Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Interesting Quora - What is in space below Earth?
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 08:37:49 -0800
 by: a425couple - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 16:37 UTC

Andy Duffell
Armourer, engineer, nerd.Updated May 14

What is in space below Earth?

If by “below" you mean to the south of Earth, then the answer is “most
of the galaxy".

Our solar system is actually tipped about 60° in relation to the plane
of the galaxy:

So at any one time a fair amount of the stars in the Milky Way are in
Earth's southern skies. I know, I grew up in the Southern Hemisphere and
I can assure you there are plenty of stars over the southern pole.

In fact, you get a much better view of the galactic centre from the
southern hemisphere. Check this out, you won’t get a night sky like this
in the northern hemisphere:

So basically, it's stars in every direction.

102.8K views1.8K upvotes21 shares36 comments

comment
Barry McGuinness
· May 15
I never knew about the 60° tilt. Fascinating

Re: Interesting Quora - What is in space below Earth?

<to4gq2$1oet5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=753&group=alt.fan.heinlein#753

From: richard....@gmail.com (Richard Harnden)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein
Subject: Re: Interesting Quora - What is in space below Earth?
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 15:17:22 +0000
 by: Richard Harnden - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 15:17 UTC

https://what-if.xkcd.com/161/