If God had a beard, he'd be a UNIX programmer.

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: Webb and solar system modelling

SubjectAuthor
* Webb and solar system modellingkellehe...@gmail.com
`* Re: Webb and solar system modellingkellehe...@gmail.com
 +- Re: Webb and solar system modellingQuadibloc
 `* Re: Webb and solar system modellingkellehe...@gmail.com
  `- Re: Webb and solar system modellingkellehe...@gmail.com

1
Webb and solar system modelling

<889e0c82-8583-46bd-9518-8ebba440dc85n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7613&group=sci.astro.amateur#7613

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 01:46:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Webb and solar system modelling
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (kellehe...@gmail.com)
 by: kellehe...@gmail.com - Sun, 6 Feb 2022 09:46 UTC

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

I imagine it is close to impossible to avoid looking at the relationship between the moving Earth along with the other planets as they pass between the Earth and the Sun (Venus and Mercury) or move behind the Sun as they appear moving slower or faster than the Earth.

Saturn will show up as a dawn appearance soon enough as it is currently directly behind the Sun from our slower moving point of view.

It is a frontier for those who care about solar system research, the relationship between planetary motions and Earth sciences along with many other productive and creative points of departure.

Re: Webb and solar system modelling

<6eccd488-12de-45fd-b735-653502705eefn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7646&group=sci.astro.amateur#7646

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 08:19:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Webb and solar system modelling
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (kellehe...@gmail.com)
 by: kellehe...@gmail.com - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 16:19 UTC

On Sunday, February 6, 2022 at 9:46:15 AM UTC, kellehe...@gmail.com wrote:
> https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html
>
> https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/
>
> I imagine it is close to impossible to avoid looking at the relationship between the moving Earth along with the other planets as they pass between the Earth and the Sun (Venus and Mercury) or move behind the Sun as they appear moving slower or faster than the Earth.
>
> Saturn will show up as a dawn appearance soon enough as it is currently directly behind the Sun from our slower moving point of view.
>
> It is a frontier for those who care about solar system research, the relationship between planetary motions and Earth sciences along with many other productive and creative points of departure.

I truly wish that the Webb telescope starts off research on the right foot and the 3D model of the solar system is really cool with all the orientations correct, something that is welcome from my perspective even if it would be helpful to include rotational longitudes to demonstrate the passage of the North/South poles relative to the orbital plane.

I am only sorry that researchers haven't corrected the flaw in their assigned facts to timekeeping which is right there once the observer goes to the Terrain feature at the bottom of the 3D page.

The Earth takes 365 1/4 days to orbit the Sun as a timekeeping measurement using the 24 hour clock and only the 24 hour clock. The year is not 365 1/4 days as stated, the year, as a timekeeping term can only be 365 days or 366 days in a leap year.

I think this trips up observers more than anything else as a day/night cycle corresponds to one rotation, however, a year does not correspond to one circuit of the Sun.

Re: Webb and solar system modelling

<8bde73df-bda0-4eb5-a495-a6028e699c6an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7648&group=sci.astro.amateur#7648

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 09:15:46 -0800 (PST)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 17:15 UTC

On Thursday, February 10, 2022 at 9:19:07 AM UTC-7, kellehe...@gmail.com wrote:

> The Earth takes 365 1/4 days to orbit the Sun as a timekeeping measurement using
> the 24 hour clock and only the 24 hour clock. The year is not 365 1/4 days as stated,
> the year, as a timekeeping term can only be 365 days or 366 days in a leap year.

It is hard for me to even begin to understand the meaning of such a statement.

When one is studying the orbital motion of the Earth, why would one wish to
be distracted by also considering the rotational motion of the Earth?

> I think this trips up observers more than anything else as a day/night cycle
> corresponds to one rotation, however, a year does not correspond to one
> circuit of the Sun.

Now, that is true in a way. For astronomical purposes connected with orbital
motion, the year that is of concern _is_ one circuit of the Sun. But the year that
people usually make use of is the one connected to the seasons, which, being
the tropical year, differs from the sidereal year due to the precession of the
equinoxes.

But how is using the _appropriate_ orbital period of the Earth in a given
context an error? (This, of course, is a _rhetorical_ question, as I realize that
your basis of thought on these matters is not such as to make you even
capable of addressing it.)

John Savard

Re: Webb and solar system modelling

<49f913f1-7627-41f2-8f51-37ff7b9af2e3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7649&group=sci.astro.amateur#7649

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 12:38:53 -0800 (PST)
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (kellehe...@gmail.com)
 by: kellehe...@gmail.com - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 20:38 UTC

Most contributors have been kind enough to leave comments as they are and that suits me regardless.

The reference for an orbit of the Earth was based on the annual change in position of the stars with the first dawn appearance of the stars every 10 days (Egyptian Decans) making 36 separate helical appearances plus 5 days left over-

".. on account of the procession of the rising of Sirius by one day in the course of 4 years,.. therefore it shall be, that the year of 360 days and the 5 days added to their end, so one day shall be from this day after every 4 years added to the 5 epagomenae before the new year" Canopus Decree 238 BC

That is the first major refinement of human timekeeping and should be cherished by all without objection.

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

Contemporary satellite imaging represents those heliacal risings clearly as they are a product of the orbital motion of the Earth so those who have yet to affirm this demonstration of the Earth's orbital motion cannot comment further on timekeeping terms as everything followed from that exquisite observation above whether the Egyptian astronomers or contemporary satellites.

The 'year' as a timekeeping term cannot be 365.25 days as the proportion of rotations to orbital circuits is drawn from the 1461 rotations for 4 orbital circuits of the circuit or 365 1/4 rotations per circuit. The timekeeping format turns those proportions of rotations circuit into the manageable three years of 365 days and one year of 366 days. A year is not one orbital circuit of the Sun as the term 'year' means two distinct 365/366 day values.

Re: Webb and solar system modelling

<1f634dc5-7d3c-4627-b899-9aaa60b33d99n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7650&group=sci.astro.amateur#7650

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 12:46:18 -0800 (PST)
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (kellehe...@gmail.com)
 by: kellehe...@gmail.com - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 20:46 UTC

On Thursday, February 10, 2022 at 8:38:55 PM UTC, kellehe...@gmail.com wrote:
> Most contributors have been kind enough to leave comments as they are and that suits me regardless.
>
> The reference for an orbit of the Earth was based on the annual change in position of the stars with the first dawn appearance of the stars every 10 days (Egyptian Decans) making 36 separate helical appearances plus 5 days left over-
>
> ".. on account of the procession of the rising of Sirius by one day in the course of 4 years,.. therefore it shall be, that the year of 360 days and the 5 days added to their end, so one day shall be from this day after every 4 years added to the 5 epagomenae before the new year" Canopus Decree 238 BC
>
> That is the first major refinement of human timekeeping and should be cherished by all without objection.
>
> https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/
>
> Contemporary satellite imaging represents those heliacal risings clearly as they are a product of the orbital motion of the Earth so those who have yet to affirm this demonstration of the Earth's orbital motion cannot comment further on timekeeping terms as everything followed from that exquisite observation above whether the Egyptian astronomers or contemporary satellites.
>
> The 'year' as a timekeeping term cannot be 365.25 days as the proportion of rotations to orbital circuits is drawn from the 1461 rotations for 4 orbital circuits of the circuit or 365 1/4 rotations per circuit. The timekeeping format turns those proportions of rotations circuit into the manageable three years of 365 days and one year of 366 days. A year is not one orbital circuit of the Sun as the term 'year' means two distinct 365/366 day values.

* The 'year', as a timekeeping term, cannot be 365.25 days. An orbit of the Sun can be 365.25 rotations per orbital circuit drawn from the parent observation that there are 1461 rotations for 4 orbital circuits.

The first timekeeping refinement turned those 1461 rotations in 4 orbital circuits into three years of 365 days and 1 year of 366 days, at least when planetary dynamics is taken in account. A year is not one orbital circuit of the Sun as the term 'year' has two distinct 365 days and 366 days values..

The stated value for the year on the Webb is given as 365.25 days and that is at variance with the dynamical cycles from which timekeeping, the day and the year, is drawn.