Real programmers don't comment their code. It was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Re: PING ! Bob La Londe

SubjectAuthor
* PING ! Bob La LondeSnag
+* Re: PING ! Bob La LondeBob La Londe
|+* Re: PING ! Bob La LondeJoe Gwinn
||`- Re: PING ! Bob La LondeBob La Londe
|+* Re: PING ! Bob La LondeDavid Billington
||`* Re: PING ! Bob La Londeshiggins
|| `* Re: PING ! Bob La LondeSnag
||  `* Re: PING ! Bob La LondeDavid Billington
||   `- Re: PING ! Bob La LondeBob La Londe
|`* Re: PING ! Bob La LondeSnag
| `- Re: PING ! Bob La LondeJim Wilkins
`- Re: brazing carbide insertsGlen Walpert

1
PING ! Bob La Londe

<u3gv23$pv55$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7605&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7605

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: PING ! Bob La Londe
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 15:33:10 -0500
 by: Snag - Wed, 10 May 2023 20:33 UTC

Or anyone else with pertinent information ...
Did I see you post something a while back about brazing carbide ? I
have some brazed boring bars (for my boring head) that are chewed up ,
and a stash of high quality solid carbide router bits ...
I have regular brazing rod with and without flux , regular brazing
flux , and phosphor bronze TIG filler .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: PING ! Bob La Londe

<u3gvnf$prqs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7606&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7606

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: PING ! Bob La Londe
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 13:44:31 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 10 May 2023 20:44 UTC

On 5/10/2023 1:33 PM, Snag wrote:
>     Or anyone else with pertinent information ...
>  Did I see you post something a while back about brazing carbide ? I
> have some brazed boring bars (for my boring head) that are chewed up ,
> and a stash of high quality solid carbide router bits ...
>   I have regular brazing rod with and without flux , regular brazing
> flux , and  phosphor bronze TIG filler .

It wasn't me. At least not in a meaningful or useful way. I thought
you were the one talking about brazing carbide for a glass blower or
something like that a while back. Now I am all confused.

The toughest thing I ever brazed was refrigeration lines with self
fluxing silvphos15. I did it with OA and kept blowing out lines in
place. In the end I made the assembly on the welding table and
connected it in with flair fittings. More recently a refrigeration tech
said he has better luck with a turbo torch with just air instead of OA.

Sorry that's all I got.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: PING ! Bob La Londe

<7b4o5ipbg2ouptua6oalv0pe2th9hg1k2b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7607&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7607

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 17:54:59 -0400
 by: Joe Gwinn - Wed, 10 May 2023 21:54 UTC

On Wed, 10 May 2023 13:44:31 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
wrote:

>On 5/10/2023 1:33 PM, Snag wrote:
>>     Or anyone else with pertinent information ...
>>  Did I see you post something a while back about brazing carbide ? I
>> have some brazed boring bars (for my boring head) that are chewed up ,
>> and a stash of high quality solid carbide router bits ...
>>   I have regular brazing rod with and without flux , regular brazing
>> flux , and  phosphor bronze TIG filler .
>

>It wasn't me. At least not in a meaningful or useful way. I thought
>you were the one talking about brazing carbide for a glass blower or
>something like that a while back. Now I am all confused.
>
>The toughest thing I ever brazed was refrigeration lines with self
>fluxing silvphos15. I did it with OA and kept blowing out lines in
>place. In the end I made the assembly on the welding table and
>connected it in with flair fittings. More recently a refrigeration tech
>said he has better luck with a turbo torch with just air instead of OA.

It sounds like the OA torch did not have the needed total BTUs per
second to get the assembly up to brazing temperature. The OA may also
have been too hot in one place. From what I've read, for OA, one
would use a rosebud torch. I always used acetylene-air or
propane-air. Sometimes I build a muffle from stacked fire bricks.

Joe Gwinn

Re: PING ! Bob La Londe

<u3h56b$qmki$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7608&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7608

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 23:17:47 +0100
 by: David Billington - Wed, 10 May 2023 22:17 UTC

On 10/05/2023 21:44, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 1:33 PM, Snag wrote:
>>      Or anyone else with pertinent information ...
>>   Did I see you post something a while back about brazing carbide ? I
>> have some brazed boring bars (for my boring head) that are chewed up
>> , and a stash of high quality solid carbide router bits ...
>>    I have regular brazing rod with and without flux , regular brazing
>> flux , and  phosphor bronze TIG filler .
>

> It wasn't me.  At least not in a meaningful or useful way.  I thought
> you were the one talking about brazing carbide for a glass blower or
> something like that a while back.  Now I am all confused.
>
> The toughest thing I ever brazed was refrigeration lines with self
> fluxing silvphos15.  I did it with OA and kept blowing out lines in
> place.  In the end I made the assembly on the welding table and
> connected it in with flair fittings.  More recently a refrigeration
> tech said he has better luck with a turbo torch with just air instead
> of OA.
>
> Sorry that's all I got.

When I've used Silphos rod for brazing copper I've just used the likes
of a Benzomatic/Rotherberger propane/MAPP torch and no problem at all
getting it to the right temperature even for larger tube like 15mm
plumbing tube. I tried to instruct someone else and she was like a deer
in the headlight lights and overheated it even with one of those as she
was concentrating all the heat in one spot, got it done in the end
though once she got used to it. I have in the past used OA for soft
soldering as it gave me better control but you need to know how to move
the torch to control and get the heat where required.

Re: PING ! Bob La Londe

<u3h59r$qaic$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7609&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7609

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 15:19:39 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 10 May 2023 22:19 UTC

On 5/10/2023 2:54 PM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
> On Wed, 10 May 2023 13:44:31 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/10/2023 1:33 PM, Snag wrote:
>>>     Or anyone else with pertinent information ...
>>>  Did I see you post something a while back about brazing carbide ? I
>>> have some brazed boring bars (for my boring head) that are chewed up ,
>>> and a stash of high quality solid carbide router bits ...
>>>   I have regular brazing rod with and without flux , regular brazing
>>> flux , and  phosphor bronze TIG filler .
>>

>> It wasn't me. At least not in a meaningful or useful way. I thought
>> you were the one talking about brazing carbide for a glass blower or
>> something like that a while back. Now I am all confused.
>>
>> The toughest thing I ever brazed was refrigeration lines with self
>> fluxing silvphos15. I did it with OA and kept blowing out lines in
>> place. In the end I made the assembly on the welding table and
>> connected it in with flair fittings. More recently a refrigeration tech
>> said he has better luck with a turbo torch with just air instead of OA.
>
> It sounds like the OA torch did not have the needed total BTUs per
> second to get the assembly up to brazing temperature. The OA may also
> have been too hot in one place. From what I've read, for OA, one
> would use a rosebud torch. I always used acetylene-air or
> propane-air. Sometimes I build a muffle from stacked fire bricks.
>
> Joe Gwinn

I was easily able to do it on the bench. Out of position on the
compressor I kept blowing it out. Drove me bonkers. I was using a
welding tip. Using a rosebud never occurred to me. About the only time
I use the rosebud is either for a quick forging job, or for welding
preheat.
--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: PING ! Bob La Londe

<e5b60bb7-be7e-a018-6c92-76b8423cb5ad@cox.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7610&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7610

From: shiggi...@cox.net (shiggins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 17:53:42 -0500
 by: shiggins - Wed, 10 May 2023 22:53 UTC

On 5/10/2023 5:17 PM, David Billington wrote:
> On 10/05/2023 21:44, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> On 5/10/2023 1:33 PM, Snag wrote:
>>>      Or anyone else with pertinent information ...
>>>   Did I see you post something a while back about brazing carbide ? I
>>> have some brazed boring bars (for my boring head) that are chewed up
>>> , and a stash of high quality solid carbide router bits ...
>>>    I have regular brazing rod with and without flux , regular brazing
>>> flux , and  phosphor bronze TIG filler .
>>

>> It wasn't me.  At least not in a meaningful or useful way.  I thought
>> you were the one talking about brazing carbide for a glass blower or
>> something like that a while back.  Now I am all confused.
>>
>> The toughest thing I ever brazed was refrigeration lines with self
>> fluxing silvphos15.  I did it with OA and kept blowing out lines in
>> place.  In the end I made the assembly on the welding table and
>> connected it in with flair fittings.  More recently a refrigeration
>> tech said he has better luck with a turbo torch with just air instead
>> of OA.
>>
>> Sorry that's all I got.
>>

> When I've used Silphos rod for brazing copper I've just used the likes
> of a Benzomatic/Rotherberger propane/MAPP torch and no problem at all
> getting it to the right temperature even for larger tube like 15mm
> plumbing tube. I tried to instruct someone else and she was like a deer
> in the headlight lights and overheated it even with one of those as she
> was concentrating all the heat in one spot, got it done in the end
> though once she got used to it. I have in the past used OA for soft
> soldering as it gave me better control but you need to know how to move
> the torch to control and get the heat where required.

I've done a lot of brazing using the prefluxed brazing rod and silphos.
I have 2 OA torch setups, a Victor Journeyman and a Uniweld. For both I
use a "0" welding tip with 5# oxy and 5# acetylene. I prefer neutral
flame color.
For copper to copper and copper to brass I use the silphos moving the
flametip slowly along the weld path. When it gets red and not yet cherry
I start dippin and movin. I haven't burned through I think due to the
fact I don't stay in one place with the flame tip.
For steel to steel or steel to anything else I use the prefluxed brazing
rod. I don't know the composition but it looks like brass or brass
alloy. I get a spot almost yellow before I dip the rod. If you get the
temp right you can lay the rod down in the path of the tip and it will
flow nicely.
I've had good luck with these methods. YMMV

Steve

Re: PING ! Bob La Londe

<u3hqk2$10a99$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7611&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7611

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 23:23:27 -0500
 by: Snag - Thu, 11 May 2023 04:23 UTC

On 5/10/2023 5:53 PM, shiggins wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 5:17 PM, David Billington wrote:
>>>

>>> It wasn't me.  At least not in a meaningful or useful way.  I thought
>>> you were the one talking about brazing carbide for a glass blower or
>>> something like that a while back.  Now I am all confused.
>>>
>>> The toughest thing I ever brazed was refrigeration lines with self
>>> fluxing silvphos15.  I did it with OA and kept blowing out lines in
>>> place.  In the end I made the assembly on the welding table and
>>> connected it in with flair fittings.  More recently a refrigeration
>>> tech said he has better luck with a turbo torch with just air instead
>>> of OA.
>>>
>>> Sorry that's all I got.
>>>

>> When I've used Silphos rod for brazing copper I've just used the likes
>> of a Benzomatic/Rotherberger propane/MAPP torch and no problem at all
>> getting it to the right temperature even for larger tube like 15mm
>> plumbing tube. I tried to instruct someone else and she was like a
>> deer in the headlight lights and overheated it even with one of those
>> as she was concentrating all the heat in one spot, got it done in the
>> end though once she got used to it. I have in the past used OA for
>> soft soldering as it gave me better control but you need to know how
>> to move the torch to control and get the heat where required.
>>
> I've done a lot of brazing using the prefluxed brazing rod and silphos.
> I have 2 OA torch setups, a Victor Journeyman and a Uniweld. For both I
> use a "0" welding tip with 5# oxy and 5# acetylene. I prefer neutral
> flame color.
> For copper to copper and copper to brass I use the silphos moving the
> flametip slowly along the weld path. When it gets red and not yet cherry
> I start dippin and movin. I haven't burned through I think due to the
> fact I don't stay in one place with the flame tip.
> For steel to steel or steel to anything else I use the prefluxed brazing
> rod. I don't know the composition but it looks like brass or brass
> alloy.  I get a spot almost yellow before I dip the rod.  If you get the
> temp right you can lay the rod down in the path of the tip and it will
> flow nicely.
> I've had good luck with these methods.  YMMV
>
> Steve

Gee , thanks guys for all the responses ... I guess I should have
been more specific on the information I was seeking . I was looking for
information on filler rod composition and type of flux to use .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: PING ! Bob La Londe

<u3hr0l$10b76$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7612&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7612

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 23:30:10 -0500
 by: Snag - Thu, 11 May 2023 04:30 UTC

On 5/10/2023 3:44 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 1:33 PM, Snag wrote:
>>      Or anyone else with pertinent information ...
>>   Did I see you post something a while back about brazing carbide ? I
>> have some brazed boring bars (for my boring head) that are chewed up ,
>> and a stash of high quality solid carbide router bits ...
>>    I have regular brazing rod with and without flux , regular brazing
>> flux , and  phosphor bronze TIG filler .
>

> It wasn't me.  At least not in a meaningful or useful way.  I thought
> you were the one talking about brazing carbide for a glass blower or
> something like that a while back.  Now I am all confused.
>
> The toughest thing I ever brazed was refrigeration lines with self
> fluxing silvphos15.  I did it with OA and kept blowing out lines in
> place.  In the end I made the assembly on the welding table and
> connected it in with flair fittings.  More recently a refrigeration tech
> said he has better luck with a turbo torch with just air instead of OA.
>
> Sorry that's all I got.

I was making glass bead mandrels , TIG welding TIG electrode pieces
to SS handles with Invar42 nickel/iron filler .
She doesn't call me any more . I think she found out about my
conservative leanings ... she's friends with the libs at the (dead)end
of our road , might have seen my Trump flags <grin> .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: PING ! Bob La Londe

<u3igge$12ngb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7613&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7613

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 06:35:51 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Thu, 11 May 2023 10:35 UTC

"Snag" wrote in message news:u3hr0l$10b76$1@dont-email.me...

I was making glass bead mandrels , TIG welding TIG electrode pieces
to SS handles with Invar42 nickel/iron filler .
She doesn't call me any more . I think she found out about my
conservative leanings ... she's friends with the libs at the (dead)end
of our road , might have seen my Trump flags <grin> .
Snag

--------------------

They preach tolerance, but only for their own beliefs.

Re: brazing carbide inserts

<nL57M.19140$i7t3.142@fx08.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7614&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7614

From: nos...@null.void (Glen Walpert)
Subject: Re: brazing carbide inserts
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 13:06:27 GMT
 by: Glen Walpert - Thu, 11 May 2023 13:06 UTC

On Wed, 10 May 2023 15:33:10 -0500, Snag wrote:

> Or anyone else with pertinent information ...
> Did I see you post something a while back about brazing carbide ? I
> have some brazed boring bars (for my boring head) that are chewed up ,
> and a stash of high quality solid carbide router bits ...
> I have regular brazing rod with and without flux , regular brazing
> flux , and phosphor bronze TIG filler .

The method I used ~40 years when I did this on a semi-regular basis on
large lathe bits used for roughing forgings:

Heat end of tool to melt braze. I used O/A back then but today I would use
my turbo-torch with a 5 or 6 tip, and flip out the old insert. Allow to
cool, coat the insert socket with brazing flux, place ~.002" brass shim
stock cut to fit, coat insert with flux and place on shim stock, heat
slowly to dry out and melt flux then heat rapidly from the bottom of the
tool not directly on carbide until brass melts and flows.

This worked really well using 3/4" square ~3/16" thick inserts made for
use in brazed tools, not sure if it will work with all grades of carbide.

Glen

Re: PING ! Bob La Londe

<u3jbm6$15tu4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7615&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7615

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 19:20:54 +0100
 by: David Billington - Thu, 11 May 2023 18:20 UTC

On 11/05/2023 05:23, Snag wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 5:53 PM, shiggins wrote:

>>> When I've used Silphos rod for brazing copper I've just used the
>>> likes of a Benzomatic/Rotherberger propane/MAPP torch and no problem
>>> at all getting it to the right temperature even for larger tube like
>>> 15mm plumbing tube. I tried to instruct someone else and she was
>>> like a deer in the headlight lights and overheated it even with one
>>> of those as she was concentrating all the heat in one spot, got it
>>> done in the end though once she got used to it. I have in the past
>>> used OA for soft soldering as it gave me better control but you need
>>> to know how to move the torch to control and get the heat where
>>> required.
>>>
>> I've done a lot of brazing using the prefluxed brazing rod and silphos.
>> I have 2 OA torch setups, a Victor Journeyman and a Uniweld. For both
>> I use a "0" welding tip with 5# oxy and 5# acetylene. I prefer
>> neutral flame color.
>> For copper to copper and copper to brass I use the silphos moving the
>> flametip slowly along the weld path. When it gets red and not yet
>> cherry I start dippin and movin. I haven't burned through I think due
>> to the fact I don't stay in one place with the flame tip.
>> For steel to steel or steel to anything else I use the prefluxed
>> brazing rod. I don't know the composition but it looks like brass or
>> brass alloy.  I get a spot almost yellow before I dip the rod.  If
>> you get the temp right you can lay the rod down in the path of the
>> tip and it will flow nicely.
>> I've had good luck with these methods.  YMMV
>>
>> Steve
>
>   Gee , thanks guys for all the responses ... I guess I should have
> been more specific on the information I was seeking . I was looking
> for information on filler rod composition and type of flux to use .

On the subject of flux I was told regarding silver soldering inserts to
use a more active flux intended for stainless steel rather than one
intended for steel.

Re: PING ! Bob La Londe

<u3jc3f$15uvu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7616&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7616

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 11:27:58 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Thu, 11 May 2023 18:27 UTC

On 5/11/2023 11:20 AM, David Billington wrote:
> On 11/05/2023 05:23, Snag wrote:

>>> I've done a lot of brazing using the prefluxed brazing rod and silphos.
>>> I have 2 OA torch setups, a Victor Journeyman and a Uniweld. For both
>>> I use a "0" welding tip with 5# oxy and 5# acetylene. I prefer
>>> neutral flame color.
>>> For copper to copper and copper to brass I use the silphos moving the
>>> flametip slowly along the weld path. When it gets red and not yet
>>> cherry I start dippin and movin. I haven't burned through I think due
>>> to the fact I don't stay in one place with the flame tip.
>>> For steel to steel or steel to anything else I use the prefluxed
>>> brazing rod. I don't know the composition but it looks like brass or
>>> brass alloy.  I get a spot almost yellow before I dip the rod.  If
>>> you get the temp right you can lay the rod down in the path of the
>>> tip and it will flow nicely.
>>> I've had good luck with these methods.  YMMV
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
>>   Gee , thanks guys for all the responses ... I guess I should have
>> been more specific on the information I was seeking . I was looking
>> for information on filler rod composition and type of flux to use .
>
> On the subject of flux I was told regarding silver soldering inserts to
> use a more active flux intended for stainless steel rather than one
> intended for steel.

That makes sense since the chromium oxide layer is less reactive than
the iron.
--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff