Slowly and surely the unix crept up on the Nintendo user ...

tech / sci.physics.relativity / Re: Critical Relativity Theory

SubjectAuthor
* Critical Relativity Theorypatdolan
+- Re: Critical Relativity TheoryRichard Hertz
+* Re: Critical Relativity TheoryOdd Bodkin
|`* Re: Critical Relativity Theorypatdolan
| `* Re: Critical Relativity TheoryOdd Bodkin
|  `* Re: Critical Relativity Theorypatdolan
|   `* Re: Critical Relativity TheoryOdd Bodkin
|    `* Re: Critical Relativity Theorypatdolan
|     `- Re: Critical Relativity TheoryOdd Bodkin
+- Utter cretin PattyDolan is back and utter crank Richard Hertz rushesDono.
+* Re: Critical Relativity TheoryDirk Van de moortel
|+- Re: Critical Relativity TheoryWade Earl
|`* Re: Critical Relativity Theorypatdolan
| +- Re: Critical Relativity Theorypatdolan
| +- Cretin Pat Dolan perseveresDono.
| `* Re: Critical Relativity TheoryDirk Van de moortel
|  `* Re: Critical Relativity Theorypatdolan
|   `* Re: Critical Relativity TheoryDirk Van de moortel
|    `- Re: Critical Relativity TheoryWade Earl
+* Re: Critical Relativity TheoryThomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
> [...]
||  |     ||  `* Re: Critical Relativity TheoryThomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
||  |     ||   +- Re: Critical Relativity TheoryBrain Hubbs
||  |     ||   +- Re: Critical Relativity TheoryBrain Hubbs
||  |     ||   `- Re: Critical Relativity TheoryBrain Hubbs
||  |     |`- Re: Critical Relativity TheoryBrain Hubbs
||  |     `- Re: Critical Relativity TheoryDirk Van de moortel
||  `* Re: Critical Relativity TheoryOdd Bodkin
||   `* Re: Critical Relativity Theorypatdolan
||    `- Re: Critical Relativity TheoryThomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
|+- Re: Critical Relativity TheoryMaciej Wozniak
|`* Re: Critical Relativity TheoryRichard Hachel
| `* Re: Critical Relativity TheoryDono.
|  +* Re: Critical Relativity TheoryRichard Hachel
|  |+* Re: Critical Relativity TheoryPython
|  |`* Re: Critical Relativity Theorypehache
|  `* Re: Critical Relativity TheoryRichard Hachel
+* Re: Critical Relativity TheoryOdd Bodkin
`* Re: Critical Relativity TheoryRoss A. Finlayson

Pages:12345678
Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<05522075-1d07-4f64-ad4e-3d5b21604aa2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72244&group=sci.physics.relativity#72244

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 19:03:39 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Critical Relativity Theory
From: patdo...@comcast.net (patdolan)
 by: patdolan - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 03:03 UTC

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<02025c99-590c-4ab0-bc81-236214e6aeben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72246&group=sci.physics.relativity#72246

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 19:04:53 -0800 (PST)
From: patdo...@comcast.net (patdolan)
 by: patdolan - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 03:04 UTC

On Friday, November 19, 2021 at 3:00:32 PM UTC-8, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> patdolan wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, November 17, 2021 at 3:09:39 PM UTC-8, Thomas 'PointedEars'
> > Lahn wrote:
> >>
> >> Not true. Natural language is ambiguous and rather loose; it is why
> >> (despite knowing logic) it is so easy to commit fallacies using natural
> >> language. Mathematics, in its symbols, terms, and reasoning is (given a
> >> context) unambiguous and unforgivingly strict.
> >
> > 1^4 = i^4
>
> That much is true.
>
> > sqrt[ 1^4 ] = sqrt[ i^4 ]
> >
> > +/-( 1^2 ) = +/-( i^2 )
> >
> > +/-( 1 ) = +/-( -1 )
> >
> > +/- 1 = -/+ 1
>
> Your logic is flawed.

How, long ears. How?

> >> In the words of Richard Feynman:
> >>
> >> ‘You might say, “All right, then, there’s no explanation of the law;
> >> at least tell me what the law is — why not tell me in words instead of
> >> in the symbols?
> >
> > I did this.
>
> I know that you did. Feynman explains there why your request cannot be
> fulfilled.
>
> > See MUONS, SCHMUONS! at the bottom of my post. Read through it slow,
> > Long Ears.
>
> I have better things to do than discussing with you at this low a level.
>
> > [tl;dr]
>

> PointedEars
> --
> «Nec fasces, nec opes, sola artis sceptra perennant.»
> (“Neither high office nor power, only the scepters of science survive.”)
>
> —Tycho Brahe, astronomer (1546-1601): inscription at Hven

Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<a14ff841-a25c-4789-b169-295d00406abdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72250&group=sci.physics.relativity#72250

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 22:24:31 -0800 (PST)
From: pnals...@gmail.com (Paul Alsing)
 by: Paul Alsing - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 06:24 UTC

On Friday, November 19, 2021 at 7:04:54 PM UTC-8, patdolan wrote:
> On Friday, November 19, 2021 at 3:00:32 PM UTC-8, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> > >
> > > 1^4 = i^4
> >
> > That much is true.
> >
> > > sqrt[ 1^4 ] = sqrt[ i^4 ]

> > Your logic is flawed.

> How, long ears. How?

Because i is not a number, it is a definition. The term *i* is "defined" to be 'the square root of -1', and therefore cannot be manipulated the way you are claiming. It is not a real number, it is an imaginary number... just like infinity, which is a definition and absolutely NOT a number. You are pretty much dead in the water... as everyone already knows...

Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<ddfd1da7-8b2c-4239-9211-e9279e79c275n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72254&group=sci.physics.relativity#72254

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 23:06:29 -0800 (PST)
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 07:06 UTC

On Saturday, 20 November 2021 at 07:24:32 UTC+1, Paul Alsing wrote:

> > > That much is true.

> > > Your logic is flawed.
>
> > How, long ears. How?
> Because i is not a number, it is a definition. The term *i* is "defined" to be 'the square root of -1',

:) And how is "the square root" defined, Al,
poor halfbrain?

Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<24ca5969-931d-4ccf-b620-ba9a2a0732f5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72259&group=sci.physics.relativity#72259

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 05:15:13 -0800 (PST)
From: patdo...@comcast.net (patdolan)
 by: patdolan - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 13:15 UTC

On Friday, November 19, 2021 at 10:24:32 PM UTC-8, Paul Alsing wrote:

> > > That much is true.

> > > Your logic is flawed.
>
> > How, long ears. How?
> Because i is not a number, it is a definition. The term *i* is "defined" to be 'the square root of -1', and therefore cannot be manipulated the way you are claiming. It is not a real number, it is an imaginary number... just like infinity, which is a definition and absolutely NOT a number. You are pretty much dead in the water... as everyone already knows...

[ This is going to be fun, tee-hee-hee...] So Paul A. #2, when you multiply a number by a definition is the product a number or another definition?

Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<6198f5a7$0$3684$426a34cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72260&group=sci.physics.relativity#72260

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 14:18:35 +0100
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
From: pyt...@python.invalid (Python)
 by: Python - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 13:18 UTC

Paul Alsing wrote:

>>> That much is true.

>>> Your logic is flawed.
>
>> How, long ears. How?
>
> Because i is not a number, it is a definition. The term *i* is "defined" to be 'the square root of -1', and therefore cannot be manipulated the way you are claiming. It is not a real number, it is an imaginary number... just like infinity, which is a definition and absolutely NOT a number. You are pretty much dead in the water... as everyone already knows...

There is a more rigorous definition for i than "the square root of -1"
in term of equivalence classes of polynomials. Of course patdolan
claims are dead in the water since in C sqrt is a multi-valued
function (ask Demented Woz for details, he discovered this concept
recently).

Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<8b17b41c-38be-489f-8a04-392c7b8dbf6bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72261&group=sci.physics.relativity#72261

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 05:22:25 -0800 (PST)
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 13:22 UTC

On Saturday, 20 November 2021 at 14:18:35 UTC+1, Python wrote:
> Paul Alsing wrote:

> >> How, long ears. How?
> >
> > Because i is not a number, it is a definition. The term *i* is "defined" to be 'the square root of -1', and therefore cannot be manipulated the way you are claiming. It is not a real number, it is an imaginary number... just like infinity, which is a definition and absolutely NOT a number. You are pretty much dead in the water... as everyone already knows...
> >
> There is a more rigorous definition for i than "the square root of -1"
> in term of equivalence classes of polynomials. Of course patdolan
> claims are dead in the water since in C sqrt is a multi-valued
> function (ask Demented Woz for details, he discovered this concept
> recently).

It's not true it was recently, but anyway poor halfbrain Al
may always start asking a wiser one about some explainations.

Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<0bc7b8cc-ee9e-4a40-9eed-5cbd552e82f1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72267&group=sci.physics.relativity#72267

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 07:01:55 -0800 (PST)
From: patdo...@comcast.net (patdolan)
 by: patdolan - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 15:01 UTC

On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 5:18:35 AM UTC-8, Python wrote:
> Paul Alsing wrote:

> >> How, long ears. How?
> >
> > Because i is not a number, it is a definition. The term *i* is "defined" to be 'the square root of -1', and therefore cannot be manipulated the way you are claiming. It is not a real number, it is an imaginary number... just like infinity, which is a definition and absolutely NOT a number. You are pretty much dead in the water... as everyone already knows...
> >

> There is a more rigorous definition for i than "the square root of -1"
> in term of equivalence classes of polynomials. Of course patdolan
> claims are dead in the water since in C sqrt is a multi-valued
> function (ask Demented Woz for details, he discovered this concept
> recently).

I have accounted for both branches of the double branch sqrt function in my derivation and conclusion and made the correct branch cuts:

+/-1 = -/+1

Just as I would have accounted for all three branches of the cube root function, four branches for the...

I am an algebraic King Cobra. You are just a python. Never mess with the king.

Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<snb53g$1b7h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72269&group=sci.physics.relativity#72269

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 15:43:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 15:43 UTC

<snb5rc$1mhv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72271&group=sci.physics.relativity#72271

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 15:56:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 15:56 UTC

patdolan <patdolan@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Friday, November 19, 2021 at 3:00:32 PM UTC-8, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> patdolan wrote:

>>> 1^4 = i^4
>>
>> That much is true.
>>
>>> sqrt[ 1^4 ] = sqrt[ i^4 ]
>>>
>>> +/-( 1^2 ) = +/-( i^2 )
>>>
>>> +/-( 1 ) = +/-( -1 )
>>>
>>> +/- 1 = -/+ 1
>>
>> Your logic is flawed.
>
> How, long ears. How?

If you’re invoking the square root on complex numbers then you have to
follow the rules of that function on the foliated complex plane, not the
rules you would apply on the real number line.

See a book on complex variables and the square root foliation.

Idiot.

Half-ignorant idiot.

Blissfully ignorant of being ignorant, half-ignorant idiot.

>>> I did this.
>>
>> I know that you did. Feynman explains there why your request cannot be
>> fulfilled.
>>
>>> See MUONS, SCHMUONS! at the bottom of my post. Read through it slow,
>>> Long Ears.
>>
>> I have better things to do than discussing with you at this low a level.
>>
>>> [tl;dr]
>>

>> PointedEars
>> --
>> «Nec fasces, nec opes, sola artis sceptra perennant.»
>> (“Neither high office nor power, only the scepters of science survive.”)
>>
>> —Tycho Brahe, astronomer (1546-1601): inscription at Hven

--
Odd Bodkin — Maker of fine toys, tools, tables

Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<d6484976-755c-4ecd-a471-6671a04a4624n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72276&group=sci.physics.relativity#72276

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 09:30:33 -0800 (PST)
From: patdo...@comcast.net (patdolan)
 by: patdolan - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 17:30 UTC

On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 7:56:31 AM UTC-8, bodk...@gmail.com wrote:
> patdolan <patd...@comcast.net> wrote:

> >> That much is true.

> >> Your logic is flawed.
> >
> > How, long ears. How?

> If you’re invoking the square root on complex numbers then you have to
> follow the rules of that function on the foliated complex plane, not the
> rules you would apply on the real number line.
>
> See a book on complex variables and the square root foliation.

I did follow the foliation rules to the letter. I made two branch cuts on the complex plane and solved. You didn't recognize this. I will be more explicit in my conclusion:

+/-1+/-i0 = -/+1-/+i0

> Idiot.
>
> Half-ignorant idiot.
>
> Blissfully ignorant of being ignorant, half-ignorant idiot.

> >> I know that you did. Feynman explains there why your request cannot be
> >> fulfilled.

> >> I have better things to do than discussing with you at this low a level.

> >> PointedEars
> >> --
> >> «Nec fasces, nec opes, sola artis sceptra perennant.»
> >> (“Neither high office nor power, only the scepters of science survive.”)
> >>
> >> —Tycho Brahe, astronomer (1546-1601): inscription at Hven
> >
> --
> Odd Bodkin — Maker of fine toys, tools, tables

Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<045ac4f3-286e-4c8f-a830-2b01f98bef4dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72278&group=sci.physics.relativity#72278

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 09:40:40 -0800 (PST)
From: patdo...@comcast.net (patdolan)
 by: patdolan - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 17:40 UTC

On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 7:43:48 AM UTC-8, bodk...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> > sees the lab clock tick off 1.1 microseconds on it's trip down.
> No, it doesn’t. How is it supposed to “see” that? It isn’t ANYWHERE NEAR
> the lab clock. The best the muon can do is either a) monitor its own clock,
> because its own clock is at ONE location in its own frame, or b) have a
> LATTICE of synchronized clocks traveling along with the muon, where one of
> them is far away from the muon, near the lab clock at the time the muon is
> created.
>
> If you have two events that occur at DIFFERENT PLACES in some frame of
> reference, you need two DIFFERENT clocks near those events. If those clocks
> are synchronized in this frame, THEN you can measure the elapsed time
> between the events.
>
> You can’t measure the elapsed time between two events that occur in
> different places with ONE clock.
>
> You, Pat Dolan, don’t understand the first thing about relativity.. And it
> shows.
>
> And yet you bluster simultaneously that a) you understand relativity very
> well, and b) that it is incomprehensible.
> > The lab scientists, using relativity and the standard muon life-span,
> > calculate the same lab clock ticks off 4.4 seconds for the same trip.
> >
> > Now take a deep breath and form an argument that addresses the facts of
> > the case, not imaginary t=0 stuff.
> >
> >> can see the clock adjacent to you, which is 572 m above the lab clock. And,
> >> by the way, the one adjacent to you and the lab clock are not synchronized,
> >> according to “you”, and so “you” wouldn’t dream of subtracting the readings
> >> on the two clocks at rest in the earth frame to come up with an elapsed
> >> time according to the lab clocks.
> >>
> >> “What?” Pat Dolan protests, “the lab clock and the clock up by the
> >> atmosphere are perfectly synchronized beforehand. They are still
> >> synchronized now.” But the question then is, “In what frame were they
> >> synchronized?” Pat Dolan splutters, “What difference does THAT make?” And
> >> the answer is, “It matters a lot. The same two clocks may be synchronized
> >> in one frame, but they’re not synchronized in the muon’s frame, or any
> >> other frame in fact. This is one of the foundational observations of
> >> special relativity.”
> >>
> >> “But, but, but….,” fumes Pat Dolan, “I had an EXCELLENT hand!”
> >>
> >> No, Pat, you don’t have an excellent hand. You have crap cards, all because
> >> you have never bothered to read a book that talks about muons IN DETAIL.
> >> Instead, you came here with a poor and slippery grasp on a simple and
> >> common example, and you thought somehow that something SO SIMPLE had been
> >> missed in ALL THOSE presentations that you never read.
> >>
> >> You, Pat, are a persistent idiot, thinking you have good cards, when you’ve
> >> never even bothered to learn how to play poker.

> >> --
> >> Odd Bodkin -- maker of fine toys, tools, tables
> >

> --
> Odd Bodkin -- maker of fine toys, tools, tables
The muon is bathed in the light cone from the lab clock a the moment of it's inception. The muon notes what the light cone is indicating at that moment while it still 572m/1143m away from the clock. The muon notes the light from the lab clock again when it is in the scintillator. This is T1. From T1 the muon subtracts 2.2 microseconds to get the elapsed time on the lab clock for the muon's trip. This elapsed time will be 1.1 microseconds according to relativity and the muon. No lattice of clocks, no synchronization no nothing. Easy-peasy Bodkin.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<05aa12a3-f505-4c10-b2c1-8b08226512cen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72279&group=sci.physics.relativity#72279

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 09:43:55 -0800 (PST)
From: patdo...@comcast.net (patdolan)
 by: patdolan - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 17:43 UTC

On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 9:40:41 AM UTC-8, patdolan wrote:
> [...]
> > > calculate the same lab clock ticks off 4.4 seconds for the same trip.
> > >
> > > Now take a deep breath and form an argument that addresses the facts of
> > > the case, not imaginary t=0 stuff.

> > --
> > Odd Bodkin -- maker of fine toys, tools, tables
> The muon is bathed in the light cone from the lab clock a the moment of it's inception. The muon notes what the light cone is indicating at that moment while it still 572m/1143m away from the clock. The muon notes the light from the lab clock again when it is in the scintillator. This is T1. From T1 the muon subtracts 2.2 microseconds to get the elapsed time on the lab clock for the muon's trip. This elapsed time will be 1.1 microseconds according to relativity and the muon. No lattice of clocks, no synchronization no nothing. Easy-peasy Bodkin.
*the difference of the times is T1: light cone time at inception - light cone in scintillator = T1

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<ca2d7094-9e46-4de5-a0e7-4c6095b7cf06n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72280&group=sci.physics.relativity#72280

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 09:55:31 -0800 (PST)
From: patdo...@comcast.net (patdolan)
 by: patdolan - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 17:55 UTC

<a09af1e2-f2d0-4986-84f5-3a7baf3c6768n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72283&group=sci.physics.relativity#72283

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 10:06:56 -0800 (PST)
From: pnals...@gmail.com (Paul Alsing)
 by: Paul Alsing - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 18:06 UTC

On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 7:01:57 AM UTC-8, patdolan wrote:
> On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 5:18:35 AM UTC-8, Python wrote:
> > Paul Alsing wrote:

> > > Because i is not a number, it is a definition. The term *i* is "defined" to be 'the square root of -1', and therefore cannot be manipulated the way you are claiming. It is not a real number, it is an imaginary number... just like infinity, which is a definition and absolutely NOT a number. You are pretty much dead in the water... as everyone already knows...
> > >

> > There is a more rigorous definition for i than "the square root of -1"
> > in term of equivalence classes of polynomials. Of course patdolan
> > claims are dead in the water since in C sqrt is a multi-valued
> > function (ask Demented Woz for details, he discovered this concept
> > recently).
> I have accounted for both branches of the double branch sqrt function in my derivation and conclusion and made the correct branch cuts:
>
> +/-1 = -/+1
>
> Just as I would have accounted for all three branches of the cube root function, four branches for the...
>
> I am an algebraic King Cobra. You are just a python. Never mess with the king.

Well, the *king* is dead... dead wrong!

Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<5cff0561-0bd6-4f2c-8961-0c02d26864een@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72286&group=sci.physics.relativity#72286

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 10:20:14 -0800 (PST)
From: patdo...@comcast.net (patdolan)
 by: patdolan - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 18:20 UTC

On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 10:06:58 AM UTC-8, Paul Alsing wrote:
> On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 7:01:57 AM UTC-8, patdolan wrote:

> > > There is a more rigorous definition for i than "the square root of -1"
> > > in term of equivalence classes of polynomials. Of course patdolan
> > > claims are dead in the water since in C sqrt is a multi-valued
> > > function (ask Demented Woz for details, he discovered this concept
> > > recently).
> > I have accounted for both branches of the double branch sqrt function in my derivation and conclusion and made the correct branch cuts:
> >
> > +/-1 = -/+1
> >
> > Just as I would have accounted for all three branches of the cube root function, four branches for the...
> >
> > I am an algebraic King Cobra. You are just a python. Never mess with the king.

> Well, the *king* is dead... dead wrong!

Very cheeky, Paul A#2. I recall that Paul A#1 used to be quite cheeky also until he was put in his place. Paul A#1 lives in a country that still respects Kings and Queens.

Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<dc5fd66f-c59d-4d89-bcc2-ecd6c318b389n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72290&group=sci.physics.relativity#72290

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 10:45:38 -0800 (PST)
From: pnals...@gmail.com (Paul Alsing)
 by: Paul Alsing - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 18:45 UTC

On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 10:20:15 AM UTC-8, patdolan wrote:
> On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 10:06:58 AM UTC-8, Paul Alsing wrote:

> > > I have accounted for both branches of the double branch sqrt function in my derivation and conclusion and made the correct branch cuts:
> > >
> > > +/-1 = -/+1
> > >
> > > Just as I would have accounted for all three branches of the cube root function, four branches for the...
> > >
> > > I am an algebraic King Cobra. You are just a python. Never mess with the king.
>
> > Well, the *king* is dead... dead wrong!
> Very cheeky, Paul A#2. I recall that Paul A#1 used to be quite cheeky also until he was put in his place. Paul A#1 lives in a country that still respects Kings and Queens.

Ya know, when you have both feet in your mouth at the same time, you don't have a leg to stand on...

Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<de1e81d2-e4ac-46bf-a8ec-28bcecf8413bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72304&group=sci.physics.relativity#72304

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 12:26:26 -0800 (PST)
From: patdo...@comcast.net (patdolan)
 by: patdolan - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 20:26 UTC

<snblne$1880$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72305&group=sci.physics.relativity#72305

From: bodkin...@gmail.com (Odd Bodkin)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 20:27:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Odd Bodkin - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 20:27 UTC

<ivt57mF8583U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72314&group=sci.physics.relativity#72314

From: pehach...@gmail.com (pehache)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,fr.sci.physique
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 21:47:50 +0100
 by: pehache - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 20:47 UTC

Le 19/11/2021 à 00:21, Richard Hachel a écrit :

> LOL.
> R.H.

Tu devrais inviter Pencho Valev à boire le thé chez toi. Ca ferait des
vacances à usenet.

--
"...sois ouvert aux idées des autres pour peu qu'elles aillent dans le
même sens que les tiennes.", ST sur fr.bio.medecine

Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<7dad260f-51fa-4cbd-8813-941595eaa280n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72321&group=sci.physics.relativity#72321

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 13:12:40 -0800 (PST)
From: patdo...@comcast.net (patdolan)
 by: patdolan - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 21:12 UTC

On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 12:47:54 PM UTC-8, pehache wrote:
> Le 19/11/2021 à 00:21, Richard Hachel a écrit :
>

> > LOL.
> > R.H.
> >

> Tu devrais inviter Pencho Valev à boire le thé chez toi. Ca ferait des
> vacances à usenet.

Pencho et moi buvons et mangeons de la relativité pour le petit-déjeuner, le déjeuner et le dîner. Toi et Bodkin pouvez prendre le thé avec vos assiettes de corbeau.
> --
> "...sois ouvert aux idées des autres pour peu qu'elles aillent dans le
> même sens que les tiennes.", ST sur fr.bio.medecine

Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<MW1UalgtQB5FLgqUdevoCO-XiJA@jntp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72328&group=sci.physics.relativity#72328

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,fr.sci.physique
JNTP-HashClient: oB5J9OkfcRcdD-EZTR__tJ-DnTo
JNTP-ThreadID: 3e7a11ae-3ae7-4969-86a6-3699ac5570ean@googlegroups.com
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=MW1UalgtQB5FLgqUdevoCO-XiJA@jntp
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 21 22:29:50 +0000
From: r.hac...@tiscali.fr (Richard Hachel)
 by: Richard Hachel - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 22:29 UTC

Le 20/11/2021 à 21:47, pehache a écrit :
> Le 19/11/2021 à 00:21, Richard Hachel a écrit :
>

>> LOL.
>> R.H.
>>

> Tu devrais inviter Pencho Valev à boire le thé chez toi. Ca ferait des
> vacances à usenet.

Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<GKVKZD0lZE7imLdpxnDF-bqkdiQ@jntp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72331&group=sci.physics.relativity#72331

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity,fr.sci.physique
JNTP-HashClient: k9dYDB58utpIlAnRaws732mb-eI
JNTP-ThreadID: 3e7a11ae-3ae7-4969-86a6-3699ac5570ean@googlegroups.com
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=GKVKZD0lZE7imLdpxnDF-bqkdiQ@jntp
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 21 22:48:42 +0000
From: r.hac...@tiscali.fr (Richard Hachel)
 by: Richard Hachel - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 22:48 UTC

Le 20/11/2021 à 21:47, pehache a écrit :
> Le 19/11/2021 à 00:21, Richard Hachel a écrit :
>

>> LOL.
>> R.H.
>>

> Tu devrais inviter Pencho Valev à boire le thé chez toi. Ca ferait des
> vacances à usenet.

Nan écoute pehache, soit un peu beau joueur.

Et même si je racontais des conneries comme Pencho Valev, comme tu dis,
pffff... Ca nuirait en quoi à usenet, et à un forum qui ne fait parfois
même plus un post par jour.

Je dis ça, je dis rien.

R.H.

Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<3075589.5fSG56mABF@PointedEars.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72332&group=sci.physics.relativity#72332

From: PointedE...@web.de (Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 23:54:55 +0100
Face: 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
 by: Thomas 'Pointed - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 22:54 UTC

Paul Alsing wrote:

> On Friday, November 19, 2021 at 7:04:54 PM UTC-8, patdolan wrote:

>> > That much is true.

>> > Your logic is flawed.
>
>> How, long ears. How?
>
> Because i is not a number, it is a definition.

No; that statement is

1. utterly wrong;
2. not the reason.

> The term *i* is "defined" to be 'the square root of -1',

No, it is NOT; that is a common misconception (unfortunately, it can also be
found in otherwise great textbooks such as Griffiths’ “Introduction to
Quantum Mechanics”, at least in the second edition).

Instead, 𝕚 is defined to be the solution (*historically*: “root”) of the
equation
x² + 1 = 0.

[This equation does not have a solution in the real numbers, because the
square of every real number is non-negative. Thus, the set of complex
numbers were invented as a solution to the problem, as it had been done
with ℝ for ℚ, ℚ for ℤ, and ℤ for ℕ, before.]

This means that 𝕚 is defined as a number whose square is −1: 𝕚² ≔ −1. This
is not the same thing because there are *two* complex numbers which satisfy
this condition: 𝕚 and −𝕚.

By definition, 𝕚² = −1. Then (−𝕚)² = (−1 · 𝕚)² = (−1)² i² = 1 · (−1) = −1.

Concisely, we can write this as √(−1) = ±𝕚. However, care must be taken how
the “±” notation is used; and *that* is why Pat Dolan’s logic is flawed.

> It is not a real number,

True.

> it is an imaginary number...

Yes, but: “imaginary” does NOT mean “not real” in the sense of “does not
exist” in mathematics; it means that it is not an element of the set of real
numbers, ℝ: 𝕚 ∉ ℝ. It is an element of a superset of the real numbers, the
set of complex numbers ℂ ⊃ ℝ, where ℂ ≔ {a + b 𝕚 | a, b ∈ ℝ; 𝕚² = −1}:
𝕚 ∈ ℂ∖ℝ.

PointedEars
--
Q: How many theoretical physicists specializing in general relativity
does it take to change a light bulb?

Re: Critical Relativity Theory

<5669369.MhkbZ0Pkbq@PointedEars.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72335&group=sci.physics.relativity#72335

From: PointedE...@web.de (Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 00:03:28 +0100
[...]
 by: Thomas 'Pointed - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 23:03 UTC

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

> Instead, 𝕚 is defined to be the solution (*historically*: “root”) of the
> equation
>
> x² + 1 = 0.
> [This equation does not have a solution in the real numbers, because
> [the square of every real number is non-negative. Thus, the set of
> complex numbers were invented as a solution to the problem, as it
> had been done with ℝ for ℚ, ℚ for ℤ, and ℤ for ℕ, before.]
>
> This means that 𝕚 is defined as a number whose square is −1: 𝕚² ≔ −1.
> This is not the same thing because there are *two* complex numbers which
> satisfy this condition: 𝕚 and −𝕚.
>
> By definition, 𝕚² = −1. Then (−𝕚)² = (−1 · 𝕚)² = (−1)² i² = 1 · (−1) =
> −1. ∎

Therefore, I should have been more precise and should have written
“_a_ solution” instead.

PointedEars
--
A neutron walks into a bar and inquires how much a drink costs.
The bartender replies, "For you? No charge."

(from: WolframAlpha)

tech / sci.physics.relativity / Re: Critical Relativity Theory