From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Uniformity shall prevail !
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 19:35:29 -0500
 by: Snag - Tue, 9 May 2023 00:35 UTC

As soon as the plugs I just ordered arrive I will have a uniform plug
system for all 220v welding and cutting machines . Actually I already
have everything but the plasma cutter on the 50 amp 3 prong dryer type
outlet . Changing the plasma over means that I will now have an
extension cord for the TIG and MIG (and an open 220 slot in my panel) .
I wired it from the panel with a long lead to the plug since I didn't
really want to burn my shop down . It will now plug into the welder
outlet instead of coming from the panel .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: Uniformity shall prevail !

<u3drbm$abav$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7603&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7603

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Uniformity shall prevail !
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 09:11:34 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 9 May 2023 16:11 UTC

On 5/8/2023 5:35 PM, Snag wrote:
>   As soon as the plugs I just ordered arrive I will have a uniform plug
> system for all 220v welding and cutting machines . Actually I already
> have everything but the plasma cutter on the 50 amp 3 prong dryer type
> outlet . Changing the plasma over means that I will now have an
> extension cord for the TIG and MIG (and an open 220 slot in my panel) .
> I wired it from the panel with a long lead to the plug since I didn't
> really want to burn my shop down . It will now plug into the welder
> outlet instead of coming from the panel .

I've got different plugs all over the shop. Cross blade for 20 amp
circuits (some mills and bandsaw). Twists locks for 30 amp KMB1,
SB1028F, and PM1440. 4 pin dryer plug for 50 amp (welders only).

While I am not crazy about it I do have 2 50 amp extension cords if I
need to weld in the front of the shop. The TIG and plasma came with
the same 50 amp plug. I put the same plug on the Miller MIG even though
the manual says I should put it on a 65 amp circuit.

I like torch cuts better than plasma. Its faster and I can cut cleaner
(straighter) with it. The plasma has two advantages, but most of the
time the torch is better for me. Plasma will "cut" aluminum. Steal slag
is easier to clean up with plasma.

I'm thinking about daisy chaining a couple 20 amp cross blade outlets in
the back of the shop off my one (1) open circuit on a sub panel if I can
find a cross link plate for the outer poles on the high density breaker.

--
Bob La Londe
Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a

www.avg.com