From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: One step left ...
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 12:58:16 -0500
 by: Snag - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 17:58 UTC

Since Jim brought up my end mill sharpening fixture in another thread
I thought I'd update .
Everything is finished except a pin wrench to tighten the collet nut
.. I used the inside threads in my 5C collets because of tight space and
the nut is down in a hole . I spent yesterday afternoon setting up the
RT and drilling the index holes in the collet holder . 12 holes which
will let me sharpen 2, 3, 4, and 6 flute end mills . Thinking about it
now it would have only needed 4 more holes to do 8 flute , but I don't
have any so I guess that's moot .
The second go-round with the fixture base went much better than the
first . I started with a larger block , and milled all the angles after
I machined the big hole on the lathe . The bigger block makes for a much
more stable tool with more gripping surface in the vise . I also got the
mandrel pieces to mount my grinding disc machined this past week . I
used my mandrel shaft from the gear cutters , with new parts to adapt
the 1.25" hole in the disc with the .863" lower shaft . The upper shaft
is .750" since that's the biggest collet my R8 spindle will accept (and
I haven't attempted an R8 mandrel shaft yet) . I may need to get a
diamond dresser , I think I have about .001 runout on the face . Not bad
but probably not quite good enough . We'll see .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: One step left ...

<u23tel$3tqab$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7395&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7395

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: One step left ...
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 13:29:40 -0500
 by: Snag - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 18:29 UTC

On 4/23/2023 1:07 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 4/23/2023 10:58 AM, Snag wrote:
>>    Since Jim brought up my end mill sharpening fixture in another
>> thread I thought I'd update .
>>    Everything is finished except a pin wrench to tighten the collet
>> nut . I used the inside threads in my 5C collets because of tight
>> space and the nut is down in a hole . I spent yesterday afternoon
>> setting up the RT and drilling the index holes in the collet holder .
>> 12 holes which will let me sharpen 2, 3, 4, and 6 flute end mills .
>> Thinking about it now it would have only needed 4 more holes to do 8
>> flute , but I don't have any so I guess that's moot .
>>    The second go-round with the fixture base went much better than the
>> first . I started with a larger block , and milled all the angles
>> after I machined the big hole on the lathe . The bigger block makes
>> for a much more stable tool with more gripping surface in the vise . I
>> also got the mandrel pieces to mount my grinding disc machined this
>> past week . I used my mandrel shaft from the gear cutters , with new
>> parts to adapt the 1.25" hole in the disc with the .863" lower shaft .
>> The upper shaft is .750" since that's the biggest collet my R8 spindle
>> will accept (and I haven't attempted an R8 mandrel shaft yet) . I may
>> need to get a diamond dresser , I think I have about .001 runout on
>> the face . Not bad but probably not quite good enough . We'll see .
>
> Just grab the "shock" adjust tool for your Go Dog Robyn engine powered
> yard cart.
>
> I only half joke.  I actually use a tool like that on one of my collet
> chucks.

The tool for the outside collet nuts is a semicircle with a tab at
the far end to engage the hole in the nut ... very much like the shock
adjusting tool for a motorcycle or ATV ... but it won't work here . The
only access to the collet nut is the face , which I have drilled 2 holes
in . Kinda like the nut on your angle grinder 'cept it's solid .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: One step left ...

<u243se$3uql6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7397&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7397

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 16:18:17 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 20:18 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:u23s5j$3tehf$3@dont-email.me...

On 4/23/2023 10:58 AM, Snag wrote:
> Since Jim brought up my end mill sharpening fixture in another thread I
> thought I'd update .
> Everything is finished except a pin wrench to tighten the collet nut.

Just grab the "shock" adjust tool for your Go Dog Robyn engine powered
yard cart.

I only half joke. I actually use a tool like that on one of my collet
chucks.
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

--------------------------
HF sells an adjustable pin spanner. 3/16" steel welding rod is stiff enough
to bend into a durable one.

I've made several spanner wrenches from 1/8" flat stock with the ends bent
down to fit radial slots. The custom 5C closer nut that I made with a
centering hole to grind S&D bits in my endmill fixture has 4 slots and a
matching wrench. They are small enough to finish carefully and add to the
portfolio of my work that I took to job interviews. Their bare steel proved
that they weren't bought. Much of what I had done for others couldn't be
mentioned.

Re: One step left ...

<u23s5j$3tehf$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7415&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7415

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 11:07:46 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 18:07 UTC

www.avg.com