The less time planning, the more time programming.

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: Mercury in retrograde motion

SubjectAuthor
* Mercury in retrograde motionkellehe...@gmail.com
+- Re: Mercury in retrograde motionfred k. engels®
+* Re: Mercury in retrograde motionStarDust
|`* Re: Mercury in retrograde motionQuadibloc
| `- Re: Mercury in retrograde motionkellehe...@gmail.com
`- Re: Mercury in retrograde motionkellehe...@gmail.com

1
Mercury in retrograde motion

<bb8df4ac-9c95-477a-92d2-004e427d028dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7500&group=sci.astro.amateur#7500

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 10:15:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Mercury in retrograde motion
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (kellehe...@gmail.com)
 by: kellehe...@gmail.com - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 18:15 UTC

The faster moving Mercury is currently overtaking the slower moving Earth as our two planets moving around the central Sun at the focus of the time lapse-

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

There are many things to remark upon and anyone can do it although it is all new and made possible by the satellite.

I am glad that it will eventually make it into wider circulation, regardless of its origins in this newsgroup and the effort that went into streamlining the references and observations to make it a simple perceptive interpretation.

Re: Mercury in retrograde motion

<sscj3e$15dk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7501&group=sci.astro.amateur#7501

From: kengels....@realKeP20vens.house (fred k. engels®)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Subject: Re: Mercury in retrograde motion
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 13:10:05 -0800
 by: fred k. engels® - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 21:10 UTC

Smaller targets are harder to hit.

Re: Mercury in retrograde motion

<7757890c-7827-4f29-81c6-6f4bb92edaa1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7502&group=sci.astro.amateur#7502

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 16:56:28 -0800 (PST)
From: csok...@gmail.com (StarDust)
 by: StarDust - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 00:56 UTC

On Thursday, January 20, 2022 at 10:15:04 AM UTC-8, kellehe...@gmail.com wrote:
> The faster moving Mercury is currently overtaking the slower moving Earth as our two planets moving around the central Sun at the focus of the time lapse-
>
> https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/
>
> There are many things to remark upon and anyone can do it although it is all new and made possible by the satellite.
>
> I am glad that it will eventually make it into wider circulation, regardless of its origins in this newsgroup and the effort that went into streamlining the references and observations to make it a simple perceptive interpretation.

Why is Earth slower moving?
Bigger than mercury!

Re: Mercury in retrograde motion

<cdd07412-ffa1-49f5-9fd3-ff895af19bf2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7525&group=sci.astro.amateur#7525

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 01:17:05 -0800 (PST)
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (kellehe...@gmail.com)
 by: kellehe...@gmail.com - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 09:17 UTC

On an early dawn walk, any observer will see Venus shining brightly to the right of the Sun as a number of weeks ago, it would be seen as a twilight appearance to the left of the Sun. Mercury now is currently transitioning to the dawn appearance and the right of the Sun presently, although more elusive than Venus in its smaller circuit of the Sun-

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

No doubt there will be a lot of hype about virtual reality (metaverse) and no doubt some aspects of that endeavour will be worthwhile and productive, however, much like people like to visit the cinema or Disneyland without living there, they can always keep genuine observations with them like the sight of Venus today before returning to their daily business.

https://www.theplanetstoday.com/

The flighty individual will sell the individual a product yet nothing is required of the genuine observer and reader only their time and a small effort to get themselves accustomed to the proper use of technology to make their existence more intimate and abundant from the experience.

It may be that even those presently engaged in magnification, photography and celestial sphere observing will see even their hobby lost rather than work towards expanding the exercise to include the observational context of solar system structure, cause and effect, larger celestial structures and so on.

Re: Mercury in retrograde motion

<2ec6cf31-932e-4997-ab40-55f1fd344bd5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7538&group=sci.astro.amateur#7538

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 23:00:33 -0800 (PST)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 07:00 UTC

On Thursday, January 20, 2022 at 5:56:29 PM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:

> Why is Earth slower moving?
> Bigger than mercury!

No, that has nothing to do with it.

The orbital period of a planet is determined solely by the semi-major axis
of its orbit. As Kepler wrote (in book 5 of _Harmonices Mundi_):

Sed res est certissima exactissimaque, quod proportio que est inter binorum
quorumcunque Planetarum tempora periodica, sit pracise sesquialtera
proportionis mediarum distantiarum, id est Orbitum ipsorum; attento
tamen hoc, quod medium arithmeticum inter utramque diametrum elliptica
Orbita sit paulo minus longiore diametro.

But this thing is most certainly most exact, that the proportion
which is between the temporal periods of any two planets is precisely
the sesququadrate proportion between their distances, that is, their
orbits, giving attention to this, that the arithmetic mean between the
two diameters of an elliptic orbit is less than the length of its diameter.

I could also mention the possibly apocryphal story of Galileo
dropping a small and a large cannonball from the Leaning Tower of
Pisa, but there are those in this group who would consider objectionable
the suggestion that gravity has any connection with the orbits of the
planets.

John Savard

Re: Mercury in retrograde motion

<26052e65-79ca-4a32-9ab5-a97ee83acc2an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7539&group=sci.astro.amateur#7539

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 23:13:15 -0800 (PST)
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (kellehe...@gmail.com)
 by: kellehe...@gmail.com - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 07:13 UTC

Mercury is now moving to a dawn appearance to the right of the stationary/central Sun-

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

As it shows more of its bright hemisphere the further from the Sun from our perspective, its phase brightens as it exits the range of the satellite camera. When it reappears moving in direct motion behind the Sun, it will show its light hemisphere, so will be fully dazzling as a spectacle in a number of months.