"355/113 -- Not the famous irrational number PI, but an incredible simulation!"

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendation

SubjectAuthor
* multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendationRichard Smith
`* Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendationDavid Billington
 `* Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendationBob La Londe
  +- Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendationSnag
  `* Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendationGlen Walpert
   +- Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendationRichard Smith
   +* Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendationBob La Londe
   |`* Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendationGerry
   | `* Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendationLaura Allen
   |  `* Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendationGlen Walpert
   |   +- Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendationLaura Allen
   |   `- Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendationRichard Smith
   `* Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendationClifford Heath
    +- Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendationJim Wilkins
    `- Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendationRichard Smith

1
multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendation

<lyleioxqha.fsf@void.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7362&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7362

From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendation
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 08:48:01 +0100
sha1:tv1r0yPOxT5J6dCLdBVY62plfvQ= sha256:rZLexBLDmokJky7QCf/i5MnHYZLvm1V8fqvkgYP6J14=
sha1:cUPdv+sOl+natRa4wpZazlwl/DU= sha256:4ixac+D/mIiVg5mI30IAWIWEbfI+1o+aS1gUFKYyOoo=
 by: Richard Smith - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 07:48 UTC

Hi all
Building work - repairs to a bricks-and-mortar house...
I need to get a "multitool".
Advice sought.
To disambiguate - I don't mean many-implements hand tools like a
"Leatherman" or a "Swiss Army Knife".
One version I have been briefed is that the "general rule" for
multitools is not the same as for angle-grinders.
I am used to never buying a "cheap" angle-grinder because it will
vibrate, get hot - just basically you wish what little you have to do
is over as soon as possible. Whereas I work at-ease all day with
"well-known brand" angle-grinders.
For "multitool" I have heard different - doesn't so much matter, but
quality of the cutting implements does matter.
This is all new to me. Only just had to get into "domestic building"
tasks...
Regards,

Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendation

<u1ot5j$2q4p$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7363&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7363

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 15:17:23 +0100
 by: David Billington - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 14:17 UTC

On 19/04/2023 08:48, Richard Smith wrote:
> Hi all
> Building work - repairs to a bricks-and-mortar house...
> I need to get a "multitool".
> Advice sought.
> To disambiguate - I don't mean many-implements hand tools like a
> "Leatherman" or a "Swiss Army Knife".
> One version I have been briefed is that the "general rule" for
> multitools is not the same as for angle-grinders.
> I am used to never buying a "cheap" angle-grinder because it will
> vibrate, get hot - just basically you wish what little you have to do
> is over as soon as possible. Whereas I work at-ease all day with
> "well-known brand" angle-grinders.
> For "multitool" I have heard different - doesn't so much matter, but
> quality of the cutting implements does matter.
> This is all new to me. Only just had to get into "domestic building"
> tasks...
> Regards,

I don't have one but a woodworker I used to know had a cheap one which
worked but when it died he went a bought a Makita IIRC to replace it and
he said it was much better than the cheap one and was glad he spent the
extra money.

Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendation

<u1p9bt$4ofb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7364&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7364

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 10:45:31 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 17:45 UTC

On 4/19/2023 7:17 AM, David Billington wrote:
> On 19/04/2023 08:48, Richard Smith wrote:
>> Hi all
>> Building work - repairs to a bricks-and-mortar house...
>> I need to get a "multitool".
>> Advice sought.
>> To disambiguate - I don't mean many-implements hand tools like a
>> "Leatherman" or a "Swiss Army Knife".
>> One version I have been briefed is that the "general rule" for
>> multitools is not the same as for angle-grinders.
>> I am used to never buying a "cheap" angle-grinder because it will
>> vibrate, get hot - just basically you wish what little you have to do
>> is over as soon as possible.  Whereas I work at-ease all day with
>> "well-known brand" angle-grinders.
>> For "multitool" I have heard different - doesn't so much matter, but
>> quality of the cutting implements does matter.
>> This is all new to me.  Only just had to get into "domestic building"
>> tasks...
>> Regards,
>
> I don't have one but a woodworker I used to know had a cheap one which
> worked but when it died he went a bought a Makita IIRC to replace it and
> he said it was much better than the cheap one and was glad he spent the
> extra money.

I remember when oscillating multi tools first started to become known.
Before they became the cult like fad they are today.

"Look you can use it like a saw." Yeah, but wouldn't a saw work better
as a saw?

"Look you can use it like a scraper." Yeah, but wouldn't a scraper make
a better scraper.

"Look you can use it like..." HOLDUP. Can I use it for setting rivets?
"We'll no."

How about as an engraver, "Maybe I guess."

Does it drill holes? "What?"

Can I drive nails with it? "Huh?"

What does it do better than the tool it emulates? "I don't know."

Okay. What does it do that no other tool does?

CHIRP! CHIRP! CHIRP!

Don't get me wrong. Obviously thousands of people have decided its a
worthwhile tool. I am obviously wrong. I just don't understand it.
Making cricket noises naybe? Nah, a cricket does that much better.

P.S. I saw one used one time for a use that might have been difficult
for any other tool. They used it to cut the bottom edge off drywall to
slide flooring underneath so they could seal a floor were the home owner
didn't want baseboards. There is a whole lot wrong with that you can
unpack if you like, but there was one instance where I'm not sure of any
other tool that would have done the job more efficiently. Maybe a
compact circular saw of some kind could have done it faster if the
spacing could be worked out.

--
Bob La Londe
Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a

www.avg.com

Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendation

<u1pijl$67tp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7365&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7365

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 15:23:13 -0500
 by: Snag - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 20:23 UTC

On 4/19/2023 12:45 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 4/19/2023 7:17 AM, David Billington wrote:
>> On 19/04/2023 08:48, Richard Smith wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>> Building work - repairs to a bricks-and-mortar house...
>>> I need to get a "multitool".
>>> Advice sought.
>>> To disambiguate - I don't mean many-implements hand tools like a
>>> "Leatherman" or a "Swiss Army Knife".
>>> One version I have been briefed is that the "general rule" for
>>> multitools is not the same as for angle-grinders.
>>> I am used to never buying a "cheap" angle-grinder because it will
>>> vibrate, get hot - just basically you wish what little you have to do
>>> is over as soon as possible.  Whereas I work at-ease all day with
>>> "well-known brand" angle-grinders.
>>> For "multitool" I have heard different - doesn't so much matter, but
>>> quality of the cutting implements does matter.
>>> This is all new to me.  Only just had to get into "domestic building"
>>> tasks...
>>> Regards,
>>
>> I don't have one but a woodworker I used to know had a cheap one which
>> worked but when it died he went a bought a Makita IIRC to replace it
>> and he said it was much better than the cheap one and was glad he
>> spent the extra money.
>>

> I remember when oscillating multi tools first started to become known.
> Before they became the cult like fad they are today.
>
> "Look you can use it like a saw."  Yeah, but wouldn't a saw work better
> as a saw?
>
> "Look you can use it like a scraper."  Yeah, but wouldn't a scraper make
> a better scraper.
>
> "Look you can use it like..."  HOLDUP.  Can I use it for setting rivets?
>  "We'll no."
>
> How about as an engraver, "Maybe I guess."
>
> Does it drill holes?  "What?"
>
> Can I drive nails with it?  "Huh?"
>
> What does it do better than the tool it emulates?  "I don't know."
>
> Okay.  What does it do that no other tool does?
>
> CHIRP!  CHIRP!  CHIRP!
>
> Don't get me wrong.  Obviously thousands of people have decided its a
> worthwhile tool.  I am obviously wrong.  I just don't understand it.
> Making cricket noises naybe?  Nah, a cricket does that much better.
>
> P.S.  I saw one used one time for a use that might have been difficult
> for any other tool.  They used it to cut the bottom edge off drywall to
> slide flooring underneath so they could seal a floor were the home owner
> didn't want baseboards.  There is a whole lot wrong with that you can
> unpack if you like, but there was one instance where I'm not sure of any
> other tool that would have done the job more efficiently.  Maybe a
> compact circular saw of some kind could have done it faster if the
> spacing could be worked out.

There is a type of circular saw that is used by flooring installers
that cuts the bottom of door jambs off so the flooring can be slid under
.. Oddly enough , it's called a jamb saw ...
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendation

<C8Y%L.2251415$9sn9.93681@fx17.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7366&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7366

From: nos...@null.void (Glen Walpert)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 20:27:14 GMT
 by: Glen Walpert - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 20:27 UTC

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 10:45:31 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

> On 4/19/2023 7:17 AM, David Billington wrote:
>> On 19/04/2023 08:48, Richard Smith wrote:
>>> Hi all Building work - repairs to a bricks-and-mortar house...
>>> I need to get a "multitool".
>>> Advice sought.
>>> To disambiguate - I don't mean many-implements hand tools like a
>>> "Leatherman" or a "Swiss Army Knife".
>>> One version I have been briefed is that the "general rule" for
>>> multitools is not the same as for angle-grinders.
>>> I am used to never buying a "cheap" angle-grinder because it will
>>> vibrate, get hot - just basically you wish what little you have to do
>>> is over as soon as possible.  Whereas I work at-ease all day with
>>> "well-known brand" angle-grinders.
>>> For "multitool" I have heard different - doesn't so much matter, but
>>> quality of the cutting implements does matter.
>>> This is all new to me.  Only just had to get into "domestic building"
>>> tasks...
>>> Regards,
>>
>> I don't have one but a woodworker I used to know had a cheap one which
>> worked but when it died he went a bought a Makita IIRC to replace it
>> and he said it was much better than the cheap one and was glad he spent
>> the extra money.
>>

> I remember when oscillating multi tools first started to become known.
> Before they became the cult like fad they are today.
>
> "Look you can use it like a saw." Yeah, but wouldn't a saw work better
> as a saw?

What other kind of saw will make a plunge cut flush to a surface through a
variety of materials including nails?

> Okay. What does it do that no other tool does?

Besides fast accurate plunge cuts it fits in places no other saw will fit,
and the sanding pad with 36 grit paper is great at stripping paint bits
left behind by scrapers and larger sanders. With the right cutter it is
the fastest way to cut in holes for electrical boxes in drywall or
plaster - sometimes speed matters.

> P.S. I saw one used one time for a use that might have been difficult
> for any other tool. They used it to cut the bottom edge off drywall to
> slide flooring underneath so they could seal a floor were the home owner
> didn't want baseboards. There is a whole lot wrong with that you can
> unpack if you like, but there was one instance where I'm not sure of any
> other tool that would have done the job more efficiently. Maybe a
> compact circular saw of some kind could have done it faster if the
> spacing could be worked out.
>
> --
> Bob La Londe Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button
> Pushing, Not a real machinist

There are lots of uses where nothing else will do the job as fast. I have
2 of them, a cheap Ridgid corded tool which works fine but I no longer use
because the Milwaukee M12 tool is easier to use especially on a ladder. I
also considered the Milwaukee M18 tool, better for heavy duty work but
harder to use for precision plunge cuts per reviews. I only looked at
Milwaukee because I already have their batteries, other brands could be as
good.

Not too many metalworking uses though :-).

Glen

Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendation

<lyv8hrzicz.fsf@void.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7367&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7367

From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 22:12:44 +0100
sha1:Ed7g/AFAYlRnEH5h8DJKzIYpcMs= sha256:8YCbUX1BgskJdYOyO7EpN4mcgjpFtwiyymf2FmOfCcA=
sha1:NkaxcsIiJdGIYAJfQjBSg0V8KD0= sha256:dYEM99lQ8NcIOzoFDCkY0fLxdGL3ZRw1l8Ua+075AKA=
 by: Richard Smith - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 21:12 UTC

Glen Walpert <nospam@null.void> writes:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 10:45:31 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

>>> I don't have one but a woodworker I used to know had a cheap one which
>>> worked but when it died he went a bought a Makita IIRC to replace it
>>> and he said it was much better than the cheap one and was glad he spent
>>> the extra money.
>>>

>> I remember when oscillating multi tools first started to become known.
>> Before they became the cult like fad they are today.
>>
>> "Look you can use it like a saw." Yeah, but wouldn't a saw work better
>> as a saw?
>
> What other kind of saw will make a plunge cut flush to a surface through a
> variety of materials including nails?
>
>> Okay. What does it do that no other tool does?
>
> Besides fast accurate plunge cuts it fits in places no other saw will fit,
> and the sanding pad with 36 grit paper is great at stripping paint bits
> left behind by scrapers and larger sanders. With the right cutter it is
> the fastest way to cut in holes for electrical boxes in drywall or
> plaster - sometimes speed matters.
>
>> P.S. I saw one used one time for a use that might have been difficult
>> for any other tool. They used it to cut the bottom edge off drywall to
>> slide flooring underneath so they could seal a floor were the home owner
>> didn't want baseboards. There is a whole lot wrong with that you can
>> unpack if you like, but there was one instance where I'm not sure of any
>> other tool that would have done the job more efficiently. Maybe a
>> compact circular saw of some kind could have done it faster if the
>> spacing could be worked out.
>>
>> --
>> Bob La Londe Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button
>> Pushing, Not a real machinist
>
> There are lots of uses where nothing else will do the job as fast. I have
> 2 of them, a cheap Ridgid corded tool which works fine but I no longer use
> because the Milwaukee M12 tool is easier to use especially on a ladder. I
> also considered the Milwaukee M18 tool, better for heavy duty work but
> harder to use for precision plunge cuts per reviews. I only looked at
> Milwaukee because I already have their batteries, other brands could be as
> good.
>
> Not too many metalworking uses though :-).
>
> Glen

That's as I understand it.
Plunge cuts.
Very awkward narrow access spaces.
Sliding the blade under things, often at floor level

The point about almosty never metal - yes.
Ceramic especially old grout removal.
Wood, *GRP/fibreglass*. Latter much valued

Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendation

<u1plj3$6mp0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7368&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7368

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 14:14:10 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 21:14 UTC

On 4/19/2023 1:27 PM, Glen Walpert wrote:

> Not too many metalworking uses though :-).
>
> Glen

You did say it cuts nails...

--
Bob La Londe
Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a
real machinist

www.avg.com

Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendation

<6d814id7orefdnuiot6ci38v4mn01g8iec@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7369&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7369

From: geraldrm...@yahoo.ca (Gerry)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 22:22:15 -0400
 by: Gerry - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 02:22 UTC

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 14:14:10 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
wrote:

>On 4/19/2023 1:27 PM, Glen Walpert wrote:
>

>> Not too many metalworking uses though :-).
>>
>> Glen
>
>You did say it cuts nails...
and toilet bolts

>--
>Bob La Londe
>Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a
>real machinist

Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendation

<6481d18c-3ae5-4521-827f-5208910eb81dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7370&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7370

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 19:51:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: sierrafl...@yahoo.com (Laura Allen)
 by: Laura Allen - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 02:51 UTC

On Wednesday, April 19, 2023 at 7:22:22 PM UTC-7, Gerry wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 14:14:10 -0700, Bob La Londe <no...@none.com99>
> wrote:
> >On 4/19/2023 1:27 PM, Glen Walpert wrote:
> >

> >> Not too many metalworking uses though :-).
> >>
> >> Glen
> >
> >You did say it cuts nails...
> and toilet bolts
> >
> >--
> >Bob La Londe
> >Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a
> >real machinist
If you really want a good one & plan to use it & not let it sit get a Fein Multi master , I think their the best one out there . I use mine almost daily & i'm on my 3rd one but I have a HF budjet not a Fein budget . They are also very handy for removing cast;s from arms & legs .I'd like to see one cut nails .
animal

Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendation

<oDb0M.1573437$Tcw8.520598@fx10.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7371&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7371

From: nos...@null.void (Glen Walpert)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 14:04:04 GMT
 by: Glen Walpert - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 14:04 UTC

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 19:51:16 -0700 (PDT), Laura Allen wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 19, 2023 at 7:22:22 PM UTC-7, Gerry wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 14:14:10 -0700, Bob La Londe <no...@none.com99>
>> wrote:

>> >You did say it cuts nails...
>> and toilet bolts
>> >
>> >--
>> >Bob La Londe Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button
>> >Pushing, Not a real machinist
> If you really want a good one & plan to use it & not let it sit get a
> Fein Multi master , I think their the best one out there . I use mine
> almost daily & i'm on my 3rd one but I have a HF budjet not a Fein
> budget . They are also very handy for removing cast;s from arms & legs
> .I'd like to see one cut nails .
> animal

Fein is definitely top of the line. I use Fein sanding pads & paper on my
Milwaukee.

Nail cutting test:

https://youtu.be/joVfNnbweYY

There are also diamond blades for grout removal. They are a bit
expensive, so I am planning on cutting off a segment of old diamond
masonry blade and welding it to the end of a worn out bit, so I can plunge
cut through stucco. I have heard of users welding pieces of hacksaw
blades to the end of worn out multitool blades also.

Glen

Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendation

<06e8d171-f015-4e43-b10d-77b883b60951n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7373&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7373

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 17:40:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: sierrafl...@yahoo.com (Laura Allen)
 by: Laura Allen - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 00:40 UTC

On Thursday, April 20, 2023 at 7:04:09 AM UTC-7, Glen Walpert wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 19:51:16 -0700 (PDT), Laura Allen wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, April 19, 2023 at 7:22:22 PM UTC-7, Gerry wrote:

> >> and toilet bolts

> > If you really want a good one & plan to use it & not let it sit get a
> > Fein Multi master , I think their the best one out there . I use mine
> > almost daily & i'm on my 3rd one but I have a HF budjet not a Fein
> > budget . They are also very handy for removing cast;s from arms & legs
> > .I'd like to see one cut nails .
> > animal
> Fein is definitely top of the line. I use Fein sanding pads & paper on my
> Milwaukee.
>
> Nail cutting test:
>
> https://youtu.be/joVfNnbweYY
>
> There are also diamond blades for grout removal. They are a bit
> expensive, so I am planning on cutting off a segment of old diamond
> masonry blade and welding it to the end of a worn out bit, so I can plunge
> cut through stucco. I have heard of users welding pieces of hacksaw
> blades to the end of worn out multitool blades also.
>
> Glen

Wow , that's pretty impressive ! I can't say I'm surprised at the wear rate on those blades though .
thanks
animal

Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendation

<lya5z1lnnu.fsf@void.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7374&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7374

From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 08:06:29 +0100
sha1:COn8MLLGceX9LQAkJVmAB+NlYNE= sha256:dQnHDPrJcHNcUGCI8obXC4QPDsWuMDUk2b/aeFjMsyQ=
sha1:bsCg+/yrm5vRGRImdZ6WnjWduUU= sha256:kBiy0J5bdI28xu8lRScvp+psyrIoYymWnAkKQZzoDo0=
 by: Richard Smith - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 07:06 UTC

Glen Walpert <nospam@null.void> writes:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 19:51:16 -0700 (PDT), Laura Allen wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, April 19, 2023 at 7:22:22 PM UTC-7, Gerry wrote:

>>> and toilet bolts

>> If you really want a good one & plan to use it & not let it sit get a
>> Fein Multi master , I think their the best one out there . I use mine
>> almost daily & i'm on my 3rd one but I have a HF budjet not a Fein
>> budget . They are also very handy for removing cast;s from arms & legs
>> .I'd like to see one cut nails .
>> animal
>
> Fein is definitely top of the line. I use Fein sanding pads & paper on my
> Milwaukee.
>
> Nail cutting test:
>
> https://youtu.be/joVfNnbweYY
>
> There are also diamond blades for grout removal. They are a bit
> expensive, so I am planning on cutting off a segment of old diamond
> masonry blade and welding it to the end of a worn out bit, so I can plunge
> cut through stucco. I have heard of users welding pieces of hacksaw
> blades to the end of worn out multitool blades also.
>
> Glen

Thanks words of wisdom.

Seen those half-round fitments of removing grout with multitool.
I used an angle grinder for that with a disk which is looks
conventional - a "carborundum"(ish) type - but optimised for
ceramic/masonry. Words portending doom mistaken - did two bathrooms
in no time non-event. Maybe "going the wrong way fast" would be if
angle-grinders weren't a familiar every-day tool?

Great test that guy does.
It's a Tradesperson / craft thing sin't it doing tests?
Just dawned on me. My PhD research - novel methods.
Finding a method to test strength of fillet welds and finding that is
"inexplicably" way-way high.
Etc.
Comes from this type of thinking.
We just look at things and think "There must be a way of finding out
the real deal here" - and find things which work.

Thanks, Rich S

Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendation

<1758b5c10c856366$2$1853841$5aa10cad@news.thecubenet.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7403&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7403

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 09:58:19 +1000
 by: Clifford Heath - Sun, 23 Apr 2023 23:58 UTC

On 20/04/23 06:27, Glen Walpert wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 10:45:31 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

>>> I don't have one but a woodworker I used to know had a cheap one which
>>> worked but when it died he went a bought a Makita IIRC to replace it
>>> and he said it was much better than the cheap one and was glad he spent
>>> the extra money.
>>>

>> I remember when oscillating multi tools first started to become known.
>> Before they became the cult like fad they are today.
>>
>> "Look you can use it like a saw." Yeah, but wouldn't a saw work better
>> as a saw?
>
> What other kind of saw will make a plunge cut flush to a surface through a
> variety of materials including nails?

You can buy flush-cutting diamond blades for an angle grinder, used
mostly for stonework. I modified an old one by grinding six "teeth" into
it using the bench grinder. It does a fine job of flush-cutting timber
(because of the teeth) and nails (because of the residual diamond). Not
for all-day use, but for the rare occasions where this special cut is
required.

I can imagine a job that a multi-tool would do better, but I've never
encountered such a job in real life.

Clifford Heath

Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendation

<u25nq8$ajaj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7407&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7407

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 07:04:35 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 11:04 UTC

"Clifford Heath" wrote in message

I can imagine a job that a multi-tool would do better, but I've never
encountered such a job in real life.

Clifford Heath

-----------------

Will a multi tool make a square cornered plunge cut, as for a door hinge
recess?

Re: multitool - oscillating blade power tool - recommendation

<ly8reh1q7k.fsf@void.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7408&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7408

From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 12:20:47 +0100
sha1:3HYTtav8OkeJ9hmfyu2AMIeK3IQ= sha256:WfNtOF00LNhVkibneDTBQ8Cn33c8JOrnsJtRUHhB21Q=
sha1:5pdzHqMw0E1JsVjMG6ZQgNy2Vd8= sha256:ORdxt7kKCJGmIdapvIN5IxYOxIfdC1R/Z9wy/Dm6cpM=
 by: Richard Smith - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 11:20 UTC

Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net> writes:

> On 20/04/23 06:27, Glen Walpert wrote:

>>> I remember when oscillating multi tools first started to become known.
>>> Before they became the cult like fad they are today.
>>>
>>> "Look you can use it like a saw." Yeah, but wouldn't a saw work better
>>> as a saw?
>>
>> What other kind of saw will make a plunge cut flush to a surface through a
>> variety of materials including nails?
>
> You can buy flush-cutting diamond blades for an angle grinder, used
> mostly for stonework. I modified an old one by grinding six "teeth"
> into it using the bench grinder. It does a fine job of flush-cutting
> timber (because of the teeth) and nails (because of the residual
> diamond). Not for all-day use, but for the rare occasions where this
> special cut is required.
>
> I can imagine a job that a multi-tool would do better, but I've never
> encountered such a job in real life.
>
> Clifford Heath

Thanks.

When angle-grinder is a familiar tool and with this 3mm-ish ceramic
abrasive disk, the cut is so very very smooth - to operate and the
result.

I'll back-off because I cannot compare. I use 12-inch "Stihl saws"
for masonary with such hard-particle-embedded steel disks.