From: ckg...@f???rbes.com (Carol Kinsey Goman)
Subject: Re: "A conservative case for an assault weapons ban"
Newsgroups: misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 13:36:32 -0700
 by: Carol Kinsey Goman - Wed, 3 May 2023 20:36 UTC

On 12/20/2012 6:55 PM, scooter lied:

> "Carol Kinsey Goman" <ckg@förbes.com> wrote in message
>> On 12/20/2012 5:54 PM, Gray Guest wrote:
>>> Carol Kinsey Goman <ckg@förbes.com> wrote in

>>> No docuhebag. I've been arguing this for years. ALL of the antigun
>>> arguments have been demolished time after time.
>>
>> Not so. The argument that the second amendment - or any other concept
>> of rights - does *NOT* guarantee you the right to *ANY* weapon you
>> might wish to have is sound, and correct.
>
> Fine... So let's see you show us the text in the 2nd that supports your
> claim.

This isn't about the text of the amendment.  It's about the meaning of the
right.  The right is not a right to just whatever guns you wish to have.

>> You may not keep an Abrams tank at your house for defense. End Of Story.
>
> Well actually a number of people own tanks, and

You may not keep an Abrams tank with live shells for its 120mm main gun or its
..50 or 7.62mm machine guns. No second amendment violation results from
prohibiting those to you. You also may not have an operable cruise missiles with
warheads, nor anti-aircraft guns with live ammunition for them. As always, no
second amendment violation results from such a prohibition.

There are all kinds of arms that you are forbidden to own lawfully, and there is
no second amendment violation involved. That's just how it is.