No wonder Clairol makes so much money selling shampoo. Lather, Rinse, Repeat is an infinite loop!

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)

SubjectAuthor
* Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)Bob La Londe
+* Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)Leon Fisk
|+* Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)Snag
||`* Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)Leon Fisk
|| `- Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)Bob La Londe
|`* Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)Jim Wilkins
| +- Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)Bob La Londe
| +- Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)Clifford Heath
| `* Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)David Billington
|  +- Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)bob prohaska
|  `* Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)Jim Wilkins
|   `- Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)Jim Wilkins
`* Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)Bob La Londe
 `* Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)Snag
  `- Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)Bob La Londe

1
Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)

<u14bmt$2mcr1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7323&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7323

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 15:18:36 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 19:18 UTC

On Tue, 11 Apr 2023 11:29:02 -0700
Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:

<snip>
>I'm curious if there is a way to "easily" remove ALL the green copper
>corrosion of the brass, or if I need to just do it with tiny fine
>abrasives/polishers by hand and plan to spend an afternoon doing it?

A tip I read about cleaning carbs was putting them in an ultrasonic
cleaner as a whole unit. Thought to myself it would be a good excuse
for getting one (ultrasonic) and then I'd further investigate what to
use in the tank for good results. I've torn down, cleaned a few carbs
in my day but would love a different method that works well😉 Just a bit
of info<shrug>

Jim is the resident chemist that might have some cleaning brass
corrosion ideas...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)

<u14fe4$2n54v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7324&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7324

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 15:20:20 -0500
 by: Snag - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 20:20 UTC

On 4/11/2023 2:18 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2023 11:29:02 -0700
> Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> I'm curious if there is a way to "easily" remove ALL the green copper
>> corrosion of the brass, or if I need to just do it with tiny fine
>> abrasives/polishers by hand and plan to spend an afternoon doing it?
>
> A tip I read about cleaning carbs was putting them in an ultrasonic
> cleaner as a whole unit. Thought to myself it would be a good excuse
> for getting one (ultrasonic) and then I'd further investigate what to
> use in the tank for good results. I've torn down, cleaned a few carbs
> in my day but would love a different method that works well😉 Just a bit
> of info<shrug>
>
> Jim is the resident chemist that might have some cleaning brass
> corrosion ideas...

My neighbor puts carb stuff in a small container of gasoline (with a
lid) then sets that container in an ultrasonic with another liquid
(forget what he uses , maybe water?) . He says gas works better than
most "cleaning solutions" but he doesn't want the gunk in his cleaner -
or the possibility of a rapid deflagration . I have added him to my
(very short) list of people who are allowed to work on my stuff .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)

<u14gig$2mcr1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7325&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7325

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 16:41:35 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 20:41 UTC

On Tue, 11 Apr 2023 15:20:20 -0500
Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:

<snip>
>My neighbor puts carb stuff in a small container of gasoline (with a
>lid) then sets that container in an ultrasonic with another liquid
>(forget what he uses , maybe water?) . He says gas works better than
>most "cleaning solutions" but he doesn't want the gunk in his cleaner -
>or the possibility of a rapid deflagration . I have added him to my
>(very short) list of people who are allowed to work on my stuff .

Maybe I'd try this outside while watching with a CO2 extinguisher in
hand. Pretty sure it would be a last resort, Hail-Mary kinda thing
though...

I've wanted an ultrasonic cleaner to experiment with for years. Stories
I hear sound too-good-to-be-true...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)

<u14n8c$2nmsn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7326&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7326

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 18:32:42 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 22:32 UTC

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message news:u14bmt$2mcr1$1@dont-email.me...

Jim is the resident chemist that might have some cleaning brass
corrosion ideas...

-----------------

Ammonia, but it can be too aggressive to the metal as well. I lost a car
radiator to/from sitting open in a horse stable while I was getting the head
repaired after the timing belt broke. Now I change the belts on schedule
religiously (on my knees).

I haven't tried this:
https://blog.thepipingmart.com/metals/how-to-remove-corrosion-from-brass-fittings/

Vinegar plus Dawn slowly attacks soap scum in the shower.

The carb crud problem I see is a clear gel that dries to a white powder.
Supposedly it is aluminum hydroxide dissolved from the castings with the
help of ethanol and water.

Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)

<u14opf$2nkjk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7327&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7327

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 15:59:58 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 22:59 UTC

On 4/11/2023 3:32 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Leon Fisk"  wrote in message news:u14bmt$2mcr1$1@dont-email.me...
>
> Jim is the resident chemist that might have some cleaning brass
> corrosion ideas...
>
> -----------------
>
> Ammonia, but it can be too aggressive to the metal as well. I lost a car
> radiator to/from sitting open in a horse stable while I was getting the
> head repaired after the timing belt broke. Now I change the belts on
> schedule religiously (on my knees).
>
> I haven't tried this:
> https://blog.thepipingmart.com/metals/how-to-remove-corrosion-from-brass-fittings/
>
> Vinegar plus Dawn slowly attacks soap scum in the shower.
>
> The carb crud problem I see is a clear gel that dries to a white powder.
> Supposedly it is aluminum hydroxide dissolved from the castings with the
> help of ethanol and water.

Usually in carburetors I see brown black gunk that is dried and hardened
fuel additives left after the benzene (and alcohol) evaporates.

This is clearly green copper corrosion growth on the brass pickup tubes
(and a brass orifice in the base of the bowl. These look like your
typical zinc alloy casting, so damage to the carb body is a concern.
I'm not going to arc test it to see whether or not I get a pink arc, but
that's my guess. There is no sign of lead contamination deterioration
or other carb body erosion so its a properly made casting. Being on a
2005 engine that makes them 18+ years old. Plenty of time for bad
manufacturing methods to show up. Not cheap carbs you can buy on
Alibaba for next to nothing for your vintage mini bike.
--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)

<175503c49b32ea92$1$3726760$1aa14cb9@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7328&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7328

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 09:02:58 +1000
 by: Clifford Heath - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 23:02 UTC

On 12/04/23 08:32, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Leon Fisk"  wrote in message news:u14bmt$2mcr1$1@dont-email.me...
>
> Jim is the resident chemist that might have some cleaning brass
> corrosion ideas...
>
> -----------------
>
> Ammonia, but it can be too aggressive to the metal as well. I lost a car
> radiator to/from sitting open in a horse stable while I was getting the
> head repaired after the timing belt broke. Now I change the belts on
> schedule religiously (on my knees).
>
> I haven't tried this:
> https://blog.thepipingmart.com/metals/how-to-remove-corrosion-from-brass-fittings/
>

> Vinegar plus Dawn slowly attacks soap scum in the shower.
>
> The carb crud problem I see is a clear gel that dries to a white powder.
> Supposedly it is aluminum hydroxide dissolved from the castings with the
> help of ethanol and water.

I use Citric Acid for iron&steel parts. Have some brass I need to clean,
I might try that and let you know how it goes.

Citrates are easy to remove and/or are soluble, unlike some acetates.
Better all round.

Clifford Heath

Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)

<u14ppi$2ns5a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7329&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7329

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 00:17:06 +0100
 by: David Billington - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 23:17 UTC

On 11/04/2023 23:32, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Leon Fisk"  wrote in message news:u14bmt$2mcr1$1@dont-email.me...
>
> Jim is the resident chemist that might have some cleaning brass
> corrosion ideas...
>
> -----------------
>
> Ammonia, but it can be too aggressive to the metal as well. I lost a
> car radiator to/from sitting open in a horse stable while I was
> getting the head repaired after the timing belt broke. Now I change
> the belts on schedule religiously (on my knees).
>
> I haven't tried this:
> https://blog.thepipingmart.com/metals/how-to-remove-corrosion-from-brass-fittings/
>

> Vinegar plus Dawn slowly attacks soap scum in the shower.
>
> The carb crud problem I see is a clear gel that dries to a white
> powder. Supposedly it is aluminum hydroxide dissolved from the
> castings with the help of ethanol and water.

Not sure about the ammonia suggestion as it attacks the zinc in brass
and is what some people I know use to make brass go green when they want
that patination.

Vinegar would be a better bet or a condiment containing it. A woman I
know swears by tomato ketchup for cleaning her horse brasses.

Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)

<u148tf$2mkfg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7330&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7330

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 11:29:02 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 18:29 UTC

Water in Fuel 2005 Merc 50 ELPTO

I'm starting to renew my interest fishing although I will probably never
again be a go-fast hard charging local tournament fixture. I have had a
new fishing buddy (a few years now) kind of reignite my interest in
fishing if not all the other stuff associated. I'm trying to keep it
simple. Mostly we have been fishing out of his boat, because I mostly
didn't go if I wasn't invited. Since I've been getting back into it
there have been a few times I wanted to go when he couldn't. A few of
those times I went... and my boat ran like crap or hardly at all. A year
or so ago I pulled the carbs, find some minor restrictions, cleaned them
up and it ran a little better for maybe one trip. Mostly I was still
fishing out of my buddy's boat so I left it sit. Its pretty funny. I
took him out a few years ago, and shortly after he bought a boat. The
other day I made some baits with him in my back shop and yesterday he
showed me all the new tackle making stuff he bought. He goes all in. I
had to laugh when he opened his cabin to show me his first plastic
purchase was ten gallons. When I first started (a long time ago) I think
my first plastic purchases was a single pint.

A month or so I got out in my boat (The Tin Can) and it wouldn't run
past an idle. It would go in gear and idle just fine, but any throttle
and it sounded like crap and died. I figured it was a fuel issue because
if I bumped the choke it would speed up and keep running. A week or so
ago I pulled the carbs and discovered all the brass pickup tubes were
green. One was plugged solid. I had to make an extended d drill out of a
piece of wire to clear it from the top of the carb. I didn't really
think about it, but after cleaning all the passages the carbs seemed to
work just like they should. Nothing was sticky. Without thinking i
slapped the carbs back on, put a cuff on it and ran it on the hose. It
seemed to run okay at idle and with some throttle, but it was surging a
little. I hoped a few runs on the lake would clear it up as so often
works. Not this time. On the water it was hard to start, and would
barely run in gear. Sigh.

Okay I'm slow. Or perhaps overly hopeful. The clue I obliviously ignored
was that all the pickup tubes were green. A little water isn't going to
turn brass green. They had to be sitting in water for a while for that
to happen.

Water in Fuel 2005 Merc 50 ELPTO.

So... I'm going to pull the carbs again to drain and dry them. I don't
want to dump the fuel in the bowl into the engine cowling, and I can
barely reach the drain on the bottom carb anyway. I was debating the
best way to drain the tank when I remember I have a 6 gallon tote tank
around somewhere I can use to test on good fresh gas. If it runs okay I
can pretty much diagnose its bad/wet gas.

I'm curious if there is a way to "easily" remove ALL the green copper
corrosion of the brass, or if I need to just do it with tiny fine
abrasives/polishers by hand and plan to spend an afternoon doing it?

I'd also like to know if there is anything else I should look for as a
result of running wet gas through the engine?

Is it worth the bother to buy some Heet or should I just dump the gas in
the tank and get rid of it?

(I still go fishing when the outboard doesn't run well. I just use the
electric and stay relatively close (mile or so) to the launch.)

--
Bob La Londe
Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a

www.avg.com

Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)

<u151lp$2oe50$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7331&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7331

From: bp...@www.zefox.net (bob prohaska)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 01:31:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bob prohaska - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 01:31 UTC

David Billington <djb@invalid.com> wrote:

> Vinegar would be a better bet or a condiment containing it. A woman I
> know swears by tomato ketchup for cleaning her horse brasses.

Pine-Sol is another organic acid that is worth a try. I've used it
to clean motorcycle carburetors. Full strength cold it doesn't do
much, but as it's heated to boiling it gets visibly aggressive.
No ultrasonic action required, but it would probably help. Don't
leave valuable parts unattended.

No fire hazard, but the "original scent" version _really_ stinks
when it's boiling. I used an electric hot plate in the back yard,
the smell was noticeable out front.

The active ingredient is glycolic acid, which is in some degree
like soap: The acid part is attracted to water, the glycolic
part is miscible with organic compounds.

Good luck,

bob prohaska

Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)

<u151v9$2oe0f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7332&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7332

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 18:36:41 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 01:36 UTC

On 4/11/2023 1:41 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2023 15:20:20 -0500
> Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> My neighbor puts carb stuff in a small container of gasoline (with a
>> lid) then sets that container in an ultrasonic with another liquid
>> (forget what he uses , maybe water?) . He says gas works better than
>> most "cleaning solutions" but he doesn't want the gunk in his cleaner -
>> or the possibility of a rapid deflagration . I have added him to my
>> (very short) list of people who are allowed to work on my stuff .
>
> Maybe I'd try this outside while watching with a CO2 extinguisher in
> hand. Pretty sure it would be a last resort, Hail-Mary kinda thing
> though...
>
> I've wanted an ultrasonic cleaner to experiment with for years. Stories
> I hear sound too-good-to-be-true...

"Back in the day," we used to fill the parts washer behind my dad's
hardware store with kerosene, and we used kerosene as a cutting
lubricant for scoring window glass to cut it to size for customers. I
cleaned a lot of engine parts and more than a handfull of transmission
parts with kerosene. For particularly nasty parts I was known to hand
wash with gasoline. A mop bucket half full of gasoline did wonders.
When I was to that point we were post lead, and pre-alcohol for gas. I
may have also played with a little gas. If you get a good vapor cloud
you can ignite it with a spark, but you need a hot spark. It doesn't
spontaneously flash. I've seen guys put a cigarette out by flicking it
in a bucket of gasoline, but I think that would be risky on a hot summer
day when the gas is almost visibly evaporating. Gas(benzene) is scary,
but not quite as scary as its made out to be. Not like acetylene. I
have seen acetylene ignite without a spark. I think I described the
circumstance on this group not long after it happened.

I would still use kerosene in my parts cleaner, but I keep it outside
where it evaporates before I can use it again, and I don't have 55
gallon barrel of it out back to fill cans for customer's lamps like we
did, "back in the day."

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)

<u16787$314te$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7333&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7333

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 08:11:49 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 12:11 UTC

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news:u164f5$30o02$1@dont-email.me...

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_ammine_complex

Plant and animal life depends on this nitrogen to metal bonding, in plants
as chlorophyll and in animals as hemoglobin, which are quite similar.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemoglobin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorophyll

Some invertebrates and Vulcans have a different, less efficient copper-based
blood oxygen carrier. Evolution has produced more than one solution to the
same problem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemocyanin

Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)

<u164f5$30o02$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7334&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7334

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 07:24:19 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 11:24 UTC

"David Billington" wrote in message news:u14ppi$2ns5a$1@dont-email.me...

On 11/04/2023 23:32, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> Ammonia, but it can be too aggressive to the metal as well.
Not sure about the ammonia suggestion as it attacks the zinc in brass
and is what some people I know use to make brass go green when they want
that patination.

Vinegar would be a better bet or a condiment containing it. A woman I
know swears by tomato ketchup for cleaning her horse brasses.

---------------------

I tried ammonia on corroded brass only once, in a Ziploc bag so I could
squeeze the air out. Without oxygen it cleaned the brass, with it the brass
corroded again.

Many molecules including ammonia can bind to metal atoms and make them water
soluble, the way soap does to oil. Some are weak acids like citric or
oxalic, but their acidity contributes less than their binding ability.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_ammine_complex

Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)

<u21qov$3fj6d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7378&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7378

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 16:31:43 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 23:31 UTC

On 4/11/2023 11:29 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> [...]
> barely reach the drain on the bottom carb anyway. I was debating the
> best way to drain the tank when I remember I have a 6 gallon tote tank
> around somewhere I can use to test on good fresh gas. If it runs okay I
> can pretty much diagnose its bad/wet gas.
>
> I'm curious if there is a way to "easily" remove ALL the green copper
> corrosion of the brass, or if I need to just do it with tiny fine
> abrasives/polishers by hand and plan to spend an afternoon doing it?
>
> I'd also like to know if there is anything else I should look for as a
> result of running wet gas through the engine?
>
> Is it worth the bother to buy some Heet or should I just dump the gas in
> the tank and get rid of it?
>
> (I still go fishing when the outboard doesn't run well.  I just use the
> electric and stay relatively close (mile or so) to the launch.)

Cleaning carburetors is sooooo much fun. As I was cleaning number 2, I
realized I never cleaned "this passage" on number 1, so it comes back
apart again.

It must be fun. This is the third time I've been inside number 1 TODAY.

By the time I finish #3 I might figure out everything I need to clean
and degunk.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)

<u2210l$3gn2a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7381&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7381

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 20:18:14 -0500
 by: Snag - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 01:18 UTC

On 4/22/2023 6:31 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> [...]
>> corrosion of the brass, or if I need to just do it with tiny fine
>> abrasives/polishers by hand and plan to spend an afternoon doing it?
>>
>> I'd also like to know if there is anything else I should look for as a
>> result of running wet gas through the engine?
>>
>> Is it worth the bother to buy some Heet or should I just dump the gas
>> in the tank and get rid of it?
>>
>> (I still go fishing when the outboard doesn't run well.  I just use
>> the electric and stay relatively close (mile or so) to the launch.)
>>

> Cleaning carburetors is sooooo much fun.  As I was cleaning number 2, I
> realized I never cleaned "this passage" on number 1, so it comes back
> apart again.
>
> It must be fun.  This is the third time I've been inside number 1 TODAY.
>
> By the time I finish #3 I might figure out everything I need to clean

My neighbor does some small engine repair/tune-up . He uses a small
container of gasoline submerged in water in his ultrasonic unit to clean
carb parts . He's got one of my chain saws right now for a carb kit
(yard sale buy that sat for years for cheap) .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Removing Copper Corrosion (minimal metal content)

<u221rd$3gqnp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7383&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7383

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 18:32:29 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 01:32 UTC

On 4/22/2023 6:18 PM, Snag wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Is it worth the bother to buy some Heet or should I just dump the gas
>>> in the tank and get rid of it?
>>>
>>> (I still go fishing when the outboard doesn't run well.  I just use
>>> the electric and stay relatively close (mile or so) to the launch.)
>>>

>> Cleaning carburetors is sooooo much fun.  As I was cleaning number 2,
>> I realized I never cleaned "this passage" on number 1, so it comes
>> back apart again.
>>
>> It must be fun.  This is the third time I've been inside number 1 TODAY.
>>
>> By the time I finish #3 I might figure out everything I need to clean
>> and degunk.
>>

>   My neighbor does some small engine repair/tune-up . He uses a small
> container of gasoline submerged in water in his ultrasonic unit to clean
> carb parts . He's got one of my chain saws right now for a carb kit
> (yard sale buy that sat for years for cheap) .

Of course as I was sitting there putting number 1 back together again I
couldn't help but wonder why there was a main jet setting on the work
bench. I guess in my hurry to get #1 apart and back together again I
rushed a wee bit on number 2. I am now about to pull #3 apart again for
the first time today. LOL.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff