"A car is just a big purse on wheels." -- Johanna Reynolds

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / California Bay Area Road Closures

SubjectAuthor
* California Bay Area Road ClosuresTom Kunich
`* Re: California Bay Area Road ClosuresJeff Liebermann
 `- Re: California Bay Area Road Closuressms

1
California Bay Area Road Closures

<654c1045-26f4-46b0-918f-d0f60b053ff1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72381&group=rec.bicycles.tech#72381

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 13:24:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: California Bay Area Road Closures
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 21:24 UTC

I have said a number of times that California and particularly the bay area hassn't used the SLIGHTEST responsibility in maintaining the roads. Not only that but they can't even maintain the drainage. So even flat ground is in danger. All over San Francisco, sink holes are opening up.

As for the hill roads? https://roadclosures.acgov.org/

This is ALL of the hill roads including what would be considered flat roads with minor rollers.

Re: California Bay Area Road Closures

<jdgprhdlp7lm36rao0co02aaih9dl2jd2d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72414&group=rec.bicycles.tech#72414

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: California Bay Area Road Closures
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2023 18:13:22 -0800
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 02:13 UTC

On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 13:24:31 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have said a number of times that California and particularly the bay area hassn't used the SLIGHTEST responsibility in maintaining the roads. Not only that but they can't even maintain the drainage. So even flat ground is in danger. All over San Francisco, sink holes are opening up.
>
>As for the hill roads? https://roadclosures.acgov.org/
>
>This is ALL of the hill roads including what would be considered flat roads with minor rollers.

Those are the road closures in Alameda County caused by a series of
storms that started a few days before New Year. The storms will
likely continue at least through the week. It's been a few years
since we've had heavy rains, but such road closures are typical of the
rainy season.

Santa Cruz county also has a list of washed out roads:
<https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/09f637a4d84946edbb5aab283766c9de/>
It will take a while for repair crews to fix all the roads. Some
roads might remain closed until the weather improves.

Also, San Francisco has a long history of sink holes:
<https://brokeassstuart.com/2021/05/07/san-franciscos-long-history-of-catastrophic-sinkholes/>
"San Francisco is built on sand dunes and crumbling rock. The
landscape is eager to devour anything, cars, buildings, even people."
Parts of the city is sitting on land reclaimed from the bay by
dredging.

Try not to be an alarmist. Alameda County is not targeting you with
road closures. If your favorite roads are closed until repairs can be
made, find someplace else to ride, or setup an indoor trainer.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: California Bay Area Road Closures

<tpk11i$ise0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=72434&group=rec.bicycles.tech#72434

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 07:42:40 -0800
 by: sms - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 15:42 UTC

On 1/9/2023 6:13 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

<snip>

> Try not to be an alarmist. Alameda County is not targeting you with
> road closures. If your favorite roads are closed until repairs can be
> made, find someplace else to ride, or setup an indoor trainer.

Some Bay Area cities put a priority on properly maintaining roads and on
keeping storm drains clear. Some do not. It's basically dependent on the
political leadership understanding that residents value well-maintained
roads.

There are low-income communities with good roads and their are
high-income communities with bad roads. There are cities that receive a
very small percentage of their property taxes back from the county that
have excellent roads, and cities that receive a large percentage of
their property taxes back from the county that have bad roads. It's a
matter of priorities. When you spend money on roads there's less money
for other services.

Tom's city is ranked 99th in the Bay Area and is "At Risk" with a PCI of 55.
My city is ranked 1st in the Bay Area and is "Very Good" with a PCI of 84.