From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Subject: Re: Astronomers rally against "satellite constellations"
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 14:37:40 -0700
 by: Chris L Peterson - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 21:37 UTC

On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 07:49:33 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
wrote:

>https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60262100

It's a lost cause. There are only a handful of professional projects
where this matters, and most can use technical means to mitigate any
serious problems. Sure, some policy about what is acceptable makes
sense, but the reality is there's room, and a likely need, for tens of
thousands of satellites.

And, of course, the same inexpensive access to space that makes this
possible also makes it possible for the small number of impacted
projects to move there, too.

Re: Astronomers rally against "satellite constellations"

<09e05ab9-624c-4ead-a96d-e536ce5f4fd1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7601&group=sci.astro.amateur#7601

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 21:16:40 -0800 (PST)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 05:16 UTC

On Friday, February 4, 2022 at 2:37:44 PM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

> And, of course, the same inexpensive access to space that makes this
> possible also makes it possible for the small number of impacted
> projects to move there, too.

I'll believe "inexpensive access to space" when I see it. While companies
like SpaceX certainly are reducing the cost of putting payloads into orbit,
we're still not talking about the kind of small change a single University
can find room for in its research budget.
If we were talking about a project that met real human needs, instead
of just making money for one company, then indeed 'pollution', especially
when relatively minor, would have to be balanced against benefits.
But that this is going to bring the Internet to the Third World? Sorry, I think
you've just swallowed the hype.

John Savard

Re: Astronomers rally against "satellite constellations"

<an3tvg97q8cds89cuq0g934i70dnubm67u@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7606&group=sci.astro.amateur#7606

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 07:53:44 -0700
 by: Chris L Peterson - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 14:53 UTC

On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 21:16:40 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca>
wrote:

>On Friday, February 4, 2022 at 2:37:44 PM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:
>
>> And, of course, the same inexpensive access to space that makes this
>> possible also makes it possible for the small number of impacted
>> projects to move there, too.
>
>I'll believe "inexpensive access to space" when I see it. While companies
>like SpaceX certainly are reducing the cost of putting payloads into orbit,
>we're still not talking about the kind of small change a single University
>can find room for in its research budget.
>If we were talking about a project that met real human needs, instead
>of just making money for one company, then indeed 'pollution', especially
>when relatively minor, would have to be balanced against benefits.
>But that this is going to bring the Internet to the Third World? Sorry, I think
>you've just swallowed the hype.

The cost of all our large ground-based telescopes and large survey
programs is on the same order as space missions cost. And the
satellite constellation doesn't impact lower budget astronomy.

Space-based Internet marks a great advance forward for humanity. It
does offer Internet to the entire world, affordably. It is an
essential next step forward, and it will certainly create wealth for
more than just the first person to do it.

Re: Astronomers rally against "satellite constellations"

<stmj46$3qo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7609&group=sci.astro.amateur#7609

From: burynulP...@ppllaanneett.nnll (fred k. engels®)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 11:28:04 -0800
 by: fred k. engels® - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 19:28 UTC

WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!
Prime Minister Justin Blackface just tweeted
So, How's that pretty picture astro photography horseshit® working out for
ya?
The Russcom just launched a massive new spy satellite into orbit!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EoAHdwGBvU

Re: Astronomers rally against "satellite constellations"

<2c90e02f-4922-4f87-8e02-4c8b383e6385n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7623&group=sci.astro.amateur#7623

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 22:21:09 -0800 (PST)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 06:21 UTC

On Saturday, February 5, 2022 at 7:53:48 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

> Space-based Internet marks a great advance forward for humanity. It
> does offer Internet to the entire world, affordably. It is an
> essential next step forward, and it will certainly create wealth for
> more than just the first person to do it.

I am less than optimistic about the power of "space-based Internet" to
bring about an end to all the repressive governments on the ground that are
the _real_ cause of world poverty.

If I were more optimistic about that, then I would find it to be well worth the
observational cost.

Already, satellite dishes connected to more conventional satellite Internet
have indeed helped get information to more people in the Third World, with
some economic benefits. It's not clear to me that a poor man's Iridium is
going to do vastly better than that, or even end up having much applicability
to the Third World, where people have a hard enough time affording an ordinary
cell phone.

John Savard

Re: Astronomers rally against "satellite constellations"

<h2640h9bejmg0ef0km434l54m6g4s515b1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7624&group=sci.astro.amateur#7624

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 00:16:53 -0700
 by: Chris L Peterson - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 07:16 UTC

On Mon, 7 Feb 2022 22:21:09 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca>
wrote:

>On Saturday, February 5, 2022 at 7:53:48 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:
>
>> Space-based Internet marks a great advance forward for humanity. It
>> does offer Internet to the entire world, affordably. It is an
>> essential next step forward, and it will certainly create wealth for
>> more than just the first person to do it.
>
>I am less than optimistic about the power of "space-based Internet" to
>bring about an end to all the repressive governments on the ground that are
>the _real_ cause of world poverty.
>
>If I were more optimistic about that, then I would find it to be well worth the
>observational cost.
>
>Already, satellite dishes connected to more conventional satellite Internet
>have indeed helped get information to more people in the Third World, with
>some economic benefits. It's not clear to me that a poor man's Iridium is
>going to do vastly better than that, or even end up having much applicability
>to the Third World, where people have a hard enough time affording an ordinary
>cell phone.

In most of the developed world people have cell phones. And this
satellite Internet can be delivered very inexpensively, using antennas
the size of a small tablet as long as data rates are fairly low- a few
Mbps. That opens effective Internet access to a couple of billion
people.

That's immensely empowering. Whether it ends poverty or not... well,
that's a separate issue.