"Trust me. I know what I'm doing." -- Sledge Hammer

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Re: LUCKY IDIOT

SubjectAuthor
* I feel Like An IdiotBob La Londe
+* Re: I feel Like An IdiotLeon Fisk
|`* LUCKY IDIOTBob La Londe
| `* Re: LUCKY IDIOTrandy333
|  `- Re: LUCKY IDIOTBob La Londe
+- Re: I feel Like An IdiotJim Wilkins
`* Re: I feel Like An IdiotSnag
 +* Re: I feel Like An IdiotBob La Londe
 |+* Re: I feel Like An IdiotSnag
 ||`- Re: I feel Like An IdiotBob La Londe
 |`- Re: I feel Like An IdiotJim Wilkins
 `- Re: I feel Like An IdiotJim Wilkins

1
I feel Like An Idiot

<u3rbrm$2n2ne$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7624&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7624

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: I feel Like An Idiot
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 12:12:54 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 14 May 2023 19:12 UTC

I've got the larger (and the smaller) Harbor Freight horizontal band
saws. The smaller one is now different than any other el cheapo 4x8
horizontal. The bigger one is quite good.

The Super Cut blade for the smaller band saw is a stock item and holds
up as well as any big name brand blade I have used. I don't even
consider anything else for it any more. I actually have a spare on the
wall behind the saw.

A week or two ago I was in the local HF import store and saw they had 93
inch (93-1/2) blades in stock. I was excited. No more having to order
blades and waiting for somebody to cut and weld it, or ordering blades
off eBay and hoping they did a better than average job at the blade
welder. Sure I might decide I still want Lennox M42 blades, but I
wouldn't have to keep a spare on hand all the time any more. Just pick
up a cheap blade locally and be good to go while waiting for a better
quality blade to arrive.

Well, a couple days ago my blade broke. It was pretty worn (dull), and
it gave hints of breaking (ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump) days before it
actually separated. Just to make sure I took a quick look at the saw
where I had written the correct blade size with a paint marker. 93-1/4
(okay I can adjust that much) x 3/4.

Yeah, NOPE! All the 93-1/2 stock blades at harbor freight are 1/2 inch
wide, and unlike a vertical bandsaw you cant adjust a horizontal for a
narrower blade. CRAP!

Atleast, I still have the smaller saw. Now to figure out how to swing a
12' piece of stock around so I can cut it on the 6' roller table (end
butted up to the wall) its mounted on.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: I feel Like An Idiot

<u3rdjq$2mdjg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7625&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7625

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: I feel Like An Idiot
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 15:42:50 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Sun, 14 May 2023 19:42 UTC

On Sun, 14 May 2023 12:12:54 -0700
Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:

<snip>
>Atleast, I still have the smaller saw. Now to figure out how to swing a
>12' piece of stock around so I can cut it on the 6' roller table (end
>butted up to the wall) its mounted on.

My Dad knocked a hole through our room dividing cement block wall in
the basement at bandsaw height so he could feed too long pieces in from
the opposite room ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

LUCKY IDIOT

<u3rl1a$2o495$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7626&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7626

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: LUCKY IDIOT
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 14:49:29 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 14 May 2023 21:49 UTC

On 5/14/2023 12:42 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Sun, 14 May 2023 12:12:54 -0700
> Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> Atleast, I still have the smaller saw. Now to figure out how to swing a
>> 12' piece of stock around so I can cut it on the 6' roller table (end
>> butted up to the wall) its mounted on.
>
> My Dad knocked a hole through our room dividing cement block wall in
> the basement at bandsaw height so he could feed too long pieces in from
> the opposite room ;-)

I'll move the saw before I cut a hole in the wall, but I shouldn't have
to now.

Just for the heck of it I decided to check online to see if Tractor
Supply had one. They had a blade called a "Hard Back" metal cutting
blade in 93 x 3/4. My saw will adjust that far. 24.99 and in stock. I
figured that's pretty cheap so I can risk it until some good blades come
in.

When I checked out the price was 7.49 on clearance, so I went back and
bought them all. Four blades. Even if they only last half as long as
name brand blades I'll be money ahead. They are a finer pitch than I
like, but I run coolant so chip welding in the teeth isn't a big issue.

That saw mostly gets used for aluminum. I cut most of my stainless on
the little saw with oil.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: I feel Like An Idiot

<u3rprm$2ontf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7627&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7627

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 19:10:38 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 14 May 2023 23:10 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:u3rbrm$2n2ne$1@dont-email.me...

Atleast, I still have the smaller saw. Now to figure out how to swing a
12' piece of stock around so I can cut it on the 6' roller table (end
butted up to the wall) its mounted on.

Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

---------------------------------

I put bigger, better wheels on my 4x6 and roll it outdoors to cut long
stock. My roller table is separate so it can be used with the planer, which
needs it more seriously but less often. If the stock is fairly light I
balance it on the saw and raise a support under the end(s), then move the
stock to cutting position. If too heavy I position and support it with the
platform stacker or hang it from a tripod, haven't needed to set up the
gantry for this yet. This has let it cut long 4" square steel columns and 6"
square landscaping timbers.

Its width capacity is 8" against an extra fence of angle iron attached
behind the OEM fence, which I ground parallel at the back edge to quickly
align square against the new fence after angling it.

The saw frame twists and the blade cuts crooked if the pavement under it is
uneven. I move the handle end around until the raised & lowered blade stays
very close to a try square held upright in the vise.

Re: I feel Like An Idiot

<u3rtp0$2p3k4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7628&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7628

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 19:18:37 -0500
 by: Snag - Mon, 15 May 2023 00:18 UTC

On 5/14/2023 2:12 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> I've got the larger (and the smaller) Harbor Freight horizontal band
> saws.  The smaller one is now different than any other el cheapo 4x8
> horizontal.  The bigger one is quite good.
>
> The Super Cut blade for the smaller band saw is a stock item and holds
> up as well as any big name brand blade I have used.  I don't even
> consider anything else for it any more.  I actually have a spare on the
> wall behind the saw.
>
> A week or two ago I was in the local HF import store and saw they had 93
> inch (93-1/2) blades in stock.  I was excited.  No more having to order
> blades and waiting for somebody to cut and weld it, or ordering blades
> off eBay and hoping they did a better than average job at the blade
> welder.  Sure I might decide I still want Lennox M42 blades, but I
> wouldn't have to keep a spare on hand all the time any more.  Just pick
> up a cheap blade locally and be good to go while waiting for a better
> quality blade to arrive.
>
> Well, a couple days ago my blade broke.  It was pretty worn (dull), and
> it gave hints of breaking (ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump) days before it
> actually separated.  Just to make sure I took a quick look at the saw
> where I had written the correct blade size with a paint marker.  93-1/4
> (okay I can adjust that much) x 3/4.
>
> Yeah, NOPE!  All the 93-1/2 stock blades at harbor freight are 1/2 inch
> wide, and unlike a vertical bandsaw you cant adjust a horizontal for a
> narrower blade.  CRAP!
>
> Atleast, I still have the smaller saw.  Now to figure out how to swing a
> 12' piece of stock around so I can cut it on the 6' roller table (end
> butted up to the wall) its mounted on.

I've been buying from L A Cuttng Products , and I'm happy with their
product for the price . I can't remember the last time I actually wore
one out (I get the M42) becuase I usually manage to do something stupid
and ruin it before then . Usually involves thin stock ...
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: I feel Like An Idiot

<u3s5uf$2tbks$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7629&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7629

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 19:38:06 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 15 May 2023 02:38 UTC

On 5/14/2023 5:18 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 5/14/2023 2:12 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> I've got the larger (and the smaller) Harbor Freight horizontal band
>> saws.  The smaller one is now different than any other el cheapo 4x8
>> horizontal.  The bigger one is quite good.
>>
>> The Super Cut blade for the smaller band saw is a stock item and holds
>> up as well as any big name brand blade I have used.  I don't even
>> consider anything else for it any more.  I actually have a spare on
>> the wall behind the saw.
>>
>> A week or two ago I was in the local HF import store and saw they had
>> 93 inch (93-1/2) blades in stock.  I was excited.  No more having to
>> order blades and waiting for somebody to cut and weld it, or ordering
>> blades off eBay and hoping they did a better than average job at the
>> blade welder.  Sure I might decide I still want Lennox M42 blades, but
>> I wouldn't have to keep a spare on hand all the time any more.  Just
>> pick up a cheap blade locally and be good to go while waiting for a
>> better quality blade to arrive.
>>
>> Well, a couple days ago my blade broke.  It was pretty worn (dull),
>> and it gave hints of breaking (ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump) days before
>> it actually separated.  Just to make sure I took a quick look at the
>> saw where I had written the correct blade size with a paint marker.
>> 93-1/4 (okay I can adjust that much) x 3/4.
>>
>> Yeah, NOPE!  All the 93-1/2 stock blades at harbor freight are 1/2
>> inch wide, and unlike a vertical bandsaw you cant adjust a horizontal
>> for a narrower blade.  CRAP!
>>
>> Atleast, I still have the smaller saw.  Now to figure out how to swing
>> a 12' piece of stock around so I can cut it on the 6' roller table
>> (end butted up to the wall) its mounted on.
>>

>   I've been buying from L A Cuttng Products , and I'm happy with their
> product for the price . I can't remember the last time I actually wore
> one out (I get the M42) becuase I usually manage to do something stupid
> and ruin it before then . Usually involves thin stock ...

I got a couple blades from them a long time ago. I think it was on your
recommendation. They arrived only partially welded. I contacted them
about it and got no response. The blades were okay, but both broke at
the weld before I thought they were dull. I have been buying blades
from MSC for the bigger saws, but they don't tell you that none of the
sizes they list actually exist in the warehouse. They are all cut and
welded to order so it takes a few days longer than you would think.
I've been buying the Lennox bimetal M42 blades, and the welds have never
been an issue from MSC.

On the CamBam forum I posted about this and Lloyd Sponenburgh mentioned
he also liked the SuperCut bimetal blades from Harbor Freight. I recall
having seen the name at other than Harbor Freight before so I looked
them up today. They make their premium blades in sizes that fit most
saws. You just can't buy them from Harbor Freight.

https://supercutbandsaw.com/

They sell carbon steel (pretty cheap) and bi-metal (kinda expensive) for
metal in most sizes.

The have a few options for wood in most lengths as well, but they don't
lean into the wood market like Woodcraft or Highland. I am particularly
fond of the Highland Wood Slicer for resaw work.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: I feel Like An Idiot

<u3s8t4$2toq8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7630&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7630

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 22:28:37 -0500
 by: Snag - Mon, 15 May 2023 03:28 UTC

On 5/14/2023 9:38 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> [...]
> welded to order so it takes a few days longer than you would think. I've
> been buying the Lennox bimetal M42 blades, and the welds have never been
> an issue from MSC.
>
> On the CamBam forum I posted about this and Lloyd Sponenburgh mentioned
> he also liked the SuperCut bimetal blades from Harbor Freight.  I recall
> having seen the name at other than Harbor Freight before so I looked
> them up today.  They make their premium blades in sizes that fit most
> saws.  You just can't buy them from Harbor Freight.
>
> https://supercutbandsaw.com/
>
> They sell carbon steel (pretty cheap) and bi-metal (kinda expensive) for
> metal in most sizes.
>
> The have a few options for wood in most lengths as well, but they don't
> lean into the wood market like Woodcraft or Highland.  I am particularly
> fond of the Highland Wood Slicer for resaw work.

Bummer that you got bad service from them . Everything I've bought
from them has been top notch , but then I only buy 2 sizes - Portaband
and 4x6 and both are among the most common around .
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: I feel Like An Idiot

<u3saiq$2ttgb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7631&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7631

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 20:57:13 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 15 May 2023 03:57 UTC

On 5/14/2023 8:28 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 5/14/2023 9:38 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

>>>    I've been buying from L A Cuttng Products , and I'm happy with
>>> their product for the price . I can't remember the last time I
>>> actually wore one out (I get the M42) becuase I usually manage to do
>>> something stupid and ruin it before then . Usually involves thin
>>> stock ...
>>
>> I got a couple blades from them a long time ago.  I think it was on
>> your recommendation.  They arrived only partially welded.  I contacted
>> them about it and got no response.  The blades were okay, but both
>> broke at the weld before I thought they were dull.  I have been buying
>> blades from MSC for the bigger saws, but they don't tell you that none
>> of the sizes they list actually exist in the warehouse.  They are all
>> cut and welded to order so it takes a few days longer than you would
>> think. I've been buying the Lennox bimetal M42 blades, and the welds
>> have never been an issue from MSC.
>>
>> On the CamBam forum I posted about this and Lloyd Sponenburgh
>> mentioned he also liked the SuperCut bimetal blades from Harbor
>> Freight.  I recall having seen the name at other than Harbor Freight
>> before so I looked them up today.  They make their premium blades in
>> sizes that fit most saws.  You just can't buy them from Harbor Freight.
>>
>> https://supercutbandsaw.com/
>>
>> They sell carbon steel (pretty cheap) and bi-metal (kinda expensive)
>> for metal in most sizes.
>>
>> The have a few options for wood in most lengths as well, but they
>> don't lean into the wood market like Woodcraft or Highland.  I am
>> particularly fond of the Highland Wood Slicer for resaw work.
>>

>   Bummer that you got bad service from them .

No hard feelings. I won't buy from them again if there are other
options. The blades came with an expiration date like HP printer
cartridges. LOL. (No HP printers in this shop either.)

Everything I've bought
> from them has been top notch , but then I only buy 2 sizes - Portaband
> and 4x6 and both are among the most common around .

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: I feel Like An Idiot

<u3t1ri$31dgu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7632&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7632

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 06:33:15 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Mon, 15 May 2023 10:33 UTC

"Snag" wrote in message news:u3rtp0$2p3k4$1@dont-email.me...

I've been buying from L A Cuttng Products , and I'm happy with their
product for the price . I can't remember the last time I actually wore
one out (I get the M42) becuase I usually manage to do something stupid
and ruin it before then . Usually involves thin stock ...
Snag

----------------------------

I bought these for thin tubing and angle and haven't had a problem yet.
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-BS6412-24M-2-Inch-24TPI-Bandsaw/dp/B0062IBH6A

Re: I feel Like An Idiot

<u3t35c$31ieo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7633&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7633

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 06:55:32 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Mon, 15 May 2023 10:55 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:u3s5uf$2tbks$1@dont-email.me...

On the CamBam forum I posted about this and Lloyd Sponenburgh mentioned
he also liked the SuperCut bimetal blades from Harbor Freight. I recall
having seen the name at other than Harbor Freight before so I looked
them up today. They make their premium blades in sizes that fit most
saws. You just can't buy them from Harbor Freight.

Bob La Londe

-------------------------

Thanks. I just discovered that the HF battery fluid pump is another
unexpected goodie.
https://www.harborfreight.com/battery-operated-liquid-transfer-pump-63847.html

Re: LUCKY IDIOT

<p9876i5hul885i5ic1uqtjhm4hmgbdt24g@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7637&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7637

From: randy...@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: LUCKY IDIOT
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 11:30:23 -0400
 by: randy...@aol.com - Tue, 16 May 2023 15:30 UTC

On Sun, 14 May 2023 14:49:29 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
wrote:

>Just for the heck of it I decided to check online to see if Tractor
>Supply had one. They had a blade called a "Hard Back" metal cutting
>blade in 93 x 3/4.

"HARD BACK" is just a carbon steel blade. OK for aluminum, will not
last long in SS.

Randy

Re: LUCKY IDIOT

<u40i63$3ic0g$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7638&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7638

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 11:31:30 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 16 May 2023 18:31 UTC

On 5/16/2023 8:30 AM, randy333@aol.com wrote:
> On Sun, 14 May 2023 14:49:29 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
> wrote:
>
>> Just for the heck of it I decided to check online to see if Tractor
>> Supply had one. They had a blade called a "Hard Back" metal cutting
>> blade in 93 x 3/4.
>
> "HARD BACK" is just a carbon steel blade. OK for aluminum, will not
> last long in SS.
>
> Randy

Yeah, I pretty much figured to treat them like plane carbon steel blades.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com