- Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielChris M. Thomasson
+* Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielSergio
|`* Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielChris M. Thomasson
| `- Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielChris M. Thomasson
+- Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielDan Christensen
+* Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielChris M. Thomasson
|+* Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabrielmitchr...@gmail.com
||`- Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielChris M. Thomasson
|`* Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielSergio
| +* Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielChris M. Thomasson
| |`* Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielSergio
| | `- Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielChris M. Thomasson
| `- Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielChris M. Thomasson
+* Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielRoss A. Finlayson
|`- Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielCash Bornhoft
+* Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielEram semper recta
|`* Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielChris M. Thomasson
| `* Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielEram semper recta
|  +* STUDENTS BEWARE: Don't be a victim of JG's fake mathDan Christensen
|  |`* STUDENTS BEWARE: Dan Christensen is a vicious spamming troll and hasEram semper recta
|  | `* STUDENTS BEWARE: Don't be a victim of JG's fake mathDan Christensen
|  |  `* STUDENTS BEWARE: Dan Christensen is a vicious spamming troll and hasEram semper recta
|  |   `- STUDENTS BEWARE: Don't be a victim of JG's fake mathDan Christensen
|  `- Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielChris M. Thomasson
`* Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielEram semper recta
 `* Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielEram semper recta
  `- Re: An Open Challenge to John GabrielUètovaný Wattù

Pages:12
An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<a844b6ba-3826-4d90-a2e7-1aa20d631ad5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71818&group=sci.math#71818

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 14:29:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel
From: blackops...@gmail.com (Darius Blackcloud)
 by: Darius Blackcloud - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 21:29 UTC

Hello all. I have been following some of the threads on this group for some time now, and have decided that I want to issue an open challenge to the "Greatest Mathematician of All Time." Surely in his years of education and debate with mainstream academia, he should be able to answer two questions I have. Two very simple ones, mind you. But first, some background.

John Gabriel adheres to some form of mathematical platonism. That is, he believes there exist concepts outside of thinking minds, and some of these concepts are mathematical objects that we formalize into a system of mathematics. He can correct me if I am wrong. The details are not relevant. My first challenge to John Gabriel is a formal proof of the existence of mind independent concepts. I have yet to encounter such a proof, seeing as I am still a physicalist. If John fails to prove the existence of mind independent concepts, his platonist view collapses, as well as the notion of "well formed concepts" and "perfect platonic form."

My second challenge regards the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Per the FTA, any polynomial equation has the number of roots that is equal to the highest power of the equation. So the equation x^2 - 1 = 0 has two roots, +1 and -1. My challenge to John is to tell me how many roots the equation x^2 + 9 = 0 have. If he adheres to the FTA, he must answer to. Which begins my next challenge: what are they? He rejects the existence of complex numbers. If he didn't, the solutions would be 3i and -3i. But since he doesn't, what does he believe the roots are?

That will be all for today. It is open to all those who wish to respond.

tl;dr - a challenge to John Gabriel to prove the existence of mind independent concepts and to find the roots of x^2 + 9 = 0

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<sfk3e2$1rr7$8@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71840&group=sci.math#71840

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Subject: Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 16:00:16 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 23:00 UTC

On 8/18/2021 2:29 PM, Darius Blackcloud wrote:
> Hello all. I have been following some of the threads on this group for some time now, and have decided that I want to issue an open challenge to the "Greatest Mathematician of All Time." Surely in his years of education and debate with mainstream academia, he should be able to answer two questions I have. Two very simple ones, mind you. But first, some background.
>
> John Gabriel adheres to some form of mathematical platonism. That is, he believes there exist concepts outside of thinking minds, and some of these concepts are mathematical objects that we formalize into a system of mathematics. He can correct me if I am wrong. The details are not relevant. My first challenge to John Gabriel is a formal proof of the existence of mind independent concepts. I have yet to encounter such a proof, seeing as I am still a physicalist. If John fails to prove the existence of mind independent concepts, his platonist view collapses, as well as the notion of "well formed concepts" and "perfect platonic form."
>
> My second challenge regards the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Per the FTA, any polynomial equation has the number of roots that is equal to the highest power of the equation. So the equation x^2 - 1 = 0 has two roots, +1 and -1. My challenge to John is to tell me how many roots the equation x^2 + 9 = 0 have. If he adheres to the FTA, he must answer to. Which begins my next challenge: what are they? He rejects the existence of complex numbers. If he didn't, the solutions would be 3i and -3i. But since he doesn't, what does he believe the roots are?
>
> That will be all for today. It is open to all those who wish to respond.
>
> tl;dr - a challenge to John Gabriel to prove the existence of mind independent concepts and to find the roots of x^2 + 9 = 0

He does not seem to know right from left.

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<sfkbik$ih0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71851&group=sci.math#71851

From: inva...@invalid.com (Sergio)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 20:19:15 -0500
 by: Sergio - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 01:19 UTC

On 8/18/2021 4:29 PM, Darius Blackcloud wrote:
> Hello all. I have been following some of the threads on this group for some time now, and have decided that I want to issue an open challenge to the "Greatest Mathematician of All Time." Surely in his years of education and debate with mainstream academia, he should be able to answer two questions I have. Two very simple ones, mind you. But first, some background.
>
> John Gabriel adheres to some form of mathematical platonism. That is, he believes there exist concepts outside of thinking minds, and some of these concepts are mathematical objects that we formalize into a system of mathematics. He can correct me if I am wrong. The details are not relevant. My first challenge to John Gabriel is a formal proof of the existence of mind independent concepts. I have yet to encounter such a proof, seeing as I am still a physicalist. If John fails to prove the existence of mind independent concepts, his platonist view collapses, as well as the notion of "well formed concepts" and "perfect platonic form."
>
> My second challenge regards the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Per the FTA, any polynomial equation has the number of roots that is equal to the highest power of the equation. So the equation x^2 - 1 = 0 has two roots, +1 and -1. My challenge to John is to tell me how many roots the equation x^2 + 9 = 0 have. If he adheres to the FTA, he must answer to. Which begins my next challenge: what are they? He rejects the existence of complex numbers. If he didn't, the solutions would be 3i and -3i. But since he doesn't, what does he believe the roots are?
>
> That will be all for today. It is open to all those who wish to respond.
>
> tl;dr - a challenge to John Gabriel to prove the existence of mind independent concepts and to find the roots of x^2 + 9 = 0

(HINT!) x^2 + 9 = 0

move 9 and the + to the other side

x^2 = 0 + 9

Add 9 + 0 = 9

or

x^2 = 9

Move the ^ 2 to the other side

x = 9 ^ 2

now double the 9, (that is what the 2 does)

x = ( 9 ) ^ 2 = ( 9 + 9 )

x = 18

ANSWER!!!

wait, you gotta add the 1 and the 8

x = 18 = 1 + 8 = 9

So the Real answer is

x = 9

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<47fef83d-e628-465f-abdc-74cb6e65dc5en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71853&group=sci.math#71853

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 19:09:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dan_Chri...@sympatico.ca (Dan Christensen)
 by: Dan Christensen - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 02:09 UTC

On Wednesday, August 18, 2021 at 5:29:58 PM UTC-4, Darius Blackcloud wrote:
> Hello all. I have been following some of the threads on this group for some time now, and have decided that I want to issue an open challenge to the "Greatest Mathematician of All Time." Surely in his years of education and debate with mainstream academia, he should be able to answer two questions I have. Two very simple ones, mind you. But first, some background.
>
> John Gabriel adheres to some form of mathematical platonism. That is, he believes there exist concepts outside of thinking minds, and some of these concepts are mathematical objects that we formalize into a system of mathematics. He can correct me if I am wrong. The details are not relevant. My first challenge to John Gabriel is a formal proof of the existence of mind independent concepts. I have yet to encounter such a proof, seeing as I am still a physicalist. If John fails to prove the existence of mind independent concepts, his platonist view collapses, as well as the notion of "well formed concepts" and "perfect platonic form."
>
> My second challenge regards the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Per the FTA, any polynomial equation has the number of roots that is equal to the highest power of the equation. So the equation x^2 - 1 = 0 has two roots, +1 and -1. My challenge to John is to tell me how many roots the equation x^2 + 9 = 0 have. If he adheres to the FTA, he must answer to. Which begins my next challenge: what are they? He rejects the existence of complex numbers. If he didn't, the solutions would be 3i and -3i. But since he doesn't, what does he believe the roots are?

Don't hold your breath. This self-styled "Greatest Mathematician Ever" cannot establish even the most elementary results of basic arithmetic in his goofy little system, not even 2+2=4.

Dan

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<sfkkt8$1cnn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71860&group=sci.math#71860

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 20:58:31 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 03:58 UTC

On 8/18/2021 6:19 PM, Sergio wrote:
> On 8/18/2021 4:29 PM, Darius Blackcloud wrote:
>> Hello all. I have been following some of the threads on this group for some time now, and have decided that I want to issue an open challenge to the "Greatest Mathematician of All Time." Surely in his years of education and debate with mainstream academia, he should be able to answer two questions I have. Two very simple ones, mind you. But first, some background.
>>
>> John Gabriel adheres to some form of mathematical platonism. That is, he believes there exist concepts outside of thinking minds, and some of these concepts are mathematical objects that we formalize into a system of mathematics. He can correct me if I am wrong. The details are not relevant. My first challenge to John Gabriel is a formal proof of the existence of mind independent concepts. I have yet to encounter such a proof, seeing as I am still a physicalist. If John fails to prove the existence of mind independent concepts, his platonist view collapses, as well as the notion of "well formed concepts" and "perfect platonic form."
>>
>> My second challenge regards the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Per the FTA, any polynomial equation has the number of roots that is equal to the highest power of the equation. So the equation x^2 - 1 = 0 has two roots, +1 and -1. My challenge to John is to tell me how many roots the equation x^2 + 9 = 0 have. If he adheres to the FTA, he must answer to. Which begins my next challenge: what are they? He rejects the existence of complex numbers. If he didn't, the solutions would be 3i and -3i. But since he doesn't, what does he believe the roots are?
>>
>> That will be all for today. It is open to all those who wish to respond.
>>
>> tl;dr - a challenge to John Gabriel to prove the existence of mind independent concepts and to find the roots of x^2 + 9 = 0
>>

> (HINT!) x^2 + 9 = 0
>
> move 9 and the + to the other side
>
> x^2 = 0 + 9
>
> Add 9 + 0 = 9
>
> or
>
> x^2 = 9
>
> Move the ^ 2 to the other side
>
> x = 9 ^ 2
>
> now double the 9, (that is what the 2 does)
>
> x = ( 9 ) ^ 2 = ( 9 + 9 )
>
> x = 18
>
> ANSWER!!!
>
> wait, you gotta add the 1 and the 8
>
> x = 18 = 1 + 8 = 9
>
> So the Real answer is
>
> x = 9

(0-3i)^2 + 9 = 0
(0+3i)^2 + 9 = 0

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<sfkl8a$1gh4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=71861&group=sci.math#71861

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 21:04:26 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 04:04 UTC

{
ct_complex z0 = { 0, -3 };
ct_complex z1 = { 0, 3 };

ct_complex a0 = z0 * z0 + 9.;
ct_complex a1 = z1 * z1 + 9.;

std::cout << a0 << "\n" << a1 << "\n";
}

(0,-0)
(0,0)

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<sfmlem$bq8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72040&group=sci.math#72040

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 15:20:06 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:20 UTC

On 8/18/2021 2:29 PM, Darius Blackcloud wrote:
> Hello all. I have been following some of the threads on this group for some time now, and have decided that I want to issue an open challenge to the "Greatest Mathematician of All Time." Surely in his years of education and debate with mainstream academia, he should be able to answer two questions I have. Two very simple ones, mind you. But first, some background.
>
> John Gabriel adheres to some form of mathematical platonism. That is, he believes there exist concepts outside of thinking minds, and some of these concepts are mathematical objects that we formalize into a system of mathematics. He can correct me if I am wrong. The details are not relevant. My first challenge to John Gabriel is a formal proof of the existence of mind independent concepts. I have yet to encounter such a proof, seeing as I am still a physicalist. If John fails to prove the existence of mind independent concepts, his platonist view collapses, as well as the notion of "well formed concepts" and "perfect platonic form."
>
> My second challenge regards the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Per the FTA, any polynomial equation has the number of roots that is equal to the highest power of the equation. So the equation x^2 - 1 = 0 has two roots, +1 and -1. My challenge to John is to tell me how many roots the equation x^2 + 9 = 0 have. If he adheres to the FTA, he must answer to. Which begins my next challenge: what are they? He rejects the existence of complex numbers. If he didn't, the solutions would be 3i and -3i. But since he doesn't, what does he believe the roots are?
>
> That will be all for today. It is open to all those who wish to respond.
>
> tl;dr - a challenge to John Gabriel to prove the existence of mind independent concepts and to find the roots of x^2 + 9 = 0

x^2 + 9 = 0

x^2 = -9

The first solution is the sqrt of -9. The second one can be obtained by
negating the first solution so, -sqrt(-9).

Therefore, the two roots are:

(0+3i)^2 + 9 = 0
(0-3i)^2 + 9 = 0

Did I miss something?

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<7edc3691-6578-4da7-8da5-af489ae6dd92n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72041&group=sci.math#72041

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 15:33:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: mitchrae...@gmail.com (mitchr...@gmail.com)
 by: mitchr...@gmail.com - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:33 UTC

On Thursday, August 19, 2021 at 3:20:16 PM UTC-7, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
> On 8/18/2021 2:29 PM, Darius Blackcloud wrote:
> > Hello all. I have been following some of the threads on this group for some time now, and have decided that I want to issue an open challenge to the "Greatest Mathematician of All Time." Surely in his years of education and debate with mainstream academia, he should be able to answer two questions I have. Two very simple ones, mind you. But first, some background.
> >
> > John Gabriel adheres to some form of mathematical platonism. That is, he believes there exist concepts outside of thinking minds, and some of these concepts are mathematical objects that we formalize into a system of mathematics. He can correct me if I am wrong. The details are not relevant. My first challenge to John Gabriel is a formal proof of the existence of mind independent concepts. I have yet to encounter such a proof, seeing as I am still a physicalist. If John fails to prove the existence of mind independent concepts, his platonist view collapses, as well as the notion of "well formed concepts" and "perfect platonic form."
> >
> > My second challenge regards the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Per the FTA, any polynomial equation has the number of roots that is equal to the highest power of the equation. So the equation x^2 - 1 = 0 has two roots, +1 and -1. My challenge to John is to tell me how many roots the equation x^2 + 9 = 0 have. If he adheres to the FTA, he must answer to. Which begins my next challenge: what are they? He rejects the existence of complex numbers. If he didn't, the solutions would be 3i and -3i. But since he doesn't, what does he believe the roots are?
> >
> > That will be all for today. It is open to all those who wish to respond..
> >
> > tl;dr - a challenge to John Gabriel to prove the existence of mind independent concepts and to find the roots of x^2 + 9 = 0
> >

> x^2 + 9 = 0
> x^2 = -9
>
> The first solution is the sqrt of -9. The second one can be obtained by
> negating the first solution so, -sqrt(-9).
>
> Therefore, the two roots are:
> (0+3i)^2 + 9 = 0
> (0-3i)^2 + 9 = 0
> Did I miss something?

Yeah... your math is just imaginary...

Mitchell Raemsch

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<sfmn5g$rre$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72044&group=sci.math#72044

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 15:49:21 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 22:49 UTC

On 8/19/2021 3:33 PM, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, August 19, 2021 at 3:20:16 PM UTC-7, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
>> On 8/18/2021 2:29 PM, Darius Blackcloud wrote:
>>> Hello all. I have been following some of the threads on this group for some time now, and have decided that I want to issue an open challenge to the "Greatest Mathematician of All Time." Surely in his years of education and debate with mainstream academia, he should be able to answer two questions I have. Two very simple ones, mind you. But first, some background.
>>>
>>> John Gabriel adheres to some form of mathematical platonism. That is, he believes there exist concepts outside of thinking minds, and some of these concepts are mathematical objects that we formalize into a system of mathematics. He can correct me if I am wrong. The details are not relevant. My first challenge to John Gabriel is a formal proof of the existence of mind independent concepts. I have yet to encounter such a proof, seeing as I am still a physicalist. If John fails to prove the existence of mind independent concepts, his platonist view collapses, as well as the notion of "well formed concepts" and "perfect platonic form."
>>>
>>> My second challenge regards the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Per the FTA, any polynomial equation has the number of roots that is equal to the highest power of the equation. So the equation x^2 - 1 = 0 has two roots, +1 and -1. My challenge to John is to tell me how many roots the equation x^2 + 9 = 0 have. If he adheres to the FTA, he must answer to. Which begins my next challenge: what are they? He rejects the existence of complex numbers. If he didn't, the solutions would be 3i and -3i. But since he doesn't, what does he believe the roots are?
>>>
>>> That will be all for today. It is open to all those who wish to respond.
>>>
>>> tl;dr - a challenge to John Gabriel to prove the existence of mind independent concepts and to find the roots of x^2 + 9 = 0
>>>

>> x^2 + 9 = 0
>> x^2 = -9
>>
>> The first solution is the sqrt of -9. The second one can be obtained by
>> negating the first solution so, -sqrt(-9).
>>
>> Therefore, the two roots are:
>> (0+3i)^2 + 9 = 0
>> (0-3i)^2 + 9 = 0
>> Did I miss something?
>
> Yeah... your math is just imaginary...

So, how do you answer the question of finding the two roots of:

x^2 + 9 = 0

?

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<sfmo42$17h6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72049&group=sci.math#72049

From: inva...@invalid.com (Sergio)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 18:05:37 -0500
 by: Sergio - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 23:05 UTC

On 8/19/2021 5:20 PM, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
> On 8/18/2021 2:29 PM, Darius Blackcloud wrote:
>> Hello all. I have been following some of the threads on this group for some time now, and have decided that I want to issue an open challenge to the
>> "Greatest Mathematician of All Time." Surely in his years of education and debate with mainstream academia, he should be able to answer two questions
>> I have. Two very simple ones, mind you. But first, some background.
>>
>> John Gabriel adheres to some form of mathematical platonism. That is, he believes there exist concepts outside of thinking minds, and some of these
>> concepts are mathematical objects that we formalize into a system of mathematics. He can correct me if I am wrong. The details are not relevant. My
>> first challenge to John Gabriel is a formal proof of the existence of mind independent concepts. I have yet to encounter such a proof, seeing as I am
>> still a physicalist. If John fails to prove the existence of mind independent concepts, his platonist view collapses, as well as the notion of "well
>> formed concepts" and "perfect platonic form."
>>
>> My second challenge regards the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Per the FTA, any polynomial equation has the number of roots that is equal to the
>> highest power of the equation. So the equation x^2 - 1 = 0 has two roots, +1 and -1. My challenge to John is to tell me how many roots the equation
>> x^2 + 9 = 0 have. If he adheres to the FTA, he must answer to. Which begins my next challenge: what are they? He rejects the existence of complex
>> numbers. If he didn't, the solutions would be 3i and -3i. But since he doesn't, what does he believe the roots are?
>>
>> That will be all for today. It is open to all those who wish to respond.
>>
>> tl;dr - a challenge to John Gabriel to prove the existence of mind independent concepts and to find the roots of x^2 + 9 = 0
>>

> x^2 + 9 = 0
>
> x^2 = -9
>
> The first solution is the sqrt of -9. The second one can be obtained by negating the first solution so, -sqrt(-9).
>
> Therefore, the two roots are:
>
> (0+3i)^2 + 9 = 0
> (0-3i)^2 + 9 = 0
>
> Did I miss something?

(0+3i)^2 + 9 = 0

0^2 + 2*3i + (3i)^2 = 0

divide through by 0

0^2/0 + 2*3i/0 + (3i)^2/0 = 0/0

0 + 6*i/0 + 3^2*i^2/0 = 1

i^2 = -1, move 0 to right side

6*i/0 + 3^2*i^2/0 = 1 - 0

so conbining terns,

1/0*(6*i + 3^2*i^2) = 1

i^2 = -1

1/0*(6*i -3^2 ) = 1

move-um 0 to right side

1 *(6*i -3^2 ) = 1 * 0

remove pesky 1 from both sides

(6*i -3^2 ) = 0

or

6*i = 3^2

so i = 9/6

losea 3

i = 3/2 !! ANSWER !!

Students Extra credit, how many and where did make mistake ?

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<sfn5gr$1a3m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72076&group=sci.math#72076

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 19:54:19 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 02:54 UTC

On 8/19/2021 4:05 PM, Sergio wrote:
> On 8/19/2021 5:20 PM, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
>> On 8/18/2021 2:29 PM, Darius Blackcloud wrote:
>>> Hello all. I have been following some of the threads on this group for some time now, and have decided that I want to issue an open challenge to the
>>> "Greatest Mathematician of All Time." Surely in his years of education and debate with mainstream academia, he should be able to answer two questions
>>> I have. Two very simple ones, mind you. But first, some background.
>>>
>>> John Gabriel adheres to some form of mathematical platonism. That is, he believes there exist concepts outside of thinking minds, and some of these
>>> concepts are mathematical objects that we formalize into a system of mathematics. He can correct me if I am wrong. The details are not relevant. My
>>> first challenge to John Gabriel is a formal proof of the existence of mind independent concepts. I have yet to encounter such a proof, seeing as I am
>>> still a physicalist. If John fails to prove the existence of mind independent concepts, his platonist view collapses, as well as the notion of "well
>>> formed concepts" and "perfect platonic form."
>>>
>>> My second challenge regards the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Per the FTA, any polynomial equation has the number of roots that is equal to the
>>> highest power of the equation. So the equation x^2 - 1 = 0 has two roots, +1 and -1. My challenge to John is to tell me how many roots the equation
>>> x^2 + 9 = 0 have. If he adheres to the FTA, he must answer to. Which begins my next challenge: what are they? He rejects the existence of complex
>>> numbers. If he didn't, the solutions would be 3i and -3i. But since he doesn't, what does he believe the roots are?
>>>
>>> That will be all for today. It is open to all those who wish to respond.
>>>
>>> tl;dr - a challenge to John Gabriel to prove the existence of mind independent concepts and to find the roots of x^2 + 9 = 0
>>>

>> x^2 + 9 = 0
>>
>> x^2 = -9
>>
>> The first solution is the sqrt of -9. The second one can be obtained by negating the first solution so, -sqrt(-9).
>>
>> Therefore, the two roots are:
>>
>> (0+3i)^2 + 9 = 0
>> (0-3i)^2 + 9 = 0
>>
>> Did I miss something?
>

> (0+3i)^2 + 9 = 0
>
> 0^2 + 2*3i + (3i)^2 = 0
[...]

What about:

0^2 + 2*3i + (3i)^2 = -9 + 6 i

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<958b5f32-ecca-4f46-af28-0a68d47b72aen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72099&group=sci.math#72099

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 23:59:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: ross.fin...@gmail.com (Ross A. Finlayson)
 by: Ross A. Finlayson - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 06:59 UTC

On Wednesday, August 18, 2021 at 2:29:58 PM UTC-7, Darius Blackcloud wrote:
> Hello all. I have been following some of the threads on this group for some time now, and have decided that I want to issue an open challenge to the "Greatest Mathematician of All Time." Surely in his years of education and debate with mainstream academia, he should be able to answer two questions I have. Two very simple ones, mind you. But first, some background.
>
> John Gabriel adheres to some form of mathematical platonism. That is, he believes there exist concepts outside of thinking minds, and some of these concepts are mathematical objects that we formalize into a system of mathematics. He can correct me if I am wrong. The details are not relevant. My first challenge to John Gabriel is a formal proof of the existence of mind independent concepts. I have yet to encounter such a proof, seeing as I am still a physicalist. If John fails to prove the existence of mind independent concepts, his platonist view collapses, as well as the notion of "well formed concepts" and "perfect platonic form."
>
> My second challenge regards the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Per the FTA, any polynomial equation has the number of roots that is equal to the highest power of the equation. So the equation x^2 - 1 = 0 has two roots, +1 and -1. My challenge to John is to tell me how many roots the equation x^2 + 9 = 0 have. If he adheres to the FTA, he must answer to. Which begins my next challenge: what are they? He rejects the existence of complex numbers. If he didn't, the solutions would be 3i and -3i. But since he doesn't, what does he believe the roots are?
>
> That will be all for today. It is open to all those who wish to respond.
>
> tl;dr - a challenge to John Gabriel to prove the existence of mind independent concepts and to find the roots of x^2 + 9 = 0

Nice, soon you will be "world's greatest mathematician".

Who is Maplev in Ontario.

The roots have what roots , what are further roots.

in x^2+b = 0, b is a constant, here that for small quantities
of x, x^2 ~ b, while, for large quantities of x, x^2 + b ~ x^2.

So, the root looks like x for large x, and, root 2 x for small x,
for x = 0.

For usually the monomials and x+1 x-1 making x^2 - 1,
basically close to x while x+b x-b for large b makes 0
or -b^2, is that its value as a power and a root the input,
or parameter, has systems what exist that under the transforms,
the constants run out, reducing the problems to roots
in reducing the problems to constants.

The fundamental theorem of algebra, in real coefficients,
that there are as many roots as the highest order of the monomial
or polynomial, solutions settings it to zero, vis-a-vis the roots
the roots of the powers in the values, that the n'th root of x^n is x.

It might make for the sign convention and complex, that,
i^2 =-1, just power in signs besides that multiplication
results that -b * -b is always positive, that there are no
non-complex values x that x^2 = -b for positive b,
is for a different algebra than the usual algebra of course,
what makes an example of another explanation of a structure
what supports the space of roots of the fundamental theorem
of algebra.

(Besides the complex plane for example.)

There aren't, you know, more roots....

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<sfnq3t$1ul5$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72100&group=sci.math#72100

From: weo...@xzcnva.cc (Cash Bornhoft)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 08:45:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Cash Bornhoft - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 08:45 UTC

Ross A. Finlayson wrote:

>> tl;dr - a challenge to John Gabriel to prove the existence of mind
>> independent concepts and to find the roots of x^2 + 9 = 0
>
> Nice, soon you will be "world's greatest mathematician".
> Who is Maplev in Ontario.

not crazy.

US promises NOT to charge Americans to fly out of Afghanistan after
report of ‘$2,000 repatriation fee’ triggers outrage
https://on.rt.com/bex0

Anti-war activists mock CNN as it cries over $1 trillion worth of
‘desperately needed’ minerals left behind in Afghanistan
https://on.rt.com/bew7

meanwhile

Russia to pump 5.6 billion cubic meters of natural gas through Nord
Stream 2 pipeline in 2021 – Gazprom https://on.rt.com/bev9

and

Taliban’s return to power in Afghanistan is ‘moral victory of Islamism
over the West’ – top Merkel ally

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<sfp0ee$auj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72162&group=sci.math#72162

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 12:39:59 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 19:39 UTC

On 8/18/2021 4:00 PM, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
> On 8/18/2021 2:29 PM, Darius Blackcloud wrote:
>> Hello all. I have been following some of the threads on this group for
>> some time now, and have decided that I want to issue an open challenge
>> to the "Greatest Mathematician of All Time." Surely in his years of
>> education and debate with mainstream academia, he should be able to
>> answer two questions I have. Two very simple ones, mind you. But
>> first, some background.
>>
>> John Gabriel adheres to some form of mathematical platonism. That is,
>> he believes there exist concepts outside of thinking minds, and some
>> of these concepts are mathematical objects that we formalize into a
>> system of mathematics. He can correct me if I am wrong. The details
>> are not relevant. My first challenge to John Gabriel is a formal proof
>> of the existence of mind independent concepts. I have yet to encounter
>> such a proof, seeing as I am still a physicalist. If John fails to
>> prove the existence of mind independent concepts, his platonist view
>> collapses, as well as the notion of "well formed concepts" and
>> "perfect platonic form."
>>
>> My second challenge regards the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Per
>> the FTA, any polynomial equation has the number of roots that is equal
>> to the highest power of the equation. So the equation x^2 - 1 = 0 has
>> two roots, +1 and -1. My challenge to John is to tell me how many
>> roots the equation x^2 + 9 = 0 have. If he adheres to the FTA, he must
>> answer to. Which begins my next challenge: what are they? He rejects
>> the existence of complex numbers. If he didn't, the solutions would be
>> 3i and -3i. But since he doesn't, what does he believe the roots are?
>>
>> That will be all for today. It is open to all those who wish to respond.
>>
>> tl;dr - a challenge to John Gabriel to prove the existence of mind
>> independent concepts and to find the roots of x^2 + 9 = 0
>>

> He does not seem to know right from left.

He had mirroring turned on, and I failed to see that. Sorry.

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<sfp0ho$auj$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72164&group=sci.math#72164

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 12:41:45 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 19:41 UTC

i = the point (0, 1)

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<sfp60s$pog$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72173&group=sci.math#72173

From: inva...@invalid.com (Sergio)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 16:15:08 -0500
 by: Sergio - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 21:15 UTC

On 8/19/2021 9:54 PM, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
> On 8/19/2021 4:05 PM, Sergio wrote:

>>> x^2 + 9 = 0
>>>
>>> x^2 = -9
>>>
>>> The first solution is the sqrt of -9. The second one can be obtained by negating the first solution so, -sqrt(-9).
>>>
>>> Therefore, the two roots are:
>>>
>>> (0+3i)^2 + 9 = 0
>>> (0-3i)^2 + 9 = 0>>>
>>> Did I miss something?
>>

>> (0+3i)^2 + 9 = 0
>>
>> 0^2 + 2*3i + (3i)^2 = 0
> [...]
>
> What about:
>
> 0^2 + 2*3i + (3i)^2 = -9 + 6 i

1. (0+3i)^2 + 9 = 0

0^2 + 2*3i + (3i)^2 + 9 = 0

6i - 9 + 9 = 0

6i=0

oh no....!

2. (0-3i)^2 + 9 = 0

0^2 - 2*3i + (-3i)^2 + 9 = 0

-6i - 9 + 9 = 0

-6i = 0

oh no....!

restart:

hmm... x^2+9 = 0

or x^2 = -9

or x = +_ (-9)^(1/2) = +_ i * 3 = + 3i and - 3i

Wait! there are 2 answers! how did that happen?

but only one equation... hmm...

try combine answers to get one answer;

+ 3i * - 3i = -9*i^2 = x

plug in x

(-9*i^2)^2 + 9 = 0

or (-9)^2 * i^2 + 9 = 0
or 81 * -1 + 9 = 0

or 81 = 9 so add on the ^2 cause we multiplied the two answers together

or 81 = 9^2

yes it may be schlock math, but *There Be real equations in scimath*! although wrong, see answer fix up chapter)

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<sfp72t$16ci$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72176&group=sci.math#72176

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 14:33:18 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 21:33 UTC

On 8/20/2021 2:15 PM, Sergio wrote:
> On 8/19/2021 9:54 PM, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:

>>> (0+3i)^2 + 9 = 0
>>>
>>> 0^2 + 2*3i + (3i)^2 = 0
>> [...]
>>
>> What about:
>>
>> 0^2 + 2*3i + (3i)^2 = -9 + 6 i
>

> 1. (0+3i)^2 + 9 = 0
>
> 0^2 + 2*3i + (3i)^2 + 9 = 0
>
> 6i - 9 + 9 = 0
>
> 6i=0
>
> oh no....!
[...]

x^2 + 9 = 0

(0+3i)^2 + 9 = 0
(0-3i)^2 + 9 = 0

The two solutions for x are:

x[0] = (0+3i)
x[1] = (0-3i)

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<c3b6c49e-11d7-43c9-af55-2adb636b6762n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72191&group=sci.math#72191

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 15:55:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: thenewca...@gmail.com (Eram semper recta)
 by: Eram semper recta - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 22:55 UTC

On Wednesday, 18 August 2021 at 17:29:58 UTC-4, Darius Blackcloud wrote:
> Hello all. I have been following some of the threads on this group for some time now, and have decided that I want to issue an open challenge to the "Greatest Mathematician of All Time." Surely in his years of education and debate with mainstream academia, he should be able to answer two questions I have. Two very simple ones, mind you. But first, some background.
>
> John Gabriel adheres to some form of mathematical platonism. That is, he believes there exist concepts outside of thinking minds, and some of these concepts are mathematical objects that we formalize into a system of mathematics. He can correct me if I am wrong. The details are not relevant. My first challenge to John Gabriel is a formal proof of the existence of mind independent concepts. I have yet to encounter such a proof, seeing as I am still a physicalist. If John fails to prove the existence of mind independent concepts, his platonist view collapses, as well as the notion of "well formed concepts" and "perfect platonic form."
>
> My second challenge regards the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Per the FTA, any polynomial equation has the number of roots that is equal to the highest power of the equation. So the equation x^2 - 1 = 0 has two roots, +1 and -1. My challenge to John is to tell me how many roots the equation x^2 + 9 = 0 have. If he adheres to the FTA, he must answer to. Which begins my next challenge: what are they? He rejects the existence of complex numbers. If he didn't, the solutions would be 3i and -3i. But since he doesn't, what does he believe the roots are?
>
> That will be all for today. It is open to all those who wish to respond.
>
> tl;dr - a challenge to John Gabriel to prove the existence of mind independent concepts and to find the roots of x^2 + 9 = 0

1. Proof that noumena are perfect concepts independent of the human mind is very easy. It's done by rational thinking.

The constant pi would be the same no matter who tries to measure a circle's periphery using its diameter as unit of measure.

2. x^2 + 9 = 0

Has no roots or zeroes or solution. In order to have roots, by definition, the curve must meet the x-axis. x^2 + 9 lies entirely above the x-axis, therefore it has no roots.

A root is a point of intersection with the x-axis.

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<9097177b-3a1d-407e-89f0-542a87e9cb13n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72192&group=sci.math#72192

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 15:56:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: thenewca...@gmail.com (Eram semper recta)
 by: Eram semper recta - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 22:56 UTC

On Friday, 20 August 2021 at 15:40:08 UTC-4, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
> On 8/18/2021 4:00 PM, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
> > On 8/18/2021 2:29 PM, Darius Blackcloud wrote:
> >> Hello all. I have been following some of the threads on this group for
> >> some time now, and have decided that I want to issue an open challenge
> >> to the "Greatest Mathematician of All Time." Surely in his years of
> >> education and debate with mainstream academia, he should be able to
> >> answer two questions I have. Two very simple ones, mind you. But
> >> first, some background.
> >>
> >> John Gabriel adheres to some form of mathematical platonism. That is,
> >> he believes there exist concepts outside of thinking minds, and some
> >> of these concepts are mathematical objects that we formalize into a
> >> system of mathematics. He can correct me if I am wrong. The details
> >> are not relevant. My first challenge to John Gabriel is a formal proof
> >> of the existence of mind independent concepts. I have yet to encounter
> >> such a proof, seeing as I am still a physicalist. If John fails to
> >> prove the existence of mind independent concepts, his platonist view
> >> collapses, as well as the notion of "well formed concepts" and
> >> "perfect platonic form."
> >>
> >> My second challenge regards the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Per
> >> the FTA, any polynomial equation has the number of roots that is equal
> >> to the highest power of the equation. So the equation x^2 - 1 = 0 has
> >> two roots, +1 and -1. My challenge to John is to tell me how many
> >> roots the equation x^2 + 9 = 0 have. If he adheres to the FTA, he must
> >> answer to. Which begins my next challenge: what are they? He rejects
> >> the existence of complex numbers. If he didn't, the solutions would be
> >> 3i and -3i. But since he doesn't, what does he believe the roots are?
> >>
> >> That will be all for today. It is open to all those who wish to respond.
> >>
> >> tl;dr - a challenge to John Gabriel to prove the existence of mind
> >> independent concepts and to find the roots of x^2 + 9 = 0
> >>

> > He does not seem to know right from left.
> He had mirroring turned on, and I failed to see that. Sorry.

Nonsense. There is no setting on my software that turns mirroring on or off.

You failed in every respect because you do not understand how cameras or mirrors work. All these things were explained to you.

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<5aa11217-0c2e-4b53-863c-423f4bda749fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72197&group=sci.math#72197

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 16:00:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: thenewca...@gmail.com (Eram semper recta)
 by: Eram semper recta - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 23:00 UTC

On Wednesday, 18 August 2021 at 17:29:58 UTC-4, Darius Blackcloud wrote:
> Hello all. I have been following some of the threads on this group for some time now, and have decided that I want to issue an open challenge to the "Greatest Mathematician of All Time." Surely in his years of education and debate with mainstream academia, he should be able to answer two questions I have. Two very simple ones, mind you. But first, some background.
>
> John Gabriel adheres to some form of mathematical platonism. That is, he believes there exist concepts outside of thinking minds, and some of these concepts are mathematical objects that we formalize into a system of mathematics. He can correct me if I am wrong. The details are not relevant. My first challenge to John Gabriel is a formal proof of the existence of mind independent concepts. I have yet to encounter such a proof, seeing as I am still a physicalist. If John fails to prove the existence of mind independent concepts, his platonist view collapses, as well as the notion of "well formed concepts" and "perfect platonic form."
>
> My second challenge regards the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Per the FTA, any polynomial equation has the number of roots that is equal to the highest power of the equation. So the equation x^2 - 1 = 0 has two roots, +1 and -1. My challenge to John is to tell me how many roots the equation x^2 + 9 = 0 have. If he adheres to the FTA, he must answer to. Which begins my next challenge: what are they? He rejects the existence of complex numbers. If he didn't, the solutions would be 3i and -3i. But since he doesn't, what does he believe the roots are?
>
> That will be all for today. It is open to all those who wish to respond.
>
> tl;dr - a challenge to John Gabriel to prove the existence of mind independent concepts and to find the roots of x^2 + 9 = 0

The FTA can be stated quite easily without the rot of complex numbers:

Any polynomial in n has at most n roots that may be rational numbers or incommensurable magnitudes.

Simple as this.

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<802d4a62-5fda-4531-b4c8-30f84aa99292n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72198&group=sci.math#72198

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 16:04:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: thenewca...@gmail.com (Eram semper recta)
 by: Eram semper recta - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 23:04 UTC

On Friday, 20 August 2021 at 19:02:40 UTC-4, Eram semper recta wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 August 2021 at 17:29:58 UTC-4, Darius Blackcloud wrote:
> > Hello all. I have been following some of the threads on this group for some time now, and have decided that I want to issue an open challenge to the "Greatest Mathematician of All Time." Surely in his years of education and debate with mainstream academia, he should be able to answer two questions I have. Two very simple ones, mind you. But first, some background.
> >
> > John Gabriel adheres to some form of mathematical platonism. That is, he believes there exist concepts outside of thinking minds, and some of these concepts are mathematical objects that we formalize into a system of mathematics. He can correct me if I am wrong. The details are not relevant. My first challenge to John Gabriel is a formal proof of the existence of mind independent concepts. I have yet to encounter such a proof, seeing as I am still a physicalist. If John fails to prove the existence of mind independent concepts, his platonist view collapses, as well as the notion of "well formed concepts" and "perfect platonic form."
> >
> > My second challenge regards the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Per the FTA, any polynomial equation has the number of roots that is equal to the highest power of the equation. So the equation x^2 - 1 = 0 has two roots, +1 and -1. My challenge to John is to tell me how many roots the equation x^2 + 9 = 0 have. If he adheres to the FTA, he must answer to. Which begins my next challenge: what are they? He rejects the existence of complex numbers. If he didn't, the solutions would be 3i and -3i. But since he doesn't, what does he believe the roots are?
> >
> > That will be all for today. It is open to all those who wish to respond..
> >
> > tl;dr - a challenge to John Gabriel to prove the existence of mind independent concepts and to find the roots of x^2 + 9 = 0
> The FTA can be stated quite easily without the rot of complex numbers:
>
> Any polynomial in n has at most n roots that may be rational numbers or incommensurable magnitudes.

The above statement includes no roots at all.

> Simple as this.

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<sfpcrf$10lv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72202&group=sci.math#72202

From: you...@zvcxn.cz (Uètovaný Wattù)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 23:11:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Uètovaný Wattù - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 23:11 UTC

Eram semper recta wrote:

>> > tl;dr - a challenge to John Gabriel to prove the existence of mind
>> > independent concepts and to find the roots of x^2 + 9 = 0
>> The FTA can be stated quite easily without the rot of complex numbers:
>>
>> Any polynomial in n has at most n roots that may be rational numbers or
>> incommensurable magnitudes.
>
> The above statement includes no roots at all.

idiot, cretin, wanker. You are literary a fruitcake.

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<sfpmg6$113j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72213&group=sci.math#72213

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 18:56:23 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 01:56 UTC

On 8/20/2021 3:56 PM, Eram semper recta wrote:
> On Friday, 20 August 2021 at 15:40:08 UTC-4, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:

>>> He does not seem to know right from left.
>> He had mirroring turned on, and I failed to see that. Sorry.
>
> Nonsense. There is no setting on my software that turns mirroring on or off.
>
> You failed in every respect because you do not understand how cameras or mirrors work. All these things were explained to you.

On your video here:

You had mirroring turned on because the patch is over your right eye,
you point at it... And say its on your right eye. The pointing and patch
are over the right hand side of the rendered scene:

https://youtu.be/zxfUn_iAM7U

So, setting or not, it is mirroring you.

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<sfpn2r$18no$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72215&group=sci.math#72215

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 19:06:19 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 02:06 UTC

On 8/20/2021 3:55 PM, Eram semper recta wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 August 2021 at 17:29:58 UTC-4, Darius Blackcloud wrote:
>> Hello all. I have been following some of the threads on this group for some time now, and have decided that I want to issue an open challenge to the "Greatest Mathematician of All Time." Surely in his years of education and debate with mainstream academia, he should be able to answer two questions I have. Two very simple ones, mind you. But first, some background.
>>
>> John Gabriel adheres to some form of mathematical platonism. That is, he believes there exist concepts outside of thinking minds, and some of these concepts are mathematical objects that we formalize into a system of mathematics. He can correct me if I am wrong. The details are not relevant. My first challenge to John Gabriel is a formal proof of the existence of mind independent concepts. I have yet to encounter such a proof, seeing as I am still a physicalist. If John fails to prove the existence of mind independent concepts, his platonist view collapses, as well as the notion of "well formed concepts" and "perfect platonic form."
>>
>> My second challenge regards the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Per the FTA, any polynomial equation has the number of roots that is equal to the highest power of the equation. So the equation x^2 - 1 = 0 has two roots, +1 and -1. My challenge to John is to tell me how many roots the equation x^2 + 9 = 0 have. If he adheres to the FTA, he must answer to. Which begins my next challenge: what are they? He rejects the existence of complex numbers. If he didn't, the solutions would be 3i and -3i. But since he doesn't, what does he believe the roots are?
>>
>> That will be all for today. It is open to all those who wish to respond.
>>
>> tl;dr - a challenge to John Gabriel to prove the existence of mind independent concepts and to find the roots of x^2 + 9 = 0
>
> 1. Proof that noumena are perfect concepts independent of the human mind is very easy. It's done by rational thinking.
>
> The constant pi would be the same no matter who tries to measure a circle's periphery using its diameter as unit of measure.
>
> 2. x^2 + 9 = 0
>
> Has no roots or zeroes or solution. In order to have roots, by definition, the curve must meet the x-axis. x^2 + 9 lies entirely above the x-axis, therefore it has no roots.
>
> A root is a point of intersection with the x-axis.

What about the two roots I found wrt:

x^2 + 9 = 0

x^2 = -9

The first solution is the sqrt of -9. The second one can be obtained by
negating the first solution so, -sqrt(-9).

Therefore, the two roots are:

(0+3i)^2 + 9 = 0
(0-3i)^2 + 9 = 0

Did I miss something?

Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel

<604460d2-4521-46d9-9723-dc46f48ffb77n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72246&group=sci.math#72246

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 06:11:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: thenewca...@gmail.com (Eram semper recta)
 by: Eram semper recta - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 13:11 UTC

On Friday, 20 August 2021 at 21:56:35 UTC-4, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
> On 8/20/2021 3:56 PM, Eram semper recta wrote:

> >> He had mirroring turned on, and I failed to see that. Sorry.
> >
> > Nonsense. There is no setting on my software that turns mirroring on or off.
> >
> > You failed in every respect because you do not understand how cameras or mirrors work. All these things were explained to you.
> >
> On your video here:
>
> You had mirroring turned on because the patch is over your right eye,
> you point at it... And say its on your right eye. The pointing and patch
> are over the right hand side of the rendered scene:
>
> https://youtu.be/zxfUn_iAM7U
>
> So, setting or not, it is mirroring you.

That's what I told you. Now would you shut up about this already!!! FFS.

tech / sci.math / Re: An Open Challenge to John Gabriel