Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 14:46:32 -0800 (PST)
Subject: After Our Next Big Storm
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 22:46 UTC

The hill roads will be so damaged that climbing rides will be limited for most of the year and I will be forced to drive long distances to climb. I expect that Norris canyon will be useless and Crow canyon to Livermore, Altamonte Pass, Carroll Road, Flynn road And back over the 700 ft climb of Dublin Blvd is a 50 mile ride to get any worthwhile climbing in. There is a more local route of Here to Monclair and up Snake Rd in Montclaire. Snake Rd. MAY have gotten off Scott Free since it is all hill houses up to Skyline. I think it unlikely that Tunnel Road survived unharmed from the next storm. But it is a good road to (big) Pinehurst which will have an avalanche near the bottom of the descent since that is the place it always occurs. A bike can normally thread its way through the fallen boulders and then there is a long flat that leads through the tiny town of Canyon and to Valley Rd that leads Moraga. Valley is probably washed out on the Moraga side of the climb, but there is a bike path along which the only dangers would be mud slides off the side of the hills. Mucking through that leads to flat paved roads and off down to Walnut Creek and back along the flats to Dublin Blvd and the climb up over three rises to the top. There is possible mud slides over to a steep descent to Dublin Grade and back again but this route is 45 miles or more and it isn't a winter ride. I have already lost a large part of my climbing legs. Of course there is always Cull Canyon that only has the first 3 of 8 miles that could have a landslide though doubtful since this land was never farmed - the land above it on the almost flats was. The farmed lands has deep loam that can turn to mud and slide But the part of Cull Cayon that was farmed is flat. And since it is a dead end road the pavement is in pretty good condition so neither the road will be washed out or a victim of landslide. And the creek is out on the flats behind the houses that are largely old farmworker and now rental properties or behind the vineyards which have dense roots that the water slides off of and downhill to the creek.

But Cull Canyon from home and back is only 25 miles round trip and 900 feet of climbing. Hardly worth the danger of crossing Crow Canyon Rd. and the steepest climb is only 8%, The climb up to the top of Altamonte Pass is up to 12% but the round trip is long. Would the winter weather cooperate? The last time I tried it started pouring 7 miles from home and by the time I got home there was 1/2" of crude on the bike and it took me two days to recover enough to clean it and it had already started rusting.