From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: 208-230 vs 230
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 18:54:41 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 2 May 2023 01:54 UTC

I am looking at motors right now and notice some are labeled 208-230 and
some are labeled just 230.

I do not need a lecture on the difference between star and delta. I am
aware that tap to tap is 230(ish) on delta, and tap to tap is 208(ish)
in star services. I've worked on both. When I was a kid we converted
our grocery store (when we expanded it) to star because my dad believed
is was more efficient and cost less to operate if we kept the load
pretty well balanced. I don't know if he was right or not. I'm just
familiar with the practical applications. I was the one maintaining our
refrigeration equipment by my mid teens.

What got me is that most of the 208-230 labeled single phase motors are
cheaper than the 230V labeled single phase motors. This makes no sense
to me. 208-230V motors would need to be able to operate at slightly
higher current which could theoretically mean marginally larger windings
and/or better cooling. Why would they be priced lower? Why would
anybody with 3 phase be running a single phase compressor anyway other
than maybe as an emergency backup.

Your typical single phase or more accurately split phase small shop or
home shop in the US will have 230V(ish) from L1 to L2. My service runs
about 234-236.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: 208-230 vs 230

<dab25ilb7jmjr66kfmvbgfuteabsudpeqg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7550&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7550

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: 208-230 vs 230
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 11:34:08 -0400
 by: Joe Gwinn - Tue, 2 May 2023 15:34 UTC

On Mon, 1 May 2023 18:54:41 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
wrote:

>I am looking at motors right now and notice some are labeled 208-230 and
>some are labeled just 230.
>
>I do not need a lecture on the difference between star and delta. I am
>aware that tap to tap is 230(ish) on delta, and tap to tap is 208(ish)
>in star services. I've worked on both. When I was a kid we converted
>our grocery store (when we expanded it) to star because my dad believed
>is was more efficient and cost less to operate if we kept the load
>pretty well balanced. I don't know if he was right or not. I'm just
>familiar with the practical applications. I was the one maintaining our
>refrigeration equipment by my mid teens.
>
>What got me is that most of the 208-230 labeled single phase motors are
>cheaper than the 230V labeled single phase motors. This makes no sense
>to me. 208-230V motors would need to be able to operate at slightly
>higher current which could theoretically mean marginally larger windings
>and/or better cooling. Why would they be priced lower? Why would
>anybody with 3 phase be running a single phase compressor anyway other
>than maybe as an emergency backup.
>
>Your typical single phase or more accurately split phase small shop or
>home shop in the US will have 230V(ish) from L1 to L2. My service runs
>about 234-236.

Probably determined by relative sales volumes.

Joe Gwinn

Re: 208-230 vs 230

<0g265itpt9s9ovp8906c6r5tj218eb61r3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7574&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7574

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 03 May 2023 21:28:10 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Thu, 4 May 2023 01:28 UTC

On Tue, 02 May 2023 11:34:08 -0400, Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Mon, 1 May 2023 18:54:41 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
>wrote:
>
>>I am looking at motors right now and notice some are labeled 208-230 and
>>some are labeled just 230.
>>
>>I do not need a lecture on the difference between star and delta. I am
>>aware that tap to tap is 230(ish) on delta, and tap to tap is 208(ish)
>>in star services. I've worked on both. When I was a kid we converted
>>our grocery store (when we expanded it) to star because my dad believed
>>is was more efficient and cost less to operate if we kept the load
>>pretty well balanced. I don't know if he was right or not. I'm just
>>familiar with the practical applications. I was the one maintaining our
>>refrigeration equipment by my mid teens.
>>
>>What got me is that most of the 208-230 labeled single phase motors are
>>cheaper than the 230V labeled single phase motors. This makes no sense
>>to me. 208-230V motors would need to be able to operate at slightly
>>higher current which could theoretically mean marginally larger windings
>>and/or better cooling. Why would they be priced lower? Why would
>>anybody with 3 phase be running a single phase compressor anyway other
>>than maybe as an emergency backup.
>>
>>Your typical single phase or more accurately split phase small shop or
>>home shop in the US will have 230V(ish) from L1 to L2. My service runs
>>about 234-236.
>
>Probably determined by relative sales volumes.
>
>Joe Gwinn
My thoughts exactly. Also the 208/230 motor is likely a different
manufacturer than the 230