You might have mail.

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."

SubjectAuthor
* Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."Carol Kinsey Goman
+* Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."Siri Cruise
|`* Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."Carol Kinsey Goman
| +* Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."Governor Swill
| |+* Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."Carol Kinsey Goman
| ||+* Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."Al
| ||+- Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."Governor Swill
| ||`* Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."Scout
| || `- Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."Carol Kinsey Goman
| |`* Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."Siri Cruise
| | +- Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."Just Wondering
| | `* Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."Scout
| |  `- Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."Ubiquitous
| `* Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."Scout
|  `- Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."Carol Kinsey Goman
`* Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."Scout
 `- Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."Carol Kinsey Goman

Pages:12
Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."

<4rV3M.1691338$gGD7.1540089@fx11.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7532&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7532

Subject: Re: "[T]he right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited."
Newsgroups: misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,alt.california,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
<gbidnVqwYfJ5sEvNnZ2dnUVZ5vednZ2d@giganews.com> <kb5ban$70k$1@dont-email.me>
<WYydnfKPqeEvw0vNnZ2dnUVZ5gAAAAAA@giganews.com>
<a-GdnVhJGJMh8UvNnZ2dnUVZ_sKdnZ2d@mchsi.com>
<komdnfnXat5780vNnZ2dnUVZ5sednZ2d@giganews.com> <kb69pb$fmq$1@dont-email.me>
<ytc3M.355976$jiuc.115509@fx44.iad> <u2jn5a$324ng$2@dont-email.me>
<B3B3M.641629$PXw7.543418@fx45.iad>
<c3vt4itr3gspji8qeqeq3lcgs3irhfu5rn@4ax.com> <u2on66$8h06$2@dont-email.me>
<u2p7oc$baro$4@dont-email.me>
From: websperm...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 13:38:24 -0700
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 1 May 2023 20:38 UTC

On 5/1/2023 1:17 PM, Scout wrote:

> "Siri Cruise" <chine.bleu@www.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Governor Swill wrote:

>>> Agreed.  It is an individual right and is separate from any consideration of
>>> militia.
>>
>> What did Burger know?
>>
>> https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/how-nra-rewrote-second-amendment
>>

>> “A fraud on the American public.” That’s how former Chief Justice Warren
>> Burger described the idea that the Second Amendment gives an unfettered
>> individual right to a gun. When he spoke these words to PBS in 1990, the
>> rock-ribbed conservative appointed by Richard Nixon was expressing the
>> longtime consensus of historians and judges across the political spectrum.
>>
>> Twenty-five years later, Burger’s view seems as quaint as a powdered wig. Not
>> only is an individual right to a firearm widely accepted, but increasingly
>> states are also passing laws to legalize carrying weapons on streets, in
>> parks, in bars—even in churches.
>>
>> Many are startled to learn that the U.S. Supreme Court didn’t rule that the
>> Second Amendment guarantees an individual’s right to own a gun until 2008,
>> when District of Columbia v. Heller struck down the capital’s law effectively
>> banning handguns in the home. In fact, every other time the court had ruled
>> previously, it had ruled otherwise.
>
> Try again:
>
> Dred Scott v. Sandford (1857)
>
> A case that hinged around the notion that a former black slave was not a
> citizen.. and among the items in the ruling which any citizen could do, we find
> this.
>
> "For if they were so received, and entitled to the privileges and immunities of
> citizens, it would exempt them from the operation of the special laws and from
> the police regulations which they considered to be necessary for their own
> satiety. It would give to persons of the negro race, who were recognized as
> citizens in any one State of the Union, the right to enter every other State
> whenever they pleased, singly or in companies, without pass or passport, and
> without obstruction, to sojourn there as long as they pleased, to go where they
> pleased at every hour of the day or night without molestation, unless they
> committed some violation of law for which a white man would be punished; and it
> would give them the full liberty of speech in public and in private upon all
> subjects upon which its own citizens might speak; to hold public meetings upon
> political affairs, and to keep and carry arms"
>
> IOW.. if blacks were actually citizens they could "keep and carry arms".

That doesn't mean that the court in Dred Scott was saying the right to arms is
an individual right.