Packages should build-depend on what they should build-depend. -- Santiago Vila on debian-devel

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Steel Forks

SubjectAuthor
* Steel ForksTom Kunich
`* Re: Steel ForksTom Kunich
 `* Re: Steel ForksLou Holtman
  `* Re: Steel ForksTom Kunich
   `- Re: Steel ForksTom Kunich

1
Steel Forks

<28b775b8-c14b-47ec-9d8f-ce7ebd6047e8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72171&group=rec.bicycles.tech#72171

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 12:34:46 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Steel Forks
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 20:34 UTC

I have nothing against well made aluminum forks but no one is making them. Two places in China are making ALL of the carbon fiber forks withy a couple of cottage industries making a small amount.

So I've been looking for a good steel fork for my Fondriest steel frame.

Since there is almost nothing I've bought everything from a fork kit to a unicrown fork which I absolutely hate but is better than nothing and finally found a Scapin fork today. This fork is chromed so I won't have to paint it.

?The total cost of all of this junk is less than half of what it would cost to have a Waterford fork made so I can actually ride the bike and see if I like it enough to have a custom fork made.

I looked into the Waterford and while a bare fork is only (ONLY?) $425, in the straight leg chromes version, it would be more like $600. Likewise from Tommasini.

Now while I haven't any problems improving a good bike I have plenty putting money into a bike that may be a stinker. My Tommasini rides very well with a fork that wasn't made properly and is a little long for a 700c wheel. I will eventually get a steel fork custom made from Tommasini. The slightly long fork gives it a little less trail than it needs so it steers well at speed but slower (my speed) it is a little quick steering.

The Basso is too long for me so that will be sold off. The Moser is a great bike but it needs 25 mm tires to fit the fear triangle and that is too narrow for someone 195 lbs.

The Scapin fork is a good fork by a good builder and should give me a good idea of how the bike will ride. Also it appears (from the photos) to have a little more trail than a stock fork would. So that makes it even better for a test platform.

I am trying to grasp this "need for speed" that seems to be presently grasping the sport of cycling. After I couldn't race anymore, I did ride with a couple of people that were fast but I also rode with a couple of people that while not slow were not intent on riding as fast as you could go and I enjoyed their rides more. What's more - the two fast guys no longer ride because it simply hurt too much.

I want to be able to ride fast enough to finish rides in a reasonable time. But I do not need to ride until I have leg cramps for three days. Averaging 11 mph over a metric century is fine with me and at 78 that's good enough..

Re: Steel Forks

<225f0262-6373-4a36-9c8b-54828498cd83n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72479&group=rec.bicycles.tech#72479

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 12:56:39 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Steel Forks
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 20:56 UTC

On Friday, January 6, 2023 at 12:34:48 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I have nothing against well made aluminum forks but no one is making them.. Two places in China are making ALL of the carbon fiber forks withy a couple of cottage industries making a small amount.
>
> So I've been looking for a good steel fork for my Fondriest steel frame.
>
> Since there is almost nothing I've bought everything from a fork kit to a unicrown fork which I absolutely hate but is better than nothing and finally found a Scapin fork today. This fork is chromed so I won't have to paint it.
>
> ?The total cost of all of this junk is less than half of what it would cost to have a Waterford fork made so I can actually ride the bike and see if I like it enough to have a custom fork made.
>
> I looked into the Waterford and while a bare fork is only (ONLY?) $425, in the straight leg chromes version, it would be more like $600. Likewise from Tommasini.
>
> Now while I haven't any problems improving a good bike I have plenty putting money into a bike that may be a stinker. My Tommasini rides very well with a fork that wasn't made properly and is a little long for a 700c wheel. I will eventually get a steel fork custom made from Tommasini. The slightly long fork gives it a little less trail than it needs so it steers well at speed but slower (my speed) it is a little quick steering.
>
> The Basso is too long for me so that will be sold off. The Moser is a great bike but it needs 25 mm tires to fit the fear triangle and that is too narrow for someone 195 lbs.
>
> The Scapin fork is a good fork by a good builder and should give me a good idea of how the bike will ride. Also it appears (from the photos) to have a little more trail than a stock fork would. So that makes it even better for a test platform.
>
> I am trying to grasp this "need for speed" that seems to be presently grasping the sport of cycling. After I couldn't race anymore, I did ride with a couple of people that were fast but I also rode with a couple of people that while not slow were not intent on riding as fast as you could go and I enjoyed their rides more. What's more - the two fast guys no longer ride because it simply hurt too much.
>
> I want to be able to ride fast enough to finish rides in a reasonable time. But I do not need to ride until I have leg cramps for three days. Averaging 11 mph over a metric century is fine with me and at 78 that's good enough.

Digging around in the garage3 I discovered my propane torch and inside the box was also silver braze and flux. I have two bottles of propane and but since Andrew warned me that I couldn't get hot enough I've ordered the modern version of MAPP gas known as MAP gas. I received the parts to make a fork from Harry Havnoonian who if memory serves was a pretty good custom frame builder The crown was a little bit splayed so I put it in the vice and have it down to close to the correct size. I will finish it after I braze and finish the leg lengths and install the fork ends. The Threadless steering post is very long and fits perfectly into the cast fork crown. I am trying to think whether I should chrome the fork or try to paint it similar the rest of the frame.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203968387393?hash=item2f7d769941:g:wdsAAOSw2xRYdTVT&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoPjoX2VAcxfl9y3oC19Zs0927yRJXLzXNg%2BbFuDwf5gOK%2BGy6e2PDLcTeycsj44udct3GQUMZ49dJQWk%2BZ5JqbjNgbUCS0sg6B8U7S%2Fp8CEwIBNXMcwTr5rp0um4SsQ7Z%2F2B7FV8C8BU7wV7IHku7da2fhiLm8c5YkYBkgNefSHaHMlPnoO862n9FuxTZGWLvD9RUduqoN6AGPTFbCmzIz4%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5zupdezYQ

This is a complicated race team pattern but since there are some castings that would have to be finished before chroming it might be better off painting.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Re: Steel Forks

<8188fbfc-5d14-4da0-94a4-850fc2de06d5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72518&group=rec.bicycles.tech#72518

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 06:12:51 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 14:12 UTC

On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 9:56:41 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
> [...]
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/203968387393?hash=item2f7d769941:g:wdsAAOSw2xRYdTVT&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoPjoX2VAcxfl9y3oC19Zs0927yRJXLzXNg%2BbFuDwf5gOK%2BGy6e2PDLcTeycsj44udct3GQUMZ49dJQWk%2BZ5JqbjNgbUCS0sg6B8U7S%2Fp8CEwIBNXMcwTr5rp0um4SsQ7Z%2F2B7FV8C8BU7wV7IHku7da2fhiLm8c5YkYBkgNefSHaHMlPnoO862n9FuxTZGWLvD9RUduqoN6AGPTFbCmzIz4%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5zupdezYQ
>
> This is a complicated race team pattern but since there are some castings that would have to be finished before chroming it might be better off painting.

I keep my fingers crossed. Don't burn your house ;-)

Lou

Re: Steel Forks

<c37f5bd5-29e2-4c75-be85-5a47311909a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72522&group=rec.bicycles.tech#72522

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 07:30:22 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 15:30 UTC

On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 6:12:54 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > https://www.ebay.com/itm/203968387393?hash=item2f7d769941:g:wdsAAOSw2xRYdTVT&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoPjoX2VAcxfl9y3oC19Zs0927yRJXLzXNg%2BbFuDwf5gOK%2BGy6e2PDLcTeycsj44udct3GQUMZ49dJQWk%2BZ5JqbjNgbUCS0sg6B8U7S%2Fp8CEwIBNXMcwTr5rp0um4SsQ7Z%2F2B7FV8C8BU7wV7IHku7da2fhiLm8c5YkYBkgNefSHaHMlPnoO862n9FuxTZGWLvD9RUduqoN6AGPTFbCmzIz4%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5zupdezYQ
> >
> > This is a complicated race team pattern but since there are some castings that would have to be finished before chroming it might be better off painting.
> >
> > Any thoughts on the matter?
> I keep my fingers crossed. Don't burn your house ;-)

I am more likely to burn my fingers cooking a hamburger.

Re: Steel Forks

<ffd7b9e4-ba7e-4f57-9b0b-128ca1f19a09n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72538&group=rec.bicycles.tech#72538

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 09:23:28 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 17:23 UTC

On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 7:30:24 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 11, 2023 at 6:12:54 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:

> > > Digging around in the garage3 I discovered my propane torch and inside the box was also silver braze and flux. I have two bottles of propane and but since Andrew warned me that I couldn't get hot enough I've ordered the modern version of MAPP gas known as MAP gas. I received the parts to make a fork from Harry Havnoonian who if memory serves was a pretty good custom frame builder The crown was a little bit splayed so I put it in the vice and have it down to close to the correct size. I will finish it after I braze and finish the leg lengths and install the fork ends. The Threadless steering post is very long and fits perfectly into the cast fork crown. I am trying to think whether I should chrome the fork or try to paint it similar the rest of the frame.
> > >
> > > https://www.ebay.com/itm/203968387393?hash=item2f7d769941:g:wdsAAOSw2xRYdTVT&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoPjoX2VAcxfl9y3oC19Zs0927yRJXLzXNg%2BbFuDwf5gOK%2BGy6e2PDLcTeycsj44udct3GQUMZ49dJQWk%2BZ5JqbjNgbUCS0sg6B8U7S%2Fp8CEwIBNXMcwTr5rp0um4SsQ7Z%2F2B7FV8C8BU7wV7IHku7da2fhiLm8c5YkYBkgNefSHaHMlPnoO862n9FuxTZGWLvD9RUduqoN6AGPTFbCmzIz4%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5zupdezYQ
> > >
> > > This is a complicated race team pattern but since there are some castings that would have to be finished before chroming it might be better off painting.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts on the matter?
> > I keep my fingers crossed. Don't burn your house ;-)
> I am more likely to burn my fingers cooking a hamburger.

by the way, any opinions whether the bike would look better with a chrome fork or painted?